The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: We ate at a Mexican restaurant on Saturday night. There were no special activities or anything. I was hoping for a Mariachi group, but nope. Quatro de Mayo got no special celebration there!

At my 10k this weekend, the 2 leaders just off the start line kept running straight out of the recreation area instead of making a left turn onto the main road.Deputies stationed at the corner there were yelling at them, but they either were wearing earbuds or were just in the zone and didn’t hear. According to the deputies, some spectators were motioning them to go on straight. There were signs at the bib pick-up showing the route, the race director gave instructions before starting the race, and deputies were at the corner of the turn, and still they missed it. They went almost a quarter mile out of the way.One turned back and left mad, the other came back to the course, continued running, and came in second overall!!!

@LSUlakes It made me wonder if anyone here has ever gone the wrong way in a race. Would this be a good QOTD, or is it so rare that NOBODY else ever does it?

I did that at my 10K this past february, ran around a traffic circle, was supposed to go from 6:00 to 12:00 counterclockwise and keep going straight, but I went 6:00 to 9:00 counterclockwise, basically taking a left then took the next right that had me running on US 301 with no sidewalk! I quickly deduced no one in their right mind would plan a course like this, and that's when I noticed two runners who had been behind me on a parallel rd. to my right. I cut across the grass to get on the road I was supposed to be on, eventually caught back up to them, and finished 1st. The detour cost me about .06 miles. Race volunteers at the traffic circle were not properly educated in the course or in giving instructions to runners, as they had missed the "mandatory" volunteer meeting the day before. They didn't give incorrect directions, just none at all, leaving us to guess which way to go.

I'm back from Disney. I've got a weeks worth of QOTD to catch up on. I'm avoiding laundry so this seems like a good way to procrastinate.

QOTD: Saturday v Sunday. Saturday or a weekday. We go to church on Sunday. Weekdays may become more often moving forward because Saturday mornings are getting busy with swim, basketball, soccer and hockey.

QOTD: Shoes. I just got fitted for the first time ever. I ended up getting some Adidas Boost. I really like them. Before that, I was a sale shopper (still am). I had Brooks (don't know which kind) that I loved and New Balance that I didn't love.

QOTD: Socks. I was just running in some random Target socks but when I went to get fitted for shoes, I thought new socks were a good idea. I got
Balega socks and oh my goodness, they are rocking my world. Who knew socks could make such a difference?

QOTD: I haven't run at Disney. I'm too tired. 4 kids.

QOTD: No Cinco de Mayo stuff here. I had Chipotle the night before though.

April totals: 68 miles.

No racing for me this weekend, but I did go spectate the Broad Street 10 Miler in Philly! I didn't realize so many DisRunners were doing that race or I would have made a sign!!! Doh. I missed seeing @SarahDisney (but she saw my husband!) and @mrsg00fy. But I was out at mile 8.5 by Oregon street clapping and cheering in the rain for like 35 minutes! I would have much rather been running. ;) There were soooo many people running and trying to find anyone in that crowd was obviously impossible. It was such a great time though. Good job to all our DisRunners! :)

C8-vvc_znU6FkFEASx5wwYQYy_SbS05CEB8k9Oz8__Az54jEssPvs4HC7JHadIvH8yL6QkGl8uvoFSMxZHjCrfXhsqCX34xvs5OmXczqr6vWLPvJwBpk6gcf1MGNW93xwS-EHuL1Sg=w750-h500

I knew about 20 people running yesterday but as you said there were so many people running I didn’t see any of them. Then though at about mile 8 I was all the way to the left and I heard my name called. I looked over and further to my right and about 5 steps behind me was a buddy I didn’t even know was running. That was a nice random run in (pun intended).

I knew about 20 people running yesterday but as you said there were so many people running I didn’t see any of them. Then though at about mile 8 I was all the way to the left and I heard my name called. I looked over and further to my right and about 5 steps behind me was a buddy I didn’t even know was running. That was a nice random run in (pun intended).
I saw your run on Strava and that was the point I was like "I should have made a dang sign!" I was gonna do something like "Where my DIS Runners at?!" Haha. Oh well!

ATTQOTD: Yes and no: I had a Cuatro de Mayo celebration with my post race tacos on Saturday. On Sunday, we went to a local chain grill/pub and I had tacos of the Tex-Mex variety, unlike the authentic tacos the day before.

I've never gone the wrong way on a course. I can't remember even coming close. I study the map and even drive the course if possible. They're been a few times when the volunteers manning a turn have been goofing off and I've had to ask, which always annoys me. How hard would it be to point? </grumpyOldManRant>

Last edited:

ATTQOTDs: No race on Cinco De Mayo but I saw a Cinco De Miler 5 mile that I had FOMO about. Maybe next year. I had lasagna for dinner so I failed in theme-ing.

RE going off path. I did this last week on the Castaway Cay 5k. I ran towards the lookout tower on my second lap and had people yelling for me to go back. I feel like I was warned about it too on the ship but I hadn't had my coffee yet.

Possible side QOTD: How do parents of elementary school age kids work their running schedule around kids' activities? It's only kindergarten but we've started doing multiple sports now. Does it get easier when they are a little older because you can just drop them off, go run, and pick them back up? Right now I'm at stay in the building age I think.

Last edited:
I have only got turned around on a course once. It is a local trail 15k that I do every year and it's less than two miles from my house.

Last year, one part wasn't marked great so myself and four other people got "lost" for about five minutes until we found the pink flag showing us that we needed to go a different direction.

Possible side QOTD: How do parents of elementary school age kids work their running schedule around kids' activities? It's only kindergarten but we've started doing multiple sports now. Does it get easier when they are a little older because you can just drop them off, go run, and pick them back up? Right now I'm at stay in the building age I think.
I have ran during baseball practices. I have ran during dance practices. I have ran during swim practices. But mostly, I run in the morning because that works best for me. I feel like I only felt like I needed to stay when she was really little, but now she is 7 and they can just call me if they need me. Haha.

I have ran during baseball practices. I have ran during dance practices. I have ran during swim practices. But mostly, I run in the morning because that works best for me. I feel like I only felt like I needed to stay when she was really little, but now she is 7 and they can just call me if they need me. Haha.

Ok, we are at exactly 6.5 yrs old so maybe my helicoptering will diminish soon :)

ATTQOTDs:
Possible side QOTD: How do parents of elementary school age kids work their running schedule around kids' activities? It's only kindergarten but we've started doing multiple sports
now. Does it get easier when they are a little older because you can just drop them off, go run, and pick them back up? Right now I'm at stay in the building age I think.
They won't want to hang out with us forever so I am going to accept that half marathons or less are where it is at until they are 12.
I am also a stay in the building, stare at the field, hand a tissue to every kid on the bench mode so I am feeling your challenge on this one. I can run on my lunch hour, I can wake up and run in the dark before work , or run in the dark before kids weekend activities begin. I can occasionally negotiate to have DH get the kids out the door in the AM for a slightly longer run, but this is rare.

I see more kindergarten parents cool with dropping their kids off and leaving than I would have expected. Most of those that do have one or more older siblings so I have concluded the parents are numb to life or figure they tried really hard to do everything for the oldest and nothing we do matters, so why try? Until you hear on the news that some crazy person tried to abduct a 7 year old at knife point in broad daylight at a grocery store, and then everyone goes back to hovering for a week or two.

I think I'm gonna sign up for this too. I know a few locals traveling down there to do the full or half.

rates increase on the 10th or 13th of this month. Marathon is currently less than $100.00. DO IT!!!!!

It made me wonder if anyone here has ever gone the wrong way in a race. Would this be a good QOTD, or is it so rare that NOBODY else ever does it?

Since you are getting plenty of replies on this topic I wouldn't want to double ask the question tomorrow. It is a good question though! I'll answer, as well. I have not had this happen to me before, but it's a fear of mine lol.

ATTQOTDs: No race on Cinco De Mayo but I saw a Cinco De Miler 5 mile that I had FOMO about. Maybe next year. I had lasagna for dinner so I failed in theme-ing.

RE going off path. I did this last week on the Castaway Cay 5k. I ran towards the lookout tower on my second lap and had people yelling for me to go back. I feel like I was warned about it too on the ship but I hadn't had my coffee yet.

I have three in sports, and the answer is yes and no. Practice you can just drop them off (in fact the park where they practice has a great running trail so i run when they are practicing.) But Game days mean no running as i want to be there to cheer them on. I started running at lunch at work to free up some time, but i understand this is only an option for a very few.

Wrong way question...I've been in a couple of trail races where the group in front of me went the wrong way (at least I was 95% sure it was them and not me). I yelled a warning to them and kept going the correct way.

Kiddo question...When my daughter was in high school her travel soccer team played every year in a Disney tournament. Best of both worlds as at least one parent went with. Otherwise, we tried hard not to be helicopters, snow plows, or lawn mowers! We would rather they became resilient problem solvers than trying to keep them happy 100% of the time. Easy to say now, much harder to do at the time.

ATTQOTD-Bonus question-Wrong Way Runnng

I really dislike owning up to this story...again. At the Monster Mash Marathon several years ago I ran the wrong way.
The full and half started together and split after 6 miles, then rejoined again at mile 18 of the marathon course (mile 8 for half) before splitting again.
It was early morning with bright sunshine when it happened. I was following a large group of runners that appeared to be crossing the highway on the left.
So I did too. There was one policeman stopping traffic and waving the runners through.
It seemed strange that everyone around me had a HM bib on, and one runner said to me at mile 8/18,"Wow, you are really crushing it today."
I said "thanks, you too." Then someone else said it.
And then the water stop people were congratulating me for being the first marathoner to make it mile 18.
That's when I confirmed that I missed the turn for the marathon and had been running with the half runners.
I considered just finishing out the half, but decided to turn around and run 2+ additional miles against the field to get back on course.

When I got back on course, I was dead last and worried about being swept.
I managed to pass a few people along the way, and by the time I finished my 30+ mile run, the race director had received word of my adventures and gave me some good-natured ribbing over the PA system.

ATTQOTD-Bonus question-Wrong Way Runnng

I really dislike owning up to this story...again. At the Monster Mash Marathon several years ago I ran the wrong way.
The full and half started together and split after 6 miles, then rejoined again at mile 18 of the marathon course (mile 8 for half) before splitting again.
It was early morning with bright sunshine when it happened. I was following a large group of runners that appeared to be crossing the highway on the left.
So I did too. There was one policeman stopping traffic and waving the runners through.
It seemed strange that everyone around me had a HM bib on, and one runner said to me at mile 8/18,"Wow, you are really crushing it today."
I said "thanks, you too." Then someone else said it.
And then the water stop people were congratulating me for being the first marathoner to make it mile 18.
That's when I confirmed that I missed the turn for the marathon and had been running with the half runners.
I considered just finishing out the half, but decided to turn around and run 2+ additional miles against the field to get back on course.

When I got back on course, I was dead last and worried about being swept.
I managed to pass a few people along the way, and by the time I finished my 30+ mile run, the race director had received word of my adventures and gave me some good-natured ribbing over the PA system.
Kudos to you for being able to pull that off. I’m not that strong. You are a rockstar in my book.

Bonus ATTQOTD: I did my first trail race earlier this year and there were a few times where I got mildly off course but nothing major. I missed one turn but realized it with in about 30 seconds, stopped and was able to find the ribbon. Then there were a few times where I knew where I had to go/could see the path a head of me, but couldn’t see the route to it so I went a little off path to get to where I needed to be.

ATTQOTDs: RE going off path. I did this last week on the Castaway Cay 5k. I ran towards the lookout tower on my second lap and had people yelling for me to go back. I feel like I was warned about it too on the ship but I hadn't had my coffee yet.
The only time I have gone the wrong way was also at the Castaway Cay 5K although mine was 4 years ago and I think they have changed the course since then. But I ran it fast and got to a point near the end where there was nobody around me and I hit a fork in the path. I went right at the fork and hit a dead end. I had to turn back and go left. Not really a big deal but it was so hot that morning and I really wanted to finish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter