The Official New Mom Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can probably wait a bit on buying the stroller. The reason I wanted to get it now is that we're going to WDW in March and we don't really have a stroller to take with us. Well, I could bring my Graco Coachrider, but as much as I love it, the thought of lifting it on/off buses by myself with a 2yo doesn't sound appealing. I'll be by myself for 3 days of the trip essentially (my husband is coming for the weekend and we're going cause my mom has a convention at the CR, so she'll be there too but she'll be in meetings all day, so aside from Saturday and Sunday I'll be on my own with the kid and stroller). So I thought it would be nice to get it before the trip, though I will admit that I'm sorta nervous about taking a brand new stroller on a flight after what happened to our Maclaren.

I read all the posts but don't have time to reply to everything right now or I won't be able to eat my lunch! I'll pop back in after school.

Lissawynn - First of all, I've never bought a seat for one of my children for a short flight when they were under two. The only exception was the 6 hour flight to California. They don't want to sit in their seats anyway, so what's the point. You can bring Jimmy right up to the plane in his stoller. The crew will have you fold it up right there and they will put it in the plane for you. They always have the strollers ready and waiting when you get off the plane. I've never had any problem and have always appreciated having the use of my stoller until the moment I had to get on the plane.

A clique? Us???? :lmao: :rotfl2: I must say in our defense that we are all very friendly and supportive. I don't know of a single person on this thread that would purposely ignore someone or make them feel left out.

I'll be back later...................

Okay, so I just typed this big long reply and this big stupid computer erased the whole thing. :badpc: I wish I were using my own at home. Anyway----

Alice28--I wish it were me finishing our basement. We probably will if we don't relocate by the fall. We are busting at the seams right now, and it will be cheaper for us to put a bedroom and family room downstairs than buying a bigger house.

Justhat--I wish I had some advice for you. We've never been in your situation. When DH and I were first married I was still in pharmacy school and he was working to pay all the bills. I was so nervous about spending any money that I didn't buy anything. Then I went a little hogwild after I got my first paycheck! :teeth: Hope your situation resolves itself!

Lissawyn--I second and third that you can roll your stroller right up to the door and it will be waiting for you when you get off the plane. On our way back from disney one of our flights was delayed, so we were in a rush to make our connecting flight. The pilot, bless his heart, ran down to where they store the strollers and got ours off for us so we could make our flight. And as for a fear of flying--I'm so stressed out with travelling with 2 kids that I totally forget about the fear thing. Once DD is wrestled into her seat and DS is being fed I realize-Hey, we're flying!

Just a quick question--for those moms breastfeeding, any advice on how to get my DS to use a bottle. I think I've tried all the tricks I know and nothing is working. He screams like he's being poisoned. I've tried both breastmilk and formula in the bottles. I've tried at least 4 different bottle types, Avent, Playtex ventaire natural latch, gerber, evenflo comfi. I've tried having DH or my mom feed him--no luck. I've tried feeding him in a bouncy seat or his infant seat. I'm at a loss of what to try next. I'd like to be able to go out to dinner and a movie with DH but right now I can only be away from DS for 3 hrs. before he wants to feed again! Any advice would be appreciated!

To all the other mommies I forgot! A big hello!!! :wave2: Have a great day!

Stephanie

Question for some of you more expirenced moms...;)

Have any of you bought one of the convertible car seats? I'm looking at the Cosco Alpha Sport 3-in-1 or Alpha Elite 3-in-1. We're still using Kate's smaller normal rear facing car seat until she outgrows it...probably in June. But I was trying to get a jump on getting one for forward facing and a booster in one. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Also... My family and I are walking for March of Dimes WalkAmerica for prematurity. If any of you would like to help us out and donate, Please send me a message and I'll get you the email address for my webpage on the March of Dimes site. It goes to a great cause!!
Thanks!!!
:)

justhat said:
We can probably wait a bit on buying the stroller. The reason I wanted to get it now is that we're going to WDW in March and we don't really have a stroller to take with us. Well, I could bring my Graco Coachrider, but as much as I love it, the thought of lifting it on/off buses by myself with a 2yo doesn't sound appealing. I'll be by myself for 3 days of the trip essentially (my husband is coming for the weekend and we're going cause my mom has a convention at the CR, so she'll be there too but she'll be in meetings all day, so aside from Saturday and Sunday I'll be on my own with the kid and stroller). So I thought it would be nice to get it before the trip, though I will admit that I'm sorta nervous about taking a brand new stroller on a flight after what happened to our Maclaren.

I am with you on this one, I think I would feel the same way. I would love to have that stroller at WDW (remember I want one too.)

Something to consider is waiting to get a new stroller for the new baby might be a good idea. My DD had a very hard time giving up her old stroller for the baby (and she was older then Madison) so if it is a new stroller for the baby and a bar in the back for her to stand on, that might be a good thing. If she accepts it as her new stroller and then has to give it up for baby that is hard.

We ended up with a peg pergo aira twin for a double (since whenever the baby was in a stroller Anna wanted to ride too.) and we really like it. However it is nice to have a single also. The biggest problem is it is very nice to have a stroller that holds that car seat for the 1st six months or so. Does the P3 do that? (or would you have to buy a new car seat also?)

Hi karenTX, the only thing I have heard about cosco car seats is don't. Consumer reports (around the time we were buying them) did not recomend any cosco seat at all. We have an adjustble one, Graco I think. It is nice. Anna is still in it as a boster (uses seatbelt with it.) We are considering getting another one for Lily since Anna can still use it for a while and it is more comforable (and safe) then a backless boster for her.

Hello to the Mommies! :wave2: I just have a minute.

Karentx - We bought the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 for Aidan for my car. I ended up returning it. I personally hated it. I have a 2 door Accord and this seat didnt fit unless it went on the side instead of the middle and I wasn't going to do that. I ended up with an Evenflo Titan which I love. I too heard to stay away from the Costco models. Hope it helps.

KarenTX, we have a Britax Marathon for Madison, which is sorta like what you describe in that it goes up to 65 pounds, but it's really just a carseat not a booster. When she outgrows this seat, we might need a booster still, but I'm sure by that point we can just use a backless booster and those are pretty cheap so that's why we went with this carseat. I recently read something about a 3-in-1 booster seat, I think on these boards, maybe the family board, that it is outgrown once the kid's head reaches the top of the seat so that one wasn't such a value, but I can't remember at all what the name of it was. But the poster said to look for a 3-in-1 that can be used after the kid's head grows, like a regular booster can.

Lissawynn, we have always gotten Madison a seat, but it's for our own convenience more than safety and I honestly can't figure out why some people get so heated about it. I could care less what other people do. Well, except for our flight home from WDW on New Year's when someone brought an over 2 lap kid and they had to sit in our row. As it ended up, we switched our seats around so they could sit together so my mom had to sit with the parents and the kid, but they gave her Benedryl and she slept the whole flight so it wasn't bad. (We were 2 and 2 across the aisle, me and Madison and my mom and husband, so he moved to sit with me cause otherwise I was sitting with the mom and lap kid and that was a tight fit.) They were supernice people though and told us she turned 2 in November but grandma paid for their trip and couldn't afford the extra seat, so they gave her Benedryl so she'd sleep so they wouldn't be questioned. But anyway, yes, I find it great to have use of the stroller in the airport so I would definitely gate check it too. Plus I think it has a lower chance of being damaged (of course I say that while ours is in pieces).

DisneyPhD said:
I am with you on this one, I think I would feel the same way. I would love to have that stroller at WDW (remember I want one too.)

Something to consider is waiting to get a new stroller for the new baby might be a good idea. My DD had a very hard time giving up her old stroller for the baby (and she was older then Madison) so if it is a new stroller for the baby and a bar in the back for her to stand on, that might be a good thing. If she accepts it as her new stroller and then has to give it up for baby that is hard.

We ended up with a peg pergo aira twin for a double (since whenever the baby was in a stroller Anna wanted to ride too.) and we really like it. However it is nice to have a single also. The biggest problem is it is very nice to have a stroller that holds that car seat for the 1st six months or so. Does the P3 do that? (or would you have to buy a new car seat also?)

The P3 will hold an infant carseat-it comes with built-in clips for a Peg Perego carseat, but I think in the 2006 model (though maybe the 2005 too) it comes with an adapter for other carseats too. We have a Graco carseat so I'm assuming it will work, but I do plan to go to the store to try it out first.

I hadn't thought about Madison not wanting to share her stroller. She's not a big stroller fan now, and that was our big reason for not getting a double stroller. We walk almost everywhere and generally just use the stroller for when she's sleeping or to carry the diaper bag. Honestly, even in WDW we don't use it much, more for her naps and then to cart around our stuff. She hated the stroller as an infant and didn't use one at all till she was 6 months old, so we didn't even clip the carseat in ever. In fact, our infant carseat only left the car about 3 times cause Madison hated it and literally screamed from the moment she was placed in the carseat till we arrived at our destination. Same reaction to the stroller, but she'd actually sometimes sleep in that whereas she never slept in the carseat. So we held her in a Bjorn exclusively till 6 months or so, then would be able to get away with the stroller for short periods of time after that (1st time ever was in DL when she was 6 months old and she was okay with it since we took her out so much for rides).

I was sorta planning on this one doing the same thing, just so I don't get my hopes up that I'll have an easy baby! And since Madison can't wait to get out of the stroller now we figured she'd be the same way only worse as she gets older so that's why I never even thought about her not wanting to give it up. Of course, when someone else is using your stroller though, I'm sure it becomes much more appealing so you have a very good point. Hmm, so maybe we should wait a bit. But then we have to take that Graco to WDW. I would buy an umbrella, but the only point of a stroller for her is to nap and those don't recline so that seems like a waste. We're also going to the Dominican Republic in April and New Orleans in May so we'll need a stroller for those trips too. Guess we better decide soon since our WDW trip is in about 6 weeks!

Karen - We bought our son the Eddie Bauer convertable seat after he outgrew his carrier at about 4 months. It's supposed to hold a child up to 100 lbs. We just turned it forward-facing after his 1st birthday. I have the book at home, and it's supposed hold him until he hits that 100 lb. mark. That could be sooner than later with the way he's growing.

Thanks for the info. about flying. I hope no one wants to boil me in oil for not buying Jimmy a seat! ;)

lissawynn said:
Karen - We bought our son the Eddie Bauer convertable seat after he outgrew his carrier at about 4 months. It's supposed to hold a child up to 100 lbs. We just turned it forward-facing after his 1st birthday. I have the book at home, and it's supposed hold him until he hits that 100 lb. mark. That could be sooner than later with the way he's growing.

Thanks for the info. about flying. I hope no one wants to boil me in oil for not buying Jimmy a seat! ;)

Just so you know, I didn't weight 100 pounds until I was 24 years old. ;)

Weight sometimes is not the best predictor for car seats.

Ok Just that, I know I am not helpling at all. :guilty: :rotfl:

If you have all those trips coming up, need a stroller and that is the one you want. You might as well just go get it. I know if it was me I would buy a cheap one, and then end up getting the more expenseive one later anyway when I could. You might as well do it and get more money's worth out of it.

lissawynn, if they do you, they will have to me. We have flown 6 times I think with a child under 2 and no seat. We were thinking about it for the next trip only as justthat says, it is easier and more conveient. I can't story about the child over 2 and all they did to get a free seat. I understand it a bit. I think if it was up to me I would buy the seat, but DH never wants to . Guess who always ends up holding the baby? I told him this next trip if we didn't (she will be 20 months old) then he got to hold her the whole time. He said he was willing, but we both know who she will want. Actually at this point in time the May trip seems like a no go. We just need to save some money. I really want to since it will be the last year before Anna will be in school. We plan to pull her out, but more then one week a year is a bit much for me.

Alice28 - Good luck with your home improvements.

justhat - About the ipod: I'm like you and would rather spend money on the "needs" instead of the "wants". But I think in this situation I'd just let him have it if you could swing it. I know my DH likes to get a new toy every once in a while to keep his spirits up. And like someone else (I think it was DisneyPhD) said, it's not as if he'll be unemployed forever - he's working towards a major goal.

J&D - Sorry to hear about your toilet troubles. Also, your MIL seems awfully sarcastic. That would drive me crazy. Thanks for the recall notices. I was >thisclose< to buying that Pooh teething ring.

nucpharm - Glad your trip went smoothly.

KarenTX - We have a Britax Decathalon and a Graco Comfortsport. I like the Britax better than the Graco and I didn't have any of the installation problems I read about on other websites.

Hi to everyone else!!!

I got called into work today and luckily my mother was available to watch Lucas. I know she and my sister sometimes schedule things on days they know Lucas won't be there because it's easier to handle just the twins. We're in the middle of 2 huge projects and I'm the quality control person (not that you'd ever be able to tell from all the typos and grammar issues I've been having lately). Can you tell I'm working really hard?? :lmao: At least my paycheck will be bigger this week.

No oil boiling here; I did buy them seats for our cross-country trips, but not for just a 2 hour flight or so. We almost always fly Southwest and their flights are so cheap I consider it money well spent for not having to carry my kid for 5-6 hours.

Can't help with the carseat issue as right now I'm using my son's old seat; I kept looking at the Britax seats at Target, but since Josh's old seat still works and is clean, I haven't bought one yet.

I think I weighed 100 pounds in 5th grade. :lmao: I can't imagine still being a booster at that age, since I think I was already about 5 feet tall....it's funny how safety laws change. I'm all for keeping my kids safe as I can and following the laws, but it makes me laugh how with the passenger side airbags they don't recommend any kid under 12 and 100 pounds sitting there....I know plenty of ladies who are quite petite and wouldn't meet those qualifications! The Tribeca has a sensor built in the seat, and if it senses someone under 100 pounds (or maybe it's 80) it turns the airbag off! Cool.

KarenTX--we have the Evenflo Triumph (I think or maybe its the titan) anyway it sort of looks like a little throne. DD loves it! We chose the evenflo over the Graco ones b/c the evenflo can be adjusted from the sides and not the front (which is actually the part jammed up against the seat when the carseat is in the rear facing position--making it hard to adjust). We also have a really cheap one for DH's car--won't even mention the name b/c wouldn't recommend getting it.

lissawyn--No flames from me either about the plane ticket thing. We hadn't bought DD a plane ticket until this last flight when we had too! But she got pretty hard to manage around 18 months--She wanted to get down and run around the plane. That being said, she's still hard to manage now even with her own seat.

Alice28-I also think I weighed 100lbs in the 5th grade--Ah, to see the days of double digits! :lmao: Cool about your car and the airbag!

We just got back from the park. That's one of the perks of coming to my parents is that the weather is so nice. Can't beat 60s in Jan, except maybe the 80s we had in Florida. Guess I better go see what the kids are up to--I miss having the computer in a central location so I can type and oversee the chaos brewing! Check in later! :)

:teeth: Now when I said I was 100 pounds until I was 24 year old I have to clearify that I am only 5 feet tall. Of course I remember well for some strange reason that I only weight 49 pounds in 5th grade (me and another short girl were the same and people thought it was amazing. I had no idea what they were going on about.) See why my girls being so small doesn't phase me at all?

Sadly over 100 pounds now a days, but still I weight the least I have for the past 8 years so that is a good thing. :goodvibes

My van does the airbag thing too, but it is under 60 pounds. Not sure why, 60 pounds is pretty small. :teeth:

Car seats, I want a Britax, the are knows as the best and safest seats around. Also the most $$$ and I am feeling rather cheap lately.

However I did get DD some American Girls stuff the other day. Mostly the Hopsocth Hill collection that is being discontinued, but I love the quaility of their stuff. I am I am more excited about it then she is. Her 5th brithday is the end of March so lets see if I can manage to wait until then to give them to her. ;)

:wave2: Hello everyone - I hope you are all well!

I have been catching up on everything that's been going on - must say firstly that I don't think we are a clique just a bunch of good friends who have their kids in common and have become buddies - I guess it may look cliquey to others but we have all gotton close as we were all friends on the OMTB thread first. I am sorry if I have ever ignored anyone - it wasn't intentional. I also use a note bad a la Jill sometimes!!! :rotfl:

We have been soo busy this last few days - DH has been sanding down our porch and he is repainting at the moment - he started off sanding by hand and then came in the house and said that he was going to the DIY store to get an electric sander! :rotfl2: I shouldn't laugh at him as he was trying so hard to get it all done today but it was funny!!

Shelby has got excma sp?? on her knees quite bad so I have been putting cream on them but it doesn;t seem to be getting better - we are going to baby massage in the morning so I can ask them there if there's anything that they can prescribe for us that's a bit stronger.

Also I have lost 4lbs this week! :banana: :banana: :banana: I'm just a bit pleased about that (don't know if you can tell!) :banana: :banana:

Robin - I'm glad that dd is getting used to having Daddy home - I liked their bonding :teeth: very cute. How cool that the Tribeca senses what weight you are! If it were mine the airbags would be on ALL of the time ha ha! :rotfl2:

Lissawynn- I'm with you on not buying a seat on the plane - we haven't bought one for Shelby in April she will be sitting on me and then prob DH or my mom or dad so it should be ok. I don't think she would be happy in her own seat so what's the point really?

SL - Very Cute pics of Lucas! he is such a sweetie! :love:

Justthat - Are you feeling less sick now? I think I missed if you have told your mom about the baby yet?

Loretta - I am sure that Cam's dress was lovely - how strange that the other girl had the same name!

Hello to everyone else Tasha, Bellacam, DisneyPHD, Nuchpharm, Jill, Inside Ball, sorry if I've missed anyone -

I'm off to watch the OC! :teeth:

Hi All i can't believe how fast this moves sorry my mummy brain means I can't remember half of what I just read.
Joat Sorry to hear about Jaces blood disorder big hugs to you :grouphug:
Strawberry lemonade Still haven't worked out how to do pics but hopefully hubby will show me tomorrow.
Alice28 Good Luck with the decorating, like your attitude about money wish I could be like that right now hubby is trying to convince me that we should go to Florida in Oct and I'm being sensible and saying things need doing in the house, so we had a family vote DH DS DD all for holiday Mum, Baby and rabbit against ok so baby and rabbit can't decide but I think I'm the only grown up in my house.
J &D MIL definately get pleasure from winding people up mine certainly does,
TI6GEM Congrats on the weight loss I am really struggling this time with my other two children I didn't need to try but now having to try so after half term I'm off to Aerobics class and taking Aimee swimming.
Sorry don't have any advice about car seats I'm waiting until we get a new car in March so I can make sure it's compatiable.
I bought Aimee a highchair today, black and pink minnie mouse one she seems to like it I'll try and post pics.

a1006.jpg

this is Shelby and her friend Ellie - they look so bemused! So cute! :)

Alice 28 – I think meeting in WDW would be so much fun. I also like the fact that it would give me a trip to look forward too. Oh, and I’ve charged vacations and gone before paying them off too. One must do what one must do to get a Disney fix. BTW, I’m going to NC on Feb. 17. I’m nervous. I haven’t left any of my kids for more than one night. I’ll probably die from missing them so much.

Joats – It’s good to “see” you! I usually post while I eat my lunch at work. I need a few minutes away from my schoolwork so it works out well. Sometimes, there are so many posts that I can only read them during my lunch and have to respond to them later. I also check the DIS when Aidan takes a nap. I am very upset to hear about Jace’s blood disorder. I will be hoping for the best for him.

Jill – I cracked up picturing you with your notepad. I’ve been so impressed with your posts. You always respond to everything complete with smilies. Now I know how you do it!

SL – Yes, basically café duty requires me to make sure kids don’t throw food or beat each other up. That’s pretty much it. It kind of resembles combat duty only the weapon of choice is fake cheese instead of bullets. Basically, it’s hell and I’ve already told my principal that I better not be in there next year. BTW, Lucas is so cute. He looks like such a big boy!

Justhat – I’d let my DH keep the ipod only because my DH never spends on anything. He is so cheap! So, if he bought something that made him happy, I’d let him keep it. That being said, the stroller is more important, of course, with a new baby coming. Are you planning on getting a double stroller? You’ll probably need it since Madison will still be young when the baby comes. I have a cheap Graco that I bought for Alex (he’s 5) for $40. It has a sunshade and a tray and it is very light. It has been through 5 Disney trips and was great on the bus. That might be a good solution. Then, you could get a really nice stroller before the baby comes. How are you feeling, by the way? Is your morning sickness still bad?

J & D – I’m glad Jenna had a good birthday. I’m sorry to hear about you MIL issues. I’m sorry about your toilet. What a nightmare. Thanks for the recall info.

Nucpharm – I’m glad you had a good trip. Your breastfeeding situation is a tough one. I really don’t have any advice on getting a baby to take a bottle. I have breastfed 3 kids and they’ve all been little piggies who will eat anything. I used Avent bottles which has always worked out well for me. Good luck.

Gems – Shelby is getting so big! What a cute picture of her with her friend.

I started doing my taxes today. What a pain in the neck. I started doing them myself last year because my tax guy smells and has yellow nails and I didn’t feel like finding another one. I’m using turbotax and it keeps asking me things I don’t know.

Tommorrow marks one year since I was put on bedrest with Aidan. It was the worst day of my life. It is also around the time when I found Alice28's OMTB thread which allowed me some much needed human contact while I was on bedrest. I can't believe he's so big and healthy now. Thank goodness!

:yay: :wave: Hi everybody,
It feels like I have been gone for a long time. I just had about 5 pages to catch up on! Some days I only have enough time to read and DH kicks me off the computer before I can post but I have been keeping up with everyone. I also read that thread where people mentioned they felt we ignored them. I know no one here would purposely try to make anybody feel unwelcome. It's just kind of understood that this thread moves so fast that sometimes things get lost in the shuffle. We welcome all posters here :) .

I only have a few quick minutes to post before DH goes to bed and I reclaim mommy duty. Off the top of my head:

Robin,
The home improvements sound amazing! I hope you will post pictures during the process so we can all be jealous ;) . Thanks for posting the pic of you, DH and Molly. It made me smile to think of DH and Molly's special time together and how you got some alone time. And I didn't read the tax thread but I really think people must be full of it to say they wouldn't take any money the gov't said they were owed. Come on :rolleyes: .

SL,
Sorry Lucas had such a tough time at your IL's. I would have felt the same way as you did. Katie has that activity table also and she loves it.

Tamie,
Love the pics of Tyler! What a doll! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the skinny jeans :cheer2: .

Nucpharm,
Glad all went smoothly with your travel :) . Enjoy your visit.

Hillbeans,
I couldn't see the pics but I'm glad the weekend went well for you.

J&D,
Sorry your MIL was being so nasty. It must have really hurt your feeling when you put thought into her gift and she made that snide remark. Jenna knows Mommy worked hard to make her day special and she doesn't care where the cake came from :grouphug: .

InsideBall,
The high chair sounds so cute. I hope you can post some pics.

Gems,
Congrats on the 4 pounds :cheer2: ! That is so great! I love the pic of Shelby and her buddy. So precious!

Lisawynn,
That it! Into the oil you go :stir: ! Just joking! Yes, you can take Jimmy in the stroller right up to the door of the plane and they will check it for you right there. Then they will have it for you right when you get off plane. I am also a nervous flyer and I usually take a dose of benedryl before I go on a plane. It's enough to take the edge off but no so much that I feel loopy. Then again I am very sensitive to meds so I don't know if it would work for everyone.

Diskim,
Glad the kids are feeling better.

Hi to everyone I missed :wave: . I promise it wasn't intentional :) .

I have been down for the count again for the past couple of days because of a tooth infection. I swear I have never felt pain like that in my life. I would take a c-section anyday. Anyway, it got me to go to the dentist for the first time in about 12 years. I terrified of dentists but nausau inducing pain got the best of me.

Katrina has been soo clingy lately. She won't sleep in her bed anymore and will barely let me put her down lately. Not so much fun when I have felt terrible.

Between all this, I managed to score a job interview on Thursday so if anyone has any spare pd I could use it. It's at a daycare 12:30 -6. I'm so nervous. I haven't been on a job interview in 10 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter