The Running Thread -- 2022

What are people's favorite running books? I'm particularly looking for training manual-type books, but if you have other recommendations don't hesitate to share those as well!

I'm a big fan of Daniels' Running Formula and Advanced Marathoning. Even if you don't use their training suggestions, I found them both to be valuable reference materials and I still flip through them for information from time to time.

What are people's favorite running books? I'm particularly looking for training manual-type books, but if you have other recommendations don't hesitate to share those as well!

I have quite a few but here are the top 5

Run for Your Life
Hansons Marathon Method
Daniels' Runnign Formula (There is a newer edition but I linked the one I purchased)
Unbreakable Runner
Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon

I also suggest getting one of these two books for overall body health:
Ready to Run
Becoming A Supple Leopard

I have quite a few but here are the top 5

Run for Your Life
Hansons Marathon Method
Daniels' Runnign Formula (There is a newer edition but I linked the one I purchased)
Unbreakable Runner
Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon

I also suggest getting one of these two books for overall body health:
Ready to Run
Becoming A Supple Leopard
I haven’t read this myself yet, but it looks interesting and promising. I heard about it in a recent podcast interview with the authors. It’s called Run Like A Pro (even if you’re slow).
https://www.amazon.com/Run-Like-Even-Youre-Slow/dp/0593201914/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1FCFLTHAP9BFQ&keywords=run+like+a+pro&qid=1652654639&sprefix=Run+like,aps,105&sr=8-1

I haven’t read this myself yet, but it looks interesting and promising. I heard about it in a recent podcast interview with the authors. It’s called Run Like A Pro (even if you’re slow).
https://www.amazon.com/Run-Like-Even-Youre-Slow/dp/0593201914/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1FCFLTHAP9BFQ&keywords=run+like+a+pro&qid=1652654639&sprefix=Run+like,aps,105&sr=8-1

I have that one in my wish list. I purchased the first book he wrote while staying with NAZ Elite, Running the Dream, but haven't read it yet.

Race Report-- Mystic Half Marathon in Mystic, CT

C goal: Beat my previous PR of 2:18:06, set in Nov 2018
B goal: Get a PoT for any possible future runDisney races (not currently registered for anything)
A goal: Go sub-2 hr

I never ran this race before, actually it was about a 5 hour drive from my house. I chose it because it was close to a friend's place and we planned to make a girls' weekend out of it with another friend spectating. So I didn't look too much into the course before hand. The weather history looked good for that weekend in CT, and the elevation profile looked hilly but do-able. But mostly I signed up based on location.

As I have moaned on this board multiple times in recent months, training was a little rocky just because I'm mentally and physically fatigued. I had this attitude of Sign up for everything, once races started coming back, and it was mentally a lot for me to always be on a training plan the past 10 months. Not feeling like I could take a day off etc. I was hitting my paces on my DopeyBadger plan, but just felt kind of flat and like running was a chore. My friend tore her ACL skiing and couldn't run with me, so it was just me getting up for race morning on a girls' weekend. As the day got closer, I started looking at the race map more closely and the second half of the race has rolling hills, which I don't love but, fine, I was committed to this now and was trained up.

Bib pickup was great, very easy. It was in a running store near where the start line would be the next day. Race shirt was very nice also. It was a New-England type lobster red, I don't think I have ever gotten a race shirt in that color. Tech material.

Race morning T+D was mid-110's. Cool but humid. Billy had very helpfully looked at the course and went mile by mile giving me pace suggestions. I mentioned for the Philadelphia marathon I had printed out basically a spreadsheet, with a row for each mile, with the mile pace but also another column for total time, which I taped to my arm. I did that again for this race, but last-minute took it off because I didn't want the pressure of too-specific goals. I had practically memorized the paces anyway so I figured I'd half-play it by feel. Race start was 7AM and there was plenty of parking with lots of volunteers directing. There was a 10k that started with us and I'd guess there was a little over 1000 athletes at the start between the 2 races.

Lining up, I saw the 2:00 pacer. I was still like 2% convinced I could pull out a sub-2 hour, so I started with them. Within the first 2 miles I realized that was too fast a goal for me that day, and I started to let them go. The course would have been very scenic if it hadn't been so foggy. Very cute little town and you run by the water the first half, which was mostly flat. The hills slowed me down a bit in the second half. I never felt gassed, but I just got slowed down more than I expected. Also, while the temps were in the low 60's, I started feeling the humidity. At about mile 8 or 9 I knew for sure doing the math in my head that a sub-2 hour was just out of the question. I enjoyed the rest of the race and looked forward to seeing my crew at the finish line, and getting my lobster medal.

Results: 2:05:08. Not my A goal but I cut 13 minutes off my previous PR from many years ago. I'm really really happy with this result, especially on a hilly course on a kind of humid day. This has been a huge 12 months for me, coming out of covid cancellations. Last May I had a big PR in a 10-miler, and since then I've had 4 more big PRs in distances from the 10k to the marathon. All using DopeyBadger plans and leaning on Billy a lot to pump me up mentally. Really big year. I'm ready to take a mental break now, I leave for a little Disney trip for my younger son's birthday in 2 days!

Last edited:

B goal: Get a PoT for any possible future runDisney races (not currently registered for anything)

I never ran this race before, actually it was about a 5 hour drive from my house. I chose it because it was close to a friend's place and we planned to make a girls' weekend out of it with another friend spectating. So I didn't look too much into the course before hand. The weather history looked good for that weekend in CT, and the elevation profile looked hilly but do-able. But mostly I signed up based on location.

As I have moaned on this board multiple times in recent months, training was a little rocky just because I'm mentally and physically fatigued. I had this attitude of Sign up for everything, once races started coming back, and it was mentally a lot for me to always be on a training plan the past 10 months. Not feeling like I could take a day off etc. I was hitting my paces on my DopeyBadger plan, but just felt kind of flat and like running was a chore. My friend tore her ACL skiing and couldn't run with me, so it was just me getting up for race morning on a girls' weekend. As the day got closer, I started looking at the race map more closely and the second half of the race has rolling hills, which I don't love but, fine, I was committed to this now and was trained up.

Bib pickup was great, very easy. It was in a running store near where the start line would be the next day. Race shirt was very nice also. It was a New-England type lobster red, I don't think I have ever gotten a race shirt in that color. Tech material.

Race morning T+D was mid-110's. Cool but humid. Billy had very helpfully looked at the course and went mile by mile giving me pace suggestions. I mentioned for the Philadelphia marathon I had printed out basically a spreadsheet, with a row for each mile, with the mile pace but also another column for total time, which I taped to my arm. I did that again for this race, but last-minute took it off because I didn't want the pressure of too-specific goals. I had practically memorized the paces anyway so I figured I'd half-play it by feel. Race start was 7AM and there was plenty of parking with lots of volunteers directing. There was a 10k that started with us and I'd guess there was a little over 1000 athletes at the start between the 2 races.

Lining up, I saw the 2:00 pacer. I was still like 2% convinced I could pull out a sub-2 hour, so I started with them. Within the first 2 miles I realized that was too fast a goal for me that day, and I started to let them go. The course would have been very scenic if it hadn't been so foggy. Very cute little town and you run by the water the first half, which was mostly flat. The hills slowed me down a bit in the second half. I never felt gassed, but I just got slowed down more than I expected. Also, while the temps were in the low 60's, I started feeling the humidity. At about mile 8 or 9 I knew for sure doing the math in my head that a sub-2 hour was just out of the question. I enjoyed the rest of the race and looked forward to seeing my crew at the finish line, and getting my lobster medal.

Results: 2:05:08. Not my A goal but I cut 13 minutes off my previous PR from many years ago. I'm really really happy with this result, especially on a hilly course on a kind of humid day. This has been a huge 12 months for me, coming out of covid cancellations. Last May I had a big PR in a 10-miler, and since then I've had 4 more big PRs in distances from the 10k to the marathon. All using DopeyBadger plans and leaning on Billy a lot to pump me up mentally. Really big year. I'm ready to take a mental break now, I leave for a little Disney trip for my younger son's birthday in 2 days!
That’s really great! Congratulations on your sweet POT.

Great job, @SheHulk!!!!

Crushed it! A testament to all of your hard work since August 2017. It was fun to look back on those original convos and see where your goals originally were and where you find yourself today. Proud of you and your continued effort. I envision there's still more room to continue to grow from here.

Congratulations! Great race! :banana:
:banana: :banana:

Congrats on 10 straight months of training and several PRs! Now take your well deserved break and enjoy Disney 😁

York YMCA Half Marathon Race Report 5/15/22

This was only the 2nd in-person race I’ve run since MW 2020 Goofy; the other being a 5-miler last July 4th. I was using my deferral from the 2021 race (back injury during peak mileage week). The process from deferral to using the credit for the 2022 race was easy and seamless.

Work has been incredibly busy the past few months, and my plan to use my @DopeyBadger 2021 training plan from the deferred race mostly fell apart. I did essentially none of the speed work, and only got my LR up to 9 miles, though that was about 12 hours after running 4 miles the evening before.

Packet pickup was available Friday, Saturday, and before the race on Sunday morning. It was as easy as the deferral process. I think it took me longer to find the pickup room in the YMCA downtown than it did to get my bib, shirt, and swag bag. Shirts were short sleeve and purple by Sport-Tek.

When you registered, you selected which heat you wanted to start in. Heats were capped at 50 participants each, with 10 minutes between them. You could start at any time during your heat’s block of time. There was also a marathon happening simultaneously. The marathon began at 0600, while the first heat for the half was at 0740. I chose 0750.

I’m familiar with the parking lot we could use race morning, so that wasn’t a problem. I arrived around 0700 and found a spot after going down a couple of aisles. There were 4 porta-potties outside the YMCA, I think. They also had restrooms available inside the building. The street to the east of the building was closed due to the starting line. Everyone seemed relaxed and most were just mingling around.

I never saw the elite start at 0740 but noticed some friends from my heat were heading through the chute and onto the course. Turns out, the starting officials were telling people if they were ready run just head through and start. So around 0745, I started my longest race in over 2 years.

A friend running the race for the 2nd time shared some advice about the start: it’s about a half mile on pavement with a slight downhill. He said people start out a bit fast because of this. Fortunately, I was pretty much alone, and I held an easy pace. The staggered start meant no crowding whatsoever as we ran down Newberry Street.

A left at the end of Newberry, then about a block to a right turn, and we were on the York County Heritage Rail Trail. Among those who passed me going down Newberry were 2 men who were chatting and running together. I’d seen them right before we started. As they rounded onto the Rail Trail, something fell onto the ground from the one on the left. I was trailing them by about 30 feet and snagged it off the ground as I came past. It was a car key. I tried to get their attention, but to no avail. I later found out that they were enjoying some Katy Perry at the time. Fortunately for me, they were not among those who flew past at 2-3 minutes per mile faster than I was going. A little speed and I was next to them holding the key up in the air. Turns out the owner had driven out from Philadelphia, and it was the only car key he had with him. The key was back to him, and they were on their way. I was able to hang with them about 50-100 feed behind for most of the first half of the out and back race.

About 4 miles in, we reached the Brillhart Station parking lot, where I go there 2-3 times each week to run. There was another water and gel table. Plus, the owner of the local independent running store was there cheering us all on. There were probably 50 people there. I felt a little pep in my step as I passed by. Around a mile south of there, we came to a spot where trail was almost totally wet and muddy. Only 1 track-wide was kind of ok. Being out and back for both distances, you could see people plotting passing strategies as they approached it. At 1.8 miles south of Brillhart, we went through historic Howard Tunnel. It was muddy and slippery on the south side of the tunnel. I think it was about another mile to the turn around.

The most vivid memory of the northbound trip was when a woman disregarded the traffic control staff a mile north of Brillhart and came close to hitting runners. I was trailing that group and saw it happen. Traffic control had her back up, and they held her until I’d passed by. A nice surprise a mile or so later: someone from the nearby houses put out a bonus water bottle and banana stand.

I was passed by several runners from the half marathon in the northbound part of the race, but I also passed several. My Garmin was set to show only lap pace, distance, and time. That way I wouldn’t think about the entire race pace and time. It felt like I was pacing consistently. Soon the finish line was in sight. Upon finishing, I noticed that the crowd was very supportive of all the runners. I looked at a few of them thinking maybe we knew each other or something. Just like Disney, they announced as many names as possible when you approached the finish.

Turned out the first towel and medal person was for the full. Got my medal and a large Gatorade logo’ d towel from the second person. One of my co-workers was there cheering on her daughter, who’d just PR’ d the marathon. Then I reconnected with the guys from the lost key, where we talked about the race, the key’s importance, and the Goofy and Dopey Challenges.

Post-race food was local deli wraps, chocolate milk, apples, bananas, chips, pretzels, iced tea, lemonade, and Gatorade.

My goal for this race was to finish. 2:36 like the MW Half in 2020 was the minimum. 2:30 was something I thought I’d most likely hit. 2:20 would’ve exceeded expectations. I finished in 2:23:05. My 11th half marathon. Didn’t realize I’d hit double-digits already.

There were 329 in the half marathon. The full had just over 200. It was well-organized, with several aid stations. The local health system had stretching stations at the finish, as well as on-course medical help and the local ham radio group provided communications across the length of the course.

I would do this race again. The surface is paved for the first mile south from the start, and then turns to crushed stone, although as noted it can get muddy and water covered in sections. I'm hoping to use this as a springboard to a PR attempt this year. Thinking about the 10 mile race on the same Rail Trial in August, where I always seem to finish in 1 hour and 32 minutes (like 5 times now, I think). Or perhaps a sub-2 half attempt in early October.

My daughter prepared my training plan for the week

img_20220517_192831-2-jpg.669876

Dunno if this would be approved by Arthur Lydiard 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20220517_192831~2.jpg
    IMG_20220517_192831~2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 204
York YMCA Half Marathon Race Report 5/15/22

This was only the 2nd in-person race I’ve run since MW 2020 Goofy; the other being a 5-miler last July 4th. I was using my deferral from the 2021 race (back injury during peak mileage week). The process from deferral to using the credit for the 2022 race was easy and seamless.

Work has been incredibly busy the past few months, and my plan to use my @DopeyBadger 2021 training plan from the deferred race mostly fell apart. I did essentially none of the speed work, and only got my LR up to 9 miles, though that was about 12 hours after running 4 miles the evening before.

Packet pickup was available Friday, Saturday, and before the race on Sunday morning. It was as easy as the deferral process. I think it took me longer to find the pickup room in the YMCA downtown than it did to get my bib, shirt, and swag bag. Shirts were short sleeve and purple by Sport-Tek.

When you registered, you selected which heat you wanted to start in. Heats were capped at 50 participants each, with 10 minutes between them. You could start at any time during your heat’s block of time. There was also a marathon happening simultaneously. The marathon began at 0600, while the first heat for the half was at 0740. I chose 0750.

I’m familiar with the parking lot we could use race morning, so that wasn’t a problem. I arrived around 0700 and found a spot after going down a couple of aisles. There were 4 porta-potties outside the YMCA, I think. They also had restrooms available inside the building. The street to the east of the building was closed due to the starting line. Everyone seemed relaxed and most were just mingling around.

I never saw the elite start at 0740 but noticed some friends from my heat were heading through the chute and onto the course. Turns out, the starting officials were telling people if they were ready run just head through and start. So around 0745, I started my longest race in over 2 years.

A friend running the race for the 2nd time shared some advice about the start: it’s about a half mile on pavement with a slight downhill. He said people start out a bit fast because of this. Fortunately, I was pretty much alone, and I held an easy pace. The staggered start meant no crowding whatsoever as we ran down Newberry Street.

A left at the end of Newberry, then about a block to a right turn, and we were on the York County Heritage Rail Trail. Among those who passed me going down Newberry were 2 men who were chatting and running together. I’d seen them right before we started. As they rounded onto the Rail Trail, something fell onto the ground from the one on the left. I was trailing them by about 30 feet and snagged it off the ground as I came past. It was a car key. I tried to get their attention, but to no avail. I later found out that they were enjoying some Katy Perry at the time. Fortunately for me, they were not among those who flew past at 2-3 minutes per mile faster than I was going. A little speed and I was next to them holding the key up in the air. Turns out the owner had driven out from Philadelphia, and it was the only car key he had with him. The key was back to him, and they were on their way. I was able to hang with them about 50-100 feed behind for most of the first half of the out and back race.

About 4 miles in, we reached the Brillhart Station parking lot, where I go there 2-3 times each week to run. There was another water and gel table. Plus, the owner of the local independent running store was there cheering us all on. There were probably 50 people there. I felt a little pep in my step as I passed by. Around a mile south of there, we came to a spot where trail was almost totally wet and muddy. Only 1 track-wide was kind of ok. Being out and back for both distances, you could see people plotting passing strategies as they approached it. At 1.8 miles south of Brillhart, we went through historic Howard Tunnel. It was muddy and slippery on the south side of the tunnel. I think it was about another mile to the turn around.

The most vivid memory of the northbound trip was when a woman disregarded the traffic control staff a mile north of Brillhart and came close to hitting runners. I was trailing that group and saw it happen. Traffic control had her back up, and they held her until I’d passed by. A nice surprise a mile or so later: someone from the nearby houses put out a bonus water bottle and banana stand.

I was passed by several runners from the half marathon in the northbound part of the race, but I also passed several. My Garmin was set to show only lap pace, distance, and time. That way I wouldn’t think about the entire race pace and time. It felt like I was pacing consistently. Soon the finish line was in sight. Upon finishing, I noticed that the crowd was very supportive of all the runners. I looked at a few of them thinking maybe we knew each other or something. Just like Disney, they announced as many names as possible when you approached the finish.

Turned out the first towel and medal person was for the full. Got my medal and a large Gatorade logo’ d towel from the second person. One of my co-workers was there cheering on her daughter, who’d just PR’ d the marathon. Then I reconnected with the guys from the lost key, where we talked about the race, the key’s importance, and the Goofy and Dopey Challenges.

Post-race food was local deli wraps, chocolate milk, apples, bananas, chips, pretzels, iced tea, lemonade, and Gatorade.

My goal for this race was to finish. 2:36 like the MW Half in 2020 was the minimum. 2:30 was something I thought I’d most likely hit. 2:20 would’ve exceeded expectations. I finished in 2:23:05. My 11th half marathon. Didn’t realize I’d hit double-digits already.

There were 329 in the half marathon. The full had just over 200. It was well-organized, with several aid stations. The local health system had stretching stations at the finish, as well as on-course medical help and the local ham radio group provided communications across the length of the course.

I would do this race again. The surface is paved for the first mile south from the start, and then turns to crushed stone, although as noted it can get muddy and water covered in sections. I'm hoping to use this as a springboard to a PR attempt this year. Thinking about the 10 mile race on the same Rail Trial in August, where I always seem to finish in 1 hour and 32 minutes (like 5 times now, I think). Or perhaps a sub-2 half attempt in early October.
A guy from my town in PA did the marathon. We often see each other during training runs (we first connected a few years ago because of our matching Dopey shirts), but I haven't seen him since the race. Hopefully his experience was as positive as yours.

So I'm signed up for the 2023 marathon. Having hobbled across the finish line of my first full marathon this year, I decided to spend a few months focusing on improving my overall health and fitness before starting a formal marathon training plan later this summer. Everything about running becomes a bit easier if I am lighter, faster, and in better cardio shape. At 37, I'm certainly not getting younger.

Having done a ton of reading in these forms and elsewhere, I've started doing HIIT runs every 2-3 days with the goal of improving my cardio fitness, as measured by my Apple Watch's VO2 Max estimate. I don't know if I'm doing everything right, but so far I've been really pleased by the experience and the results.

I aim for either five 60-second intervals or ten 30-second intervals at an all-out effort, which for me is a pace of about 5:00-5:30 min/mile and a HR that peaks in the low 190s. I think my 1-mile PR is ~9:20 so that really is an all-out effort for me.

I aim for a 1:2 work/recovery ratio, but I try and listen to my body and take longer recovery periods if I need to in order to run the next interval at full effort. In practical terms, this means that if my HR hit 185-190, I wait for it to get back down to 165 before I go again, even if that takes a bit longer than my planned recovery ratio. I figure that as my cardio health improves, I'll be able to do longer intervals and shorter recovery periods; no sense in trying to push beyond my current level of capability.

On in-between days, I typically go for a 2-3 mile walk or easy run, but I'm definitely not doing Intervals on back-to-back days. Even if I wanted to -- and I do really enjoy these runs quite a bit -- I just don't have it in the tank.

I'm thrilled to say that in the past two weeks, my Health App tells me that my cardio fitness has improved from Low to Below Average! At my age, that means my estimated VO2 max has climbed from ~32.5 to ~35. I know the Apple Watch-based estimate is only so good, and my abnormally high Max HR may throw it off, but even if the calculation isn't exact, it's trending upwards, and I definitely feel a lot better.

It feels really silly to be this excited about being "Below Average" but I am, and I figured if anybody can appreciate the idea of celebrating the little wins, it's this lot here!

Unofficial poll time. I need some anecdotal experience to help with race selection.
I usually have 1-2 HMs that I race specifically for a PR attempt each year. Prime time racing weather here is December to February. I am running dopey 2023 so I am hesitant to race for a HM PR at the end of my training plan because I need a couple of weeks for full recovery after a HM PR attempt and it would kind of derail training. Even though I generally start running again about a week later, I keep it slow and my legs are definitely not back to normal for a couple of weeks. I feel like January is probably out for recovery, especially after such a big race weekend. So, I am considering a February HM for a new PR attempt. My question is for those who have run Dopey or even a marathon. Would you feel ready for a PR attempt in a HM a month after Dopey? If not, what is your time frame? I hate to feel like I am "wasting" a major training cycle without trying for a new PR but I'm not sure if it is a reasonable thing to shoot for this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter