The Ins and Outs of a Split Stay?

missmickey

Mouseketeer
Hi! We have just decided on a split stay in November (3-12) something I never thought I would do because of the logistics, but we are SO excited! We are doing it for this stay because of my (and my sister's) dream of staying at the Polynesian, while our kids are still young and while also wanting a long visit that we can afford. We are doing 4 nights at POR with a late Friday night arrival and five nights at the Poly. We will be a party of 11 with three separate rooms (myself, dh, and 2 dds in one, my parents in another, and my sister, her dh, and her 3 dds in the last) What do we need to know about a split stay? The good, the bad, and the ugly? Any and all advice, tips, and warnings are welcome! Thanks so much!

I can't really think of anything bad about split stays other than having to re-pack everything up but I don't really mind that. Disney makes it super easy on you as they'll transfer your bags over to your new resort so you can go to the parks and then they'll be there when you get back. (It can take a few hours for them to transfer).

Just realize that if you have Disney transport your luggage to the Poly it will not be there until late afternoon - early evening, no matter how early you give it to them to transfer. Also you will be basically "homeless" on your transfer day. Your room will be ready at the same time anyone checking in new would have a room. The term "Split Stay" is an internet term and not something Disney recognizes. To Disney you have 2 completely separate reservations. They do not handle them any differently.

We did it for Beach Club & Animal Kingdom Lodge. To make our lives a little easier we packed for first half & second half of trip in suitcases, not each person having their own. That way, the second half stayed all packed up, and we only used the one that we needed for the beginning half of the stay. The transfer was very easy. We even had them move/store our grocery items (some cold) as well. You are without your luggage for a while, so keep at least what you might need in a bag with you. You can always leave it at bell services for the day if you want some access to it but don't want to lug it all over the place. We would do a split again without hesitation.

I do them just about every trip but I drive down so it's a little easier since I don't have to do the transfer luggage part. I would suggest maybe doing packing cubes and pack everything for the first trip in one set of cubes and the second half in another set. Then you only have to pull out the cubes and not unpack the whole suitcase. I take two suitcases but again drive so it's not an issue. I do use an over the door toiletry bag which never gets unpacked. I just hang it on the hook on the bathroom door and work out of it, putting everything back in it when I'm done. That way the bathroom counters aren't full of stuff and I know I'm not going to forget anything in the transfer as I just grab the bag and pack it up. I carry things like my laptop, kindle, chargers, toiletry bag that are going to both resorts in a little carry on which fits on the handle of the bag for the resort. I never worry about being homeless for the day, I get up early and drive over to resort #2 and go ahead and check in. That way they know I'm there and a few times my room has actually been ready. I keep my bags in my car but you could have them transferred and do the same thing. After I check in, I just head off to whatever park I planned on doing that day. Sometimes when I get the text my room is ready I head back right then, more often than not I head back later when I'm ready to. They will not deliver your bags to your room until you are in the room, you have to call from the room for them to bring them up. I always call down just before I leave resort #1 and tell them I'm checking out, even if I've received the folio via email already.

I love split stays (we started out doing a 2 resort split between Poly and BC and it's evolved to the point that we have an upcoming 7 resort split - yes we are nuts - over 14 nights - but keep in mind that we've already stayed at most of these resorts on previous trips).

We've sort of learned to live out of our suitcases while on vacation, so packing and unpacking isn't that big of a deal to us.

Like the previous poster, we use an over the door toiletry bag. We're a family of 4 (father, wife, son, daugther) and we pack 2 suitcases, one for the males and one for the females. We have 3 laundry bags (1 for whites, and 2 for colors). Once we start to run out of clean clothes, we do a wash.

At WDW we are always car-less so, for transfers, we either use bell services to move our luggage betwen resorts (for example, if we're going to a park) or we take an Uber (and store our bags with bell services at the new resort if our rooms aren't yet ready). When we've used bell services to move our luggage between resorts, we operate under the assumption that we can't count on our bags being at the new resort until 5 pm. So, in that case, we pack swim suits in our day bags (as we usually arrive at the new resort by no later than 3 pm and often want to go to the pool right away).

As others have noted, Disney does not recognize split stays, so, for example, if you book a dining plan, the credits must be used by midnight of the day you check out of that resort (unused dining plan credits will not transfer over to the second resort).

Split stays sound like a pain but we find them to be a net convenience because, given how huge WDW is, they allow us to plan a vacation where our resort is always close to whatever park we plan to visit on a particular day. The same goes for our ADRs. In addition, we get to experience more than one resort, which, for us is a lot of fun.

I can't really think of anything bad about split stays other than having to re-pack everything up but I don't really mind that. Disney makes it super easy on you as they'll transfer your bags over to your new resort so you can go to the parks and then they'll be there when you get back. (It can take a few hours for them to transfer).

That was the only negative I could think of too!

Just realize that if you have Disney transport your luggage to the Poly it will not be there until late afternoon - early evening, no matter how early you give it to them to transfer. Also you will be basically "homeless" on your transfer day. Your room will be ready at the same time anyone checking in new would have a room. The term "Split Stay" is an internet term and not something Disney recognizes. To Disney you have 2 completely separate reservations. They do not handle them any differently.

Thank you! That is good to know. Maybe the move day should be a park day until at least dinner.
We did it for Beach Club & Animal Kingdom Lodge. To make our lives a little easier we packed for first half & second half of trip in suitcases, not each person having their own. That way, the second half stayed all packed up, and we only used the one that we needed for the beginning half of the stay. The transfer was very easy. We even had them move/store our grocery items (some cold) as well. You are without your luggage for a while, so keep at least what you might need in a bag with you. You can always leave it at bell services for the day if you want some access to it but don't want to lug it all over the place. We would do a split again without hesitation.

Good idea to pack for the split!! And I'm glad to hear they handle the groceries too since I plan to order milk and a few other things.

I do them just about every trip but I drive down so it's a little easier since I don't have to do the transfer luggage part. I would suggest maybe doing packing cubes and pack everything for the first trip in one set of cubes and the second half in another set. Then you only have to pull out the cubes and not unpack the whole suitcase. I take two suitcases but again drive so it's not an issue. I do use an over the door toiletry bag which never gets unpacked. I just hang it on the hook on the bathroom door and work out of it, putting everything back in it when I'm done. That way the bathroom counters aren't full of stuff and I know I'm not going to forget anything in the transfer as I just grab the bag and pack it up. I carry things like my laptop, kindle, chargers, toiletry bag that are going to both resorts in a little carry on which fits on the handle of the bag for the resort. I never worry about being homeless for the day, I get up early and drive over to resort #2 and go ahead and check in. That way they know I'm there and a few times my room has actually been ready. I keep my bags in my car but you could have them transferred and do the same thing. After I check in, I just head off to whatever park I planned on doing that day. Sometimes when I get the text my room is ready I head back right then, more often than not I head back later when I'm ready to. They will not deliver your bags to your room until you are in the room, you have to call from the room for them to bring them up. I always call down just before I leave resort #1 and tell them I'm checking out, even if I've received the folio via email already.

I need to know more about these cubes! Can you post a link to exactly what they are? I always do an over the door shoe holder as a toiletry holder. Is that what you do to?
I love split stays (we started out doing a 2 resort split between Poly and BC and it's evolved to the point that we have an upcoming 7 resort split - yes we are nuts - over 14 nights - but keep in mind that we've already stayed at most of these resorts on previous trips).

We've sort of learned to live out of our suitcases while on vacation, so packing and unpacking isn't that big of a deal to us.

Like the previous poster, we use an over the door toiletry bag. We're a family of 4 (father, wife, son, daugther) and we pack 2 suitcases, one for the males and one for the females. We have 3 laundry bags (1 for whites, and 2 for colors). Once we start to run out of clean clothes, we do a wash.

At WDW we are always car-less so, for transfers, we either use bell services to move our luggage betwen resorts (for example, if we're going to a park) or we take an Uber (and store our bags with bell services at the new resort if our rooms aren't yet ready). When we've used bell services to move our luggage between resorts, we operate under the assumption that we can't count on our bags being at the new resort until 5 pm. So, in that case, we pack swim suits in our day bags (as we usually arrive at the new resort by no later than 3 pm and often want to go to the pool right away).

As others have noted, Disney does not recognize split stays, so, for example, if you book a dining plan, the credits must be used by midnight of the day you check out of that resort (unused dining plan credits will not transfer over to the second resort).

Split stays sound like a pain but we find them to be a net convenience because, given how huge WDW is, they allow us to plan a vacation where our resort is always close to whatever park we plan to visit on a particular day. The same goes for our ADRs. In addition, we get to experience more than one resort, which, for us is a lot of fun.

I'm dying to know what your 7 resorts are! Please share:)

I need to know more about these cubes! Can you post a link to exactly what they are? I always do an over the door shoe holder as a toiletry holder. Is that what you do to?

I'm dying to know what your 7 resorts are! Please share:)

I don't use the packing cubes as I don't need them but lots of people swear by them. http://www.ebags.com/hproduct/ebags...eACbHr7yST-oVXbtVaiRnbIGuq6Xwlp-D2BoC9zLw_wcB

I use a toiletry bag made for that purpose something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Ensign-Peak-Hanging-Toiletry-Bag/dp/B000IG8FJY. We actually own a number of them. We keep one joint one packed at all times in case both my honey and I go somewhere together, then my honey has a smaller one that stays packed at all times with just his stuff and I have both a smaller and a larger one both packed at all times just for me. Depends on how long a trip I'm taking and where I'm going as to which one I take.

We just confirmed a split stay renting dvc points at AK and Poly. Curious - since Disney doesn't recognize it as a split stay, do we get new magic bands for the second part or are both stays on one? I haven't been to Disney in about 8 years so this is all new to me.

Love that idea to pack separate suitcases! We're flying SW so definitely could do this. We're splitting Poly villas with AoA Cars suite this spring... Super excited!

We just confirmed a split stay renting dvc points at AK and Poly. Curious - since Disney doesn't recognize it as a split stay, do we get new magic bands for the second part or are both stays on one? I haven't been to Disney in about 8 years so this is all new to me.
Two sets

My next trip is a split stay. Pop for 5 nights, Coronado for 2 nights and AKL for 2 nights. I specifically went with a split stay this time because I wanted the forced downtime of having to change resorts. Otherwise my Disney schedule is 6am to midnight everyday and that is hard on me, but it is just how I function at Disney.

My next trip is a split stay. Pop for 5 nights, Coronado for 2 nights and AKL for 2 nights. I specifically went with a split stay this time because I wanted the forced downtime of having to change resorts. Otherwise my Disney schedule is 6am to midnight everyday and that is hard on me, but it is just how I function at Disney.

One at every level! It sounds like a great trip:)

I did a split stay once (at Poly and BCV over Christmas!) and it was fine. We gave our big luggage to bell services at Poly to transfer and took a small bag with us in the morning to check in at BCV. We took the monorail and walked through Epcot to get to BCV then, but would just spring for a taxi now. We were prepared to have bell services at BCV keep our little bag while we headed back to Epcot and then grab the bag at check in in the afternoon...but we were able to check into our studio that morning before noon. We were prepared to have our big bags arrive via bell service transfer that night, but they were in by late afternoon. And this was on one of the busiest days of the year.

I'd do a split stay again without hesitation. It just takes a little pre-planning around packing and transport to/from resorts. In fact, I'm thinking very seriously about a split stay this summer between a few nights at CSR and some at GF or CR.

We have done split stays on a couple of occasions and agree with everything posted. WDW makes the transfer easy. The only thing I might add is to do the moderate first then the deluxe, which it sounds like you are doing. I have heard stories from folks that went the other way and it was disappointing.

I'm dying to know what your 7 resorts are! Please share:)[/QUOTE]

POR
CR
BWI
WL
POLY
BC
AKL

We're staying 2 nights at each resort (only two of them, CR and BWI, are new to us as we've had previous stays at all of the other resorts).

All of our park days and ADRs are planned based on where we're staying (the idea is to use buses as little as humanly possible). The same goes with night time entertainment (for example, we plan to see Wishes when we're at CR, Illuminations when we're at BC, and Fantasmic when we're at BWI).

Like I said, most people would consider us crazy (even I question my sanity sometimes) but, as a veteran of split stays, I consider this trip do-able (and the planning aspect doesn't bother me because I'm an OCD plan-a-holic).

My biggest worry with the degree of complexity of such a trip is how that increases the odds of Murphy's Law screwing something up at some point.

For example, even though I've never had any problems with bell services' luggage transfer, when you have 6 transfers between 7 resorts, there's definately a chance, that at some point, something could get lost (that being said, we'll probably use Uber for at least a couple of our transfers, but even then, if our room is not ready, we'll still need to leave the luggage with bell services at the new resort and there's always a chance something could still get lost in that situation).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter