The Running Thread - 2019

@LSUlakes, would you please add a race to the schedule for me?

Feb 2 - @camaker - Light 2 Light 50 Miler (A Goal: Finish, B Goal: Don't die)

Really going out on a limb on this one. Here's hoping that slowing down enough will get me through! I haven't been this nervous about a race since my first marathon. The 50k I could rationalize as "just 5 more miles than a marathon", but this one is completely uncharted territory.

Good luck @camaker You will do great. You are already focusing on one of the keys (IMO) of the jump from 50K to 50 miler - pace and slowing down. It is about finding a good efficient pace you can carry and simply cruising. The 50 miler is yours! Really it is just a 50k plus some extra hours. The body is pretty awesome and it will follow what you tell it. When you finished the 50k before it might have felt like that is as far as you could go. But this time you just keep cruising, your mind will know you still have 19 miles to go and your body will follow! Can’t wait to hear how it goes.

another hard breather here -- pace is really by what it feels like I can handle (am used to pushing myself, but I also know my limits...). Some days, the limiting factor is the breathing (adult-onset asthma! woo-hoo :P ), some days it's the ankle, some days actually feel all right. It would be nice to get faster, though.

Nice. Congratulations! I’m doing my first Indoor Triathlon on the 27th.

Thanks! Good luck to you!

Adding to the pace discussion....Running at a conversational pace—yeah, well, I run alone. So doing that means talking to myself, and some days I just don’t want to listen to what she has to say!

For me pace =effort=breath. Easy means I can breathe solely through my nose, harder effort means mouth breathing and breath count. It’s sorta yoga-y, but it works for me.

I've got catching up to do...

ATTQOTD (medal): Rock n' Roll Nashville 2018. I've never felt stronger than I did in this race and I absolutely loved Nashville. Plus the medal is sparkly! LOL.
RNR Nash.jpg

ATTQOTD (fun runs): I try to have two or three goal races per year, and the rest are considered fun runs. All of my Disney runs have been fun runs because I spend way too much money on them not to enjoy them. I do have fun on about 95% of my runs though, so I guess even the goal races count as fun.

ATTQOTD (pace): When I started running I ran every run as fast as possible, and have since learned this is a horrible idea. I don't really gauge my easy runs off of pace, more off of how I am breathing and how my body feels. This could be anywhere from a 10:00 to 12:00 mile depending on the day. Other things I've noticed influence the pace are how I've eaten and how much water I have (or have not) had throughout the day and day before.

I'm also a hard breather. :)

Well, I have Wineglass on my schedule for the fall, so "get back to running outside of OTF" has been on my list of "things I need to start doing soon" but now I registered for a 10K in April, so now it REALLY is. :o

@LSUlakes please add me for:

April
13 - Miranda - New Castle 10K (NG / N/A)

QOTD: Non running related question today. Some POS made a duplicate of our CC and decided to make some purchases. Lucky for us it started just two days ago so the amount did not get out of hand, but the inconvenience of this whole process sucks! For todays question I wanted to ask if you have ever had your card info stolen and what was the outcome?

ATTQOTD: Yes and the unauthorized charges will be removed from our account. Frustrating part is not having our card for another 3-5 days and having to take care of some other details. Also I HATE a THIEF!!!!

ATTQOTD: Yes, this has happened to me once with Uber. I had logged into my bank account and noticed $400 dollars worth of uber charges. I called the bank and they said the rides were from San Fran. I confirmed I was not in San Fran and filed a fraud report. The bank credited me the money the same day and opened a claim. They also canceled the card and I reported the fraud to Uber. It took about 3 months for the "investigation" to wrap up, but it was determined that it was fraud. The process was actually not as bad as I had anticipated.

Attqotd: yes. I used to work on the east coast in summers, and the Rockies in winter. I was usually borderline broke on my way back to the coast, and had my numbers lifted somewhere between UT and Mass. My bank returned all the money.

Side note, at first I read as “Point Of Sales.” Which also works. Thanks restaurant life.

QOTD: Non running related question today. Some POS made a duplicate of our CC and decided to make some purchases. Lucky for us it started just two days ago so the amount did not get out of hand, but the inconvenience of this whole process sucks! For todays question I wanted to ask if you have ever had your card info stolen and what was the outcome?

ATTQOTD: Yes and the unauthorized charges will be removed from our account. Frustrating part is not having our card for another 3-5 days and having to take care of some other details. Also I HATE a THIEF!!!!

I am so sorry to hear this!
It has happened to me in two forms: my credit card was used about my town for things. I worked at a bank to pay for college and old habits die hard so I am still one who checks statements and balances a checkbook, and it is a good thing as those charges were not about to be flagged. I called and the whole thing took 3 days of phone calls, emails and faxing forms back to the bank. I have two cards for this reason, and because I had a problem with my card being denied internationally and I wanted a back up.
Savings and checking account fraud is more of a PITA as there are not the same protections as for a credit card. I will never forget the ridiculousness of my husband ordering checks and someone stealing them and writing paper checks to drain his account from Vermont, where the checks were printed. There were digital images of the cleared checks and it was clearly nowhere near his signature, and the people at the bank and they still basically told him he was SOL. He never got all of his money back, but I also think he could have fought harder (now I can never tell him my DIS alias, huh?).

ATTQOTD: Yep. This fall our Disney Visa card info was stolen and the charge was to a party planning company in Albania.... Visa called immediately (before we even knew) and cancelled the card. The sad part is I had a gold card with R2 and C3PO and now I have a BB-8 one. Still cute but I liked the other one more. First world problems!

This reminds me, I noticed a $36 charge at Nomad Lounge last week but we definitely spent more than that. I need to make sure we didn’t get charged for ours and someone else’s.

My parents’ info was stolen by a skimmer at the gas station. I’ve also seen a lot of stories of waiters stealing info when they take the card back.

People are the worst.

ATTQOTD: Many times and, honestly, it's never been a big deal at my end. Inform bank, if bank wasn't the one to inform me, of the fraudulent charges, cancel card, reissue with new number, change the things that get auto-paid by card when I get the new one. (Things on auto-pay will continue to be paid through the old card for a number of weeks.) As a former banker, I'll say that I will never, ever own a debit card: bad guys get a hold of that number and they can clean out your bank account - and it can often take time for the bank to conduct its investigation before you can get all of your money back. I only use an ATM card (NOT debit - not Visa/MC) for making deposits/withdrawals at my bank ATM, and use a credit card for everything else.

My first CC theft was also the most bizarre, so I'll share it! Time period = early 90s: we had no Internet, no cell phone, no online banking, ordering, etc. Brand-new Amex card, never used for anything before I used it to rent a car on a trip to NY (I live in FL.) A week or so after returning home form the trip, I got a call from Neiman Marcus, informing me that an item I ordered wasn't available and asking would I like to replace it with something else? And I was all, "Um, I've never ordered anything from Neiman Marcus - I think you have the wrong number." Conversation ensued and we figured out that someone used my credit card number, my name, and my actual phone number to place a catalog order and have it delivered to her (the thief's) address in NY! The very nice gentleman from Neiman Marcus canceled the order, I called Amex to cancel my card and called the NY-local PD to log a report, and I called the car rental agency to let them know, and they confirmed the person whose name was on the delivery address of the order worked for them. I have no idea what happened to the thief, but I received Neiman Marcus catalogs at my address for about a decade after lol!

ATTQOTD: I have lost count how many times this has happened to me. Definitely once with a credit card I no longer have (I suspect it was swiped by the hotel staff at a hotel I was staying at for a work thing, because I didn't normally use that card at all and used it for that trip), definitely once with a Best Buy credit card (and that one somehow involved a person getting into my Best Buy account and adding their shipping address to my account and ordering themselves a very expensive DSLR), and definitely once with my American Express. There have been a handful of other times (3-4 maybe?) where some fraudulent charges were made but the CC did not close the entire card and they just took the disputed charges off.

I'm not sure what makes a CC decide whether or not to close the whole thing or just to only remove the charges. It's never been a big deal on my end other than time wasted contacting them to tell them the charges were fraudulent and having to fill out an affadavit.

ATTQOTD: I hate when that happens. Have had that happen a few times, most of the time it was clearly done electronically, but one time the call from the bank about suspicious charges clued us in to my wife's car being broken into (Yes, she left her purse in the car that night.)

@LSUlakes
Also, I’ll jump in and do the Friday Fun QOTD: with the talk here recently about medals, I’m wondering what is your favorite medal? It can be one that you actually have or just you that you’ve seen and thought looked awesome.

2014 Gasparilla Half Medal:

2014_Gasparilla.JPG

A late start to the thread today! Getting back to real life is not a fun adjustment after Disney! QOTD: How often do you run races just for fun?

Rarely. I try to run every race as fast as I can on that day. There have only been two that I ran slower on purpose. One when I ran with my wife and son (in a stroller) and one where I wanted to run a half at Zone 2 and ran with a friend.

QOTD: Yesterday afternoon while driving home I started to ponder how each of us get to what we consider a comfortable pace for running. My thought is what makes a 8 minute pace easy for one person while 10 minute pace for someone else. I guess the question is how did you determine what your starting comfortable pace is? Also, do you think it would be possible if when you started to say I want "x" pace to be what my normal runs are at? For example lets say 9 min/mi is where you are today and is comfortable, do you think if you started with a 7:30 min/mi and did not know any better that, that pace would be your normal? I realize there are a lot of factors from person to person on this question but I was curious what everyone thought?

Now that I use a heart rate monitor it is easier to stick with a slower, comfortable pace based on zones. My current aerobic base pace is way slower than even my easy pace. I'm in the high 9:00 range now while my easy pace is usually just into the 8:00 range. A lot of it comes down to your fitness and as mentioned already as your aerobic fitness improves your easy pace will as well even if you top end doesn't.

A few times. I only use a credit card, never debit, because you are never really out the money. The actual theft doesn't bother me beyond the moral outrage stuff but if it is my primary card I have to go into every bill that I have the card auto-saved and replace it.

As a little PSA, often immeidately after your card is replaced you will see further fraudulent transactions, sometimes before you even receive the new card, but that doesn't mean your new card is compromised. Due to how authorizations are released and charge-back regulations a fraudulent transaction that was done on your old card could appear to also happen on your new card. Baring an inside job (rare) this isn't the case and you are free to continue to use the newly issued card.

ATTQOTD: Actual CC fraud, maybe minor things. More often is the practically annual letter from BoA saying “CC data has been breached, blah,blah blah. Here’s a new card”

What’s worse is having your checking account digitally hacked and multiple debits made totaling thousands of dollars. This happened to us a few years ago. Purchases made at cell phone stores. Apparently this is quite common. I am fastidious with my receipts and never make debit card purchases, so who knows how it happened. Ultimately, the money was restored, but unlike credit cards, the cash is gone til they investigate and make a determination in your favor. It was a stressful period of time til it was resolved.

ATTQOTD: looks like I need to knock on wood before answering, because Inhave been lucky so far. Haven’t had this happen to me.

ATTQOTD: Yes, this has happened to me numerous times. My strategy now is that I use only one card for everything, and I have the app from the card company installed on my phone. I have it setup to give me a "push" notification any time any charge or pre-authorization occurs on my account. That has helped me identify the last two fraud attempts immediately.

According to the people that I've spoken to at the CC company, the most common places where CC numbers are stolen are restaurants, because that is the place where your card is most commonly out of your control and out of sight.

Yes...about 10 years ago while at the Wilderness Lodge. Someone (I believe it was our mouse keeper) wrote down the number for my Gap credit card...but didn’t steal the actual card, so I didn’t know it was stolen until the bill came.

They spent almost $1000 at an Orlando-area Gap - and were able to have the cashier key in the CC number.

Disney didn’t seem to care about our complaint...and getting the paperwork to void us of the charges was a big pain.

Lesson learned about leaving a wallet unattended in a hotel room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter