The Running Thread - 2018

Easy now :boat:....that's your retirement goal that you're acing!! :faint:

It seems to me you were coming up with very short-term goals and crushing them, OldNotSoSlowGoofyGuy.

You guys are right; I want a do-over on my answer.

I feel that a lot of times people are too negative about themselves, but then I go and do the same thing.

ATTQOTD Do-over:
Fall goals:
1. Continue to enjoy retirement and un-do 35 years of stress.
2. Build/maintain a good fitness base, setting up for 2019 goals (TBD)
3. Enjoy the freedom of NOT having an A race on the calendar.
4. Travel more since I'm not tied to a marathon training cycle.
5. Continue with at least 1 yoga class and 2 swimming sessions a week.

ATTQOTD:
You guys are all making me feel like a slacker. I'm drifting along rudderless and goal-less. Even after thinking about it for a day, I can't come up with any real goals. No races on the calendar, no PR attempts coming up.

Stealing the Brooks marketing slogan, here's a goal - "Run Happy!"

The great thing about this sport is that we get to set our own goals (or lack thereof). The ultimate goal we all share is better physical and mental well-being, but how we get there is unique to each runner.

Last edited:
QOTD: So we had a summer goals topic and now almost a week into fall I wanted to ask the same question. What are your running goals for the fall?

ATTQOTD: I can answer this one!! My fall goals are to try and PR one of the marathons and half marathons that I am signed up for. ( I have two shots at each distance)
Goal # 2 is to hit my yearly distance goal of 1200 miles
Goal # 3 Stay healthy (injury free, rest, and drink more water)
Goal # 4 Don't hibernate. I typically shut down after October and don't run until end of January. My body likes the rest but hard to regain fitness like that.
Goal #5 Enjoy the experience. I am lucky to be able to get out and run and need to remember to enjoy the experience more.

Good luck everyone with your Fall Goals.

ATTQOTD: Fall goals
1) Continue hitting as many of my runs that I can
2) Finish the W&D half strong and not let the 20 million other things that are happening that weekend from getting into my head (might need a Xanax but it's all good right?)
3) Be as healthy and as injury free as possible so I can go into Dopey ready and strong

My fall goals:
  1. Set a new half PR on October 6th.
  2. Start lifting weights again. I miss my muscles. I hired a personal trainer 3x a week for 12 weeks starting in October.
  3. Attend yoga, Piyo or BodyFlow once a week.
  4. Carb cycle for 12 weeks to drop some body fat. This means being tied to MyFitnessPal which I’m not looking forward to. I also have a sugar addiction and get really cranky the first couple weeks of carb cycling.
  5. Run W&D half, just have fun and not worry about time.
  6. Dopey training
  7. Stay healthy!!!
I need to be very diligent in not slacking off on strength training. I slacked off on leg day for a while and then tried to run faster than my body was actually ready to and wound up with knee issues. Then I focused on leg day, but neglected my upper body and wound up paying the price because I had neglected my upper back on a race day. I cannot slack off in either area with marathon weekend on the horizon.

ATTQOTD:
You guys are all making me feel like a slacker. I'm drifting along rudderless and goal-less. Even after thinking about it for a day, I can't come up with any real goals. No races on the calendar, no PR attempts coming up.
It's not too late to join us for marathon weekend. pirate:

You guys are right; I want a do-over on my answer.

I feel that a lot of times people are too negative about themselves, but then I go and do the same thing.

ATTQOTD Do-over:
Fall goals:
1. Continue to enjoy retirement and un-do 35 years of stress.
2. Build/maintain a good fitness base, setting up for 2019 goals (TBD)
3. Enjoy the freedom of NOT having an A race on the calendar.
4. Travel more since I'm not tied to a marathon training cycle.
5. Continue with at least 1 yoga class and 2 swimming sessions a week.
You forgot marathon weekend in your new goals. :car: But I'm also saying this very much tongue in cheek if marathon weekend doesn't work.

The great thing about this sport is that we get to set our own goals (or lack thereof). The ultimate goal we all share is better physical and mental well-being, but how get there is unique to each runner.
Very true. I've accomplished things in running that I once thought impossible heading into my very first race. And I'm still a very slow runner.

Help!!!!...RunDisney is my kryptonite.
Mine too. A year ago right now I was seriously contemplating "retiring" from running if the Star Wars Light Side races were cancelled. I honestly felt like I had accomplished above and beyond what I set out to do. I was content if I hung up my running shoes. Well, the Light Side races were cancelled. And I've since run 1 5K, 1 10K, 3 Half Marathons, 1 virtual Half Marathon, 3 virtual 5Ks, a 60 mile over a certain number of days virtual challenge, and registered for Dopey, which includes my first marathon. And all but two of those events were through runDisney.

What are these great Disney hotel prices that many of you are referencing?
I looked at RunDisney a few days ago and was astonished to see I could still sign up for the Marathon, Goofy, and Dopey.

And you have until 10/16 to buy tickets at the old price before they may increase! It's really saving you money by deciding to make a trip now. #disneymath

Just got drafted to run on my kid's school parent team for a local 5k:

Nov 17 - AntimonyER - Statesboro Turkey Trot 5k (0:24:00 / N/A)

Statesboro??? I'm originally from Glennville, have degrees from GSU, and taught my first two years at Portal High School. I was there when Erk Russell was recruited and had season tickets to Eagle games through all 6 National Championships and more (until they "moved up" to Sunbelt).

Statesboro??? I'm originally from Glennville, have degrees from GSU, and taught my first two years at Portal High School. I was there when Erk Russell was recruited and had season tickets to Eagle games through all 6 National Championships and more (until they "moved up" to Sunbelt).
Haha, I'm wearing a GS shirt right now! We love going to the games (so bummed we have to miss this week due to a wedding tomorrow night), they are looking pretty good this year tho. My wife is Statesboro born and raised but I grew up in Disney's backyard.

Haha, I'm wearing a GS shirt right now! We love going to the games (so bummed we have to miss this week due to a wedding tomorrow night), they are looking pretty good this year tho. My wife is Statesboro born and raised but I grew up in Disney's backyard.
The "Field of Dreams" in Paulson Stadium is sponsored by Rotary Corp., whose owners are great friends of my family, and both my brothers work there. I am glad the Eagles are doing well so far this season. The Clemson loss was expected, but we won that one financially and probably won the "most fun tailgate" too! I still think "Freedom's Flight" is the most exciting moment in football. Hi to your wife; we grew up really close to each other! Would love to meet you guys sometime!

Multiple topics in 1 post:
You forgot marathon weekend in your new goals. :car: But I'm also saying this very much tongue in cheek if marathon weekend doesn't work.

A couple of days ago, I saw that both Dopey and Goofy are still available. That led me to check price/availability of Disney resorts. It's all still do-able.

BUT

As I was mentally rehearsing my sales pitch to my DW, I honestly couldn't even convince myself I really wanted to do it. I don't mean this to sound like I'm dissing Marathon Weekend, but currently Marathon Weekend Burnout (6 out of the last 8 years) > Marathon Weekend FOMO.

What I wish I could do is helicopter down and parachute in for the Hurricane Hanna's meetup!

Added to the goal list! Funny you should mention that. I just happen to have my latest pair of Ghosts out of the closet, and I saw this in the box top. Not sure if it's always been there, or something new they added.

upload_2018-9-28_16-18-57.png

Lastly, not a trip report, not a race report, but a Road Kill Report!

I've been running the same roads for 20+ years here in North Georgia. I've done about 6000 miles since I started tracking them (only 3.5 years). Easily double and possibly 3 or 4 times that.

Today for the first time, I saw an armadillo. I know they are not unusual in other parts of the country, but it used to be considered too cold here for them. Not anymore, now that summer goes to October, if not November.

Lastly, not a trip report, not a race report, but a Road Kill Report!

I've been running the same roads for 20+ years here in North Georgia. I've done about 6000 miles since I started tracking them (only 3.5 years). Easily double and possibly 3 or 4 times that.

Today for the first time, I saw an armadillo. I know they are not unusual in other parts of the country, but it used to be considered too cold here for them. Not anymore, now that summer goes to October, if not November.

We are getting opossums round these here parts. First time I've seen them in this quantity. While squirrels and rabbits flee in terror when I run past, the opossums just stare at me with their reflective beady little eyes while snooping around garbage cans. I don't like them.
Maybe I should stop running on trash day??

What are these great Disney hotel prices that many of you are referencing?
I looked at RunDisney a few days ago and was astonished to see I could still sign up for the Marathon, Goofy, and Dopey.

The winter discounts are out. "Gift of Magic" under special offers.

As I was mentally rehearsing my sales pitch to my DW, I honestly couldn't even convince myself I really wanted to do it. I don't mean this to sound like I'm dissing Marathon Weekend, but currently Marathon Weekend Burnout (6 out of the last 8 years) > Marathon Weekend FOMO.
Makes perfect sense to me. After 4 consecutive runDisney multi race challenge events, I loved it when I had a race weekend that was only one race. If you really want to do it, you'll know. And if the break is what's needed, enjoy your break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter