The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Are you influenced by things that elite runners do? For example are you more inclined to purchase a product they have used or a training method they endorse?

ATTQOTD: My answer has to be yes and no. Do I go out of my way to purchase item "x" because athlete "y" used it and had great results, my answer would be no. But I also think if a particular item has a lot of positive results, over time that thing will become more mainstream. Other companies will make a similar item, and the older products would be replaced by it, thus leaving me with no choice but to purchase it.

No, I don't usually fall for marketing. I'd much rather listen to people on here, with real life experiences, and abilities closer to mine than anything Nike has to say, for example. The elites have their shoes specially made for them. The same Sketchers Meb wears I can't buy in a store. They have their fuel held specially for them at fueling stations so they don't need water belts and stuff either. And my leg weighs more than some of these runners so I'm not fitting into their clothes either. :rolleyes:

Still miserably hot & humid here in central FL.

They said on the news that temps for September were higher than June, July & August. October has had higher than normal temps so far and there doesn’t seem to be any relief in sight.

This week we have the following folks with races!!!!

13 - @disneydaydreamer33 - Salt Lake City Haunted Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
13 - @kleph - Hartford Marathon (4:00:00 / N/A)
13 - @Sanchez - The Dam Tri/Lake Murray (NG / N/A)
14 - @SarahDisney - NYRR Staten Island Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
14 - @gjramsey - Cypress Texas 10 (NG / N/A)
14 - @KSellers88 - 30A Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
14 - @MissLiss279 - Prairie Fire Half Marathon (1:59:00 / N/A)

My apologies to posting the list late. I thought I had already done so. Hope yall have a great race and we look forward to hearing how it went! If you would like to revise your goal, just let me know and I will make the adjustment in the OP.

Please add me to the list...

13 - @Kerry1957 - Des Plaines River Trail Marathon (5:59:59 / N/A)

I'll keep the goal, but since it's my first M, I really just want to finish upright on my own power. Course conditions continue to deteriorate as the river crests. It's now a 4-loop course with three sections ( each section 30-150 yards long) of each loop having ankle or deeper water. Temperature will be 37 degrees at the start, but warming to 49 by the finish.

Still miserably hot & humid here in central FL.

They said on the news that temps for September were higher than June, July & August. October has had higher than normal temps so far and there doesn’t seem to be any relief in sight.
I spent 3 weeks in central Florida in September and the lows were around 78 degrees with humidity at or above 95% every night. My runs were miserable, but now that I am back home my runs are much easier for having gone through that.

The temps will be between 40-50 degrees for my final long run tomorrow (21 miler). I can't wait. I feel so ready for this run, and my Strava freshness score is 4.9 going into it. :cool1:

It was nice here today and tomorrow morning is going to be AMAZING!!!!!

It was 40* this morning, and should be closer to 35* for AM runs this weekend. This girl is whining Patagonia decided to discontinue the one pair of leggings I liked to run in last winter, and digging out some sort of ear protection. I've been stalking ebay for the Saucony jacket I liked that has now been discontinued, so I guess I'll add the tights to my search :(

BUT IT WILL NOT BE HUMID!!!!!

It was 40* this morning, and should be closer to 35* for AM runs this weekend. This girl is whining Patagonia decided to discontinue the one pair of leggings I liked to run in last winter, and digging out some sort of ear protection. I've been stalking ebay for the Saucony jacket I liked that has now been discontinued, so I guess I'll add the tights to my search :(

BUT IT WILL NOT BE HUMID!!!!!
While 40 or 35 is not quite cold enough for me to be digging out my long winter leggings, you have reminded me that I need to GET some long winter leggings again this year. :( Both pairs of mine that I had been running in for the past 3 years finally gave it up at the end of the winter season last year and the seam on the right leg ripped in the inner thigh area on both (I always manage to wear through the inner thigh on the right leg, I must do something differently with that leg than the other). As a fluffier runner, I can be hard on the inner thighs of pants. :) 3 years is a pretty good run, though... no pun intended.

I had a pair of Sugoi Mid-Zero tights for like the 25-30F range and Sub-Zero ones for 25F and below. They weren't quite adequate when you got down into the single digits but they were thicker than the Mid-Zeros at least. :) Hopefully the current models will fit me ok. I seem to have located about 20 lbs since I originally bought them, although only a few of those are since the last time I wore them, so fingers crossed... or I guess I better buckle down and lose a couple lbs before winter so I can run outside in winter again. :o I haven't made it back outside to run again since August, but my running group is starting back up the free winter group probably around Thanksgiving, so I'll be joining them for that again at least.

This week we have the following folks with races!!!!

13 - @disneydaydreamer33 - Salt Lake City Haunted Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
13 - @kleph - Hartford Marathon (4:00:00 / N/A)
13 - @Sanchez - The Dam Tri/Lake Murray (NG / N/A)
14 - @SarahDisney - NYRR Staten Island Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
14 - @gjramsey - Cypress Texas 10 (NG / N/A)
14 - @KSellers88 - 30A Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
14 - @MissLiss279 - Prairie Fire Half Marathon (1:59:00 / N/A)

My apologies to posting the list late. I thought I had already done so. Hope yall have a great race and we look forward to hearing how it went! If you would like to revise your goal, just let me know and I will make the adjustment in the OP.

after three months of solid training -- good performance, no injury, improving stamina/pace -- i was feeling pretty optimistic about this race. but the last week has been a disappointing mess. i've been fending off a sinus infection since last saturday and have barely run at all since monday. thus far i've kept this illness from going DEFCON 1 but i've certainly not felt good at all. so, at this point, i've got no idea what tomorrow will bring.

Something just occurred to me as I was reading the answers to yesterday's QOTD re: elite runners' influence... I can't believe nobody mentioned using the Galloway Method and/or timer! I'll hazard to guess whoooooole lot of folks here have been influenced by his training methodology. ;)

In other news... FALL IS FINALLY COMING!!!!! I mean, it's fall to me, anyway. Dropping into the high-60s tonight, then low-70s as lows for the rest of the week - highs still near 90, but I'll take it! I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow morning's long run. :)

Something just occurred to me as I was reading the answers to yesterday's QOTD re: elite runners' influence... I can't believe nobody mentioned using the Galloway Method and/or timer! I'll hazard to guess whoooooole lot of folks here have been influenced by his training methodology. ;)

Funny you mentioned Galloway. I thought about mentioning him. I used his plan to prepare for Dopey in 2015.
Part of the plan involved two days of running no more than 45 minutes. Back then I would run about 4.61 miles in 45 minutes.

Even today, when I hit 4.61 miles on my watch, I think about those workouts "for Galloway."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter