The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Lifelong New Englander. Boston for sure. :)

ATTBQOTD: I drink coffee all day long. :) 20-24 oz in the morning, 16-20 oz at night before bed, sometimes afternoon coffee of 16 oz if it's chilly... or iced if it's hot. :) Making it at home, I buy beans from a local roaster. Sometimes we get it (especially in iced coffee season) from a local drive thru chain called Aroma Joe's, or of course the New England staple, Dunks. At home, I usually drink it with half and half only (and will order it black and take it home from Aroma Joe's and just put H+H in here). If I get it at Dunks, I'll order it with less cream and sugar than they normally put in... for a large it's usually 4 and 4, and I'll order it 2 and 2 or 3 and 3.

I'd run New York. I've tried to lottery in many times and never got in.
You guys! Shalane took a port-a-potty break! She's just like us! Also I freaking love Des Linden so hard.

Do you know this race time predictor?
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/marathon-calculator/
It predicted my last marathon pretty darn accurately. It said I'd be 4 minutes faster but I took a port-a-potty break (like an Olympian) and stopped to chat with DH for a minute or two so even more accurate!

ATTQOTD: Berlin, followed by London. I want to earn my way into Boston. And when I joined the Navy the only place I never wanted to visit was Japan, and it was one of the first stops on my first Deployment. LOL. I heard great things about Tokyo, but I'll pass. If I end up not hating the Marathon distance, I will probably do Chicago & New York one day anyway.

ATTBQOTD: I drink coffee all day. I like my coffee black (like my heart). I love me some barrel-aged coffee beans. I pay obscene amounts of money for coffee beans. I don't drink black coffee from Starbucks because they can't make regular coffee to save their lives. But I will get "foo-foo" drinks from Starbucks because I can't replicate them at my house. Even in the hot summer days in AZ, I want hot coffee over cold coffee. I feel like I get more of a caffeine boost from hot drinks. It's probably all in my head.

Current status: watching the Boston Marathon on my phone while at work. Accidentally out loud commenting. My coworkers probably think I am crazy. I am also wearing yellow and blue today. That rain sucks. Shalane's potty break made my day! Haha. Molly is super impressive for her second Marathon and in those conditions. Des waiting for Shalane was SO AMAZING. I am just in awe of everything.

Silicon Valley Half Recap:
This race was my “tune-up” race for the SF marathon in July. It’s my first HM in ages and so I was going at this like a newbie.

My goal was 1:45:00 and so I found the 1:45 pacer and started with him. My L foot, which had been bothering me for the past month was a slight issue, but truthfully didn’t give me any trouble. My R thigh issue of unknown origin gave a bit of trouble in miles 1-5 but slowly went away, which was great.

The weather was nearly perfect, around 52-56 degrees and sunny, and so keeping up the pacer during miles 1-7 was fine. Around mile 8, I started to feel a bit more tired and was getting worried, and I finally had to hit the brakes a bit in mile 9-10 and slowed to a 8:30-9/min pace at that point. It was discouraging but I tried to keep the pacer in sight the entire time.

I told myself I need to finish strong, so around mile 12.5, I started to pick up the pace and gave it a strong effort. My final time was 1:45:59, which wasn’t my goal time, but one that I was proud of at the end. Funny thing is I was just in front of a lady who was running the HM with a triplet stroller and she set the world record time for a 3 stroller HM. Simply amazing!

My L calf felt super sore during the last 2 miles and I’m still feeling the effects of it today. I’m gonna need to rest the next few days, but this race gave me a good intro to race preparation/strategy for my full marathon.

Y'all, I am in an all day meeting watching the Boston Marathon on my phone and I am not so sure I am gonna be able to control my tears if Des holds on! I have chills just typing this. The way she stayed to support Shalene and her strength in these conditions is just amazing. I need to stop typing now before I lose it, for real. :banana::rotfl:

I would pick London or Tokyo, which I don't know, but it would be the best use I think of free entry, airfare, hotel, etc. Tokyo maybe for the win cause then I could do Tokyo Disneyland too. I can dream of qualifying for Boston so wouldn't use it there, dreaming....

I drink coffee in the morning or I don't function & decaf coffee (it is real coffee sort of I guess) after dinner (no caffeine after like noon for me or I seriously won't sleep). I don't care for fancy coffee drinks, anytime I get one from Starbucks my stomach gets mad, so plain with just a dash of half&half.

Saving watching Boston as I had to run and need to get work done first. Spoiled but that's okay as I can't not hop on social media for a quick peak plus I have to track a friend. All I can say is that weather will make good stories for years....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter