The Running Thread - 2020

Excellent, thank you. I am assuming there is parking there?

You stay there often? Do you camp or do a cabin? I have never camped there but I am excited to. I am assuming it is as nice as it looks?
Yes there is parking for one vehicle at your site and one golf cart. We normally are at a campsite with our RV, and at campsite you can have one trailer/motor home, one car, one golf cart. This trip we are in a cabin. We have camped many times and the last 4 Marathon weekends. We normally stay for two weeks when we bring the RV. This trip we had some issues mostly with Mallory so we decided a weekend would be better and switched our two week full hookup site to a 3 night cabin. Our second time in the cabins, first was in 2003. I actually like the cabin, though I am sleeping on the bunk bed. The queen bed is pushed up against a wall, hard to sleep with DH and we are big people.

its a great campground, expensive but nice. I am not sure how I will feel about it after Reflections is built. I am start to get a little tired of Disney, been there down that, but I do enjoy marathon weekend and will probably be back next year.

Enjoying MW here at WDW. Need to go to sleep soon...that 2:45 alarm is set!

@LSUlakes Did you pull the trigger on tickets to the game? Joe Burrow is from a town near me...saw him play when my local HS played Athens HS in the state playoffs his senior year. Knew then he had talent! Was hoping for an OSU-LSU match up, but my Buckeyes didn’t cooperate!

Yes there is parking for one vehicle at your site and one golf cart. We normally are at a campsite with our RV, and at campsite you can have one trailer/motor home, one car, one golf cart. This trip we are in a cabin. We have camped many times and the last 4 Marathon weekends. We normally stay for two weeks when we bring the RV. This trip we had some issues mostly with Mallory so we decided a weekend would be better and switched our two week full hookup site to a 3 night cabin. Our second time in the cabins, first was in 2003. I actually like the cabin, though I am sleeping on the bunk bed. The queen bed is pushed up against a wall, hard to sleep with DH and we are big people.

its a great campground, expensive but nice. I am not sure how I will feel about it after Reflections is built. I am start to get a little tired of Disney, been there down that, but I do enjoy marathon weekend and will probably be back next year.
I know there is parking at the site for my car. I meant is there parking by the busses for my car if I drive to the main bus for the race?

I agree their campground is expensive. Everything at Disney is expensive now. But I was able to get it for $118/night and I don’t think that’s too bad actually. A lot of campgrounds I have looked into in New England charge extra per person over 4 so sometimes sites at regular campgrounds cost me $80/night. I’ll spend a little extra for Disney.

Oh, I have an update on the job. They offered it to me earlier in the week but for not even close to enough money. I told them no for what they offered. They offered $5000 less than what I put in my application. How did they think that would fly???? Anyway they came back yesterday and gave me what I was asking for. I’m hoping I can use this flexibility to get my runs done at reasonable times now. We’ll see how it all plays out. Waiting to find out what day I start now. I may be signing up for Star Wars weekend now since I will already be there so I may have a 1/2 to train for. :love:

Possible? Yes. Doing so without being in pain and very sore for a week, probably not.

I ran the 2018 WDW full severely undertrained. My long run was 8 miles and I did it once. I was doing fairly well during the race until mile 23. Once I got into HS I was in significant pain. I had to walk the rest of the way and was crying from the pain all through Epcot. Of course the pain was gone the second I crossed the finish line but it wasn't a fun race.

Anyone out there ever done a Disney race while staying at Fort Wilderness? I ask because my wife and I will be having our honeymoon there. It just hit me that the Star Wars race will be happening while I am there. I said I wouldn't do a Disney race for a while because the total cost has gotten too expensive but since I am already there I am leaning toward doing it. I just don't know how much of a nightmare it is from Fort Wilderness given how huge the place is and how many bus transfers are needed. I'll have my car so I guess I could just drive but the roads are bound to be closed. Any feedback?

It’s my fav place to stay for a race. Race buses in the FW parking lot. The internal buses run to the race buses, or its pretty easy to drive to the bus. I’m not sure I’d want to run if I were tent camping, but cabin (what we did) or comfy camper are fine.

It’s my fav place to stay for a race. Race buses in the FW parking lot. The internal buses run to the race buses, or its pretty easy to drive to the bus. I’m not sure I’d want to run if I were tent camping, but cabin (what we did) or comfy camper are fine.
C2378F9C-C6EC-493B-8A27-A2B83A052561.jpeg
That’s my camper. It sleeps ten so when just the wife and I go it’s got plenty of space. :rolleyes:

Art of Animation or one of the All Star resorts for a race weekend? If you vote All Star, which one?

DH has said I can do the W&D race weekend, but it will be on a much tighter budget than prior WDW trips. We have never stayed at either a value or moderate resort before so looking for thoughts from those who have.

I’m also conflicted about going since my plan is to run a November half for time, and the race I had been planning on is the weekend after W&D (it will be much smaller, @100 people). DH thinks I will do better at WDW than I will put by myself.

Art of Animation or one of the All Star resorts for a race weekend? If you vote All Star, which one?

DH has said I can do the W&D race weekend, but it will be on a much tighter budget than prior WDW trips. We have never stayed at either a value or moderate resort before so looking for thoughts from those who have.

I’m also conflicted about going since my plan is to run a November half for time, and the race I had been planning on is the weekend after W&D (it will be much smaller, @100 people). DH thinks I will do better at WDW than I will put by myself.
I’ve never stayed in Art if Animation, but I think I have stayed in each of the All Stars. My preference is Sports. It’s the first bus stop. So, first on the bus (if buses go to all resorts), and first off.

I was at AoA in a cars room for wine and dine and was just as happy with the race logistics as I was at pop, but I’ve never done an AS. As far as your downgrade, I can compare to a deluxe. The price differential gave it the edge over BC - again for race purposes, I’d prefer BC any day but the cost up was not worth the free lobby coffee, and neither bus was clearly better.

Question: many people suggest saving running shoes for running, and I understand why this is a good idea. However, in my new year goal to figure out how to run while traveling for work, I need to determine a better packing strategy. I’m irritated as I can pack for a week and a half in a carry on without the extra shoes and clothes. I’m thinking I just bring the more worn out but not yet retired running shoes and use them for both running and my casual days (I currently use shoes that are no longer useful for running). What is the downfall to this except it becomes harder to track mileage?

Update from Fridays Question. I agree with everyone and yea walking a marathon not trained is a bad idea and I will not be doing it. I also tried to defer but in the fine print it says you have to do so two weeks before the event, so I'm just considering it a charitable donation at this point.

Enjoying MW here at WDW. Need to go to sleep soon...that 2:45 alarm is set!

@LSUlakes Did you pull the trigger on tickets to the game? Joe Burrow is from a town near me...saw him play when my local HS played Athens HS in the state playoffs his senior year. Knew then he had talent! Was hoping for an OSU-LSU match up, but my Buckeyes didn’t cooperate!

I do not know if you or anyone else has played the game of stalking ticket web site but WOW!!! I had set a number on what I wanted to spend and a few tickets would pop up for $20 more than my limit. Ya I know that sounds silly to not buy based on $20 but the line had to be drawn somewhere. So anyway, They pop up and then would be gone in like 10 minutes. Well this morning there was nothing even close so we got dressed and went to church. Walking up to church i check the app and I see the lowest price I have seen all week by a lot! I pull out my CC and go through the process only to be told someone else got them before me :( I was so sad. walk out of church and see some more that are low, not as low as the other ones but still a number I could live with. Again I go to buy and then it tells me my CC was declined!!! WHAT! I then get a text alert from the CC for fraud, and im like of hell no I want these tickets. Do what I have to, and finally get the tickets!!!! I've never been so happy to spend so much money on a 4 hour event! We leave after lunch tomorrow, which I am sure will be a very unproductive work day lol. GEAUX TIGERS!!!! Also, we love Joe and what hes done here and I think Tiger nation showed that love by raising $500,000+ for his community after his Heisman speech.

Hi, all! Happy 2020.

Questions!
Goals: lots of health stuff, would like to generally continue the positive trend with my times...vague enough? ;)
Time of day: am definitively NOT a morning person. So I'll hit the gym after work (and try to avoid some of the rush hour traffic). So far, it's been working pretty well.
Marathon Weekend: no Disney trips planned for the foreseeable future, but good luck to everyone down there this weekend!
Hydrating: Since I'll be working out after work, I'll have been drinking water all day and keep a bottle with me just in case (I sweat a LOT).
Shoes: I do track the miles as best as I can, but like others, I'll go by feel.
Walking a marathon: as a walker, I will loudly join the chorus of NO! While it may be possible to finish, trying to hit that distance undertrained just seems like a recipe for injury.

I've got a few big things already on my calendar for the year, including a few triathlons (!!!). And happily, got access to a pool, so I just did laps for an hour today -- something I haven't done since h.s. My arms are already feeling it...but it's the nice pain :) Am so looking forward to making pool time a regular occurrence.

In light of today’s marathon (Congrats to everyone that ran today whether you finished or not!) temps, I have a question. It maybe a little TMI

Are there any tricks to not stink? Seriously. I sweat - a lot - even when it’s not hot. Deodorant is a given as is moisture-wicking clothes. Any other suggestions?

I have an upcoming race with some friends and it makes me extremely self conscious to hang with them and certainly ride home with them after the race because I know it will be bad.

In light of today’s marathon (Congrats to everyone that ran today whether you finished or not!) temps, I have a question. It maybe a little TMI

Are there any tricks to not stink? Seriously. I sweat - a lot - even when it’s not hot. Deodorant is a given as is moisture-wicking clothes. Any other suggestions?

I have an upcoming race with some friends and it makes me extremely self conscious to hang with them and certainly ride home with them after the race because I know it will be bad.

Maybe try shower wipes after the race before getting in for the ride home?

I love love love Art of Animation, but the cheaper rooms are the Little Mermaid rooms, which are far from the buses. The closer rooms are the suites, and those are more like moderate to deluxe pricing.

In terms of the All Stars, I've only ever stayed at Sports for a race weekend, and it was fine.

Question: many people suggest saving running shoes for running, and I understand why this is a good idea. However, in my new year goal to figure out how to run while traveling for work, I need to determine a better packing strategy. I’m irritated as I can pack for a week and a half in a carry on without the extra shoes and clothes. I’m thinking I just bring the more worn out but not yet retired running shoes and use them for both running and my casual days (I currently use shoes that are no longer useful for running). What is the downfall to this except it becomes harder to track mileage?

I've done that (well, I brought two pairs of shoes, one for running only and the other for mixed running/casual use, but I'm also a chronic overpacker). The main downside is the wear and tear on the shoes. It can also sometimes be uncomfortable to run in shoes that you've been wearing for days because the cushion gets worn out and may need some time to recover. But I think that if you're focusing on lighter packing, it's doable.

Bring a change of clothes and change your shirt at least. You might even spray perfume on the shirt you change into to mask any smell. That said, anyone who signs up to ride in a car with people after a road race has to be prepared for odors. Comes with the territory.

The stink is from bacteria in the weave of the cloth. Typically it's harder to get them fully out of moisture wicking material. So when you sweat in it again they activate and emit odors again. Regular washing helps but a vinegar soak or something similar might be needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter