The Fixer and The Cookmaster:major pixie dust*IT'S FINISHED*EPILOGUE UP!!#389

How you treat people really does come back to you, for better or for worse. A kind word can really make someone's day.

And I loved your comment about baseball. As a little boy, I watched the Braves every day on TBS. Dale Murphy was my childhood hero. About 11 years ago I got the opportunity to meet him after his playing days at an event for my alma mater's booster club even though he didn't attend my alma mater. He does belong to the church that owns my alma mater, so I'd heard him speak at youth functions before, but never got a chance to meet him, so that was neat. He's a very nice guy.

Jamal! Thank you for your beautiful words of wisdom! I knew I liked ya' from the get go. This entry is yet another reason why. Your love and warmth clearly rivals that of the cookmaster, you sweet pea. I love your boys. Their lil' faces with your cute Dh at the big game are precious. Keep on rollin', girl. ANd thanks for noticing I was MIA. I was, or I would certianly have read this the moment it got posted! Well done, and look at my siggie, baby. Lemon drops. Lemon DROPS! and wishes. august.....

Jamal, you are awesome. :cloud9: I have a little block painted with the words "Be kind." It's hard for me sometimes. But I keep that little block on my kitchen windowsill where I see it all the time, and it helps.

You are so right about the CM's. Even when I've encountered a less than enthusiastic one (not often!!) it helps to wonder what crazy-bones, out-of- control vacation nazi they may have just had to deal with.

Off to skip with my baby for a few!

horsegirl said:
Jamal! Thank you for your beautiful words of wisdom! I knew I liked ya' from the get go. This entry is yet another reason why. Your love and warmth clearly rivals that of the cookmaster, you sweet pea. I love your boys. Their lil' faces with your cute Dh at the big game are precious. Keep on rollin', girl. ANd thanks for noticing I was MIA. I was, or I would certianly have read this the moment it got posted! Well done, and look at my siggie, baby. Lemon drops. Lemon DROPS! and wishes. august.....

Oh, yes ma'am I noticed your siggie and it made me want to get on a plane, go to CA Grill, and soak one in right now!. Can I meet you when you go? My Silver Bullet minivan might make it ;)

kpk89 said:
Jamal, you are awesome. :cloud9: I have a little block painted with the words "Be kind." It's hard for me sometimes. But I keep that little block on my kitchen windowsill where I see it all the time, and it helps.

You are so right about the CM's. Even when I've encountered a less than enthusiastic one (not often!!) it helps to wonder what crazy-bones, out-of- control vacation nazi they may have just had to deal with.

Off to skip with my baby for a few!

Thanks Kim. Keep the Disney feedback coming, too.

No skipping in the rain here. DS6 asked me what 'drab' meant this morning and I said "Look outside!"

Sleeping Jedi Beauty said:
How you treat people really does come back to you, for better or for worse. A kind word can really make someone's day.

And I loved your comment about baseball. As a little boy, I watched the Braves every day on TBS. Dale Murphy was my childhood hero. About 11 years ago I got the opportunity to meet him after his playing days at an event for my alma mater's booster club even though he didn't attend my alma mater. He does belong to the church that owns my alma mater, so I'd heard him speak at youth functions before, but never got a chance to meet him, so that was neat. He's a very nice guy.

Be still my heart.....remembering Dale at the plate ready to knock one out of the park!

Part 12, Day 6, Tuesday, March 28

Day six had me a bit concerned throughout the trip-planning season. Our family had agreed to take a break-from-the-parks day. We’ve never done this before, so I worried we’d long for the Castle turrets or end up restless after too much resting. I was wrong. While the Gatelatches had a full MGM day ahead of them (for their next to the last day in the World…stop talking about it! I get sad thinking about it on this day!), the Fixers had some rest on the horizon.

So we slept in. For me, that meant rolling out of my cozy bed at around 7:30. I tried to s-n-e-a-k up to the Concierge lounge with my trip report notes and USA Today, but E can smell breakfast time a mile away and wasn’t about to let me go alone. He found me in the bathroom: Mommy, is breakfast open? He started asking this when he was about three and began the practice of eating three or four courses every day for breakfast. I finally started announcing “Breakfast is closed.” So now, he often wakes me by whispering in my ear: is breakfast open? That’s usually followed by tales of waiting forever and starving to death. I told him to wait one quiet minute and he could go with me. Guess what? He fell back asleep, proving miracles DO happen at Disney.

I went into the lounge at 8:15 and was stunned! STUNNED, I tell you! “They” (for TGM fans) were there in droves. What were all those people doing in there getting their first cup of coffee as lines were forming at the park gates? For the second time this trip, (see post #39) I was flummoxed. Not only was the lounge full, I had my first sighting of a bathrobe on another guest. A lady (?) walked in, got her coffee, perused the pastry section, grabbed a few plates, found a service tray, filled it, and strolled back to her room! I sooo wanted to Fix this wayward soul but was in no mood for an uphill battle. Besides, as the CookMaster says, she wouldn’t ‘receive’ me. That’s the truth. But if I had spoken to her, I would have said: Excuse me. There are over 100 rooms in this building. Do you honestly think this lounge would have the same community, good morning, we’re on vacation, restaurant-ish feel if every person in here wore their pajamas or robes in here? This is not a ladies’ spa where we await our facials. Nor is it your kitchen counter. Do you think that robe was provided for you to wear to breakfast? Is it that difficult to pull on a t-shirt and shorts? Because the rest of us may not look like Cinderella at the ball here, but we are wearing public clothing. Except you, because you are special. Honestly, I’d rather see a room full of bathing suits than bed-and-bath-wear.

OK, there’s my rant. That felt so good. Especially since I have a potentially huge cyber-audience.

I finally found a seat on the third floor. I settled in with my paper and breakfast. The Early Show was on the TV, so I halfway watched the news. Within five minutes, I saw a girl—about age 7—enter the lounge. I didn’t make eye contact with her but she came over to the couch and sat RIGHT next to me on the floor. She and her three boxes of Fruit Loops were in my space. I mean, you couldn’t have slipped a piece of paper between us. I gave her a look and went on with my coffee and paper. I hoped she wasn’t interested in a lasting relationship. About that time her brother sat down next to her with his five boxes of Fruit Loops. We were very cozy. DH later said she must have needed attention; I did feel sorry for her. Finally their dad walked in, went straight to the TV, and searched for the remote to change the channel! What am I, glass? His wife entered, saw the scene, and said, “This lady was watching that.” Clueless Dolt Dad said, “Oh, I thought she was reading the paper.” Apparently I was still glass at this point. Voiceless glass. I spoke, since they had sort of addressed (?) me, “It’s OK. Change it.” He didn’t, though, because his wife was shooting him daggers. Wife said, “Let’s go downstairs so the kids can watch TV.” Because, of course, they could never eat all those Fruit Loops without TV. They were almost finished eating and had not said a word about TV. I just kept my mouth shut (stop laughing, CookMaster!) and slurped my coffee…

About 9:15 DH and the boys joined me in the lounge. I was so glad we had slept in this mid-trip day! Apparently everyone needed it.

With our tanks full, it was time to consider our options. Actually, I was the only one with options because the boys had a fishing excursion planned! Should I go?

DH had heard about the fishing excursions about a week before our trip.
He called me from the office one day: Hey, did you know we could get a private fishing trip on the lake by the Polynesian?
Me: Hey yourself. Of course I knew that. Why did you hire me as trip planner?
DH: Wellllll, um, the boys love to fish and you know I’ve been promising E we’d go soon and, well, can we, um, think about it and see how much it costs?
I love it when he’s humble and begs and recognizes my authority in trip-planning.
Me: OK, I’ll call right now.

Of course I booked it. You should consider it, too. For around $200 (yes, more $$$) a B.A.S.S. (stands for We Will Make Sure You Catch A Lot Of Fish If You Pay Us To Take You On Our Boats) guide picks up your party at the Poly (or other watered resort). The guides have rods, bait, snacks (E’s favorite part) drinks (A’s favorite part), a boat, and knowledge to make you an expert in no time. They have excursions at 7:00, 10:30, and 1:30 most days, but you do have to reserve it ahead of time.

My family acted like they really wanted me to join them. It was a beautiful day on Seven Seas Lagoon so I sunscreened and headed to the dock. Our guide, Dave, picked us up right on time. He said his morning outing had been very successful so he knew just where to find the fish. He had rods, shiners (I think that’s what he called the little bait fish E liked to watch swim), and a net. He was so friendly and helpful, too! He told us he had been doing this for 11 years. He said he first applied to be a lifeguard at Disney and listed fishing as a hobby. Well, they hired him as a guide and he’s been there ever since. He’s certain it’s ‘the hardest job in the world to quit’ and still enjoys meeting guests and giving them a successful fishing experience. I highly recommend him!

We anchored just off the Wedding Pavilion and Dave cast our lines. Ninety seconds later I felt a tug and brought in the first fish! Since it’s a catch-and-release experience, we snapped some pictures, looked the fish over, and set him back in his habitat. After that, I was the One-Fish- Expert. I proceeded to coach on casting, reeling, bait, and anything else I had learned in my vast success. They were so glad they had encouraged me to join them. When everyone but dismal A had caught at least one fish (about 30 minutes!), Dave suggested we move to Bay Lake behind the Contemporary.

DSC00220.jpg

We had even more success there with everyone catching at least three fish.

DSC00236.jpg

The lake levels were low as they have been for months in the extended Florida drought. Dave said if they got much lower, Disney would begin pumping water in. I have no idea what that means, but it sounds expensive.

It was fun to view the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge from a new vantage point. We were back in that no-ferry area past Discovery Island. DH and I remembered touring Discovery Island on our honeymoon 18 looooong years ago. We also watched a few parasailors overhead; this interrupted A’s favorite pastime of emptying his three Gatorade byproducts off the back of the boat. How dare they?

Dave also had stories (because of course I asked) of celebrities he’s guided. He told us Larry Bird (NBA for our basketball-clueless readers) has the biggest hands he’s ever seen. You don’t end a handshake with LB; you back away from it. He couldn’t get over that one! He had just guided Peyton and Eli Manning (NFL quarterback brothers for our football-challenged readers) in a celebrity sports competition. He said both were great guys, excellent QBs, and l-o-u-s-y fishermen. Hmmm. This means I have talent over two NFL quarterbacks, doesn’t it?

All in all, the 3 hours with Dave were well worth our time.

DSC00240.jpg

For a day of rest, this was a very relaxing activity that kept us together, showed us some Disney finest, and gave us some Florida sunshine. We were, of course, ready for naps when it ended. We also missed the Gatelatches and wondered if they were back from MGM. We thanked Dave and wished him well on his 1:30 outing. He’s a fine man and does fishing and Disney proud.

Up Next: Whispering Canyon, Day 7, and another Cast Member meeting.

He had just guided Peyton and Eli Manning (NFL quarterback brothers for our football-challenged readers) in a celebrity sports competition. He said both were great guys, excellent QBs, and l-o-u-s-y fishermen. Hmmm. This means I have talent over two NFL quarterbacks, doesn’t it?
Given Eli Manning's actions when he was drafted, I'd say you've got him beat in the class department as well as the fishing department.

Awesome Jamal. Who knew you could fish at the Dis and it'd be fun! How awesome! Thanks for this very informative TR! Your kids look like they had a blast! (Hubby too!)

Wow! what a great idea! And I can't believe that man thought you were glass! Bet he's home right now reading your trip reports and kicking himself! :thumbsup2

Jamal - Another great installment. Drag it out cause I don't go back till December.

I didn't realize that I wasn't supposed to wear my my cold cream facial, curlers, and fuzzy high heeled slippers to the lounge. Dang it, if it wasn't for this board and Jerry Springer I would just be a hick.

BTW, what exactly was your son doing off the back of the boat? My sons think they have to do that to all the trees in our yard. Gotta get some indoor plumbing. Maybe next year. :rotfl:

Ahahahaaaaaaaa! Your description of the concierge was a riot! I know what you mean about the entitlement of some folks, geesh!

Was your fishing guide that fella on the planning video with lazy Dave? had to be him, ws it?

Keep em coming Jamal. Where have you been, you know at that other thread? Come back and play!!!!

What, no magical fishing excusion character meet? :rotfl2: jk, of course. Great installment as usual Jamal.

Grammyof2 said:
Jamal - Another great installment. Drag it out cause I don't go back till December.

I didn't realize that I wasn't supposed to wear my my cold cream facial, curlers, and fuzzy high heeled slippers to the lounge. Dang it, if it wasn't for this board and Jerry Springer I would just be a hick.

BTW, what exactly was your son doing off the back of the boat? My sons think they have to do that to all the trees in our yard. Gotta get some indoor plumbing. Maybe next year. :rotfl:

Grammy, YOU can wear whatever you want in the lounge. I'd even let you catch Jerry Springer. It's the classless curiosities that leave me :confused3

I am wy behind so forgive this late post. . . . I am so excited at seeing your pictures with Dave in them! Dave was our guide for our fishing excursion a few years ago. He was so fantastic. My boys still talk about Dave!

tictoc said:
I am wy behind so forgive this late post. . . . I am so excited at seeing your pictures with Dave in them! Dave was our guide for our fishing excursion a few years ago. He was so fantastic. My boys still talk about Dave!

Wasn't he great? If he's not in the planning video, he should be. I want to tell everone to request him. I'm sure others are good, too.

Thanks for reading. Much more to come!

I gave you a 36 hour window to put up another chapter. What happened? :smokin:

OKay I am going to get fired from work. I have been reading your posts all day and came to the end of the line. Where is the end........I must read more.
Great report. We are going for the first time and reading your report makes me wish that I was already there. :rotfl:

Grammyof2 said:
I gave you a 36 hour window to put up another chapter. What happened? :smokin:

Give me a few more, Grammy. I am up to my eyeballs in PTO and church, but my martyr pass expires soon.

Thanks luciloo and ENSOCK! Your comments fuel me to write more!

We're still on day 6 of 10 so come back. This stuff doesn't fly off the computer.

Jamal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter