The Final Frontier (An Alaska Trip Report - UPDATED 4/25)

I don't post all that often, but I've been reading your trip reports for years. I can't tell you how helpful you've been to my husband and I as as we've planned our own road trips. I was so happy to see that your family was finally able to complete your quest to reach all 50 states, and I can't wait to read about your adventures in Alaska!

:welcome: Thanks for jumping in and saying hi! It makes me glad to hear that these have helped in your planning. Don't be shy, stick around and chime in all you want!

I've never posted before, but wanted to finally said hi! I've read all your reports, and they're great! Really looking forward to this one.

:welcome: Lauren! Thanks for jumping in. It's more fun when people are commenting/making fun of the TR.

I used to tell them that they'd be jealous because they'd all quit and I'd get all the overtime!

:rotfl2:That'll teach 'em!

I missed the sprint. Didn't even know it was happening until it was over.

That was probably the perfect length of race for me.

I used to root for McLaren. Ayrton Senna's team. It pains me to see how far Williams has fallen. They used to win championships (1980, 1982, 1987, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997). Now they're also-rans.
Alpine, huh? Interesting choice, for sure, although I'd love to see Alonso do well. 7th last week was a good finish, I thought. And he's been in the points most races. My loyalties in F1 are pretty fluid. It changes from race to race. Although... I'd like to see a Ferrari win again.

I'm pretty sure Dave picked McLaren because he thinks their cars are cool. Not sure why Scotty picked Alpine.

Is this you if Ferrari wins again?

RapidFavoriteFrenchbulldog-size_restricted.gif

That's pretty mature of them, I think.

It might be the Philadelphia sports fan in them. Incapable of cheering for a dominating champion.

I'm pretty sure Dave picked McLaren because he thinks their cars are cool. Not sure why Scotty picked Alpine.
Because of the cool pronounciation?
Is this you if Ferrari wins again?

RapidFavoriteFrenchbulldog-size_restricted.gif
Nah. I'm only moderately into F1. I'm more into Indycar. Better racing.
It might be the Philadelphia sports fan in them. Incapable of cheering for a dominating champion.
Ah. Because said "dominating champion" is never a Phillie team. Understood.

Heck, you're always welcome to skim as much of this garbage as you'd like! I know I drone on way too long at times.

Then I know I'm in good company!
I wouldn't mind winning the Masters one again. The odds are so much worse now, though.

With such ease of entering, I'd say yes.
You have definitely achieved Gold Star Status among frequent readers.
Oh wow! Go me!
The kids are a bit more adventurous than I am. Well, the older ones. I'll happily eat my carrots and broccoli...as long as they're cooked.

Otherwise, I can't help it if it all tastes terrible.
Broccoli is not a favorite unless cooked juuuuuust right. Carrots! Yummo.

Because of the cool pronounciation?

Who knows? It's as good a reason as any.

Nah. I'm only moderately into F1. I'm more into Indycar. Better racing.

I'll take your word for it. I seem to enjoy movies about car racing better than the sport itself.

Ah. Because said "dominating champion" is never a Phillie team. Understood.

Exactly. We aren't allowed to have nice things here.

With such ease of entering, I'd say yes.

Sigh...at least I got to go once.

Broccoli is not a favorite unless cooked juuuuuust right. Carrots! Yummo.

I think it's kind of funny that one of the few veggies I actually like is one of the more famous ones for being universally hated.

Chapter 1: Welcome to A Rink and a Dink

Our original 2020 Alaska Adventure was meant to be a big expensive blowout celebration of both the family completing the 50-state quest and Sarah’s graduation from high school. It included flights to 3 separate destinations, a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Seward exploring the Inside Passage, an 11-day driving tour on land and visits to 4 national parks.

For 2021, I was able to salvage most of that. The cruise was a no-go, which left me with a large credit with Royal Caribbean that I’m still working on figuring out how to use so I don’t lose that deposit. First world problems. But the rest of the plan stayed fairly intact, and I was able to use a lot of the credits and money I’d spent on 2020 reservations to take care of this trip. So that was certainly a blessing.

Our departure date was Tuesday, June 29. It’s never easy getting 6 people and their luggage on a plane. Especially when you’re a little rusty at the whole traveling thing.

Right off the bat, I have to give my wife a huge shout-out for her packing skills. She has a foolproof system that is designed to minimize the amount of luggage we take with us, and therefore by extension minimize the airline luggage fees we are forced to pay. Since we were traveling for almost 2 weeks, we were never going to avoid them altogether, but you do what you can. Alaska was a bit more challenging because it doesn’t fit the typical warm weather climate of most summer destinations. We had to be prepared for almost any kind of weather situation—the forecasts called for temperatures between 40F – 70F (4 – 21C) and just about any combination you could think of with rain, sun, clouds, and wind, not to mention a couple of boat trips that could feel even colder.

Julie’s system involves piles, plastic bags and post-it notes. She writes the planned activities for each day of the trip on a post-it note and then sticks it to the wall in the upstairs hallway. Everyone chooses some clothing for the day (hopefully appropriate for that day’s activity) and then they add their clothes to the pile. Then Julie takes the pile and compresses it into a gallon-size plastic bag (like you’d use for food in the freezer) and sticks the post-it note on the bag. She’ll try and group a few consecutive days’ bags into one bag in the hopes of us having to move fewer bags into the hotel rooms as we move throughout the vacation.

AM-JKLUcPZuEruk1fjSXZM0rtgB4a_J0VcgZ9kkGHsiqz-iMcLnj1KBuVySGphcCOCjGeX1f1L-VdyrWK0WQtfeToFXDAbVp2kdIbFKnmpydH4c8Y1KU3pEU-UwFhpGD07mhnAwKzFGv5pEcG-0w8gkJSSbVxQ=w1128-h846-no

We had one bag packed with air mattresses and cool-weather jackets. We tried to cut down on clothing by planning to rotate through a few pairs of jeans and sweatshirts (per person—do I really need to spell that out for you?) throughout the trip. But we still ended up packing 4 bags, plus carry-ons. Jeans and sweatshirts and jackets take up a lot of room no matter what you do.

It was going to be a long day. Not only did we have a great distance to travel, but it was going to be covered in 3 separate flights. And because airlines are terrible, we also had to suffer through the constant juggling of schedules right up to our departure date before we actually knew what time we were leaving. It’s gotten to the point where the airlines are basically saying if you want the cheapest flight, you’re not going to get any sleep. That’s the deal.

Well, I have 4 kids. I haven’t had any sleep in 20 years. So there.

We left our home in Delaware at 4:30 in the morning and headed for Philadelphia International Airport. My father was very gracious to drive us to the airport so we didn’t have to pay for long-term parking, even though he was taking care of my mother at home who had undergone a recent hip replacement. I really did win the lottery when it came to family members.

At a surprisingly busy airport (see above comment about when the cheap flights are), we checked our bags and donned our masks and did the TSA Tango, leaving us with roughly 45 minutes to departure.

Oops. Check that. More like 90 minutes, as the flight was already delayed. We’re off to a good start.

We were flying Alaska Airlines for the very first time, and overall our experience with them was…fine. It didn’t seem any better or worse than any other airline. Besides the flight delay, the only other hiccup was that when I checked in and printed our boarding passes, they’d put Dave in a seat by himself on the second leg, from Seattle to Juneau. I know for certain when I’d bought the tickets and selected our seats, I’d placed us in rows of three, one behind the other. And yet, there was his seat assignment, across the aisle with strangers. Someday I’ll understand why airlines like to give you the illusion of choosing your seats if they have no intention of actually letting you sit in them.

So that issue was yet to be worked out. Not a deal-breaker, by any means.

We grabbed some breakfast at a Dunkin’ Donuts in the airport and eventually our plane arrived with no further delays.

AM-JKLW1_Y5kgZlJVv7U0WKu25FP9DtsPQAAw9SkP9h7FPETJVMjbl_5TmbYbls_4iktJ2TwCxY9wSJR3chsS11H5og11SyMmyPqqOCVOqMFLK9_AzSWzEZ09uo81gaZPipSkggF6fb93dXMjX752n6e_9Wnvw=w1128-h846-no

It was a 5-hour flight from Philadelphia to Seattle. I enjoy flying to Seattle, as the approach is one of the prettiest in the country.

AM-JKLXifDbkO6IldN64M_7jaQxT8mc9KQN6lVm3E90jXJX55v3l7Xdwqz8qi65qbdrAoirus1Ii8cN6WluRR6ix8z2R2s7MWJVWpHAH7dGl04DeMTyOlKRcbUYbI1SmFv05oupFrENvZvPQQBiOD17MvnMjmw=w1128-h846-no

I managed to get a nice view of the downtown area on our approach as well. You can see the Space Needle, the Chihuly Sculpture Garden, the arena where the Seattle Kraken will play, a Frank Gehry monstrosity, and even the monorail tracks if you look hard enough.

AM-JKLUHly_-tRGU4n8loaia3SkxRVGMc9f4UVwP3HIm9ZMSYoUz08k2sz8dZtAKfh-hR2Iwq33rDh_-7hj0oo-BiFvQBDqzXm4_WQ1GIf0OEDtSRiieLlHu1XVI10bgxeA2Gt7oKx6tcU-Ldc4x5PqiwRZO2A=w1128-h846-no

In Seattle, job #1 was finding lunch. And our departure gate. We’d arrived at gate N7, in the north satellite building. Our new gate was announced as C3, in the main building. This meant we had to figure out how to find the underground tram that shuttled passengers between terminal buildings. Here’s a map of the aiport.

We finally got to the main terminal building and dodged passengers this way and that to arrive at gate 3, which was housing passengers for a flight to San Diego.

My ticket still read Juneau, so this appeared to be a problem. After some amateur sleuthing, we found that our gate had already been changed…to D6. So at least it was another long walk.

We ended up grabbing some overpriced airport McDonald’s burgers for lunch and found gate D6 without further incident.

I tried asking the gate clerk if we could figure out a way to switch Dave’s seat so he could sit with the rest of us, but she was unable to do anything for me. Once we’d boarded the plane, we found a nice old lady sitting in one of our rows. We asked her if she would be kind enough to switch seats so Dave could sit with us, and she seemed very nice and agreeable.

Until a young woman came up and asked why these people were sitting in her seat.

After several minutes of confusion, it turned out that the old lady had sat in the wrong seat to begin with, and the young woman was the one we’d really wanted to switch with. Thankfully, it all worked out in the end, and they didn’t really care which seat they had since they were all aisle seats.

I spent my time on our flights reading a book or watching some TV episodes I’d downloaded. I was watching For All Mankind from Apple TV+, and I really have enjoyed that one. It’s an alternate history show about what it would have been like if the Russians had landed on the moon first.

The flight to Juneau was full of amazing scenery. It was almost as if the approach to Seattle was just the appetizer. We flew up along the Inside Passage, and it was nothing but snow-capped mountain peaks and glacial bays and fjords the whole way. This was taken just north of Vancouver, I believe.

AM-JKLVI3bGKSNJ2FLNRRtKszoqUhgyYCW1tLnJMHsnQ7GrmTcjpA-IYP35LjpCGy5giPYoqvRYY71J3zyrmYaoZIJtkKyDxhtzpji0iud3NF42H314zhYCxw7MffxMfvRZEc8V06mgOnHixamNJuClSNSTHwg=w1128-h846-no

When we landed in Juneau, we stayed aboard the plane (first time I’ve done that for a layover). Technically, we were now in Alaska, but according to family rules, we couldn’t cross the state off the list yet. The rule states that our feet have to touch the soil of the state in order for it to count as an official visit. This rule was put in place expressly to prohibit counting airport layovers.

At this point, it was approximately 7:00 p.m. East Coast time (3:00 p.m. Alaska time), so we’d already been awake and traveling for 15 hours and still had one more flight to go. This one was just a short little puddle jump to the town of Gustavus, AK.

You’ll be forgiven if you’ve never heard of Gustavus. Gustavus (Gus-stay-vus) is a town of roughly 500 year-round residents on the outskirts of Glacier Bay National Park. During the summer months, it is serviced by one Alaska Airlines flight per day. Otherwise, you can only arrive via small plane or boat.

Honestly, it was fun to fly there. It felt like a new type of adventure, going where relatively few people dare to tread. If you’ve ever landed on the short runway at Chicago’s Midway airport, it was a similar experience here as we hit the ground and the pilot immediately jammed on the brakes and hit full flaps to avoid careening off the edge of the runway.

We taxied over to the “terminal building”. They wheeled out some stairs and we climbed down onto the runway to de-plane.

AM-JKLVcDAn3M10klHOkeKPXf4iLap8qFGU0D9JDoxwgyPIj9Bm0o08IK1VDwjID13L2Sx2ZlhSQJx-e44Z8bvgV5H9RjSSVIWmaihLigJq5VU5_OxqIPRIOx-_QNuPZDXXGtldStu9wIMu5Dh0PRgitChE2Lg=w1128-h846-no

AM-JKLU0Wylx3wpBDSHhgcxmZMULlx0yBOvwjBLAiOe1nEtvZPQI7hbkYC21OyxqQhLakKAHTTIFAvCsYe4RsFERyE4QPDHjX7WHfvOwWilVaLrWuu8JxcyaapMB2b1h2TCksELCwG5AmbINXJHPNno5pY6EjA=w1128-h846-no

We got a kick out of how tiny the airport was. There was exactly one building, which housed the Alaska Airlines offices. The baggage claim was basically a shed with a door on either end.

AM-JKLU0nAs09Xkxp7AKYqFtN3-CErVG8GNnf744g01puQ265vEIzm4lalEEtrG5OxkWgpgPvv3KRmzjRFs-NLPDiVUioLZ3PkfYg7YHSQ5nfRC7L66qKgGf569Tb0TDA3HV4OXV0hMDAwPETzGW77s9tpoSEg=w1128-h846-no

I made a comment about a “rinky-dink” airport, and apparently Drew had never heard that expression before, because he was telling anyone who would listen that Dad called the airport a “rink and a dink”.

The Glacier Bay Lodge is the only place to stay on park property, and they run a shuttle to and from the airport. The driver was there waiting for us (and most of the other airplane passengers) and happy to help us load our luggage onto the bus. It was nothing fancy, just a regular old school bus.

Most visitors to Glacier Bay arrive via cruise ship, and never leave the ship as they cruise the waters of the bay for the day before moving on. If you want to spend more time (or if there are no cruises running), then finding your own way to Gustavus and staying here or in a mom-and-pop inn are the only real options.

The driver gave us the nickel tour of the town of Gustavus, pointing out the one (1) intersection, known locally as “4 corners”. That’s where the one (1) gas station and one (1) restaurant are located as well. He said there were two places to get groceries and supplies. One was a general store attached to the gas station, and the other was run by a family by the name of Cosh who would make a Costco run every so often and then re-sell their purchases to the residents. So it was called the “Coshco”.

One nice thing about flying into a remote location is that most things are very informal. As we drove further down the road, we took a bend and headed toward the national park. As we entered the park property, the bus driver pointed out the sign. Someone asked if he could stop for a photo, and he said, “Sure! No problem!” So he pulled the bus over and we all piled out.

And our feet officially touched Alaskan soil.

That was it! Family history was made on this remote spot in Gustavus, Alaska.

AM-JKLW603-5hSCDc8nYQ0tB52nFX0B4OdlG33BARg-VLF8avJ_htnOSHv07IUv8NqlCCZneonvDCUZ0FbJynWNgCx7iIT63ICgJkKc8CBU6IPMCx9oL5u7Qk8sxsFwy5if1KT1AfHapsJ0hobmgTbdWJF6wTQ=w1128-h846-no

We’re done! Thanks for reading. You guys are the best. In conclusion, I—

(checks earpiece)

Oh, come on.

(checks earpiece again)

Sigh. I’ve been informed that the DISBoard Trip Report bylaws state that I must report upon the entire trip, not just a tiny portion of it. So apparently I have to keep going. Believe me, I’m as disappointed as you are. I thought I was going to knock this thing out in one chapter.

Well, we arrived at the lodge where we were told that they had our room keys ready for us and we just needed to give our last names to the workers out front. And there was only one restaurant on property, and it was reservation only.

So we immediately split up—I got in the line for the room keys and Julie went inside to get a dinner reservation. As we milled around waiting for Julie, I took a photo of our luxury airport shuttle.

AM-JKLV62xfaUgdQfV_W5C7F9tX8HMiLhhn_v4qwJgJ7nxFfymf0R-HG_VuocjA35tqQDMzM5b6FKbgZYOESdpc_kKiymyTIpvMFKinIoQV_YOt3Z-xPPnIUP7enI0oGyAD4JTG5JSL7VhZVJcOFn-3pVI0ydw=w1128-h846-no

Hey, it got the job done.

Julie came back with bad news. They couldn’t seat us in the restaurant until 7:50 p.m. (We’d arrived at the lodge at roughly 5:00 p.m. or so.)

This was going to be a rough evening. We were all tired and hungry and working on some serious jetlag. We moved our bags to our rooms and unpacked for the night.

Yes, I said rooms. In an Oblivious Family first, I had actually reserved two hotel rooms for our family, which meant everyone would have an actual bed to sleep on. I know, I’m getting soft in my old age.

Actually, I booked the boat tour of the national park at the same time, so I had to list everyone and couldn’t go with my usual trick of forgetting a couple of kids so I only had to book one room. Disney gets me that way, too.

We took some time to wander the grounds of the lodge. We took a short trail down to the edge of the bay in Bartlett’s Cove.

AM-JKLXa90o5gKG66NrWDjAgacVn-lrBlzci2ZFUhYGiPcRnRRojctI51SNATIOrWGZrookE-BURNyomcePq3W49-K4nu_WoFB50z1o6fASpmujcWWRD9gCbB181YBRvSKdEWzR-XrghrrCd5MBDvpo9IPzmHA=w1128-h846-no

Nearby is a building where some of the native Alaskans and park rangers give talks and demonstrations to guests.

AM-JKLXjAbSfDhF1IED2pQ2NthbaACRjskrnTrPxKBgql5m9cr90gwIFx2i4_fU2J8QeOt_JsH18aC_-vHNr6gGMJkeQb5-xaIQtbWJAtp-vlUEG5asze-u4P7_xw-sqp1hLOaJh46bCSqn_YIk86bggaomxfA=w1504-h846-no

This is the main lodge building as it appears from the water. The guest rooms are in cabins to the left of this spot. Like most national park lodges, they’re rustic and spartan, but they’re fine. All we need are clean beds and a bathroom.

AM-JKLXG5yjle07P1oMS2m-QdRRWMG-TBMOKAkN3ItsERAWxM-kV0QZ03ZsqiIuXZDvCviEvXmuoG14rF-NPvz5oVhoTut4ZbgCUVn8alnSCvFLRHGJoetNBIlf9VcoXwbP5utdY86fQ1TU63WhfH8bYyEYnNw=w1128-h846-no

Along the path to the dock was a humpback whale skeleton. Sadly, this was the remains of a whale that was struck by a cruise ship several years ago. Her name was Snow.

AM-JKLUkTvHT83WWbVqS8rQz9DCYFOwsVeZsY_Ox_ryjfNEdcyAfdjp1g7OCdJsROwn202YIjvBnUgy7-l9mfDNn4b8QZMGDXPByYsYFVfCwMUmY1oOwqFaAceL-IvLhSoSizlqOn30atpNdkVm1xIBxSvRi0w=w1128-h846-no

When we’d wandered as much as we could, we walked back up to the main lodge building. We wandered the tiny gift shop for a bit, and then went upstairs to the national park visitor center (actually housed inside the lodge). That kept us busy for a good 7 minutes or so.

Finally, we looked at the restaurant and saw some open tables. So we decided to go back to the host desk and ask them to have mercy on us. At this point, we’d been awake for almost 20 hours. The long hours of Alaskan daylight meant our bodies truly had no clue what time it was. Thankfully, the staff took pity and seated us right away.

We mostly ordered cheeseburgers, which were nothing special but also not bad. There was no kids menu, so Drew was going to share a burger, but in the time it took to cook the food…

AM-JKLXaOe4VD3dvi34f-DFnyGTCdA3P2P_WX88dirdcGq02mlG1iEuer-Tf-G6oXLLo0E9UgM2ptGD28SlKF1heZ_ihWUQFPbCP_xwAPonCNrCGdN3jB1Y1w7glEsjDYzcePtLRXPdNSGMnCiNjTBdM2laLQQ=w635-h846-no

Looks a lot like my Trip Report readers, doesn’t he?

Coming Up Next:
Six passenger set sail that day for an eight hour tour. An eight hour tour.

But we still ended up packing 4 bags, plus carry-ons.

That's not bad for 6 people on a 2 week trip.

I managed to get a nice view of the downtown area on our approach as well.

Nice shot.

So at least it was another long walk.

They knew you were sitting for the entire day and wanted to ensure everyone got their exercise.

The baggage claim was basically a shed with a door on either end.

I think that is the first time I've seen anything like that.

Yes, I said rooms. In an Oblivious Family first, I had actually reserved two hotel rooms for our family, which meant everyone would have an actual bed to sleep on. I know, I’m getting soft in my old age.

You did say this was a big, expensive, blowout celebration......

:welcome: Thanks for jumping in and saying hi! It makes me glad to hear that these have helped in your planning. Don't be shy, stick around and chime in all you want!

It's always nice to have someone else do your research for you. Because of you, we've crossed the Mississippi River on a log bridge near Lake Itasca and experienced the beautiful scenery on Route 128 near Moab - and those are just the first two experiences that come to my mind. I'm sure there are many more.

We’re done! Thanks for reading. You guys are the best. In conclusion, I—

(checks earpiece)

Oh, come on.

(checks earpiece again)

Sigh. I’ve been informed that the DISBoard Trip Report bylaws state that I must report upon the entire trip, not just a tiny portion of it. So apparently I have to keep going. Believe me, I’m as disappointed as you are. I thought I was going to knock this thing out in one chapter.

I'm glad to hear you've decided to carry on... ;)

That's not bad for 6 people on a 2 week trip.

I felt like it was reasonable, especially with jackets and air mattresses taking up one bag.

Nice shot.

Thanks!

They knew you were sitting for the entire day and wanted to ensure everyone got their exercise.

That must be it. So considerate of their customers, those airlines.

I think that is the first time I've seen anything like that.

It definitely lived up to the "remote location" vibe.

You did say this was a big, expensive, blowout celebration......

This little Glacier Bay jaunt was the most expensive part of the trip.

I want to be like you when I grow up! Congratulations on your 50th state! So I assume you'll be going to Hawaii next summer?

Thanks! Hawaii will probably wait a couple more years. We have some kids graduating high school soon and the little guy only counts as a child at WDW for a couple more years...

It's always nice to have someone else do your research for you. Because of you, we've crossed the Mississippi River on a log bridge near Lake Itasca and experienced the beautiful scenery on Route 128 near Moab - and those are just the first two experiences that come to my mind. I'm sure there are many more.

That's really gratifying to hear. I'm glad this has been worthwhile enough to make some great experiences for you.

I'm glad to hear you've decided to carry on... ;)

Stupid DISboard bylaws.

Welcome to A Rink and a Dink
Interesting title... I'll get back to that in a bit.
The cruise was a no-go, which left me with a large credit with Royal Caribbean that I’m still working on figuring out how to use so I don’t lose that deposit.
I'm in a similar situation. (Although being solo, I'm sure my credit is nowhere near as much as yours. Still.. don't want to lose it.)
I have until the end of this year to go on a cruise that has to take place sometime in 2022. I'm still not thrilled with the idea of cruising right now.
I was able to use a lot of the credits and money I’d spent on 2020 reservations to take care of this trip.
That worked out well. :)
Especially when you’re a little rusty at the whole traveling thing.
What is this "traveling thing" that you speak of? Leaving your home State/Province? Is this even possible??
Right off the bat, I have to give my wife a huge shout-out for her packing skills. She has a foolproof system that is designed to minimize the amount of luggage we take with us
I saw that on the book of faces. Very smart indeed. Clearly the brains of the household.

Clearly.
the forecasts called for temperatures between 40F – 70F (4 – 21C)
I read that and... having lived in the North (although not quite that far North), I assumed that you were talking about one day.
We tried to cut down on clothing by planning to rotate through a few pairs of jeans and sweatshirts (per person—do I really need to spell that out for you?)
Yes you do. Would you mind going into detail.

Thanks.
And because airlines are terrible, we also had to suffer through the constant juggling of schedules right up to our departure date before we actually knew what time we were leaving.
Ugh.
:lmao:
My father was very gracious to drive us to the airport so we didn’t have to pay for long-term parking, even though he was taking care of my mother at home who had undergone a recent hip replacement.
Nice of him.
And... did I know your mom had her hip replaced? If I did, I forgot. (Doing a lot of that these days. :sad2:)
we checked our bags and donned our masks and did the TSA Tango, leaving us with roughly 45 minutes to departure.
Put your hands in the air! Woot!
(As they scan you with the magic "make you naked to be laughed at by TSA agents" machine.)
Oops. Check that. More like 90 minutes, as the flight was already delayed. We’re off to a good start.
wuff. Good thing it's a short day!

Not.
We were flying Alaska Airlines for the very first time, and overall our experience with them was…fine. It didn’t seem any better or worse than any other airline.
Meh. A tube with wings. It goes from here to there. With the margins being so small, there's just not much difference anymore.
Really like this shot of you guys. :goodvibes
I enjoy flying to Seattle, as the approach is one of the prettiest in the country.
Very. (Judging from the photo. I've been, but drove.)
and even the monorail tracks if you look hard enough.
There it is!

:rolleyes1
Here’s a map of the aiport.
Bigger than I thought!
After some amateur sleuthing, we found that our gate had already been changed…to D6. So at least it was another long walk.
Ugh. Right back the way you came and then some.
Once we’d boarded the plane, we found a nice old lady sitting in one of our rows. We asked her if she would be kind enough to switch seats so Dave could sit with us, and she seemed very nice and agreeable.
Sometimes people are nice. :)
Until a young woman came up and asked why these people were sitting in her seat.
Oh, no! :laughing:
I was watching For All Mankind from Apple TV+
That looks really good. Don't have Apple TV, though. Paying for enough services and have too much choices as it is.
Beautiful!
The rule states that our feet have to touch the soil of the state in order for it to count as an official visit.
::yes::
Familiar with your rule and use it myself. When Westjet decided that the best way to get to Florida was to fly north to NYC first... despite the layover, I do tell people I've never been. And I don't feel like I need to qualify that, either.
we’d already been awake and traveling for 15 hours and still had one more flight to go.
:faint:
You’ll be forgiven if you’ve never heard of Gustavus. Gustavus (Gus-stay-vus) is a town of roughly 500 year-round residents on the outskirts of Glacier Bay National Park. During the summer months, it is serviced by one Alaska Airlines flight per day. Otherwise, you can only arrive via small plane or boat.
I'm actually surprised that they don't have a smaller aircraft to make that hop. How full (or empty?) was the plane at that point?
Honestly, it was fun to fly there. It felt like a new type of adventure, going where relatively few people dare to tread. If you’ve ever landed on the short runway at Chicago’s Midway airport, it was a similar experience here as we hit the ground and the pilot immediately jammed on the brakes and hit full flaps to avoid careening off the edge of the runway.
::yes:: Not Midway, but have had the experience. <Thump> <ROAR!>
Asphalt... not soil...
Still... you must've been getting excited. :)
The baggage claim was basically a shed with a door on either end.
Love that! :laughing:
I made a comment about a “rinky-dink” airport, and apparently Drew had never heard that expression before, because he was telling anyone who would listen that Dad called the airport a “rink and a dink”.
:laughing:

However.
When I was a kid, that would have been part of a very normal conversation. A "dink" was a hockey term for maneuvering the puck around an opponent. "I dinked around the defenseman and scored with a slapshot." The term was fairly quickly (at least for me, maybe it had been used for decades already) changed to "deke" or "deeke". As in: "He tried to stop me, but I deeked him out. Then I deeked around the next guy and scored."
That’s where the one (1) gas station and one (1) restaurant are located as well.
That surprises me not at all.
And you're at the mercy of the restaurant. If it's not good... then you just don't go out. Ever. (Been there, did that for 3.5 years.)
Someone asked if he could stop for a photo, and he said, “Sure! No problem!” So he pulled the bus over and we all piled out.
And our feet officially touched Alaskan soil.

Woot!!! Congrats!!
Great shot and you all look pretty happy for having accomplished your goal.

But! When did Dave and Scotty get so tall?!?!??
Well, shoot.
Oh well. Have to take the bad with the good, I suppose.
And there was only one restaurant on property, and it was reservation only.
Sure. That way the cook knows exactly how long he can nap until.

Truthfully... that seems odd. Unless, maybe it was that busy to justify it?
Again. Not surprised by your conveyance at all. If anything, it looks a little too modern/clean.
Julie came back with bad news. They couldn’t seat us in the restaurant until 7:50 p.m.
:faint:
It's that credit you had. You were looking for places to spend it.
Actually, I booked the boat tour of the national park at the same time, so I had to list everyone and couldn’t go with my usual trick of forgetting a couple of kids so I only had to book one room. Disney gets me that way, too.
Nearby is a building where some of the native Alaskans and park rangers give talks and demonstrations to guests.
With requisite Totem pole too.
This is the main lodge building as it appears from the water.
Looks really nice. Must've been a nice view from the lodge, too.
Along the path to the dock was a humpback whale skeleton. Sadly, this was the remains of a whale that was struck by a cruise ship several years ago.
Huh. I've never heard of a whale of that size being hit by a cruise ship. Scarred by the props, yes. But hit? No!
Awww..

And I'm thinking all of you were just about at that point, too.
Looks a lot like my Trip Report readers, doesn’t he?
We're not that alert.

I'm in a similar situation. (Although being solo, I'm sure my credit is nowhere near as much as yours. Still.. don't want to lose it.)
I have until the end of this year to go on a cruise that has to take place sometime in 2022. I'm still not thrilled with the idea of cruising right now.

Yeah, it was a chunk of change. I was wondering if I was just going to have to end up eating it, but really didn't want to do that.

We had a brief window where we were allowed to use our credit to pay the deposit on a new cruise, so we weren't out any new money. So we did that and booked a short one in the Bahamas for next April (spring break). It was literally the cheapest one I could get. Hopefully cruising will be in better shape by then.

That worked out well. :)

Thank goodness!

What is this "traveling thing" that you speak of? Leaving your home State/Province? Is this even possible??

:sad: It has to get better soon. Right?

I saw that on the book of faces. Very smart indeed. Clearly the brains of the household.

Clearly.

I mean, we all knew that already.

I read that and... having lived in the North (although not quite that far North), I assumed that you were talking about one day.

Ha! Didn't think about that, but it could easily have been a one-day range of temps. Should have said HIGH temperatures.

Yes you do. Would you mind going into detail.

Thanks.

I'll get right on that. After I finish my novel.

Nice of him.
And... did I know your mom had her hip replaced? If I did, I forgot. (Doing a lot of that these days. :sad2:)

I don't think I had said anything about it. She's had a rough go of it lately. First she had both knees replaced...now the hip.

Put your hands in the air! Woot!
(As they scan you with the magic "make you naked to be laughed at by TSA agents" machine.)

It kind of does resemble one of the steps of the Macarena.

wuff. Good thing it's a short day!

Not.

Not off to a great start there. At least it wasn't cancelled altogether.

Meh. A tube with wings. It goes from here to there. With the margins being so small, there's just not much difference anymore.

Pretty much. I'd just settle for being able for not having the schedules constantly jerked around, nickel-and-diming on the fees, and sitting in the seats we chose when we booked.

I've given up on comfortable seats.

Really like this shot of you guys. :goodvibes

Thanks! I know I look much better with the mask on.

Very. (Judging from the photo. I've been, but drove.)

Always great coming in over the mountains.

There it is!

:rolleyes1

How hard did you look?

Bigger than I thought!

The first time I flew to Seattle, I didn't realize they had those two satellite buildings housing more gates.

Ugh. Right back the way you came and then some.

That was a pain. The communication on where our gate was could have been better, too.

Sometimes people are nice. :)

It feels more and more rare, but it's wonderful when people are kind.

That looks really good. Don't have Apple TV, though. Paying for enough services and have too much choices as it is.

I had upgraded my phone late last year so I got a year of Apple TV for free. Enjoyed For All Mankind and Ted Lasso.

FAM season 1 was decent. A little slow at times. Season 2 was excellent. The season 2 finale was one of the best episodes of TV I've watched in a while.

Beautiful!

Familiar with your rule and use it myself. When Westjet decided that the best way to get to Florida was to fly north to NYC first... despite the layover, I do tell people I've never been. And I don't feel like I need to qualify that, either.

Not at all. An airport always felt like cheating. The gates all look the same in every city/state. If you can hit the ground you've at least made some effort.

I realize "soil" is a hard ask in NYC, though. I would think pavement or sidewalk is perfectly acceptable there.

I'm actually surprised that they don't have a smaller aircraft to make that hop. How full (or empty?) was the plane at that point?

It was surprisingly full! It appeared to me that the lodge does enough business in the summer with tourists that they can fill up the plane and make the flight worthwhile. I had expected it to be mostly empty, but that was not the case at all.

Not Midway, but have had the experience. <Thump> <ROAR!>

Pretty much! :laughing: And you have to brace to keep from hitting the seat in front of you.

Asphalt... not soil...
Still... you must've been getting excited. :)

Absolutely! I took that photo thinking I would document the moment we stepped off the plane into Alasak, but then I realized it wasn't the soil. So we'll call the sign the official spot.

Love that! :laughing:

We were getting a kick out of the "airport" there.

However.
When I was a kid, that would have been part of a very normal conversation. A "dink" was a hockey term for maneuvering the puck around an opponent. "I dinked around the defenseman and scored with a slapshot." The term was fairly quickly (at least for me, maybe it had been used for decades already) changed to "deke" or "deeke". As in: "He tried to stop me, but I deeked him out. Then I deeked around the next guy and scored."

Interesting. I've never heard that term before. I've always heard it as a "deke". Wonder why it changed.

That surprises me not at all.
And you're at the mercy of the restaurant. If it's not good... then you just don't go out. Ever. (Been there, did that for 3.5 years.)

I was doing a lot of pondering what it must be like to live there during that drive. It's a foreign concept to me.

I know you told me before, but where did you live up north again?

Woot!!! Congrats!!

Thank you, sir! Only took us 11 years. Now we need a new gimmick.

Great shot and you all look pretty happy for having accomplished your goal.

But! When did Dave and Scotty get so tall?!?!??

I think we were all very happy and also a little delirious from lack of sleep.

And...yeah. It's pretty stunning, isn't it? I think the photo is a bit exaggerated due to uneven ground, but they've both surpassed me. I can't play basketball with them anymore.

Sure. That way the cook knows exactly how long he can nap until.

Truthfully... that seems odd. Unless, maybe it was that busy to justify it?

My best guess, and this is partly due to events later in the trip, is that they were lacking sufficient help to be able to fully seat guests at every table. There only appeared to be two servers working, and they were doubling as the hosts at the front desk as well.

Again. Not surprised by your conveyance at all. If anything, it looks a little too modern/clean.

If anything, it was slightly better than what I was expecting.

It's that credit you had. You were looking for places to spend it.

Uh, sure. Let's go with that.

With requisite Totem pole too.

Pretty much obligatory.

Looks really nice. Must've been a nice view from the lodge, too.

Not too shabby, except it was mostly covered in clouds that evening.

Huh. I've never heard of a whale of that size being hit by a cruise ship. Scarred by the props, yes. But hit? No!

Yeah, there was even an information board showing a photo of the whale in front of the cruise ship before impact. Sad story.

Awww..

And I'm thinking all of you were just about at that point, too.

We were so done. On the plus side, it was helping us adjust to the time zone change faster.

We're not that alert.

Huh? Whadja say?

Yeah, it was a chunk of change. I was wondering if I was just going to have to end up eating it, but really didn't want to do that.
I can certainly see that!
We had a brief window where we were allowed to use our credit to pay the deposit on a new cruise, so we weren't out any new money. So we did that and booked a short one in the Bahamas for next April (spring break). It was literally the cheapest one I could get. Hopefully cruising will be in better shape by then.
I have until the end of this year to pick a cruise in 2022.
I think I'm going to push it as far back in the year as I can.
And... I have no idea where I want to cruise to. Alaska was the original, but that was 100% for my mom. Now that I'm going alone... :confused3
:sad: It has to get better soon. Right?
:sad2:
I mean, we all knew that already.
Truer words...
I'll get right on that. After I finish my novel.
Standing by!
I don't think I had said anything about it. She's had a rough go of it lately. First she had both knees replaced...now the hip.
Oh, geez. How is she doing now?
It kind of does resemble one of the steps of the Macarena.
Not quite as much fun.
I've given up on comfortable seats.
Careful what you say! Have you seen these monstrosities?

Thanks! I know I look much better with the mask on.
How hard did you look?
I thankfully know you a little bit.
I had upgraded my phone late last year so I got a year of Apple TV for free. Enjoyed For All Mankind and Ted Lasso.
Nice. I've heard good things about Lasso.
FAM season 1 was decent. A little slow at times. Season 2 was excellent. The season 2 finale was one of the best episodes of TV I've watched in a while.
What is FAM?
I realize "soil" is a hard ask in NYC, though. I would think pavement or sidewalk is perfectly acceptable there.
I think... anything off airport property? Or once exiting the terminal?
It was surprisingly full! It appeared to me that the lodge does enough business in the summer with tourists that they can fill up the plane and make the flight worthwhile. I had expected it to be mostly empty, but that was not the case at all.
Huh! Then I guess it makes sense, then.
Pretty much! :laughing: And you have to brace to keep from hitting the seat in front of you.
See above photo. Good luck.
Interesting. I've never heard that term before. I've always heard it as a "deke". Wonder why it changed.
Probably because it's also a term for a certain part of the male anatomy.
I was doing a lot of pondering what it must be like to live there during that drive. It's a foreign concept to me.

I know you told me before, but where did you live up north again?
I spent a few years in Lynn Lake (used to say "It's not hell, but you can see it from here.") and then Churchill (which is the exact opposite. Amazing place.)
Thank you, sir! Only took us 11 years. Now we need a new gimmick.
Well, you could start saving for a ride on this:

If you can keep from snickering, of course.
My best guess, and this is partly due to events later in the trip, is that they were lacking sufficient help to be able to fully seat guests at every table. There only appeared to be two servers working, and they were doubling as the hosts at the front desk as well.
Hmmm... Covid related staffing shortage?
Yeah, there was even an information board showing a photo of the whale in front of the cruise ship before impact
Huh!
We were so done. On the plus side, it was helping us adjust to the time zone change faster.

I can certainly see that!

The truth is, Julie and I aren't huge fans of cruising. We had originally decided to go just to see the inside passage to Alaska, since there's no other way to do it. Sounds like it was similar for you. Cruising anywhere else doesn't excite us as much.

I have until the end of this year to pick a cruise in 2022.
I think I'm going to push it as far back in the year as I can.
And... I have no idea where I want to cruise to. Alaska was the original, but that was 100% for my mom. Now that I'm going alone... :confused3

Do Alaska anyway! It's worth it.

Oh, geez. How is she doing now?

Better. She had a bit of a setback near the end of our trip, so I'll mention that later. But she's improving.

Careful what you say! Have you seen these monstrosities?

:scared1: Those aren't seats. Those are torture devices.

I thankfully know you a little bit.

I actually did find the monorail track, but you really have to know where to look.

Nice. I've heard good things about Lasso.

Yeah, we've really enjoyed that one.

What is FAM?

For All Mankind.

I think... anything off airport property? Or once exiting the terminal?

I think off airport property fits the spirit of the rule.

Huh! Then I guess it makes sense, then.

The lodge wasn't huge, but there must be enough demand from National Park tourists over the summer to fill it and make it worth Alaska Airlines' while to serve the town.

See above photo. Good luck.

Why do airlines hate us so much?

Probably because it's also a term for a certain part of the male anatomy.

Ah. Well, that would explain it.

I spent a few years in Lynn Lake (used to say "It's not hell, but you can see it from here.") and then Churchill (which is the exact opposite. Amazing place.)

Not a fan of the Route 391 Bar & Grill?

Judging from the map, Churchill looks like a much nicer location.

Well, you could start saving for a ride on this:

If you can keep from snickering, of course.

Too late. I think it's physically impossible.

Looks like a pretty dinky rocket, if you ask me.

Hmmm... Covid related staffing shortage?

Yep, that's what I was thinking. It wouldn't be the last time we ran into that issue.

Our original 2020 Alaska Adventure was meant to be a big expensive blowout celebration of both the family completing the 50-state quest and Sarah’s graduation from high school. It included flights to 3 separate destinations, a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Seward exploring the Inside Passage, an 11-day driving tour on land and visits to 4 national parks.

Ambitious!

But the rest of the plan stayed fairly intact, and I was able to use a lot of the credits and money I’d spent on 2020 reservations to take care of this trip. So that was certainly a blessing.

That WAS a blessing for sure. Glad that worked out!

Our departure date was Tuesday, June 29. It’s never easy getting 6 people and their luggage on a plane.

I'd submit that, for at least one person, it's not easy getting on a plane OR the stuff packed. #nounderwearnecessary

:rolleyes2
Especially when you’re a little rusty at the whole traveling thing.

Or not.

We had to be prepared for almost any kind of weather situation—the forecasts called for temperatures between 40F – 70F (4 – 21C) and just about any combination you could think of with rain, sun, clouds, and wind, not to mention a couple of boat trips that could feel even colder.

Wide goal posts there making for a thick playbook.

Julie’s system involves piles, plastic bags and post-it notes. She writes the planned activities for each day of the trip on a post-it note and then sticks it to the wall in the upstairs hallway. Everyone chooses some clothing for the day (hopefully appropriate for that day’s activity) and then they add their clothes to the pile. Then Julie takes the pile and compresses it into a gallon-size plastic bag (like you’d use for food in the freezer) and sticks the post-it note on the bag. She’ll try and group a few consecutive days’ bags into one bag in the hopes of us having to move fewer bags into the hotel rooms as we move throughout the vacation.

Genius level achieved.

(per person—do I really need to spell that out for you?)

Yeah, probably.

because airlines are terrible

OH a non-fiction story full of self-evident truths!

If you think you're gonna get one when they all move out, you are deluded.

Buy stock in Aleve now.

My father was very gracious to drive us to the airport so we didn’t have to pay for long-term parking, even though he was taking care of my mother at home who had undergone a recent hip replacement. I really did win the lottery when it came to family members.

Wow, that IS very nice of them!

Oops. Check that. More like 90 minutes, as the flight was already delayed.

:sad2: Oh for Pete's sake.

It was a 5-hour flight from Philadelphia to Seattle. I enjoy flying to Seattle, as the approach is one of the prettiest in the country.

It really is and then I saw the next one.

I managed to get a nice view of the downtown area on our approach as well. You can see the Space Needle, the Chihuly Sculpture Garden, the arena where the Seattle Kraken will play, a Frank Gehry monstrosity, and even the monorail tracks if you look hard enough.

Nice capture!! As for the monstrosity. That is an understatement of gross proportions.

My ticket still read Juneau, so this appeared to be a problem. After some amateur sleuthing, we found that our gate had already been changed…to D6. So at least it was another long walk.
I detest that airport.

We ended up grabbing some overpriced airport McDonald’s burgers for lunch

Free would be overpriced. Better than Chex mix though.

After several minutes of confusion, it turned out that the old lady had sat in the wrong seat to begin with, and the young woman was the one we’d really wanted to switch with. Thankfully, it all worked out in the end, and they didn’t really care which seat they had since they were all aisle seats.

Crisis averted.

Holy smokes!! That is incredible!

When we landed in Juneau, we stayed aboard the plane (first time I’ve done that for a layover). Technically, we were now in Alaska, but according to family rules, we couldn’t cross the state off the list yet. The rule states that our feet have to touch the soil of the state in order for it to count as an official visit. This rule was put in place expressly to prohibit counting airport layovers.
Was it Oklahoma you walked across a bridge to "visit"?

It's like the paramedics of the aviation world. 99% boring until there's a need for clear thinking and skill.

Aww, that's really cute. Is he always this cute?

(I have 5 kids, I know the answer.)

One was a general store attached to the gas station, and the other was run by a family by the name of Cosh who would make a Costco run every so often and then re-sell their purchases to the residents. So it was called the “Coshco”.

Okay, that's clever. :worship:

AM-JKLW603-5hSCDc8nYQ0tB52nFX0B4OdlG33BARg-VLF8avJ_htnOSHv07IUv8NqlCCZneonvDCUZ0FbJynWNgCx7iIT63ICgJkKc8CBU6IPMCx9oL5u7Qk8sxsFwy5if1KT1AfHapsJ0hobmgTbdWJF6wTQ=w1128-h846-no

Ta-dahhhh!!! There it is.

Sigh. I’ve been informed that the DISBoard Trip Report bylaws state that I must report upon the entire trip, not just a tiny portion of it.

Wait?! It is?

Crap.

Suckah!!!

oh.

Along the path to the dock was a humpback whale skeleton. Sadly, this was the remains of a whale that was struck by a cruise ship several years ago. Her name was Snow.

That does make me sad. :(
Finally, we looked at the restaurant and saw some open tables. So we decided to go back to the host desk and ask them to have mercy on us. At this point, we’d been awake for almost 20 hours. The long hours of Alaskan daylight meant our bodies truly had no clue what time it was. Thankfully, the staff took pity and seated us right away.

They know what happens to overwrought tourists. It is not pretty. Besides they order more food when they're awake.

The truth is, Julie and I aren't huge fans of cruising. We had originally decided to go just to see the inside passage to Alaska, since there's no other way to do it. Sounds like it was similar for you. Cruising anywhere else doesn't excite us as much.
I wouldn't know if I'm a fan of cruising or not, never having done one. :confused3
Do Alaska anyway! It's worth it.
I might. I'm just not sure about it yet. If I do, however, it would have to be in May or June (supposedly the best time to go) and I don't know if I'm that keen on cruising that soon.
Better. She had a bit of a setback near the end of our trip, so I'll mention that later. But she's improving.
Glad she's improving. Hope that continues.
:scared1: Those aren't seats. Those are torture devices.
Correct. I sure hope the person in charge saw those and realized the riot he'd face.
For All Mankind.
ah
The lodge wasn't huge, but there must be enough demand from National Park tourists over the summer to fill it and make it worth Alaska Airlines' while to serve the town.
That's always the deciding factor. Is it worth it.
Not a fan of the Route 391 Bar & Grill?
I had to Google that. That didn't exist when I was there. Who knows... maybe it's good.

(I doubt it.)
Judging from the map, Churchill looks like a much nicer location.
Lynn Lake is actually in a nice enough spot in the middle of the boreal forest with plenty of lakes around, but... the town itself left much to be desired.
Too late. I think it's physically impossible.
Ah. So the $28million price tag isn't the roadblock.
Looks like a pretty dinky rocket, if you ask me.
:rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter