The Running Thread - 2018

Multiple topics in 1 post:

A couple of days ago, I saw that both Dopey and Goofy are still available. That led me to check price/availability of Disney resorts. It's all still do-able.

BUT

As I was mentally rehearsing my sales pitch to my DW, I honestly couldn't even convince myself I really wanted to do it. I don't mean this to sound like I'm dissing Marathon Weekend, but currently Marathon Weekend Burnout (6 out of the last 8 years) > Marathon Weekend FOMO.

I don't know if I'll ever get tired of Marathon Weekend. I've run it 4 times since 2013, and I'm still bummed I'm (probably) not going in 2019. I'd gladly return, but I'm already planning on going with the family and some of my running club in 2020, and I've already planned on several other marathon trips in 2019. Definitely Boston, and hopefully Berlin and Chicago. Plus, we're flying the family to Costa Rica this summer to visit my brother and his wife, so my travel budget is stretched to the max. Otherwise, I'd be going back to WDW in January to run Goofy or Dopey. It's a chance to run a bunch of races in a row - what's not to love?!? :D

I can't do Marathon Weekend this coming year because we're actually flying back the day of the 5k. I suspect it's off the list for the next couple years just because it would be rather cruel to ship my daughter off to college and then fly to Orlando to run without her.

So I'll just have to do Star Wars and Wine and Dine, I think.

I can't do Marathon Weekend this coming year because we're actually flying back the day of the 5k. I suspect it's off the list for the next couple years just because it would be rather cruel to ship my daughter off to college and then fly to Orlando to run without her.

Nah - that's part of the children leaving the nest. You can have fun on your own too now!

Nah I would still do it. My mom bought and moved to a new house without even telling me that she was considering it when I went to college lol. She's going to college, not prison. She will be having her own fun.

Welp, Boston just became harder to get into......

https://www.baa.org/2019-boston-marathon-qualifier-acceptances

To get in this year, you had to run 4 min 52 secs below your qualifying time, so they are adjusting all ages by 5 minutes.

So the 5 minutes I am about to gain for turning 35 are going away before I officially had them :(

What are these great Disney hotel prices that many of you are referencing?
I looked at RunDisney a few days ago and was astonished to see I could still sign up for the Marathon, Goofy, and Dopey.

Help!!!!...RunDisney is my kryptonite.

The Disney Visa Card Holder offer is a really good one if you have the CC.

I will buy you drinks at Hurricane Hannah’s on Friday.

Just give me a number. Let’s make this happen.

I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've read about you offering drinks to someone to come run marathon weekend lol. That tab is going to get expensive! Since your buying drinks for the thread, I would like a dole whip with rum in AK. Random question, whats the latest on the #pandaface project?

Stealing the Brooks marketing slogan, here's a goal - "Run Happy!"

The great thing about this sport is that we get to set our own goals (or lack thereof). The ultimate goal we all share is better physical and mental well-being, but how get there is unique to each runner.

It's a good point. Why can't it be a goal to just enjoy running with no race plans or time goals. That can be fun too for sure.

What are these great Disney hotel prices that many of you are referencing?
I looked at RunDisney a few days ago and was astonished to see I could still sign up for the Marathon, Goofy, and Dopey.

Help!!!!...RunDisney is my kryptonite.

I was shocked they are still all available too. Even the 1/2 was open when I looked last weekend and that usually sell out the first day.

Multiple topics in 1 post:

A couple of days ago, I saw that both Dopey and Goofy are still available. That led me to check price/availability of Disney resorts. It's all still do-able.

BUT

As I was mentally rehearsing my sales pitch to my DW, I honestly couldn't even convince myself I really wanted to do it. I don't mean this to sound like I'm dissing Marathon Weekend, but currently Marathon Weekend Burnout (6 out of the last 8 years) > Marathon Weekend FOMO.

What I wish I could do is helicopter down and parachute in for the Hurricane Hanna's meetup!

Added to the goal list! Funny you should mention that. I just happen to have my latest pair of Ghosts out of the closet, and I saw this in the box top. Not sure if it's always been there, or something new they added.

View attachment 354669

Lastly, not a trip report, not a race report, but a Road Kill Report!

I've been running the same roads for 20+ years here in North Georgia. I've done about 6000 miles since I started tracking them (only 3.5 years). Easily double and possibly 3 or 4 times that.

Today for the first time, I saw an armadillo. I know they are not unusual in other parts of the country, but it used to be considered too cold here for them. Not anymore, now that summer goes to October, if not November.

I think a lot of people are getting burnt out and that's why the races are still open. Having said that, I wish I could go back this year. I through around the idea of just going down for the 1/2 as that is all that fits in my schedule but I decided to save the money.

I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've read about you offering drinks to someone to come run marathon weekend lol. That tab is going to get expensive! Since your buying drinks for the thread, I would like a dole whip with rum in AK.

The past two years, I've run a tab at HH's for the Friday meet-up ... but I'm smart enough to tell the bartenders to let me know when its getting outrageous so I can cut it off.

But sorry - free drink offer only redeemable on Friday at HH at 3 p.m.

This summer has been a challenge for me but I finally pulled myself out of my slump.

Sept miles: 12 runs 30.31 miles missed 3 runs because of TS Gordon

I have to add it’s pretty sad when you’re excited it’s only 74 degrees and 97% humidity at daybreak of long run day.....

Nah - that's part of the children leaving the nest. You can have fun on your own too now!

Nah I would still do it. My mom bought and moved to a new house without even telling me that she was considering it when I went to college lol. She's going to college, not prison. She will be having her own fun.

I'm going to be doing runDisney stuff without her. I just don't feel the need to rub her nose in it quite that much.

I did the Dark Side Half without her because she had class the next day, and am doing the Rival Run Half without her because she's off at college. (And...feelers are out for doing the 2019 Wine and Dine...)

I also expect her to do things without me. She should be doing an internship in Germany the year after next, and she's eyeing the Disneyland Paris race...

8 days out from my first marathon and the obsessive weather checking has begun. Temperatures are looking favorable right now but today the chance of showers popped up too. I’m trying not to freak out or get nervous yet because it’s still far in advance when forecasting rain, but a solid week of rain chances everyday is not what I want to see a week leading up to a big race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter