The Running Thread - 2018

I am looking at Vegas and the half is $155. I KNOW, they have to close down the strip. But still.
I payed 60CND (about 45USD) taxes and processing fee included for the RnR Montreal Half. That is pretty much as cheap as they get but I booked far in advance.

Proud dad time! So for several years I have run four 5K’s with my younger daughter each year; one for each season. Well today she had to run alone, but I got to go and cheer her on for our “fall” race. She is in 6th grade this year and joined the cross country club the school has to prep kids for junior high cross country. She has been running hard and I had a feeling she would do pretty good. So in short she ran a PR by more than a minute to push her time down to 26:30! She is only 11. Before my injury I was running around a 24 minute 5K, I suspect when I am able to run again my days of being faster may be rapidly over! I was so proud her effort though, she left it all on the course! I wish I could have run with her. But maybe by our “winter” race I will be able to run.

Great participation so far!! For those of you who have not submitted your answers yet (you know who you are!!), I will leave the Google Form open until Monday September 17 Noon ET and begin revealing the results Monday evening.
FUN FRIDAY QOTD:

I thought it would be fun to mix it up a little and do a fun trivia game. I am stealing this idea from another (non Disney) message board and re-writing the questions to be Disney. I encourage everyone to take part in the fun. The more who play, the more the fun.

Welcome to RunDisney (Reverse) Sheep Trivia!! This is a game where you try to out-think other Disboards posters.

Here is how it works:

· There are two types of questions: Sheep questions (1-9) and Reverse Sheep questions (10-18).
· For Sheep questions (1-9), you want to answer what you think will be given most often by other people. For example, if the question is "Name a Walt Disney World mountain" a good answer might be Space Mountain and a bad answer would likely be Mount Mayday.
· For Reverse Sheep questions (10-18), you want to give the answer that you think will be given least often by other people. For example, if the question is "Name a Disney animated movie", a bad answer would probably be the Lion King. A good answer might be Home on the Range.
· In Sheep questions, you get one negative point for every person that gives the same answer as you, including yourself. For example, if you and six other people said Space Mountain, all seven of you would get -7 points. No points are given for a wrong answer.
· In Reverse Sheep questions, you get one positive point for every person that gives the same answer as you, including yourself. If you and ten other people said the Lion King, you would get 11 points.
· Incorrect answers in Reverse Sheep get the number of points for the answer with the most votes + 1, making it worse than giving the worst correct answer.
· The lowest total score wins. In the above two examples, your current score would be –7 + 11 = 4.
· No using Google, Wikipedia, etc. if you don't have to. (i.e. don't use them to cheat).
· Fill out the Google Form to submit your answers. Do not post your responses in this thread or tell anyone else. You can post that you completed the form.
· Answers are due by Monday. Results will be revealed over the following day(s).

Google Form Link:
https://goo.gl/forms/Dswf7vaDRaFuAXR03

Sheep Questions:

1) Name a Walt Disney World Opening Day attraction
2) Name a RunDisney race – past or present that does not run though the Magic Kingdom
3) Name a song from a Disney movie that won an academy award for best song
4) Name a Walt Disney World Signature restaurant
5) Name a body of water (lake/lagoon/etc) on Walt Disney World property
6) Name a Walt Disney World attraction where the ride vehicle is a boat on water.
7) Name a planet/moon/system from a Star Wars movie
8) Name a Walt Disney World snack
9) Bonus 2X Points Sheep Question
If you ran every possible runDisney race in 2017 at Walt Disney World (available to Adults), how many medals would you have earned?

Reverse Sheep

1) Name a Walt Disney World Rollercoaster
2) Name a hotel on Walt Disney World property not owned by Disney.
3) Name a past or present RunDisney multi race challenge
4) Name a Walt Disney World attraction in one of the 4 major theme parks with a minimum 40” height requirement.
5) Name a Walt Disney World counter service restaurant
6) Name a Walt Disney World attraction where the ride vehicle travelers backwards.
7) Name a character meal at Walt Disney World
8) Name a Walt Disney World monorail color
9) Name an EPCOT pavilion that opened on opening day in 1982

RunDisney (Reverse) Sheep Trivia Questions

Good Luck to Everyone!!

I was thinking of you all while running on Saturday.
While I am not at the level of disdain for college sports as some, I do not really find much value in them except (hockey and any excuse to see a marching band). However, I do live in a college town, so I experience them frequently. That said, I LOVE running on Saturday mornings when football games are in town and wanted to suggest that if you find yourself with an opportunity to run through college football tailgaiting, I recommend it- it is as close to a race as you can get and it is FREE. (1) medical and security coverage is higher than any race I have seen (2) There is music all along your course (3) All the porta johns you could wish for (4) if you pick your path correctly, someone will offer you a drink. I foolishly turned down a bloody mary at mile 2 thinking I had several miles to go and I would see what else would be offered. But I forgot my previous experience is that those in the cheap paid parking or season parking are generous while mid-range parking people are not. And no one that drunk at 7am -unless Ohio State fans are in town.

Been away from forum for a few days dealing with hurricanes and travel. Time to catch up to some QOTD:

QOTD (Wednesday) about Tri and Bike selections- I only ride a one speed cruising bike at the beach and don't recommend using that for a tri.

Bonus QOTD about making a tri with Running and 2 other events- how about Running, Ping Pong and Water skiing?

QOTD (Thursday) about picking just one state and race- Definitely California for the state, and would love to do Big Sur.

QOTD (Friday) Sheep Trivia Game- I tried it and got lost. Thanks for posting @huskies90.

Hey @Keels, thanks for sharing the story about your friend Kari and the Leadville 100. I've been to Leadville and can't imagine how hard that run would have been. Very inspiring.
What happens to the people that don't make the time limit?

I finished the Omaha Marathon yesterday. It was so hot, humid and sunny, seriously brutal in the direct sun a lot! I was off pace from the start, just so muggy and really fell off the 2nd half. I ate like 8 gus including the one at the start and refilled my 20 oz. water bottle 7 times on course for drinking and dumping on my head. A lot of speedy guys were flaking out and some were with medics due to the heat.

I took :30 walk breaks at like mile 15ish to regroup, hydrate more and reset. I feel that helped and felt better but then my left calf kept seizing up the last 4 miles so more :30 walk breaks. I've had a leg strain that held up okay luckily.

I finished in 4:07:02 so not my goal but I'll take it in the conditions. First half was 1:52, 2nd half 2:15. I guess I was 2nd in my age group, a friend picked up the extremely cheap frame with just print out with the place in it for me.

Now, I do NOT recommend to run this to anyone ever. It is put on by HITS, they are out of New York. They bought the "Omaha Marathon" sometime in the last like 8 years and it has gone down the hole. They don't even have results up yet :( No timing mats. The system they use is overhead reading which reads early too on your chip at the start. Some guy I guess was taking numbers at the turnaround to make sure full people all did it all?!?! I don't know, it's so lame.

The course is certified, but they don't set it up correct or something. Basically it's about a quarter long, the length running around the inside of the baseball track (The College World Series stadium). We go out exactly 13.1 and return to the start, but still have to go around the field. Some ladies around me were asking about being off on our Garmins and we were all the same off all of a sudden compared to their markers. And it stayed that much off the rest of the way. There is no weaving or anything like at a crowded race or Disney to add that much. Lots of straightaways you can't even add on to either. The course is okay, but the back half of the full is awful. Some hills, but nothing awful.

They didn't even put their sponsors or themselves on the very lame long sleeve tech shirt.

NO warnings about the Heat. Medics were out and I did see them often at least.

They say they'll have Hammer gels, they were not at any stops. They use Heed which many people dislike. I brought my bottle and own gels knowing from the past I hate Heed.

After food sucked. They did have chocolate milk luckily. But I didn't even see bananas, not that I eat them, but really no bananas.

I think I'm done with them, I had ran the half 4 years ago with them and was disappointed, but thought I'll give them another chance and it's close, but this was by far worse. They only want to make money and for what we are charged we get barely anything. They are offer many distances and lots do the half but the full was pitiful for runners. Their numbers just keep dropping as people are disgusted with them.

So, local clubs have 2 marathons though the "Heartland" next weekend and "Nebraska" a few weeks away that were started up recently basically in protest to HITS. Small crowds, but locally run and I've heard they respect the runners, so there's more options, but with 3 Fall marathons over 5 weeks in the same city, it spreads the volunteers and runners out.

This is long, but if you want 50 states, seriously don't do this one!

Last edited:
I finished the Omaha Marathon yesterday. It was so hot, humid and sunny, seriously brutal in the direct sun a lot! I was off pace from the start, just so muggy and really fell off the 2nd half. I ate like 8 gus including the one at the start and refilled my 20 oz. water bottle 7 times on course for drinking and dumping on my head. A lot of speedy guys were flaking out and some were with medics due to the heat.

I took :30 walk breaks at like mile 15ish to regroup, hydrate more and reset. I feel that helped and felt better but then my left calf kept seizing up the last 4 miles so more :30 walk breaks. I've had a leg strain that held up okay luckily.

I finished in 4:07:02 so not my goal but I'll take it in the conditions. First half was 1:52, 2nd half 2:15. I guess I was 2nd in my age group, a friend picked up the extremely cheap frame with just print out with the place in it for me.

Now, I do NOT recommend to run this to anyone ever. It is put on by HITS, they are out of New York. They bought the "Omaha Marathon" sometime in the last like 8 years and it has gone down the hole. They don't even have results up yet :( No timing mats. The system they use is overhead reading which reads early too on your chip at the start. Some guy I guess was taking numbers at the turnaround to make sure full people all did it all?!?! I don't know, it's so lame.

The course is certified, but they don't set it up correct or something. Basically it's about a quarter long, the length running around the inside of the baseball track (The College World Series stadium). We go out exactly 13.1 and return to the start, but still have to go around the field. Some ladies around me were asking about being off on our Garmins and we were all the same off all of a sudden compared to their markers. And it stayed that much off the rest of the way. There is no weaving or anything like at a crowded race or Disney to add that much. Lots of straightaways you can't even add on to either. The course is okay, but the back half of the full is awful. Some hills, but nothing awful.

They didn't even put their sponsors or themselves on the very lame long sleeve tech shirt.

NO warnings about the Heat. Medics were out and I did see them often at least.

They say they'll have Hammer gels, they were not at any stops. They use Heed which many people dislike. I brought my bottle and own gels knowing from the past I hate Heed.

After food sucked. They did have chocolate milk luckily. But I didn't even see bananas, not that I eat them, but really no bananas.

I think I'm done with them, I had ran the half 4 years ago with them and was disappointed, but thought I'll give them another chance and it's close, but this was by far worse. They only want to make money and for what we are charged we get barely anything. They are offer many distances and lots do the half but the full was pitiful for runners. Their numbers just keep dropping as people are disgusted with them.

So, local clubs have 2 marathons though the "Heartland" next weekend and "Nebraska" a few weeks away that were started up recently basically in protest to HITS. Small crowds, but locally run and I've heard they respect the runners, so there's more options, but with 3 Fall marathons over 5 weeks in the same city, it spreads the volunteers and runners out.

I could use a like and dislike button on this one. Way to make it through what sounds like an unpleasant experience. Boo for it not being fun. I hope you find a close by fall race you love next year.

I finished the Omaha Marathon yesterday. It was so hot, humid and sunny, seriously brutal in the direct sun a lot!

Thanks for posting about your experience @cavepig. Sorry it was a rough weather day and the event has gone down hill.
I had hoped to go to Omaha and do this race but maybe I should do the one at the Nebraska State Fair instead? I think it's in August. Have you tried that one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter