The Running Thread - 2018

September:
Total miles: 126
Average Pace: 7:42

Haven't been able to up my mileage yet, but did three 12 mile long runs. Unfortunately it's been causing some hip flexor issues, hopefully a change in my gait will help. I also signed up for my first and last marathon. Extremely nervous about it - eeks!

Great job! I know a lot of people who were running it (this race is local-ish to me)... you guys had a nice day today.

I was just reading in the local paper that a woman came in 1st overall, too!

She did. I saw her on the out and back. I was at about mile 8 and she was at 11. It is a great race, you should try it.

Good Morning all!

My September totals:

Running - Distance - 65.76 miles (PR), Time - 9:39:07, Pace - 8:48 (PR)
Walking - Distance - 97.96 miles, Time - 27:33:00, Pace 16:52

I have decided to try running instead of walking on my lunch break. Should allow me to hit my fall running distance per week goal.

September Summary:
Stuck to my plan of throttling down on the running to fully repair my achilles tendonitis ahead of 10K/half marathon training kicking off on 10/22, which by the way will be our AK day when we're at WDW. Come to find out that the elliptical was not helping things out and I have discontinued that and am feeling almost 100%.

Running: 44.5 miles
Biking: 101 miles
Pool: Closed

October plan:
Stay off elliptical and ramp up running mileage ahead of official training plan beginning on 10/22. Food and Wine festival [10/17 - 10/25]. Leaf raking/blowing.

Good luck to those running Chicago on 10/7 and for those running Hartford on 10/13 [my back yard...... actually side yard]!

September was a pretty good month. Stuck to the plan and completed all runs. The pacing is starting to come around as the temperatures start to slightly moderate, so there's hope for Chicago, yet. I only got 3 of my 4 planned bike rides in, though, as life intervened yesterday. Without further ado, the details:

September Summary
Running Miles: 144.7
Running Time: 25:23:41
Average Running Pace: 10:32/mi

Cycling Miles: 52.6
Cycling Time: 3:14:32
Average Cycling Speed: 16.2 mph

Smuttynose 1/2 Marathon in the books.

This is my first race for time since September of 2015. That happened to be a 1/2 marathon as well and I ran that with plantar fasciitis. But since then all my races were for fun or to work back from my injury. So I was pretty nervous this week. My goal was under 2:00. But my training hasn’t been great because the hills I run on and the humidity most of the summer. Thankfully we got good weather for this race.

I left my house around 5:20 am to head to NH. It was 47’ out when I left. No humidity. This was a good sign. I had been to this race before so finding everything was no problem. I signed up for it in 2016 but was recovering from surgery so I went as a spectator to cheer on my friend Matt.

The race is well organized. A lot of it is run along the ocean on Hampton Beach. There is maybe 3 miles that go into a residential neighborhood where you can’t see the ocean but the rest of along the water.

I started out in the 10:00/mile corral as I didn’t want to go out too fast and burn myself out. Looking at my splits I clearly didn’t stay with those people long. Miles 2-5 I was in the 8:30/mm range. I felt like I was going slow but heard my updates from RunKeeper and started doing math. I realized I may be able to get under 2:00 if I just stay steady. I guess all the hills I train on was helping because this flat course felt “easy”.

By mile 9 we hit a few small hills in the residential neighborhood and by mile 11 I started to fade. I was sore. I kept plugging along the best I could be realized 2:00 wasn’t happening today. I finished in 2:03:58. The good news is, this is my new 1/2 PR. The race I mentioned above was my previous 1/2 PR of 2:06:03. This means I am close to getting back to pre-injury conditioning. I say that because that course was VERY hilly and this was was flat. I also did reach my goal for the month of having over 100 Miles as I work toward building my mileage again during my new found motivation. I was on pace for 130 but dialed it back when I was in pain during runs and finished at 100.9.

Overall this is a great race. I would tell anyone in this part of the country it is worth trying for sure. I am a little disappointed in myself for not finding my motivation a couple of months sooner so I could have trained more and given this a better effort. But, for the training I did do, I am pleased with my results. It just means that I have room to improve and I am planning to do it next year and definitely get under the 2:00 for sure. Now that I am familiar with the course, if I put in the work, I should easily be able to get in the 1:40’s.

This is great Scott, really proud of you! It has been a long time coming and this is certainly a big step in the right direction!

September Mileage
Total miles - 152.63 miles
Total Time - 21:15:48
Average Pace - 8:24/mile

Highest mileage since last October, trying to make up for a crap year of training. Probably not enough to have a good race in Chicago but at least I'm not dreading the race anymore. Lots of miles in here with my wife and son, running with them has been a great way for me to get out and just enjoy running again.

I ran 23.8 miles in September. On the surface, that seems pretty low....but the real story is that this month marked 6 months since being diagnosed with Lyme disease. And finally, in the last week, I feel like I am getting back to “normal.”

It’s been a rough 6 months - physically and mentally (the diagnosis and physical symptoms sent me into a downward spiral of health anxiety). But I’m climbing out.

Yesterday, I did 6.2 miles. Longest run since May 6th. So, the WDW 10k is looking a lot more likely now!

Yeah, if Tua stays healthy I just don't see this Alabama team losing. But these seasons are long, and the ball bounces in weird and unpredictable ways.

Not joking at all here, I think Bama could beat a NFL team this year. I did enjoy the thumping yall put on ULL this weekend, even though they found a moral victory in covering and scoring two TD's lol. With each passing week I am liking LSU's chances, but the next 4 games are going to be brutal with games at Florida, UGA, MS State, and Bama. "IF" we are undefeated by November that will mean two game days at campus, CBS games that last FOREVER and that game on 11/3 probably be a #1 v/s #2 7PM game. It will be nuts if all that happens. Probably still lose, but would be a great environment.

QOTD: Since we finally made it to October, it feels a little more like fall, even if the temps do not agree yet. What is your favorite fall race to run or try to run each year?

ATTQOTD: My favorite fall race is in early December called the Baton Rouge Beach Half Marathon. It's at a perfect time in race prep in which allows me to race it and get a good idea of what I should aim for in the marathon.

ATTQOTD: There's a race in St. Charles MO I've run twice and I love it. Temps are usually perfect and it's a great fast and flat course. The Mo Cowbell. I've only run the half both times but they also have a full marathon.

I done screwed up y'all. September was a certified DISASTER. 28.44 miles! That's what I should have run in a week!

We decided we are in no shape to run the Marine Corps Marathon, so we are skipping it and focusing on W&D and Marathon Weekend instead. It sucks, but it's the right move. I could never get past 10-11 miles this summer, and my wife has been battling constant injuries. I blame the lack of September mileage on depression

ATTQOTD: Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville. I've done it 5 of the last 6 years. Flat course, good weather, great hotel/start/finish logistics.

Skipping this year. They've added a half. May put that on the calendar for next year.

August: 93.84 miles (late post since I was traveling)
September: 56.53 (22.4 of which was the DLP 36k Challenge)
YTD: 680.13 miles

Fall goals: get healthy and train for my first marathon in January. With 14 weeks to go panic is starting to set in.

ATTQOTD: Have not found a fall repeat race yet. Tried one last year, have 4 on the schedule for this year, but so far no repeats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter