• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The ultimate split-stay thread

Thanks to everyone for all the great information on here!

Just booked our first split stay for March 2017. 3 nights PO-R room only, followed by 3 nights at BWI with a MYW package with Deluxe DP. The planning is a challenge (!) but we're looking forward to it!

Triple split stay in August:-)
4 nights Contemporary -new to us and can't wait to WALK to the Magic Kingdom
4 nights Beach Club - have been a couple of times, post Fantasy cruise
7 nights PO Riverside - stayed here once for a few nights pre-Magic cruise
:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

we leave Saturday for or first split stay trip. 4 nights @ Wilderness followed by 8 nights @ Poly. we've visited both resorts in the past but this will be our first time staying at each. can't wait!

I have a question about airport transportation as we will be flying. We are considering staying at either YC or BWI for 5 nights then AKL for 2 nights. Both will probably be Club Level. If I understand correctly, I should make a 5 night MYW reservation with an 8 day park ticket. Then a 2 night Room Only reservation for AKL. Is transportation to and from the airport tied to the room/ticket package only or can I arrange to be taken to the airport at the very end of the trip?

Also would a Disney experienced Travel Agency, be familiar with making a split stay vacation or should would I be better off working directly with Disney online reservations?

As far as Magical express goes, you can book your bus from airport on the first reservation and then book the return to airport on the second reservation. If you don't know flight times, you can always call and book it later, thats what we did for our trip coming up in Aug. :-)

I have a question about airport transportation as we will be flying. We are considering staying at either YC or BWI for 5 nights then AKL for 2 nights. Both will probably be Club Level. If I understand correctly, I should make a 5 night MYW reservation with an 8 day park ticket. Then a 2 night Room Only reservation for AKL. Is transportation to and from the airport tied to the room/ticket package only or can I arrange to be taken to the airport at the very end of the trip?

Also would a Disney experienced Travel Agency, be familiar with making a split stay vacation or should would I be better off working directly with Disney online reservations?

You can do it the way you said or just do 2 room only reservations and then buy the 8 day park ticket from somewhere like Undercover Tourist or Park Savers to save some money. I assume you aren't getting free dining promotion with the package because if that is the case then you WILL need to do a package obviously. You will be able to arrange Magical Express transportation for arrival and departure before you go, regardless if you have a MYW package then room only or 2 room only(s).

A travel agent could certainly help you if you think you need the help. It would be very easy to do it yourself though. Just go to Disney website and make both reservations (whether you do MYW package and then room only or 2 room only(s). It is really that simple. And then if you decide to buy your tickets elsewhere, then you just go into your MY Disney Experience (MDE) online or on app and just link them. It is also very easy.

This will be our first trip in nine years. After that trip, I doubt we will be back for a number of years so I really want to try to do as much as we can. The family wants to split our stay between the Poly and the YC. I really, really want to add a night or two at AKL.

This is our current scenario: 3 nights Poly CL then 4 nights YC CL
What I want to do: 2 nights Poly CL, 4 nights YC CL, 1 or 2 nights AK (regular room)

I've never done a split stay before, but it sounds pretty easy. However, I would like to get some advice from those who have experienced multiple split stays. Should we do 3 resorts or stick with 2?

I have a MYW package booked for myself and 2 DD's, husband cannot take off work so he will not be there for the package days. We are considering adding 2 nights, room-only prior to the package where all four of us can go. If my research is right, the kids and I should be able to go to guest relations and activate our package tickets to begin 2 day early and also add days to our tickets too. Is this accurate?

I would love to do a split stay but have read people have trouble with their magic bands at the second resort. They said they checked out at the first and then had to have their magic bands reprogrammed because they would not open the door for the next resort. A couple people said this and said it took a while to get the bands reprogrammed to work.

I would love to do a split stay but have read people have trouble with their magic bands at the second resort. They said they checked out at the first and then had to have their magic bands reprogrammed because they would not open the door for the next resort. A couple people said this and said it took a while to get the bands reprogrammed to work.

This is true. It has happened more than once for us and last year when we moved from CR over to the Poly, all of our bands worked except for my youngest DD's and they had to give her a generic grey band because they couldn't figure it out and she was not happy.

This upcoming trip, against my family's better judgment, we are doing another split so I'm going to be anxious to see if there's been any improvement in the process. Crossing my fingers that there will be no issues with the bands or this may be our last split as a family.

Great thread! Getting ready to book our first split stay but I have a question maybe someone here can answer.... (also asked in a separate thread about pin codes).

I am currently booked with FD at AKL from 11/26 - 12/3. I have already made my dining reservations. I would now like to cancel this reservation and book a split stay utilizing a pin code I received.

1) Should I book the two new reservations first and then cancel the old one? Should I do this online? Or call?

2) Will I be able to keep all my previously made dining reservations?

Thanks in advance!

This is true. It has happened more than once for us and last year when we moved from CR over to the Poly, all of our bands worked except for my youngest DD's and they had to give her a generic grey band because they couldn't figure it out and she was not happy.

This upcoming trip, against my family's better judgment, we are doing another split so I'm going to be anxious to see if there's been any improvement in the process. Crossing my fingers that there will be no issues with the bands or this may be our last split as a family.
Yeah I would hate to spend time fooling around with fixing magic bands. We may go ahead and try a split stay anyway.

Yeah I would hate to spend time fooling around with fixing magic bands. We may go ahead and try a split stay anyway.

I have to say, we started getting "antsy" while they were trying to figure out my DD's band at the front desk but when the manager came over, he was really apologetic, told us not to wait around any longer, gave us a generic one for her to use while they worked on hers which they did ultimately fix within a few hours. While I actually don't mind split stays, I wouldn't do more than two resorts on any given trip as I do find it can be a bit of a pain packing/unpacking. My kids and DH hate them yet they go along if I push hard enough :).

We did a split stay and had separate bands for the second part of stay. My family loved getting a second band and picking a second color. Packed each set in separate zip lock bags just to assure no issues on wearing the wrong bands on day one. It was very easy. We had no issues the entire stay with the bands. Hope you have a great stay. I was concerned about a split stay after reading the boards but planning helped. Have a magical stay! pixiedust:

Out of all our magic bands last trip (3 new ones each plus 2 each from the trip before), only one had a problem (our daughter's wouldn't open the door to our room at Beach Club). It took a few tries to fix it, but we love split stays enough we wouldn't give them up just for that. We actually added an extra one this time and are doing a 4-way split this trip instead of 3.

We will be staying one night at WL due to flight coming in a day earlier than I had originally booked. We then move over to Bay Lake for 6 nights. What do you do about getting luggage to the 2nd resort without having a car? I'm really nervous how this works now.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

We will be staying one night at WL due to flight coming in a day earlier than I had originally booked. We then move over to Bay Lake for 6 nights. What do you do about getting luggage to the 2nd resort without having a car? I'm really nervous how this works now.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Call Bell Services from your room at WL and ask them to come pick up your luggage and deliver it to BLT. Or you can bring your luggage to them.

Your luggage won't arrive at BLT until around 3 or 4, but check in isn't until 4 anyway. Once you are in your room at BLT, call their Bell Srrvices and ask them to bring up your luggage.

When we do this we hit the parks until late afternoon so we don't need access to our luggage.

Sorry I couldn't find it, so I thought I'd ask.

2 years ago we had a split stay between FQ & POR. They offered to moves us to POR or FQ for the entire trip but we declined because we wanted to experience both.

Now, we want a week at FQ (king bed) but only 5 nights are available. We could book the last 2 nights at POR (royal room). If we were offered to move our entire stay to FQ again, does anyone know if they refunded the price difference?
The royal room is much more expensive.

Out of all our magic bands last trip (3 new ones each plus 2 each from the trip before), only one had a problem (our daughter's wouldn't open the door to our room at Beach Club). It took a few tries to fix it, but we love split stays enough we wouldn't give them up just for that. We actually added an extra one this time and are doing a 4-way split this trip instead of 3.

I was coming to this thread to ask about multiple bands and saw your post.. so you had 3 new ones per person plus 2 each... so a total of 5 per person? And they all worked for any portion of your stay, correct? I am asking because as somewhat of a fashionista, I love the idea of coordinating my band to my outfit or theming our bands to our plans that day. I kind of would love to bring the 2 new bands we will get for this trip, plus my 2 old bands so I would have a total of 4. DH would probably only wear 1 since he always gets boring gray, ha! Kids would have 3 each. Is this just a recipe for disaster? I am wondering if it is difficult to keep them all straight and whether there are technical glitches.

I was coming to this thread to ask about multiple bands and saw your post.. so you had 3 new ones per person plus 2 each... so a total of 5 per person? And they all worked for any portion of your stay, correct? I am asking because as somewhat of a fashionista, I love the idea of coordinating my band to my outfit or theming our bands to our plans that day. I kind of would love to bring the 2 new bands we will get for this trip, plus my 2 old bands so I would have a total of 4. DH would probably only wear 1 since he always gets boring gray, ha! Kids would have 3 each. Is this just a recipe for disaster? I am wondering if it is difficult to keep them all straight and whether there are technical glitches.

My wife also likes to color coordinate her MBs with her outfit and she has 5 right now and our last trip all 5 worked for everything. My son and I each have 3 and all of them worked for everything too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter