The Everything Pooh Sized Thread

I'm your average plus size girl and I've found that old navy and torrid are the best places for plus size clothes.
Course old navy is MUCH less exprensive than torrid if you go to the back of the store where all the five dollar tshirts are and ten dollar dresses ;]

As for a bag I'd suggest a backpack or if you want something cute go to the kids/tweens section of any clothing store or claire's accesory store (sounds silly I know) and look for one of these http://www.belladulcecreations.com/images/Scene Magazine/Petite purse 1.jpg

I always use them for disney either those or a tote bag if the bag doesnt zip go buy some iron on velcro from jo ann fabrics or any other craft store like that. I suggest flip flops or go to payless and buy those SUPER comfy slip on sneakers that are EVERYWHERE their great for planes too slip on and off really easy be sure to go to your local cvs or walgreens and get mole skin just in case for blisters thats just a good disney tip for anyone!

Also dress barn has some amazing capris and figure flattering tops right now I highly suggest checking them out. Hope I helped!

oh and this may be a bit gross for some but it is helpful when you love sundresses and skirts like I do go to bath and body works or to the travel size hygene section in walmart (to find non sceneted since scented sometimes burns) and pick up a bottle of lotion to rub on your thighs to avoid the dreaded chub rub. This is some advice I give to skinny friends as well thighs are all meant to be thick haha. Also highly suggest the underwear with the tummy tuck thing on the top they are comfortable and great for when your feeling a little uncomfortable with your belly in dresses keeps you smooth and feeling better about your appearance. ALSO just becase your 'plus size' doesnt mean that you need to buy a shirt eight sizes too big for you! Dress your body correctly and buy thing that work with your curves! Bring a friend shopping with you try on a bunch of different sizes to help self esteem I start with the biggest size and work my way down haha seriously it works.

Hi Lizzie
you sound like my dh and I!! I ha ve actually enjoyed making our own t shirts for our trips. Either iron ons or embroidery appliqué. There r some greAt designers on the creative disigns thread. Let me know if u need help!

Hi ladies! I just wanted to point this out for any of you who may shop at Avenue.com Their bathing suits are pretty darn cute (even the two-pieces). I'm planning on getting a new bathing suit from them. Maybe two if I can't find something else I like.

BUY ONE, GET ONE 50% OFF*
ALMOST EVERYTHING ON OUR SITE!
USE COUPON CODE AV101087 AT CHECKOUT.

*Cannot be combined with any other offer. Not valid on prior purchases or purchase of gift card or e-gift cards. Offer expires 11:59 pm ET on 6/5/2010. Not valid on merchandise shipped directly from the manufacturer, eBags and Palm Beach jewelry items. Applies to item of equal or lesser value. Regular price applies when purchasing one.

I like the no-wire bras from Lane Bryant. They fit well, offer good support, and are usually only $16 each. TMI, but I use deodorant/antiperspirant under "the girls" on hot days. Works like a charm!

I second the vote on the Lane Bryant/Calcique Cotton no-wire bra! I dust liberally with Gold Bond powder. Until I discovered Gold Bond, I always had a raw rash under, to use the biological term, my pendulous breasts. I use it all the time, not just on hot days and no longer have any irritation problems. Also helps prevent all manner of chafing. I have even procured small travel-size containers that are a great thing to stuff in my Disney bag for touring the parks.

Another GREAT place for big girls to shop on-line is Junionia.com. They stock some exceptionally high quality activewear at fair prices--not cheap, but I have never regretted a purchase. I love their swimwear, tees, capris, cargo shorts, sports bras, bicycle shorts & leggings, as well as some of their "technical" underwear. Some of the mid-thigh cool-max undies can make even 20 hours stuck in economy airline seats.

They also stock things like "pooh-sized" fanny packs, shoes and travel togs.

Try using a neck cooler, and WEAR A REAL HAT! The neck cooler is a bit of fabric sewn together such that it contains gel crystals. You soak these in water and then wear it around your neck like a loose bandana. It's easy to rehydrate it during the day in the bathroom or at a water fountain.

Both are available at Tilley.com. There was a time when you could purchase a proper Tilley hat at the Canada Trading Post in Epcot, but those days are long gone.

I'll have to check the overland bags!!

Love my body glide!

Now I wear crocs but not everyday. Not enough support for daily use. I wear my teva dozers and keen Newport h2s!! Then rotate

They make a croc that has some support. I am a nurse in the OR and have feet issues. They are comfortable, slide on easy and have grippers on the bottom so they dont slide on wet surfaces. They are bright orange and are some chefs line of crocs- mario Battali I think (they are too gross now for me to read the print).

I took a large stuffed Minnie Mouse. Cut a slit down middle. Took some stuffing out . Sewed 3 sides of a t-shirt together. Bast sticthed it inside for a pocket.Added velcro to close. Sewed on Long straps. I had my own large Disney bag that fit. ME. Got so many comments on it. Everyone wanted to know where I got it. Had to make another though for my DD to use as a pajama bag. Hmmm....Maybe I should make more and pay for park tickets for next trip. I'd probably get in trouble for that though. Oh well just a thought.

This is a great thread!

I am a size 22. My park bag is an Overland Donner. It has a very long adjustable strap so I can sling it across my body. I don't even have to take it off on most rides.

For shoes, I wear Teva Terra-Fi's. I am not a flip flop wearer and sneakers make my feet too hot. I also need something supportive because I have flat feet and these
work!

I am a Body Glide user as well. I use it on feet and thighs.

I buy most of my shorts and capris at Old Navy. They only sell plus sizes online but I've never had an issue. I've also bought at Land's End.

As for swimsuits, I bought my current suit at www.alwaysforme.com They have a great selection and great service.

Couldn't agree more with the alwaysforme.com tip. I'm a size 16/18, and I've bought my swimsuits from them for the past 3 summers. I'm actually waiting on my swimsuit for this summer to come in the mail. My advice is to buy a good swimsuit with good support. What I love about the alwaysforme swimsuits is that suck you in in all the right places. Now who can complain about that. :woohoo:

Try using a neck cooler, and WEAR A REAL HAT! The neck cooler is a bit of fabric sewn together such that it contains gel crystals. You soak these in water and then wear it around your neck like a loose bandana. It's easy to rehydrate it during the day in the bathroom or at a water fountain.

Both are available at Tilley.com. There was a time when you could purchase a proper Tilley hat at the Canada Trading Post in Epcot, but those days are long gone.

I looked at the neck cooler at Tilley thought it was a little too expensive for my budget so I started to think there has to be something like it out there look what I found here :) !! May have to put this on the Budget Board too

http://www.industrialsafetygear.com/hard-hats/bandanas.html?gclid=CPKvpJXXkaICFcRM5QodfEs7jg

I read through the first page of this thread and I'm so excited. I will go back and read more but I would love to know of any struggles pooh-sized folks have fitting on rides?

I'm a size 20 and will be visiting soon with young kids, so I'll be accompanying them on rides/attractions. Thanks! So Much!

I read through the first page of this thread and I'm so excited. I will go back and read more but I would love to know of any struggles pooh-sized folks have fitting on rides?

I'm a size 20 and will be visiting soon with young kids, so I'll be accompanying them on rides/attractions. Thanks! So Much!

I just read the whole thread today for the first time & picked up alot of good info in re-to your question please let me reassure you I have been going to WDW since the late 1970's my weight has been all over the place a size 20 will have no problems on anything WDW is extremely pooh size friendly...and as a side note if you ever wanted to do Discovery Cove their wetsuits go up to all sizes, they are smart too

Ruthie

At Disney I have no problems getting on anything!! Im a 20/22 2x girl and have no difficulty getting onto/off of anything! I ride with little kids and big kids too!! My DH is a 4x and he also does well at Disney. I cant think of anything at all that he doesnt ride except the make your own rollercoaster thing at Disney Quest - his shoulders were too broad for that. Enjoy yourself and dont worry!!!!

Thank you all! This is a fabulous thread. I'm thinking there might be a need to have a dedicated spot for this topic among the boards. Just reading the responses has eased a tremendous amount of anxiety for me regarding my upcoming trip. Let's see, I've ordered light fabric T-shirts (light colored), along with bra liners and am contemplating the cooling neck wrap.

About the cooling bandana/neck wrap things, I read a review on REI's website that indicated they were best for dry/hot climates. Someone mentioned they're useless in high humidity, "felt like a wet hot sausage around my neck" was something mentioned on the reviews. If' you've worn this cooling wrap in FL, what did you think?

Thanks again!

Thank you all! This is a fabulous thread. I'm thinking there might be a need to have a dedicated spot for this topic among the boards. Just reading the responses has eased a tremendous amount of anxiety for me regarding my upcoming trip. Let's see, I've ordered light fabric T-shirts (light colored), along with bra liners and am contemplating the cooling neck wrap.

About the cooling bandana/neck wrap things, I read a review on REI's website that indicated they were best for dry/hot climates. Someone mentioned they're useless in high humidity, "felt like a wet hot sausage around my neck" was something mentioned on the reviews. If' you've worn this cooling wrap in FL, what did you think?

Thanks again!

Funny timing I just came in the house after talking to some gas company/construction workers and noticed a few are wearing those bandanas
(yes right here in FL) they highly recommend them. So I will definitely be buying them..and with the link I put up a few posts ago I will be getting some for my dogs too..since it says the crystals are non-toxic :cool1:

I have used these in the past and they do help - up to a point. When you first put it on it feels oh so cool, but after a while it does feel kind of like a wet sausage around your neck (love that image). :laughing: It's also a little bit heavy when it's wet. I found it best to wear it for a while, take it off for a while, put it back on, etc. Sometimes I would use it to wipe down my arms and face and that felt good. It's also kind of slimy and leaves your neck feeling kind of greasy. By the way, I got mine at Wal-Mart for less than $2 in the camping supplies. Hope that helps.

Okay, so how about a bra question? Men, shield your eyes, this ain't gonna be pretty.

I'm an underwire kind of gal normally, but the thought of having that rub up against me all day long in the trillion-degree heat just makes me groan. Any pooh-gals want to chime in on over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder choices for Disney? I'm thinking I'd like to go underwire-free or with a sports bra, but then again, I don't want the girls bouncing around, injuring small children, etc. I also wonder if a sports bra would be too hot, given the extra material. Also, I did just find a moisture-wicking bra (!) from Hanes. IIRC, it's a sports bra.

Insight warmly welcomed.

Another girl one talk here guys, so you might want to skip this post

I do not wear underwire bras but I wear a very large size and in the heat they tend to rub the skin under the girls which causes chaffing :eek: I once ended up at the doctor here with a real bad under girls rash which was very painful :sad2: I now use Body Glide not only on my thighs which are large but under the bra and girls and never had a problem since.

It really works well in Fla where I tend to sweat a lot in the hot summer weather and does not sweat off all day :thumbsup2

I am 5'10' and a large 32W

The best shorts I have found if you like denim shorts are Only Necessities sold at Woman Within online (might be in their stores too but we do not have them here). The pull on type ones are best I have found and are comfortable all day in the parks no matter how hot they are. They have nice deep pockets which I like to stow things in both at the parks and for everywhere wear.I also wear their shirts a lot mostly the cotton stretch ones tunic length as they are nice and long and I am tall.

I have used these in the past and they do help - up to a point. When you first put it on it feels oh so cool, but after a while it does feel kind of like a wet sausage around your neck (love that image). :laughing: It's also a little bit heavy when it's wet. I found it best to wear it for a while, take it off for a while, put it back on, etc. Sometimes I would use it to wipe down my arms and face and that felt good. It's also kind of slimy and leaves your neck feeling kind of greasy. By the way, I got mine at Wal-Mart for less than $2 in the camping supplies. Hope that helps.

Hi I posted this morning.......
Funny timing I just came in the house after talking to some gas company/construction workers and noticed a few are wearing those bandanas
(yes right here in FL) they highly recommend them. So I will definitely be buying them..and with the link I put up a few posts ago I will be getting some for my dogs too..since it says the crystals are non-toxic :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter