The THYROID Thread

I'm going to sound like a spoiled brat - but I'm getting ready to leave for our Bermuda cruise tomorrow morning and I'm not feeling the "magic". :sad2:
This trip was supposed to be DH & my gift to my parents for their 80th birthdays. Sails out of NYC, so no need to have them fly - only 5 nights and easy stop in Bermuda. Mom has mobility problems and Dad has bladder cancer, so this would be the only way they could travel - with us keeping an eye on them. They were SO EXCITED. ….

Two months ago, Dad had a 10 day hospital stay due to renal failure, but he pulled out of it, albeit frail. They were still looking forward to the trip. But, on Monday, he had a rough time at the doctor changing his tubing, and he is pretty weak. He got on the phone & burst into tears that they were going to have to cancel. I'm heartbroken. First of all - my dad is not the type of person to cry, so that in of itself killed me. But they are SO DISAPPOINTED that they are disappointing US. I have insurance, so I'm not concerned about the money. And let's face it, it is what it is. But the fact that they were looking forward to this special trip and now can't enjoy it makes me SO SAD.

DH & I are still going, because I don't want to confuse matters in trying to get both reservations refunded, etc. Hubby could use the rest since he's been working so hard. Our 32nd anniversary was this week, so we are trying to look at this as an anniversary trip instead.

Still..... I'm so sad. :sad1:

I'm going to sound like a spoiled brat - but I'm getting ready to leave for our Bermuda cruise tomorrow morning and I'm not feeling the "magic". :sad2:
This trip was supposed to be DH & my gift to my parents for their 80th birthdays. Sails out of NYC, so no need to have them fly - only 5 nights and easy stop in Bermuda. Mom has mobility problems and Dad has bladder cancer, so this would be the only way they could travel - with us keeping an eye on them. They were SO EXCITED. ….

Two months ago, Dad had a 10 day hospital stay due to renal failure, but he pulled out of it, albeit frail. They were still looking forward to the trip. But, on Monday, he had a rough time at the doctor changing his tubing, and he is pretty weak. He got on the phone & burst into tears that they were going to have to cancel. I'm heartbroken. First of all - my dad is not the type of person to cry, so that in of itself killed me. But they are SO DISAPPOINTED that they are disappointing US. I have insurance, so I'm not concerned about the money. And let's face it, it is what it is. But the fact that they were looking forward to this special trip and now can't enjoy it makes me SO SAD.

DH & I are still going, because I don't want to confuse matters in trying to get both reservations refunded, etc. Hubby could use the rest since he's been working so hard. Our 32nd anniversary was this week, so we are trying to look at this as an anniversary trip instead.

Still..... I'm so sad. :sad1:

Not at all sounding like a spoiled brat. I’d be sad, too. I think anyone would. It’s always disappointing when a much-anticipated event doesn’t come together as it should. I hope you’re able to get some rest and stress-relief while on your trip.

SingingMom, that's really tough and no, you don't sound like a spoiled brat at all.

I'm sure it's devastating for your parents and no one likes to face their mortality in that way so I'm sure that was also playing on your dad's mind. I hope you can still enjoy your trip.

So sorry for the disappointment. Perhaps you can plan another short trip or activity when you return that your parents could enjoy - driving through the countryside this time of year is lovely?! Stopping at a new or favorite restaurant?! Staying at a bed and breakfast?!

Try to enjoy yourselves. It is your anniversary, after all! I'm sure part of your parents' disappointment is in disappointing you for being unable to go. Wishing you the best on your trip!

SingingMom, sending you lots of prayers and hugs.

I know you are sad and upset of your dad's health and change of plans.

Do the cruise as an anniversary trip for you and your husband.
Act like a couple of newlyweds and have a fun time!

singing mom - sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned with your parents for the cruise. Hoping you can celebrate their birthdays with another event that brings them joy.

Try to enjoy the cruise with your dh. I am sure it will be refreshing and relaxing although in a different kind of way.

And in the Life is too short department, ds2 father in law passed away suddenly today. The services start tomm. Night with a mass thursday. Everyone is beyond devastated. Prayers appreciated.

Oh and I will finally get my correct synthroid dose script. Mystery solved. Endo wrote wrong dosage frequency in her clinical note sigh. That is a first.

No, the uptake scan really isn't done for cancer. It used to be that, for some reason, they liked to see how the nodule was functioning. I just don't think there's a need for that sort of information anymore and the radiation used in the scan (while minimal) is unnecessary. It can also interfere IF you end up having thyroid cancer with the resulting radiation you might need later. I think that's why I asked if you were seeing an endo because they are more on the cutting edge of thyroid issues where a general practictioner is probably relying on information they learned 20 years ago. There's been a lot of changes in the past 10 years as to how thyroid nodules are assessed and treated.

Sorry for the delay in responding but thank you again for your response. I put myself in high gear and started researching endocrinologists in my area and calling them to get info. I then picked one and started harassing my primary’s office about a referral. It finally was done today so the endo is supposed to review in 24-48 hours to schedule. I canceled the thyroid uptake and scan based on you guys, the endos offices I called and several websites. Swallowing is getting worse so I hope they can fit me in soon. I’m coughing too. All getting annoying, I just want to get it out/shrunk whatever.

Sorry for the delay in responding but thank you again for your response. I put myself in high gear and started researching endocrinologists in my area and calling them to get info. I then picked one and started harassing my primary’s office about a referral. It finally was done today so the endo is supposed to review in 24-48 hours to schedule. I canceled the thyroid uptake and scan based on you guys, the endos offices I called and several websites. Swallowing is getting worse so I hope they can fit me in soon. I’m coughing too. All getting annoying, I just want to get it out/shrunk whatever.

I think that was probably a good move. The endo is the best place to be and they will know the best surgeons to send you to. Hopefully you won't have to wait long. I know some endo offices can be pretty backed up for new patients. Mine has a 3-4 month wait.

I think that was probably a good move. The endo is the best place to be and they will know the best surgeons to send you to. Hopefully you won't have to wait long. I know some endo offices can be pretty backed up for new patients. Mine has a 3-4 month wait.

The endocrinologist I was referred to also has that long of a wait for new clients except I guess cases like mine. They just called and scheduled me for next Tuesday. I was so relieved I cried. Thank you again for your and other posters’ direction. It helped a lot.

Thank you for all the warm wishes. DH and I are just back from our cruise. In the scheme of things, it was best my parents weren't with us - I think there would have been too much standing for both of them. The weather the first two days was on the nasty side, so they would not have enjoyed the deck or veranda like I had hoped. They also felt relieved about their decision as Dad still wasn't feeling well all week.

DH and I had a lovely time. Bermuda is my favorite place on earth and we had beautiful weather while in port. We went to Horseshoe Bay the first day and I was in the water for about 20 minutes ! We took a side trip to Swizzle Inn because it's a tradition and the following day took the ferry to Hamilton to shop on Front Street and do our own little mini pub crawl! Food was wonderful on the ship, service excellent, entertainment top notch. One of my favorite things was a presentation and Q & A with one of the actresses in the shows who has been on Broadway. We really enjoyed meeting her and chatting with her afterwards.
We did the champagne tasting (my favorite) and a Mixology class, and had Brunch at Palo on our final sea day. That meal was FABULOUS! I'm longing for another dish of artichoke ravioli!!!

We are going to ask Mom & Dad if there is anything particular they might need for the house or yard, or if they'd like to have a special dinner at Ruth's Chris for the immediate family and we'll pick up the tab. I'll let you know what they decide! lol

Hook326 - wishing you all the best with your appointment on Tues. Let us know how things go.

singing mom - Glad you had a nice time on the cruise. Hope your dad feels better soon.

Christine - saw your post on the bc thread. I remember her name but it was a while ago. Sorry to hear that.

It has been such a sad week. We went to dil's dad's 2 viewing days and then the mass. They held up the final service for us. It took us 1 hr. 20 min. To get there. Lots of tears. Dil was daddy's girl. She told dh - you are my dad now. Heart breaking. Now they have to work out so much stuff.

Then we found out a sweet lady from our church died. She moved to Maryland but the viewing is tues. Night back here and we are going. She cooked food for us during my first cancer surgery.

and when it couldn"t get any worse, ds2 said he saw on facebook that one of dh uncle's grand daughter s wrote on facebook, goodbye grandpa. So it appears his uncle may have died. He was in his 90s. He lived in Washington state. My head is spinning.

Hook326 - How did your endo visit go? I hope you liked the dr. And that there is a good plan put in place for you.

Too much sadness here. Went to that lady's viewing. Saw some old friends. Then dh talked to his cousin. Yes sadly his uncle died. No services. I know dh will miss visiting him. Then ds1 saw someone I knew in a store. She said tell your mom K. (Her son in law) has cancer. I worked with him on the school board. So sad

ds3 quit the Neuro ICU. He said it was boring, he had issues with the boss and the people were half dead. So he is going back to his old floor.

Dh said we could go to disne y after thanksgiving. Only bad thing 2 of the candlelight narrators are Whoopi and Neal Patrick and we have seen them both.

Dh said we could go to disne y after thanksgiving. Only bad thing 2 of the candlelight narrators are Whoopi and Neal Patrick and we have seen them both.

We are headed down the week of Thanksgiving because DD has to work. Our tickets for Candlelight are Thanksgiving Sunday, which is Helen Hunt. I'm not overly excited about her. lol DD wants me to stay and see John Stamos, but there are too many things going on at home that week for me to stay longer. I'd really enjoy hearing him narrate!

singing mom - hope you have a great holiday trip visiting your dd.

and speaking of trips...finally booked ours for Nov. 28- Dec. 4. We are staying 2 nights Swan, 2 nights Dolphin, then last 2 nights at Swan again. One night was sold out at the Swan. Not to mention the room prices are outrageous!

Got what I could for adr's. Chefs, Cape May for dh crab coma, Marrakech for the Candlelight with Robby Benson, Liberty Tree before MVMCP. Grand Floridian Cafe because I want to see the gingerbread house and One day open yet.

Check in when you can. A dusting of snow here tomm. I think eh and I should be snowbirds when he retires.

LMP sounds like a lovely trip you have planned
I’m sure you will have a fine vacation

Watching the weather channel just reaffirms it was good we moved to Georgia than staying in the North

No snow but should get rain later tonight sometime

singing mom - hope you have a great holiday trip visiting your dd.

and speaking of trips...finally booked ours for Nov. 28- Dec. 4. We are staying 2 nights Swan, 2 nights Dolphin, then last 2 nights at Swan again. One night was sold out at the Swan. Not to mention the room prices are outrageous!

Got what I could for adr's. Chefs, Cape May for dh crab coma, Marrakech for the Candlelight with Robby Benson, Liberty Tree before MVMCP. Grand Floridian Cafe because I want to see the gingerbread house and One day open yet.

Check in when you can. A dusting of snow here tomm. I think eh and I should be snowbirds when he retires.

Snowing here. It's dark and cold. I hate it. I can't wait until DH retires so we can move to Florida!

Excited to be visiting on Monday - DH hasn't been to see DD in a while. She's excited for him to see her townhouse model! We are jammed packed for the week - three nights at Coronado then the rest with DD. Monday evening catching up with our CM friends, Tuesday townhouse tour and Studios to show DH Toy Story Land, Wednesday DD is off so full day at MK and Liberty Tree with her friend to celebrate Thanksgiving. She's working Thurs, Fri, & Sat, so we'll have some free time until she gets out of work. Then Thurs evening blue zoo (fish for Thanksgiving lol) Fri dinner in Disney Springs with another of her friends, Saturday evening mass and probably take out, then Sunday DD took off so we have late lunch at Chefs de France & Candlelight Processional - meeting up with our CM friend from Disneyland and her family for those events. Monday back home. ;(

I'm SO happy to have found this thread! My daughter & I were driving home from a week at WDW to Alabama on 9/8 when I had to pull off the road and call an ambulance. I thought I was having a heart attack; my heart was racing, my face was tingly and I was dizzy. After spending a couple of days in the hospital in Ocala they put me on beta blockers (metoprolol) sent me home to follow up with a cardiologist. While I was in Ocala they ran a head CT, an echocardiogram and a chemical stress test. After all of that testing, they didn't find anything alarming other than my thyroid levels were high (6.34) along with my cholesterol. After I got home, my cardiologist had me wear a holtor monitor for 24 hours, then a patch monitor for a month. He finally checked my thyroid TSH levels on 10/1 and they were 10.53. He had me follow up with my primary doctor who put me on levothyroxine .125 about 3 weeks ago. I'm starting to see some improvement. My heart rate had been spiking anytime I stood up for more than a few seconds. I was also continuing to have dizziness and tingling in my face. That is also easing up. I teach computer lab K-3 three days a week & work with 200+ students a day, standing almost all day, but have been unable to return to work because of my ongoing symptoms. My daughter and I have APs and were supposed to return to WDW 11/24-30, but I canceled that trip. I just don't think I can do Disney with this going on. I'm trying to get in to see an endocrinologist, but the earliest appointment I could get was 1/29. Apparently, there are not enough endocrinologists where I live. I have not read through the whole thread, but I plan to do that this week. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

j2thomason - welcome. Christine is our thyroid expert.

It sounds like you have very hyper symptoms. I am assuming the ct showed no thyroid problems. Did they rule out graves disease?

I think it takes 6 weeks for the Levo to start working because of the half life. If you have to wait that long for your endo appt. I would be asking your pcp to do 6 week blood draws as your tsh should be going down. Maybe even 4 weeks. It does take a while to get the dosage right through trial and error. Wishing you all the best.

To all - wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving. Thankful for all of you!!

Hello everyone and Happy Thanksgiving. I've been super busy at work so haven't stopped by here in awhile. Sounds like there's a few great trips planned!

My parents just bought a house in Florida a few weeks ago. They are going to move to The Villages. They have visited many over-55 communities and they LOVED it there. I'm not wild about the location (seems to be in the middle of nowhere) but it's not about me and they really like all the amenities and the 'socialness' of the place. So I expect I'll be visiting Florida a few times a year and can hopefully make some short trips over to Disney (about an hour's drive).

j2thomason--welcome and sorry to hear about your symptoms. Based on your bloodwork, you are pretty HYPO thyroid (slow, low thyroid). It does perplex me that your symptoms seem to match HYPERthyroidism which would give you a rapid heart rate. The face tingling and dizziness could be hypo; however, you don't seem to be significantly low. But having your thyroid not produce enough hormone can certainly throw all of your other symptoms out of whack especially as you get older and can most certainly affect the electrical impulses in the cardiac area.

An endocrinologist is definitely the right place to be to sort this out. No area has enough endocrinologists!! I live just outside of DC and it is about a 3-4 month wait to get into the TOP endocrinologists for your first visit. It's a shame it takes so long because I know you don't feel well and just want some answers.

Please keep us posted as to how you're feeling. I'll try to stop by here more often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts