The Non-Nightmare Before Christmas.. Two Disney Sisters in WDW - December 2009 01/24

Hi! There are three 'tiers' of restaurant for the CLP dinner package... This page on WDWINFO explains it well!
http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/candlelight_processional.htm#narrators
It looks like you can use two TS credits per person for the lunchtime package.
I'd definitely recommend the dining package though - it guarantees you a seat in the theatre & a relatively shorter line.. everytime we walked through World Showcase in the evenings we were amazed by the queues for CLP.. this really is a popular show!!

Emma princess: xx

Thank you so much for the link, Emma!! I will check it out!! :goodvibes

The guest speaker for our show was supposed to have been Vanessa Williams – which we were really excited about because we both love Ugly Betty! Unfortunately, Vanessa was unable to attend the shows and we saw Chita Rivera instead – she was very good though and seemed to love listening to all the Christmas carols, she even sang along!

Emma princess: x x

Chita Rivera??? When we were walking past I heard some of the narration and I was thinking that it didn't sound like Vanessa Williams. Now I know why. :rolleyes:

I doesn't appear that our paths crossed at EPCOT. The closest we may have come was that we were probably eating at Tangerine Cafe about the time your sister was getting that tastey looking beverage.

Can't wait to read about MK.

Day 5 – Sunday December 13th 2009

Keys to the Kingdom Tour – Epcot (briefly!) - Downtown Disney – Princess & the Frog – then EMH at the Studios!

Today was our last full day in WDW – and we had even more exciting things planned!

We got up & left the Boardwalk at around 7.45am – again getting a taxi.. this time to Magic Kingdom!

DSC01645.jpg

Well, really the TTC –

DSC01646.jpg

the taxi dropped us off there and we got a monorail to the entrance.. you can tell how early it was – we had a whole train carriage to ourselves!

DSC01647.jpg
DSC01649.jpg

The weather was really warm and sunny already – perfect for this morning's activity.. a 5 hour, backstage tour of MK!

We got to the park and went through the turnstiles on the right-hand side, they were open for guests with breakfast ADRs and also people, like us, doing tours.

We checked in at 'package pickup' near the Town Hall – we were given lanyards that said “visitor – 8.30am tour” and name badges.
We were given menus from Columbia Harbor House so we could pre-order our lunch (Which was included in the tour) and then we could help ourselves to bottled water, teas and coffee.
We had to back there at 8.25am – so we had about 15 minutes to stroll around a practically empty Main Street & Town Square!!

DSC01652.jpg
DSC01653.jpg

The tour cost $65 each (less 15% DVC discount for us too) and just being in the park this early was already making the price seem worth it!

DSC01654.jpg
DSC01655.jpg
DSC01657.jpg
DSC01656.jpg
DSC01659.jpg
Image0037.jpg
Image0042.jpg

At 8.25, we met the rest of our group – 20 in total, and our tour guide who was called Evelyn.
She handed out the headsets and battery packs (these clip onto your belt or bag) and checked they all worked.

Evelyn told us a little bit about herself and the different roles she'd had while working at WDW. She'd started on the international college programme nearly 10 years ago (she was originally from Germany) but enjoyed it so much, she'd stayed and worked in several resorts – now she said she had her 'dream job' being a WDW tour guide! She also mentioned that she'd met & married her husband while working there – he was a custodial manager at MK (We later saw him during our tour!).

I don't want to give too much away about the KTTK tour – but it was an absolutely amazing experience.. I can't recommend it enough!

Verity & I know a lot about WDW – trivia, facts, history etc.. but there was so much we were told & got to see, that we never knew!
We started on Main St,

DSC01660.jpg
DSC01661.jpg
DSC01662.jpg

then headed to the hub..

DSC01663.jpg

then to Adventureland (where we saw a great CM dancing on the bridge to the music!!)

DSC01664.jpg

We got to ride The Jungle Cruise & our tour guide took the microphone and pointed out extra features & details.

DSC01665.jpg

We went officially backstage near Splash Mountain, and got to see the garbage compacting machine, and where the Spectromagic and other parade floats are kept... Verity said she saw Woody the Cowboy with a human head (?!) but I looked away quickly... there are somethings a Disney girl just doesn't need to see!

(Woody & Jessy)
DSC01666.jpg

I noticed lots of signs backstage that had quotes from Walt Disney.. inspirational messages to keep the cast motivated at work – there were also mirrors just before cast members go 'on stage' that said things like “everyone neat and pretty?”

So many great details were pointed out throughout the tour.

Lunch was served at 11am in a private area of CHH –

DSC01668.jpg

our meals were ready on the tables for us, Verity & I sat with a couple from St Louis who were on their 15 year wedding anniversary, the wife had family from England so we had a nice talk with them while we ate (chicken & fish combo for Verity, BLT salad for me).

Inside our name places on the tables was a special gift... our very own keys 'to the kingdom' ! We thought that was a very nice touch – I've added mine to my Disney pin lanyard.

After lunch we got to ride on the Haunted Mansion, where we entered through the "servants' quarters" which was exciting.. even backstage is themed!

When back in Liberty Square.. we had an impromptu encounter with the latest Disney villain... Dr Facilier!!

DSC01669.jpg
DSC01670.jpg

He was totally in character, even though he was just heading over to the showboat jubilee.

More things were pointed out as we wandered back to the hub.

DSC01671.jpg

We got to the Crystal Palace and after a comfort break, we got to go... in the utilidoors!!
Obviously, there's strictly no photos backstage at Disney – but to be in the 'tunnels' beneath Main St was incredible.

We came back 'up' behind the Chapeau shop – where we got to see where tinkerbell lands after she flies from the castle during Wishes.
We also saw.. the helium balloon room, where all the balloons are filled up that are sold on Main St!

The tour finished back where we started in Town Square.. Evelyn explained the Partners Statues (Walt & Mickey and Roy & Minnie) to complete the tour – Verity & I both had to put our sunglasses on because it made us cry! :sad1:
Everyone applauded our guide when she'd finished.

I had been a little worried that the tour would ruin a little of the 'magic' at Disney.. but it didn't at all, if anything – it added to my appreciation of the cast members and the imagineers; they are amazing people!
If I do it again (which I hope to do!) I will make sure I have written down some questions to ask the tour guide.. you can ask anything, but I just couldn't think of anything during the tour, my mind went blank!

continued...

After the tour, we headed out the park and got the monorail to Epcot.

DSC01672.jpg

Once at the park, we headed to Mouse Gear and had some more retail therapy!

We had some photos taken in front of Spaceship Earth – but it was so sunny, we were squinting! The photopass photographer was really funny – when he heard our English accents he said “I'm learning English! Trainer, Slipper, Nappy...”

Image0047.jpg

As we wandered around Canada, we noticed a large group of people on the steps to O Canada with the WDW Today/Mouse Fan Travel lanyards on.. then, on the other side of the path, I noticed out of the corner of my eye .. Deb Wills from AllEars.net!!

I told Verity who I'd seen – then (really out of character for me!) I decided to go up to her and say 'hi'!
I've been subscribing to her newsletter for about 10 years! I thanked her for the website and newsletter, she was really kind & gracious.. and gave us an 'All Ears' lip balm each!

As it was so lovely & warm – we stopped at the stand by the Rose & Crown for a Woodpecker cider each.. perfect summery drink! The CM asked us for ID and was really excited when we got out our British driving licences, she said “English things, from home!”

DSC01673.jpg
DSC01674.jpg
DSC01676.jpg

We had one more 'meet' to attend during our trip, and it was for Celebrations Magazine – they were meeting from 2pm at the gardens in the France Pavillion.

Stopping for a photopass picture on the bridge (this is a great PP location!)

Image0049.jpg

We wandered up to the small gathering of people, spoke to Glenn Whelan – then met Tim Foster (Guide to the Magic & Celebrations Mag), other writers from the magazine .. and also – Steve Barrett – the author of 'Hidden Mickeys Guide' !

MeetingTimFoster13thDec2009.jpg

Tim gave us each a Celebrations Mag pin.. he asked if we subscribed to the magazine, Verity explained the international postage was a bit too high.. so he GAVE us every edition of the magazine printed so far!!
It was unbelievably generous.. they are amazing magazines too, a bit like the D23 mag or the DVC members magazine.

We finished our drinks and said our goodbyes.. then headed back to the BW – the day had been amazing so far, and there was still so much to come! :wizard:

On the way back to the BW, I noticed a huge number of New Orleans Saints fans all seated outside the ESPN cafe – DF is a big Saints fan so I took a photo for him..

DSC01678.jpg

Verity asked two guys what the score was – not that it meant anything to us (!) .. so she said “is that good?!” .. one guy said “um yeah.. if you're a Saints fan!” :rotfl:

We got back to the room – had showers & got ready, also spoke to our parents & DF on Skype.. the X Factor final was on (our American Idol!) so we got a 'live update' when the winner was announced.

Once we were all neat and pretty, we headed to the bus stop and very soon, a DTD bus arrived.
On board, we started to make a list of all the attractions we really wanted to do for the last day of our trip.. a man who was sitting across from us noticed what we were doing and said “wow you two are organised!” .. we got chatting to him for the rest of the journey, he was in the US forces & had been to WDW with his daughter for their vacation.

Pretty soon, we were at the Market Place bus stop.. we strolled around to the West Side.. to the AMC cinema!
We knew Princess & The Frog was coming out in December, but it wouldn't be released in the UK until February 2010.. so we were determined to try and see it while in WDW!
As luck would have it, there was a screening in just over an hour's time, so we bought the tickets ($10 each) and went to get some dinner at .. Paradiso 37!

As it was quite early and a Sunday night, the restaurant was fairly empty – the server asked if we'd like to sit outside which we decided to do as it was such a lovely evening.

DSC01679.jpg
DSC01680.jpg
DSC01683.jpg

We ordered a pitcher of white sangria – mmmm!

Verity had Tacos

DSC01684.jpg

and I had pork sliders

DSC01685.jpg

There was a musician there singing & playing acoustic guitar who was very good & added to the atmostphere.

A couple on the next table asked us what our cocktail was, and they decided to order it to! (we noticed all vacation that a lot of other guests spoke to us while we were in WDW, we decided we must look like friendly, approachable girls!)

DSC01687.jpg

We finished our meal – we both really enjoyed it, highly recommended restaurant – I hope more of Pleasure Island is reopened as nice places like that (and for the Adventurer's Club to reopen.. ?!)

and then went to see the movie!
It was fantastic – an instant Disney classic; we laughed and cried all the way through, and at the end of the movie – the whole audience cheered and clapped! :woohoo:
I can't wait to go see it again next month when it's at the cinemas here.

We walked back to the market place and did some shopping in the World of Disney, and also the Winnie the Pooh shop.

It was just after 9pm, so we walked over to Saratoga Springs and got a bus to.. Disney's Hollywood Studios!

We got on the bus at the Congress Park stop (I'd stayed there with DF in 2008 so knew the area well!), and after stopping at The Springs... we had the whole bus to ourselves!
We had a really talkative bus driver – he was asking us all about our trip, where we were from, and where we were staying – when I said “The Boardwalk”.. next thing we know, he's on his radio to ask if he can divert his bus route to the BW!! :scared1:
We quickly said “oh no.. thank you … but we want to go to the Studios!!”

Pretty soon, we were there! .. it was nearly 10pm so we had one hour to enjoy a few more attractions.

First of all, we had to go see the Osbourne Family Lights.. we'd seen these on our 2004-5 NYE trip, and couldn't wait to see them again!

Verity took some great video of them 'dancing' … here are some photos too..

DSC01688.jpg
DSC01689.jpg
DSC01690.jpg
DSC01691.jpg

After enjoying the lights & feeling even more festive.. we wandered around to Pixar Place.. Verity tried out the 'Christmas Carol' photo area – then we tried to see 'One Man's Dream' .. but found out it wasn't open for EMH.

We walked back to the Sorcerer's Hat and had a photopass picture..

Image0054.jpg

By now it was after 10.30pm – and we had one more thing to do... Tower of Terror, in the dark!!
There was no line at all.. we even tried to walk really slowly through the boiler room so that we'd get a lift all to ourselves! It didn't quite work.. probably for the best, I think it would have been far too scary to do that!

When we finished the ride, it was about 10.50pm .. so we decided to ride it again!

DSC01694.jpg

After two trips to the Twilight Zone, we decided it was time to head back to the BW.. we needed to pack & get some sleep, we had lots to squeeze into our last half day in the World!

Emma princess: x

Loving this, Emma! Sad it's almost over! I made DBF see The Princess and the Frog with me-- even he loved it.

What a fabulous day you had!! I would LOVE to do that tour someday! It sounds AMAZING!! And there seems like there were sooo many meets during the week you were there! How cool that you got to meet the people from Celebrations magazine!! I just started subscribing and LOVE the mag!! :goodvibes So glad you got to see The Princess and the Frog!! We saw it the day it came out and LOVED it!! Ally keeps asking me when it will come out on DVD!! She's very anxious to own it!! I'm sad your TR is coming to an end! I've really enjoyed reading it and getting to know you, Emma!! :goodvibes

The Adventurer's club reopening?

Lol... that was just me wishing it would!! I believe they are opening an AC restaurant in Hong Kong Disneyland.. using all the props from the closed bar in Pleasure Island :rolleyes: - such a shame, I really enjoyed it there when it was open!

Thank you all for reading! .. still one more day to go :cutie:

I can't believe it's almost over!!

You guys really know how to make the most of your time! I can't believe you did so much in one day. I know it seems like I'm totally copying the places where you ate, but we are thinking about Paradiso 37 for our next trip, too! The menu is sooo long and delicious-looking!

Another great update and another wonderful day. The tour looked wonderful and you got to meet Deb Willis! :thumbsup2 I love the photopass pictures with the balloons at epcot.

Can't wait to read about your last day but so sad to see it end.

Subscribing! Although, I'm apparently a little late. I didn't realize you were doing a TR! I'm enjoying so far! It's fun to see what other people did who were there at the same time as us and see how they experienced things. :thumbsup2

My DH is in your picture of Dr. Facilier!

Good news…I finally found a cable that likes both my camcorder and laptop so I’m in the process of importing and editing my Disney footage! :surfweb:
Back to HS, I really enjoyed the meet at tower of terror. It was really nice to do a ride together and the ride photo was great! :happytv:
Starring Rolls is definitely one of my favourite breakfast places, it’s a great location for people watching! Every time I go I promise myself I will try one of the amazing cakes and rice krispie treats there but I always end up with a yummy danish, they are sooooo good!
I had a great time sneaking around the side of Muppets and seeing the old queuing line, some of the movies referenced were very recent so they are obviously keeping it up to date, just not opening it for guests. :rolleyes1
Meeting Dug from UP was definitely a huge highlight for us! We both adored that movie. I love that the photopass guys got a shot of us greeting them, more Disney magic!

I was really looking forward to that afternoon in Epcot, especially excited about doing Kim Possible. I hadn’t really understood what it was about and I didn’t know what to expect, I think it’s hard to imagine until you do it yourself. I was surprised how interactive it was and how much of the China pavilion I had never seen!
The all about the mouse meet was really fun, it was quite a small group so it was quite intimate and jokey, not at all intimidating. I totally agree Emma, is so strange to hear us on a podcast, I really hope I don’t sound like that in real life!:sad2:
Teppan Edo was my favourite meal of the trip, the food was unbelievable as was the service and entertainment! My only criticism is that I think they could have made more effort in decorating the restaurant, it’s great whilst your chef/entertainer is there but once they have gone there is no artwork or anything to enjoy.
My ‘birthday’ song was sooooo embarrassing! I was mortified at first then thought… it’s Disney, just enjoy it!
Our special cocktail from Morocco was delicious, shame we will never know what is in it! I went into the Tangerine Café and there was a big queue but no one waiting at the coffee bit to the left. I asked what was in one of the cocktails on the board and the man said ‘let me make you a special one for your birthday’ I never so no to birthday drinks and it was lovely, very fruity with a hint of honey, perfect for a summers evening which is what it felt like to us brits! :laughing:
I liked Candlelight Processional, but I didn’t love it. It was lovely and festive but I did find it a little bit boring, probably just because we had big, grand carol concerts at our secondary school, not to the same standard, obviously, but I think it just reminded me of school and forced attendance. :teacher:
Before I move onto our KTTK tour I wanted to share some video we took on Kilimanjaro Safari on our second day, this is the amazing moment when a giraffe was sooo close to our jeep, enjoy!

Keys to the Kingdom Tour...=…fantastic!
I really enjoyed this tour, the level of detail was great without ruining any Disney magic or enjoyment. Some of the things our tour guide pointed out were really funny and I can’t wait till I go again with our parents, want to point out some of the trivia to them. My highlight was certainly the utilidors, it was great to be there with Emma and be able to geek out about going backstage and to the ground floor! :banana:
Over in Epcot I thoroughly enjoyed that cider from the UK. It was such a warm day and the cider went down a treat. Also gave us some dutch courage for our last meet!
The Celebrations magazine meet was going to be a highlight as we were going to meet Lou Mongello, unfortunately he announced the week before that he had a family emergency and would be out of the state. I was disappointed but I was still excited to meet Tim Foster as I love his contributions to various podcasts. I was amazed when he gave us all those magazines! That was my reading material for the flight home covered! :woohoo:
Over at DTD I really enjoyed seeing some of the live entertainment whilst we walked to the cinema, there was a lot going on that evening. I was so pleased when there was a film time that suited us. Over here in the UK our cinemas are much smaller and you have to plan ahead to see a film, it’s rare that you can just show up and the timings will suit, there are only a few showings per day. Our dinner at Paradiso 37 was something else I had been looking forward to, I always check the menus when a new restaurant opens and the menu here does not disappoint.
The film was brilliant, so nice to see a return to hand drawn animation, I have already seen it again at a special screening here but gonna see it again when it comes out in a couple of weeks. Also I really recommend the soundtrack, it’s always on in my car! :dance3:
Once again I can’t believe how much we got done in one day! Our late night trip to HS was great, I love the Osbourne lights and TOT at 11pm is incredibly scary, it’s a completely different experience to riding in the day. I think one of the reasons is because it’s dark outside so your eyes don’t need time to adjust once you go in, especially when you’re in the library. We managed to find the ‘hidden mickey’ in there too, on the sheet music. :thumbsup2
The day was finally over, back to the boardwalk to pack :sad1:

Just found your TR and caught up....sounds like you guys had a blast! looking forward to reading about your last day :thumbsup2

Loved reading along - particularly about the tour. I would love to do that but at the moment Amber is to young and I don't fancy doing it on my own. Can't wait to read about the last day. Must have been lovely to spend all that "sisterly" time together!

Just found your TR and caught up....sounds like you guys had a blast! looking forward to reading about your last day :thumbsup2

Thank you for reading so far! I see in your signature you have a trip planned for December 2010.. it's an amazing time of year to go to WDW! :santa:

Loved reading along - particularly about the tour. I would love to do that but at the moment Amber is to young and I don't fancy doing it on my own. Can't wait to read about the last day. Must have been lovely to spend all that "sisterly" time together!

The tour was fantastic.. I think the minimum age is 16, but I can understand why, there's a chance when you're backstage of seeing characters with human heads?! :eek: lol

Thank you for reading so far! I'm almost putting off writing up the last day, I don't want it to end! .. will get it done soon though - and Verity has video to add too now, well done sis! :thumbsup2

I am always late to everyone's trip report. I've got a lot of catching up to do. I hear you talk abut Jelly Rolls. I've never been there? Is it a place for dancing? I must try that. I didn't have room in my schedule on our next trip to try Kouzina, especially since we're a party of 9 and have to please children too. We're going to do alot of walk up. I love Main Street Bakery for breakfast. Everything is so big. The muffins are huge the cinnamon rolls massive! I didn't know they had lattes. I'm getting one there in March for sure now. :lovestruc

btw: I think The Enchanted Tiki Hut has always been "under new management". Maybe that does refer to Disneyland. I've never been to land, but my first trip to World was around 1973 and I think it was like that.

I totally love the Dole Whip. I didn't get one in July if you can believe that. With all the tour groups, it was too crowded and my MIL was in a scooter, so some places we just didn't get to. I don't know WHAT I'm looking forward to more, the Dole whip.. or that Passionfruit Margarita in Mexico. I usually get Mango.

Glad to finally read your report. I'm going to have to stop for the night and pick up in the morning.

I am always late to everyone's trip report. I've got a lot of catching up to do. I hear you talk abut Jelly Rolls. I've never been there? Is it a place for dancing? I must try that. I didn't have room in my schedule on our next trip to try Kouzina, especially since we're a party of 9 and have to please children too. We're going to do alot of walk up. I love Main Street Bakery for breakfast. Everything is so big. The muffins are huge the cinnamon rolls massive! I didn't know they had lattes. I'm getting one there in March for sure now. :lovestruc

btw: I think The Enchanted Tiki Hut has always been "under new management". Maybe that does refer to Disneyland. I've never been to land, but my first trip to World was around 1973 and I think it was like that.

I totally love the Dole Whip. I didn't get one in July if you can believe that. With all the tour groups, it was too crowded and my MIL was in a scooter, so some places we just didn't get to. I don't know WHAT I'm looking forward to more, the Dole whip.. or that Passionfruit Margarita in Mexico. I usually get Mango.

Glad to finally read your report. I'm going to have to stop for the night and pick up in the morning.

Glad you found us Mindy! Think you've already looked at our vacation photos on facebook lol :goodvibes

Definitely stop for a Dole Whip and a Passion Fruit Margerita on your next trip! That temporary counter-service place in Mexico should be there for quite a while.. Disney have completely knocked down the Cantina over the last few weeks to rebuild it!

Last day coming up...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter