The Running Thread - 2021

Houston Half Marathon Race report - Today was the 5th time I have run this race, and, for some reason, I usually have better than expected results. That was the case again today. The weather was warmer than I was hoping for, but still was fantastic for Houston, T+D was around 110 or so.

The race starts off in downtown by Sam Houston Park, where most races start/finish. The park is nice for pre and post race activities, lots of room for port-a-potties, food, team tents, gear check, etc. The start of the race goes into downtown and then heads south for about a mile, before heading back to the start line area and then out Allen Parkway/Memorial drive and back to finish. When heading back into town, you are running into the rising sun, which is, as always, not fun. Today I had some goodr glasses with me to put on when we started back into the sun. Seemed like a good idea, but they fogged up every time I put them on, which made me blind when not in the shade, So back on the top of my head they went!

This race is probably the 2nd largest half in Houston and the largest race in the area at this stage of the pandemic, and there were a decent number of people running with the pace groups, which were numerous, basically every 5 minutes starting with 1:30.

Mile 1 - 8:12, 2 - 7:46, 3 - 7:41, 4 - 7:53. 5 - 7:42, 6 - 7:42, 7 - 7:42 , 8 - 7:45,

I planned on starting out with the 1:45 group, and after about 1.75 miles, decided to get past them and speed up a little. Got behind a group of about 6 folks that were running around 7:45 pace, so used them as pacers until mile 8. Decided I was feeling really good, so decided to drop the hammer and see how long I could last....

Mile 9 - 7:21, 10 - 7:13, 11 - 7:13, 12 - 7:04, Mile 13 - 7:04

During this stretch I was passing a large number of folks that passed me the 1st half of the race. Also at around mile 11, the back of the pack 10k'ers join in the final stretch, which always adds some bobbing and weaving down Allen parkway.

Ended up passing the 1:40 pace group the last .25 mile.

I finished with a 1:40:12. Overall 429/3564, Male 358/1926, Age 20/128.

I am very, very happy with the results. Races like this is what I try to remember when I have a bad race!

October running:
Total Distance: 159.12 miles
Average pace: 10:45/mi

This might be a PR for monthly distance for me? It's definitely a PR for average pace if you don't count my 20s when I a) was much more young & fit and b) never ran more than 45 min at a time. Taper starts today for the Philadelphia Marathon in 3 weeks and I'm feeling pretty good going into it. I ran every workout Billy set out for me, religiously, except I did cut my segments short on one tempo run because I was pressed for time. Now to stay uninjured and not lose my mind with imagined aches and pains between now and then.

Race Report:
Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon
Lexington, Kentucky

It's only been 13 days since my crash and burn during the Des Plaines River Trail Marathon so I wasn't sure what to expect. Short and sweet...... I took it easy and ran a very comfortable and no drama race at my easy / long run pace. Finished in 2:42 without any knee pain or back issues.

Edit... Here's a pic at the finish with my daughter; not sure why we are sideways,

IMG_0177.jpg

Here's some (purchased) swag from the race. The race Director worked with Makers Mark to create a custom barrel (about 53 gallons) of Bourbon with a unique stave profile during a secondary aging.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

I think I'll repeat this race strategy next Sunday at the W&D HM.

Last edited:
October 2021 Training Summary

Running duration = 33:02 hours
Running mileage = 238 miles
Average Pace = 8:19 min/mile (about 60-75 sec/mile slower than peak M Tempo)
Average HR = 127 (20 bpm less than M Tempo)
Total Training Time = 33:02 hours

G miles = 9.2 miles

Another good month of training. Most miles in a month since July 2018. The body is holding up well. I have little things come up here and there, but nothing significant. My body isn't in peak shape (Dopey 2018), but it is better than it has been at any time in the last three years. I've got two weeks to go until the Madison Marathon. So just putting the finishing touches on the training and then we'll see what happens. I've put myself in a place to be successful and just have to trust myself on race day regardless of the obstacles thrown my way.

G's training continues to go well. We're doing 1.3 miles consistently now. I snuck in another 45/30 day without her knowing, but I could tell she didn't tolerate that as well as the 30/30. So we'll continue with that for now. It's going to be a continued challenge between now and Princess to keep it up with Wisconsin winter approaching. The conversations continue to be good for us, filled with many life lessons.

October 2021 totals
Distance: 101.2km (63mi)
Average pace: 6m37s/km (10:40/mi)
YTD: 1907km on 2021km

October started with the marathon at the P’tit train du nord 🚂 and then taking two weeks off running. We did go back on that trail with our bikes to admire the Fall leaves 🍁.

It was strange cheering DD on races but staying on the sideline. She did great this year both in XC and in RR, so well that she doubled her season by invitation 🏃🏼‍♀️. She also discovered the joy of training with a team for a few weeks.

Even Halloween 🎃 tonight had a spin we did not expect: Someone Trick or Treating with his family asked us if we were that running family he sees all the time and we said yes, we recognize you, you run too! So I have a new friend on Strava 😄

October Miles = 151

With Dopey training picking up speed, I now remember why I hate marathons - the long training runs. I can do half marathons in my sleep but I dread runs over 13 miles. I get to take a break next weekend by “only” running a 5K, 10K and Half at Wine and Dine but then it’s back to the soul sucking 16+ mile runs when I return from FL the following week.

January = 154
February = 111
March = 141
April = 127
May = 143
June = 132
July = 137
August = 124
September = 120

2021 total miles = 1,340

October total:

Running 140.6 miles
Avg pace 9’33”/mile
Walking/hiking 143 miles

Interesting month trying to recover from two marathons at the same time as ramping up for Dopey and looking to PR Wine and Dine. I feel good so we’ll see what happens.

October was a largely uneventful month of “lather, rinse, repeat” training runs as Dopey training started ramping up. It does represent unprecedented consistency for me from a training standpoint, though, as it was my 21st consecutive month with >125 miles run. November will largely be more of the same, albeit with the W&D Challenge worked into the schedule for this upcoming weekend. Otherwise, it’s “just keep swimming, just keep swimming” until Marathon Weekend rolls around.

October Training Summary
Running Miles: 161.98
Running Time: 27:37:01
Average Pace: 10:21mi
Average HR: 142/min

Extras:
Walking Miles: 70.69
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 2,010.64

October Training Summary
Running Miles: 208.19
Running Time: 30:42:49
Average Pace: 8:51mi
Average HR: 130/min
Got to run Boston, which was a great experience. Started training again pretty quickly as I'm planning to run another marathon this Saturday in Indy.

October 2021
Running miles: 64.67 miles
Running time: 10:32:57
Average Pace: 9:47
Walking Miles: .93 miles

October was fantastic. I got to run the Chicago Marathon!!! I loved it so much that I registered for 2022 using my deferral from the canceled 2020 race. I had surgery one week ago and recovery has been a breeze. I feel amazing and I was able to go on two short walks. I still have 5 more weeks of recovery before I can ease back into running. I don’t do well mentally sitting around so I am thankful that my surgeon told me to walk as much as my body says I can. In just one week I have read three books, watched 7 seasons of Wentworth and reached the end of the internet twice 🤣

Hi there!
Does anyone have any good pre/post stretch suggestions for the calf/Achilles area? It’s the area I feel the most tightness when running.

October Running Totals

Miles: 67.96
Time: 12:08:16
Average HR: 145
Average Pace: 10:32

Ran and bombed Wineglass on 10/3, took the next week and a half off, and started back up slowly per DopeyBadger's instructions.

I had some bad IT pain in my left knee when I started running again, but foam rolling has helped minimize it. I ran 7 miles on the treadmill yesterday with no pain at all, so I'm hopeful that I have put that behind me!

I know it was from the camber of the roads during the marathon, so I'm trying to keep to super flat surfaces these days.

I have a local half marathon on Sunday (running it nice and slow) and then the Disney Marathon in January!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter