The Running Thread -- 2022

Nittany Valley Half Marathon Recap
I wanted to try a new race and location I've never done before this year and figured where I went to college would be a good one. Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather would be semi-decent was the biggest worry heading in. This isn't a big race, it had 327 finishers this year.

It was sunny and 30 at the start with a feel like 24, not too bad. I should have paid more attention to the course than the weather heading into it. The first mile was pretty flat on a gravel road. After that, pretty much rolling hills the rest of the way. There was hardly any extended flat section. The roads weren't closed at all, so it was a lot of single file running along what road shoulder there was. There's a massive downhill the entirety of mile 7 and the last 1.5 miles are all uphill. At one point is that last stretch near mile 13, it might have gained 100 or so feet in a 1/3 of a mile. My legs were pretty beat by the finish. The plan was 6:45 avg/mile but fell off of that at mile 9. The last mile was just slogging through it to get it done, 7:38. Finished in 1:29:53. Garmin had 935 feet of ascent, which the definitely the most I've ever had for a half.

It's always fun and interesting to try out new race locations and it was really enjoyable being back in State College and on campus again.

I wanted to try a new race and location I've never done before this year and figured where I went to college would be a good one. Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather would be semi-decent was the biggest worry heading in. This isn't a big race, it had 327 finishers this year.

It was sunny and 30 at the start with a feel like 24, not too bad. I should have paid more attention to the course than the weather heading into it. The first mile was pretty flat on a gravel road. After that, pretty much rolling hills the rest of the way. There was hardly any extended flat section. The roads weren't closed at all, so it was a lot of single file running along what road shoulder there was. There's a massive downhill the entirety of mile 7 and the last 1.5 miles are all uphill. At one point is that last stretch near mile 13, it might have gained 100 or so feet in a 1/3 of a mile. My legs were pretty beat by the finish. The plan was 6:45 avg/mile but fell off of that at mile 9. The last mile was just slogging through it to get it done, 7:38. Finished in 1:29:53. Garmin had 935 feet of ascent, which the definitely the most I've ever had for a half.

It's always fun and interesting to try out new race locations and it was really enjoyable being back in State College and on campus again.
Great job! The weather yesterday was pretty good for running. I live in Central PA and the weather was perfect for my 13-mile training run. Although it sounds like my training run course was much flatter than your race. Great pace!

Congrats!! I’d love to do this race someday - just tough timing to get myself back to central PA, so thanks for reporting back on your experience.

Just registered for the Covered Bridges Half in Vermont in June. Always been a bucket list race, and sells out in minutes.

I’ll thank my runDisney registration experience that helped me get registered in a minute flat when it opened tonight!
Ah, that one’s on my race bucket list too. Definitely give us a race recap when you do it!

Just registered for the Covered Bridges Half in Vermont in June. Always been a bucket list race, and sells out in minutes.

I’ll thank my runDisney registration experience that helped me get registered in a minute flat when it opened tonight!
Vermont in June? That will likely be idyllic.

I only missed one November run— 4 miles while I was in DLR that I more than made up for with my walking that week hopefully.
I've made multiple visits to Disneyland during race training periods including marathons and in my experience all the walking at Disneyland replacing runs has had minimal impact on my training. Maybe because I'm a back of the pack runner, but it hasn't been an issue for my preparation.
I 100% attribute this to @DopeyBadger 's awesome plan and the incorporation of easy runs.
Same here. Once I learned what an easy run actually is, I discovered that training did not have to be the thing that I had to do in order to have fun at the race. Training became an enjoyable part most of the time leading up to the race weekend itself.

November miles: 86.26 I feel good about where I'm at in regards to Dopey next month. Just need to finish off the year strong.

I did something I’ve never done before. I’ve cancelled a race weekend due to weather. I signed up for a race in Dallas to have something to train for between my goal race in early October and Princess. A quick trip down to test the legs and then focus on February. After five days of stressing about the rain and thunderstorms in the forecast, I finally cancelled the trip. I’m doing a local 10k instead since I feel like my fitness is good. I just couldn’t bring myself to travel to a race where I was going to be wet and miserable.

However, much like race bibs (and the costs of those), as long as there are way more volunteers than slots needed, there's no real incentive for disney to change this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter