The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you that I run 30-45 seconds faster per minute outside versus on the treadmill.
Me too! And I really thought I was an anomaly because all I ever hear is how the 'mill does some of the work for you, making it easier, etc. Not mine, I tell you. Maybe it measures speed and distance wrong, but 30 minutes on it feels like an hour outside and winds up anywhere from 1 to 2 minutes per mile slower! :sad2:

What kind of interval watches do you recommend??
I hate wearing watches, so I can't help there, but I use the Runkeeper app on my iPhone and have double-checked it with Google maps and by driving my routes - it's very, very accurate. And I can pre-set intervals along with my iTunes, which is nice.

This weekend is a big deal for me. It will be my longest run ever (7.3) and I'll hit 100+ miles for this year! :cheer2:
:cheer2: Wednesday, I hit 100 miles since I started keeping track in Jan. - it's exciting, isn't it?! WTG!

I am a short interval runner and let me tell you we have our work cut out for us.
I do 2:1 but I have found the lowest I can go is 1:1 without dipping into the 14-15 range. So it is good that you are already starting to incorporate intervals.:

Last September when I thought I was going to do the 2012 race, I started at 1:1 intervals but since I had been lazy for the whole year prior I was very slow, so I knocked it down to 30 second intervals. When I do that, I can keep a 13-14 minute/mile pace.

Since I have longer to train now, I want to get my intervals up but keep my pace the same.

Originally Posted by VickiHD
What kind of interval watches do you recommend??

Since I wasn't sure I was going to keep this up at first, I didn't want to invest a lot of money. I use a Timex Ironman watch that I use for intervals. I don't wear headphones, though, so I can hear it beep.:)

It doesn't have GPS so I usually either map my route out beforehand or just go to the track, if I want to keep track of my splits.

I have been reading and I am a little worried. Is flying in Friday afternoon/evening super bad? We won't be able to make it to the Expo until Saturday to pick up the race stuff. Is that going to be a huge issue? I just can't see how we can leave Thursday unless I fly home Sunday night and that doesn't seem like a fun way to celebrate finishing the race.

I have been reading and I am a little worried. Is flying in Friday afternoon/evening super bad? We won't be able to make it to the Expo until Saturday to pick up the race stuff. Is that going to be a huge issue? I just can't see how we can leave Thursday unless I fly home Sunday night and that doesn't seem like a fun way to celebrate finishing the race.

No worries! My first year, I drove down and didn't get there until after lunch on Friday. As far as expo goes, it's really no problem picking up your race stuff on Saturday. It's far too early to start stressing out about stuff!!!:thumbsup2

I did not get Into Orlando until 3:00pm on Saturday. We could not check into our rental until 4. I went and picked up my number. Easy breezy no line no wait. It wasn't much I wanted from the expo, so if all the "good" stuff was all gone I did not notice.
The only reason, I want to come in on Friday next year is so that I can at least get settled in. I had to go grocery store to get my bagel, banana and peanut butter stuff like that really late. I wanted to be in bed by 9am.

Just wanted to make an observation from this past Princess... for those of you on those plans like Galloway, etc. be prepared that if you are using a beeper or something that beeps :laughing: to remind yourself of your intervals, there are like 50 people around you doing the exact same thing, I noticed several people getting confused wondering if it was their beeper or not! I definately noticed it during the first 2 miles, after that, not so much.

As for me personally I don't use any plan, but wanted to let people know that do use plans, that was something I had noticed :thumbsup2

No, no issue at all flying in Fri afternoon/evening. Unless you are really into the official merchandise at the expo or a Dooney bag, you should be fine going Saturday morning.

If you are going to fly in Saturday AM, you can always exchange cell numbers or email addresses with someone here who is staying at your resort, and then be prepared to text/email a photo of your drivers license to have someone pick up your bib for you in case you get delayed.

Just wanted to make an observation from this past Princess... for those of you on those plans like Galloway, etc. be prepared that if you are using a beeper or something that beeps :laughing: to remind yourself of your intervals, there are like 50 people around you doing the exact same thing, I noticed several people getting confused wondering if it was their beeper or not! I definately noticed it during the first 2 miles, after that, not so much.

As for me personally I don't use any plan, but wanted to let people know that do use plans, that was something I had noticed :thumbsup2

The vibrate feature really helps with that! :)

I will say, though, that I train with a Galloway group during the summer and have been known to run or walk on command if a beep goes off somewhere... :laughing:

Our thread is so lively already and I've learned a ton, too - thank you, everyone!

Thanks for the info. I also have the run walk timer from Jeff Galloway but I can never hear it with my head phones on.

I bought that timer through the Gymboss website and also listed was a wrist band [3 dollars]. I got that because I already had my phone and pedometer attached to my waist and thought I looked funny enough already without adding more stuff. So now I have a big orange timer on my wrist, too - no, that doesn't look funny at all...:rolleyes1 Anyway, even listening to my headphones, the vibrate mode is strong enough to tell me when to switch.

I hope I have everyone listed on the front page so far.. If I missed you please let me know!

This weekend is a big deal for me. It will be my longest run ever (7.3) and I'll hit 100+ miles for this year! :cheer2:

Congratulations!!! And thank you for keeping up with that list.

Now, THAT is funny!

The vibrate feature really helps with that! :)

I will say, though, that I train with a Galloway group during the summer and have been known to run or walk on command if a beep goes off somewhere... :laughing:

I do feel like a robot, starting and stopping like that...Pavlov's dog or something?

This princess needs some technical help........
I can't figure out how to make my Jeff Gallowy run/walk/run timer vibrate.

I really would like to figure this out myself and I just can't. It just beeps and I even tried looking for directions online and no luck.

I would like it to vibrate and also beep if possible.

Thanks

This princess needs some technical help........
I can't figure out how to make my Jeff Gallowy run/walk/run timer vibrate.

I really would like to figure this out myself and I just can't. It just beeps and I even tried looking for directions online and no luck.

I would like it to vibrate and also beep if possible.

Thanks

Have you looked at these?

http://www.gymboss.com/gymboss-timer-instructions.php

http://www.gymboss.com/gymboss-troubleshooting.php

Are you still in setup mode? If you've set the interval times, then the number of interval repetitions, you should see an option of BH [beep high], BL [beep low] or V [vibrate].

It may be that the timer needs to be rebooted as well.

Good luck!

It was so hilarious at the Princess but I felt in good
Company. It was like a synchronized swimming act. We started holding up our hands saying "that was mine"

I was glad to see the 2:45 pacer use intervals as well.

Today I am off to get new shoes. It feels like it has been way too long and I want to get some that I really like for outdoor running. I prefer to run outside than at the gym but in Michigan you take what you can get. Now I just hope I can find the the perfect Princess pair.

I'm in! This will be my first 1/2. I'm currently on a training program. I will be running with two of my daughters, niece, sister-in-law, girlfriend and two their hubbies! Getting excited, but also nervous and anxious about working up to this goal. :yay:

debbieandroo-------Thank you !!!! The video was great and I did it !!:cool1:

Yay!!

I actually have a question for you - I noticed that you live in the Bay Area? I will be in San Mateo for training for 4 weeks in May/June and was wondering if there are any Galloway or slowbie (13+ mm) running groups or meetups in that area? What are the trails/weather like?

Any other Princesses in that area, feel free to chime in! :)

Yay!!

I actually have a question for you - I noticed that you live in the Bay Area? I will be in San Mateo for training for 4 weeks in May/June and was wondering if there are any Galloway or slowbie (13+ mm) running groups or meetups in that area? What are the trails/weather like?

Any other Princesses in that area, feel free to chime in! :)

Wow 4 weeks in San Mateo that's a long time. We are across the Bay from San Mateo so I'm not really familiar with any running groups. Since it's the Bay Area...(and if you have a car) you can drive about 20-30 pretty much any direction and get to some other locations where there are more options for you.
Foster City is one town over with water canals running through it and walking/running trails around a "lake" area. Palo Alto, Stanford, is about 20 min South from you and the entire town is biking and great places to run around campus. In San Mateo a couple of places to try Crystal Springs Reservoir: http://www.traillink.com/trail/crystal-springs-reservoir-trail.aspx always crowded on weekends with runners, bikers, walkers.

San Mateo Running Routes: http://www.walkjogrun.net/running-routes/USA/CA/San Mateo/

Yelp has some other suggestions along with a map. Yelp San Mateo Running Routes: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Running+Trail&find_loc=San+Mateo,+CA

Hillsdale Mall is in San Mateo --Nordstrom’s and Macys as well as Cheese Cake Factory. Which now has an extensive healthy menu options.

The weather----it's generally foggy in the a.m. and p.m. and clearing up in mid-day. But it's not uncommon to have rain showers in June or even a heat wave. So I'm not much help with that. I guess pack a little bit of everything.

Hope this helps and gets you started. I'll keep thinking of more ideas.

Wow 4 weeks in San Mateo that's a long time. We are across the Bay from San Mateo so I'm not really familiar with any running groups. Since it's the Bay Area...(and if you have a car) you can drive about 20-30 pretty much any direction and get to some other locations where there are more options for you.
Foster City is one town over with water canals running through it and walking/running trails around a "lake" area. Palo Alto, Stanford, is about 20 min South from you and the entire town is biking and great places to run around campus. In San Mateo a couple of places to try Crystal Springs Reservoir: http://www.traillink.com/trail/crystal-springs-reservoir-trail.aspx always crowded on weekends with runners, bikers, walkers.

San Mateo Running Routes: http://www.walkjogrun.net/running-routes/USA/CA/San Mateo/

Yelp has some other suggestions along with a map. Yelp San Mateo Running Routes: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Running+Trail&find_loc=San+Mateo,+CA

Hillsdale Mall is in San Mateo --Nordstrom’s and Macys as well as Cheese Cake Factory. Which now has an extensive healthy menu options.

The weather----it's generally foggy in the a.m. and p.m. and clearing up in mid-day. But it's not uncommon to have rain showers in June or even a heat wave. So I'm not much help with that. I guess pack a little bit of everything.

Hope this helps and gets you started. I'll keep thinking of more ideas.

WOW!!! Thanks SO much! Man, do I *heart* the DIS. :goodvibes

I will be staying in Foster City, I think. It looks like the lake path might only be a few blocks over from the hotel. No car, though. It looks like there's a Target within easy walking distance, so at least I can get groceries. :)

Is it safe to run alone?

WOW!!! Thanks SO much! Man, do I *heart* the DIS. :goodvibes

I will be staying in Foster City, I think. It looks like the lake path might only be a few blocks over from the hotel. No car, though. It looks like there's a Target within easy walking distance, so at least I can get groceries. :)

Is it safe to run alone?

Foster City is a nice area....our church is in FC. We drive across the San Mateo Bridge to get to FC.

Is it safe to run alone--- I'm positive you will not be running alone unless the weather is bad. At least on Sundays--the lake path is busy and active with people. But ask at your hotel if there are any questionable areas to avoid.

The shopping area where Target is located also has a Starbucks, and a couple of decent places to eat. I can't live without Target myself.

Today I am off to get new shoes. It feels like it has been way too long and I want to get some that I really like for outdoor running. I prefer to run outside than at the gym but in Michigan you take what you can get. Now I just hope I can find the the perfect Princess pair.

Nothing like a nice fitting pair of shoes! Let us know what they recommend!

Nothing like a nice fitting pair of shoes! Let us know what they recommend!

I went to the local running store this time since I hate going to just the regular sports store or shoe store since I want to make sure these are ones I really like. The owner was working today and was super nice. He actually ran the Goofy a couple years ago and said he really enjoyed it. I ended up with a pair of Mizuno ones that are super comfy. I wear a size 5 normally and have a narrow foot and they were the most comfortable, so much better than my Nike pair. I was hoping for pink but the aqua and orange are fun too!:cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!