The THYROID Thread

I have ,had Radio Iodine treatment about 2 years ago, everything has been fine , but over the last couple of days my Thyroid glan on the left hand side has been sore to touch, anyone have this experience. Do not want to run to the doctor for something so minor , anyone give me advice

Did you have treatment for Grave's disease. Is that why you had Radioactive Iodine. Or did you have thyroid cancer?

No i had Hyper thyroid and could not get it under control , with the different treatments, soRadioactive iodine was a last resort, i now take Thyroxin to supplement my thyroid

rpbert1, I'm no expert on this thyroid thing, but I think in general, if something is causing you concern its best to see the dr. Especially on this rollercoaster.

Did anyone else go through this as a kid, or watch their kid go through it? My DD is driving me nuts, and I don't know how much is "being 8" and how much is her body/mind/mood adjusting to the changing levels. I have read that kids behavior can be whacked while they adjust. But, hey. I can't let her just get away with a nasty attitude and say "its the thyroid meds" because by the time she does adjust, she'll have learnd bad habits. right? Do you find it hard to be pleasant in the weeks following a med change?:confused3

Do you find it hard to be pleasant in the weeks following a med change?:confused3

I haven't had a dosage change in many years, so I can hardly remember. But some people are very sensitive to it and get panicky and more of a feeling of anxiety. Some people also get irritability. This probably lasts for about 2-3 weeks until it evens out.

I'm sure that most of you know this but the cruciferous veggies: broccoli,cauliflower,Brussel sprouts,and cabbage interfere with thyroid function.If you're hypo-like me- avoid these or eat sparingly.

Well, if I can get my 8 yo to stop eating brussel sprouts, all will be well. TEEhee. :lmao: The nurse practitioner just told us soy was awful, too.

So, what about this. Since sweetpea's dosage change, I have to cut her pills in half. Well, I cut a months worth, because getting her own meds in the morning makes her feel at least a little control. And I didn't do a great job, so somedays she will have more and some less. By months end it will average out, but daily will be off. Is that going to be a problem, do you think? Next month, I'm going one at a time because then each two days will avg out. I just wasn't thinking.

So, what about this. Since sweetpea's dosage change, I have to cut her pills in half. Well, I cut a months worth, because getting her own meds in the morning makes her feel at least a little control. And I didn't do a great job, so somedays she will have more and some less. By months end it will average out, but daily will be off. Is that going to be a problem, do you think? Next month, I'm going one at a time because then each two days will avg out. I just wasn't thinking.

It will be fine. Thyroid hormone has a very long half-life so you can get away with stuff like this. If she were taking one of the short-acting meds (like Cytomel), I would say no.

I have to split one of my pills once a week so I know what you're saying. It's fine.

I participate on a thyroid cancer survivors list and this issue comes up often. One of the moderator/doctors on the list is EXTREMELY vocal about using Armour (he is against it) and feels that any "self-respecting" endocrinologist would not use it. I wish I could find one of his "rants" about it, but I can't. It seems to me that some of his concerns are valid, but I just can't remember them. As it is, I've worked with 3 different endos and NONE of them would touch the stuff.

I'm quite the opposite, I'm one of the folks allergic to something in the fillers they put in Levoxcyl. I wound up passing out, having heart issues, and all the other fun things that happen with this kind of allergy. In three days of Synthroid, I was sane, able to sleep and haven't passed out in a year and a half.

You may be a blessing to me! I have been living with hypo for over a decade and going up and down...with my job I've had little luck with getting it in balance( I travel for work) and I actually had a doc tell me once "I think you have cancer" then no one contacted me. After 2 weeks I called and demanded my results be sent to me so I could have them read elsewhere only to find out it was once again... my thyroid!!! I've finally found a doctor who demands I be tested regularly and after todays test they called and said instead of every 2 months he wants me to be tested once a month so we can get it under control!and no more generics!!! I have been so sick and depressed...overweight despite my constant dieting and I work sooooooo very physically hard that I should be skin and bones instead of lard...I told one doctor my eating habits and he actually had the nerve to roll his eyes as if I was lying!! Needless to say I didn't go back to him...thanks for beginning this thread and my prayers are with all of you!!!

Generic Thyroid medication almost killed me. From now on, no matter what doc you go to, as for the following words to be put on your prescripton...Despence as Written. They by law then have to give you the brand name of the drug. When it comes to thyroid meds, you do this. It's your LIFE you're talking about here.

Thank you Christine....

For this thread. My short form of the long story. Diagnosed with hypo about five years ago. Was on Levoxyl for it for a while, went for a thyroid biopsy when dr prescribed it in 2003. In 04, at my appointment, discovered that the hospital didn't send my results to him.

They were POSITIVE for Papillary Carcinoma.

After that, scheduled thyroidectomy, called attorney and had the bugger out in March of 04. was dropped by doc the next month, went to new endo who kept me on levoxyl. Started passing out, having horrendous anemic episodes, and.....heart issues. Turns out that a national branch was filling my thyroid meds generically, I was allergic to something in the generic. I didn't find that out until dropping old endo for new endo.

My new endo rocks. My levels are high, but regulated. I'm just having issues with the parathyroids...my calicum goes up and down.

If you guys have questions, or need help, holler.

I have been there and offically done that.

Thank you Christine....

For this thread. My short form of the long story. Diagnosed with hypo about five years ago. Was on Levoxyl for it for a while, went for a thyroid biopsy when dr prescribed it in 2003. In 04, at my appointment, discovered that the hospital didn't send my results to him.

They were POSITIVE for Papillary Carcinoma.

After that, scheduled thyroidectomy, called attorney and had the bugger out in March of 04. was dropped by doc the next month, went to new endo who kept me on levoxyl. Started passing out, having horrendous anemic episodes, and.....heart issues. Turns out that a national branch was filling my thyroid meds generically, I was allergic to something in the generic. I didn't find that out until dropping old endo for new endo.

My new endo rocks. My levels are high, but regulated. I'm just having issues with the parathyroids...my calicum goes up and down.

If you guys have questions, or need help, holler.

I have been there and offically done that.

Interesting about the meds. Did you find out what you were allergic to?

I am having a similar problem with ibuprofen tablets and now Feosol (iron) tablets. First thought I had an ibuprofen allergy but recently had the same response to Feosol. Both have a coating and I'm trying to narrow down the offending ingredient but not having much luck.

I'm sorry, I don't know. There's limited evidence to the contrary that this medication is causing this stuff to happen. Most endos refuse to believe it, my former endo said it was me and not the med. Exit old endo. New endo was open minded and well I became!

Who else has the anemia problems?

Just me, as far as I know. Did you find a cause for your anemia? I've had all the tests: celiac, endoscopy, colonoscopy, etc. Have a few ideas but no real firm cause.

My endo stated...it's the drugs, they leech the iron from your blood.

Ah, the joys of Synthroid....:(

As I stated in a previous post, I have Hashimoto's and I am anemic according to my last checkup a few weeks ago.

Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause anemia in Hashimotos' patients, so I'm gonna have that test done next month.

In the meantime, I'm chowing down iron. Joy.

herc

Always take iron with food. That's my one most important tip of the day.

My endo stated...it's the drugs, they leech the iron from your blood.

Ah, the joys of Synthroid....:(

That's funny because when I asked this question on the thyroid cancer survivor's list, hardly anyone was having problems with iron deficiency--in fact, out of several hundred people, no one really had an issue at all with this. I wonder if this is really true? I know that iron can interfere with absorption of Synthroid, but I've never heard that Synthroid can affect iron stores.

As I stated in a previous post, I have Hashimoto's and I am anemic according to my last checkup a few weeks ago.

Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause anemia in Hashimotos' patients, so I'm gonna have that test done next month.

In the meantime, I'm chowing down iron. Joy.

herc

So do you have iron deficiency are B12 deficiency? You know it's dangerous to take iron if you don't need it.

I'm sorry to interupt ffrom out of left field. I have read about too much iron being bad as well - so be careful out there!

We have had 3 incidents in 3 days with DD totally flipping out. This is a week after a med change. She hit the ceiling, refusing to follow simple directions, screaming, hitting, throwing things at me. We sent her to her room and she just wailed for an hour, and we heard some throwing stuff around, but not to the point of hurting herself. I'm not sure I can take this, or she can. I mean, she's growing and so increaing doses at check ups will be the norm, I assume. Maybe I'll take matters in my own hands next time and go up half what they say for a week or two and then on up. Not really, I'd ask. Here's to my sanity! Should this settle soon? I know Christine says she hasn't had changes in a while, but did anyone one else have problems with changes? At least so far she hasn't gotten in MUCH trouble at school. sigh

Before they yanked it, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, so...it might be from that that I am anemic.

Hmmm...time for a little more research.

Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter