The Running Thread - 2016

so happy knowing that you've tougher out the rehab Scott...2017 has big things waiting for you! It's nice to see that you are starting to realize the reach and impact you and your running has on others...friends, family etc. You aren't on a solo journey here, you have a team of people around you both here on the DIS and in real life.

As for Boston, like Bobby said there is the prestige of being the oldest but the other draw is the need to qualify and that it is age-graded, making it attainable whether you're 18 or 80. One interesting tidbit about Boston is that despite its standing as the world's greatest marathon, it is not eligible for the world record as it is a net downhill course. Kinda crazy as it is regarded as such a tough course.

Thanks Mike. I am shooting for a big year for sure but at this point I am just praying for an injury-free year. If I get that then I think the results will follow.

I knew about the course not being eligible for the world record but it doesn't seem to make sense because as you say, everyone seems to think it is a difficult course.

ATTQOTD:
December miles: 36 (plus 7 group fitness classes that were a lot of fun!)
2016: I didn't keep a running total. Something I will definitely amend in 2017
Disney miles: 13.1 for my first Disney race!

Unfortunately my 2017 rD prospects have changed. I was looking forward to running my first disney challenge in 2017 with Disneyland half and 10K. Well my running partner (SIL) is flaking out now because she doesn't want to train during the summer (she lives in Vegas). So my first disney challenge has been postponed to Tinkerbell 2018 :guilty: Hopefully I'll find some local races to keep me busy and motivated until then (and at least one or two Disney trips!). It sure seems like forever away!!

You could always still do it by yourself. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year everyone. I hope everyone's holidays went well.

Well, I am BACK! I went to the gym today. I did 30:00 in the elliptical to warm up and moved to the treadmill. The first two minutes were great, little pain. Minute three hit and it got ugly quick. But, I told myself I was doing at least a mile, no matter how long it took to do it so I stuck it out for the mile, plus a cool down. It is VERY sore now as I sit here. So, I clearly won't be running consecutive days anytime soon.

day1.jpg

I plan to try and do every other day but I am not putting any pressure on myself this first month at least. But, it felt great. It's so weird to me that I was running on that treadmill and I felt like a million dollars. I felt the stress leaving my body.

QOTD Spinoff - Whats you're 2016 mileage while at Disney (on or off grounds, DCL, Castaway Cay, etc)?
Disney Magic: 1 sad mile around deck 4.
Castaway Cay 5k: 3.01mi??
Princess Weekend: 3.34+ 6.48 + 14.21 = 24.03mi
Tinkerbell Weekend: 3.19 + 6.29 + 13.11 = 22.59mi
Total: 50.63mi

Edit: I did my run this weekend in 38:00 exactly. Slower than anticipated but I ate a lot more chocolate covered pretzels and crumb cake than anticipated.

ATTQOTD: 122.4 miles in December! I have no idea how to tell 2016 total, but probably not that much since I didn't run at all until mid-June. And no Disney miles--my first Disney race will be this marathon coming up here pretty soon.

Speaking of which, last night I dreamed I forgot to pick up my bib and ended up missing the race! Lol, guess I am a little nervous!

I know. I know. We had made a big deal out of doing the disneyland races together though, so I would feel bad about doing it before she can.

Seems to me there's a pretty big difference between "can't" and "doesn't want to train in the summer". Maybe give her the option of doing it with you at the DLH or let you go it alone and plan to go back together for Tink? It's a shame for you to defer the payoff and enjoyment of your hard work training because someone else doesn't want to put in the work themselves. You'll have a blast, even if you go solo!

Yeah definitely something to think about. There's a lot of moving parts when planning a Disney trip between my kids, husband, running the race, and then planning with SIL. I hope I can make it work though!

Has anyone run a marathon dealing with pain with their IT bands? I made it through all of last year (WDW Marathon, Dumbo Double Dare) with no pain and am training for the LA Marathon in March and I've had a little pain on my left leg and now also have pain in my right. I never even heard of an IT band, but I've apparently aggravated them. My daughters dance a lot so they have me on the foam roller and I've been able to run and even have a slightly better pace of up to 6 miles, but it takes longer to recover and I worry about overcompensating and hurting my knees. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Has anyone run a marathon dealing with pain with their IT bands? I made it through all of last year (WDW Marathon, Dumbo Double Dare) with no pain and am training for the LA Marathon in March and I've had a little pain on my left leg and now also have pain in my right. I never even heard of an IT band, but I've apparently aggravated them. My daughters dance a lot so they have me on the foam roller and I've been able to run and even have a slightly better pace of up to 6 miles, but it takes longer to recover and I worry about overcompensating and hurting my knees. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

I have not run with a bad IT band, but I have run a marathon rehabbing a torn hamstring and I'm getting ready to attempt Dopey with a late-breaking knee issue. I have found the use of run/walk intervals to be an effective option for staying in the race while managing the injury. I'd suggest trying some training runs with run/walk intervals to see if the strategy delays or prevents the onset of the IT band pain. Depending on the phase of recovery I was in I've used anything from 0:30/3:00 up to 5:00/0:30 intervals. Trial and error will help you find the ratio, if any, that works for you. Good luck!

QOTD: What is your monthly mileage for December and for 2016?

I'm late, but I'm going to sneak this in here since it doesn't belong in the 2017 thread.

December - 33.3
2016 - 774.8
2015 - 429.8

The end of the year fell apart on me - a day where I suddenly ended up in the bathroom 6 times in 20 minutes (thankfully before I left for my run), an exceptionally heavy snow day that just made it unsafe to run the roads near me and we have no sidewalks, and the cough from hell that took up residence just before Christmas and is just now letting go. I was hoping to hit 800 miles, but I couldn't even manage to squeak in .2 to get up to 775.

Compared to 2015 it was a huge increase in mileage and I'm pleased with my progress for the year. I ran 5 additional half marathons in the 12 months following my first and dropped almost 6 minutes off my time with one 10 week training program from @DopeyBadger. I'd say I'm hooked on running now.

Time to move on to the 2017 thread and make some new plans and goals!

2017 is not starting out like I wanted. Yesterday I found out I need to take a break from running until we get a hold on my sciatica (MRI confirmed it's not my back but now going through needling) so no Louisiana Marathon but gives me time to focus on my goals later in the year and will make Disney Marathon in 2018 so much more enjoyable.

Good luck everyone racing this weekend and May the Force be With You.

bc8e34a4141ec115995928cef00275b4.jpg

I'm back! I'm so far behind, I'm not going to try and read all the pages I missed. I kept up my mileage with walking on vacation and I'm hoping to get back to running next week, now that I'm home. 2016 was a rough year for this runner. I'm hoping 2017 is much better!

I just did my first runDisney 5k this week and loved it. I wanted to do a Disney run with my mom and the Wine & Dine weekend will work for us with registration next week. I never did a 10k, but want to try it and the date of the 10k give us more flexibility with our arriving date. We'll see how motivated i am to run until then LOL but if everything goes wrong is the 10k walk/run manageable? I usually do a mile in about 12/13 minutes for a 5k. I'm just scared ill register and it will bite me in the butt but I think I can do it!

@LSUlakes have you considered changing the title to include 2016 to ensure that people realise that the action has moved over to the 2017 thread? I don't think there is any need locking the thread, but a little hint in the title might be useful?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter