The price of airfair is crazy!!!

We are also trying to find "reasonable" airfare for four of us out of Chicago on 3/20 returning 3/27 or 3/28. Unfortunately, due to work and high school schedules we are limited to the days we can fly. I think I have come to terms with the fact we won't ever see airfares under $200 rt anymore, but $350 to $650 is just more than we can handle. What I am trying to figure out is if some of these flights only have say 10-15 seats sold and 75% of the seats open, do they come down with their airfares closer to travel dates? If they do come down, at what time frame--say a few weeks before or a month before?

We're traveling the same days as you but from a different city and got a good price from Airtran so I took a look for you and it seems that they are booking for as little as $81 on the trip back to Chicago and $169 on the way to Orlando. That's $250 pp without taxes so not too bad. Good luck! :goodvibes

I'm a habitual Kayak cruiser. Airfare from MSP to MCO is rarely as cheap as those on the east coast seem to get, but I somehow got RT air form MSP to MCO on American for $124 pp. I was really only toying with the idea of a trip for spring break, but for that price I HAD to book!

Gotta say, I like the looks of $210 per person round trip. That's about what I had last month, and although I saw a few flights that went slightly lower, most were substantially higher.

Right. THis is what I meant. It is myth that waiting longer to book means getting lower prices. On Jetblue that isn't the case UNLESS you are lucky to find a sale for your dates and I NEVER EVER do. So knowing this i book the day they release.
Yeah. I was in Las Vegas for vacation; one of my brothers lives there, and another one diverted there on his way to LA while I was already visiting. He told me that for nine hours the previous Friday (ie while I did not have either computer access or local-to-home news access) JetBlue announced they were the official airline of the Boston Red Sox and had an AMAZING fare sale.

I always miss out on those, too.

Hi all,

I just purchased 4 tickets flying Newark to Orlando arriving Saturday 5/16/09 and departing Saturday 5/23/09. Out flight departs at 8:20am going down, and 1:55pm coming home. Our Continental Airlines fare was $228.00 pp with a total with taxes for the four of us at $996.00.

I could not take the pressure of the price fluctuations. I saw want I need at flight times that worked for us and just went for it! I do not know if I could have gotten a cheaper fare by waiting, but we are in our fifties, and taking our 7 and 5 year old grandchildren, and I wanted to make sure we all sit together.

I think the fare I paid could be worse. Do you think I made a mistake? :confused3

Pat

Pat,

I think your airfare is very reasonable for each, it comes out to $249 pp with taxes included. Especially for traveling a Sat. to Sat. What frustrated me is the airfare amounts of $350 to $650 pp when we need to travel, 3/20 thru 3/27. For a family of four, it was just too much for us when you added it to everything else. So, needless to say, we are sitting out our first spring break to WDW in many years. Makes us sad.........

You got a great rate, don't second guess yourself. And, you will have a marvelous time with those grandkids!

Hi all,

I just purchased 4 tickets flying Newark to Orlando arriving Saturday 5/16/09 and departing Saturday 5/23/09. Out flight departs at 8:20am going down, and 1:55pm coming home. Our Continental Airlines fare was $228.00 pp with a total with taxes for the four of us at $996.00.

I could not take the pressure of the price fluctuations. I saw want I need at flight times that worked for us and just went for it! I do not know if I could have gotten a cheaper fare by waiting, but we are in our fifties, and taking our 7 and 5 year old grandchildren, and I wanted to make sure we all sit together.

I think the fare I paid could be worse. Do you think I made a mistake? :confused3

Pat

That's better than I did for June from Newark . I took the info about Jet Blue not lowering prices except for a sale and got tix for $598 after tax,etc. for DD and me.We leave at 7:30 AM and come back at 7:30 PM. Continental had limited flights for the times I wanted and they were going up and were around $400 before tax and fees. I didn't want to chance it either and since I heard good things about Jet Blue I went for it. School will be out when I go so I didn't think I'd do that well. Have a great time!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter