The Epic continues.....The Party's Over (***COMPLETED 3/19***)

Finally, Christmas morning! The kids, of course, were beside themselves with excitement! We drove to Atlanta to my in-laws for the holiday. My mom drove down from Charlotte on the 23rd (same day we arrived). We had a bit of a delay opening presents as we were waiting for my SIL to arrive. The door to her garage had slipped off the track and she wasn’t sure she could get her car out. She called her apartment complex’s emergency number, but it was Christmas morning after all! She was finally able to pry it open and arrived shortly after. We had labeled the box “open last”, so after all the DVD’s, toys, and clothes, the kids had the final box. Anabelle was still betting on a TV or Wii, it didn’t really occur to her that the box was too light for electronics. I was excited and nervous. I half expected a "MomofCKJ" reception, with the crying because it wasn't a Wii! The box is the red one sitting on the chair.

PC240035.jpg

PC250087.jpg

They opened the box and inside was….another box! This one was also wrapped, but had a sign on top that said “Guess”.

PC250088.jpg

They opened that box and the next one said “Where”, the third box said “You’re”.

PC250089.jpg

PC250090.jpg

At this point Rebecca firmly stated, “This is NOT fun!”. “Keep going,” we urged! The next box was labeled with “Going”.

PC250092.jpg

Finally, something was in this box. Three homemade autograph books and a Disney brochure.

PC250095.jpg

The light started to go on in Anabelle’s head (she is 8 ½ after all!). “Wait a second, are we going to Disney World?” I had written inside the books: “Our trip to Disney World, January 13-21, 2007”. Once she read that, Anabelle was jumping around like crazy.

PC250097.jpg

Rebecca went back to brushing her Ariel head’s hair. I think she was stunned. We asked her if she wanted to go to Disney, and we did get a yes and a smile. Anabelle told her we were going in three weeks, and we got a much bigger smile. My little killjoy was Andrew, “Do you want to go see Mickey Mouse?” “No”. Oh well, the little guy doesn’t know what he’s in for! He did tell me later that he would ride the train with me. I think he may have just been tired by then, here's a picture of him after opening presents. We did move him off the hardwood, just so you know!

PC250101.jpg

Overall, I was quite pleased with the whole reveal. It was a great surprise and now we can actually talk about Disney in the open and not in code. It’s nice not to have to minimize the screen each time Anabelle walks by. They’ve been talking about it non-stop. Rebecca asks me about once an hour “When are we going to Disney World?” “Why can’t we go today?”. I’m glad we didn’t tell them sooner, I don’t think I could take the questioning!

I'll probably have one more pretrip segment, since I haven't actually outlined the players or the itinerary! Thanks for all the support! I've long been addicted to the trip report board and it is somewhat intimidating to write your own!

So glad you had a tear free reveal! :lmao: I am sure they are really getting excited now that it is getting even closer!

Can't wait for more!

Allyson

OMG! How cute is that photo of your son asleep on the floor? I love it!

How exciting! I can't wait to hear all about your trip! :cloud9: I have to live through all these great TR's until August!!

Wishing you lots and lots of pixiedust: pixiedust:

I guess I should finally introduce the cast of this merry escapade!

Me!, Ellen- 37, home schooling mom, as written before Disney is in my blood. I left my Industrial Engineering career behind when my oldest was 6 months old, but I did not lose the obsessive need of planning that made it the perfect job for me!

DH, John – 40, software engineer, Disney is not his favorite place but he does like it and finds my DIS addiction “endearing”. Of course, it should be mentioned that he is a roller coaster/theme park enthusiast. We both love playing “Roller Coaster Tycoon” and our dialog while visiting parks includes many references to the game.

DD1 – Anabelle, 8 ¾. My little almost-tween. Growing up so fast, it is beyond scary! We grow them tall, so she looks older. With her long blonde hair, John has his axe handle ready for when the boys start calling! Loves coasters and thrill rides of any kind. Looking forward to her first trip on Space Mountain. This will be her fifth time to Disney.

DD2 – Rebecca, 5 ¼. My little drama queen. She is our “loose cannon” as John affectionately refers to her. Able to go from adorable kindergartner to screaming banshee in 1.5 seconds flat. Tells me at least three time a day that she wishes we were in Disney “RIGHT NOW”. This will be her third trip.

DS1 – Andrew, 2 ¾. My little man. I love my girls to death, but I think most mamas will tell you that there is something special about a little boy! Loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and the Wiggles. He is right at 40 inches, we’re teaching him to stand up as straight as possible! This will be his first trip!

My mom, Marcia – 63, HR manager, misses her grandkids terribly as we just moved away 4 months ago. Hasn’t been to AK or MGM, doesn’t do thrill rides. Can be great to travel with, or not. We’re hoping for the former!

Now for the itinerary:

We are staying on points in a 2 bedroom condo at Saratoga Springs (SSR) for eight nights. We will be on the dining plan. I bought our tickets (7 day/expiring/non-hopping) online from Undercover Tourist. I subscribed to TourGuideMike for the first time, fits right in with my obsessive planning behavior! (Way to enable, TGM!!)

So now we are making final plans and counting down. I’ve printed off the map for the new Western Way exit. It’s not on mapquest or yahoo maps yet, but leave it to the DIS! Someone on the camping board posted a link to the Turnpike’s official maps. I think I have our ADR’s and order of parks finalized.

Saturday, Jan. 13th: Arrive and settle in. We are driving, my mom is flying and taking ME to SSR. My stepsister and her two kids are driving up from Lake Worth to spend the night with us. That was another great surprise for the kids, they will get to see their beloved cousins for a part of the trip!

Sunday, Jan. 14th: Epcot. Breakfast at Akershus, dinner at Le Cellier. We may skip Le Cellier (GASP!), since my stepsister is not on the dining plan and is a single mom. One TS may be all her budget can take.

Monday, Jan. 15th: MK. My stepsister and her kids will head home, they have school/work Tuesday! We have dinner ADR’s at Chef Mickey’s. Anabelle has been requesting a return there since our last trip.

Tuesday, Jan. 16th: AK. Dinner at Boma.

Wednesday, Jan.17th: MGM. Dinner at SciFi.

Thursday, Jan. 18th: Pirate cruise for the girls in the AM (they don’t know, we still have a few surprises up our sleeves!), the grown-ups will take Andrew to 1900 Park Faire for brunch. Epcot and Biergarten in the evening.

Friday, Jan. 19th: Open, I figure we’ll hit whatever park we haven’t seen enough of yet. No ADR’s.

Saturday, Jan. 20th: MK, early breakfast at Crystal Palace, dinner at Kona Café.

Sunday, Jan 21st: Sadly checkout and drag home. Probably hit Downtown Disney before we hit the road.

With this plan we will either pay for one TS out of pocket for the adults or have two children’s TS credits left over (depending on whether or not we skip LeCellier). We will have a full kitchen, so we will eat a light breakfast in the room most days.

All on her own, Rebecca has drawn, cut out, and taped to the wall next to her bed a scene of Disney. The carousel is on the left, next to a roller coaster and playground. Our hotel is the big yellow building on the right. The two people are "just people who are walking around there".

P1030120.jpg

She has also drawn a picture of Mickey and his clubhouse in her autograph book to show the big cheese while we’re there. She is my creative one, for sure!

P1030129.jpg

She just came up to me and AGAIN said she wished we were going today. How do people survive telling their kids six months out? I’d be committed by then!

Andrew has torn several pages out of his book to draw on and tried to pull off Mickey’s tail. I have removed the books to a safe, undisclosed location.

P1030127.jpg

The dog has his luxury accommodations booked at the vet (sorry, Merlin!) and I have started my list of things not to forget. We're taking the van tomorrow for an oil change and tire rotation. The girls are busy scouring Disney.com for the quicktime movies of the rides and we’re checking Accuweather’s 15 day forecast each day to see what weather we’re in for.

The excitement level is building…. Let the ten day countdown begin!

Rebecca's drawings are so cute, and I love how you've done their autograph books. Have fun, can't wait for the TR when you get back.

Love the trip report!! :thumbsup2 Your kids are so cute! :) We'll be there just a few days behind you - have a great trip showing Andrew the World for the first time - I'm sure he'll love it!

I LOVED the boxes--what a great idea!!! I knew I couldn't surprise my kids this time because I was too excited myself, but I am pocketing your great ideas for our next trip! You TR will be something to look forward to when we get back!

The excitement level is building…. Let the ten day countdown begin!
Ellen....I'm so excited for you! I have to laugh when you say Rebecca is asking every day when you're leaving. That would have been James EXACTLY if we had told him beforehand. I love, love your "plan" and hope you don't have to skip LeCellier! (Can you feed the little kids some CS and treat your SIL to LeCell on your credits?) Anyway....I know you'll have a fabulous time and your uber-planning will all pay off!

:yay: :yay: :yay:
Hey!!! What time are your ADRs for Crystal Palace? We'll be there on the same day at 8:05am! I'd love to meet your family!

Well, we just got back tonight and I am in a serious post-trip slump. We had a wonderful time despite the appearance of a rather nasty stomach bug. Andrew is still not completely over it and my DH is beginning to wonder if tonight is his night. Anyway, thanks for all the kind comments. I will try to start work on the actual report very soon!

Princess@heart We also had 8:05 ADR's yesterday! I don't know how I missed your reply before we left! I don't remember seeing you, unless you were hiding in the group of about 100 Brazilains that came in shortly after we did! :goodvibes

Glad you're back safe and well, hope you had a great time and can't wait to start reading all about it. :yay:

Hey! I just read your whole pretrippy and am excited to see your back! I loved all your posts that took a trip through your childhood to your childrens childhoods -- it was VERY cute and good reading too! :) Your surprise was GREAT. I love the box idea and I love the autograph books! TOO CUTE! Cant wait to hear all about how your trip went! :goodvibes

I know that post trip depression all too well. :sad1:

However a good cure is to start your trippie and sort of re-live it all! So please come soon and let us know how it was! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Too bad on the stomach bug, that is never a good thing, esp on vacation.

Allyson

Ah, the post vacation depression has set in. No more character breakfasts and Mickey bar snacks, it’s back to laundry and oatmeal! Oh well, at least I have this trip report to help me remember the magic! Overall, it was a wonderful vacation. We did have several bumps, as you will soon see!

On with the report…..

The weekend before we left, we drove up to Atlanta for some shopping and had dinner with my IL’s. My MIL is an animal lover and the thought of our dog being in a kennel for 10 days was too much for her. She and my FIL offered to drive down to Columbus on Friday (about 90 minutes each way) and pick up Merlin and watch him while we are gone. We made sure that they REALLY wanted to take on another dog for two weeks and they assured us it was fine. We’ll save $100+ and the dog will be much happier, so the plan is a go. Thursday night I’m talking to my MIL to finalize plans and she mentions that my FIL had fallen in the driveway (it’s very sloped) while trying to move a fallen branch and that his arm is really sore. But they are still planning on meeting us for dinner and taking the dog home. Friday, she calls and says his arm is worse and they can’t get into the orthopedic until 2:15pm and she’ll call me after. I offer to call the vet to get the dog back in there and she assures me they’ll get the dog somehow. Long story short, FIL has a broken elbow, can’t drive since he’s on painkillers and my MIL doesn’t drive on the Interstate. So, new plan, John will drive towards Atlanta and his sister will drive towards Columbus and using cellphones will determine a dog switching point. Nothing like a hitch in the plan the night before we leave. John eventually meets up with his sister and returns back home at 9:00pm. It all worked out OK, but it was stressful for a while.

We get to bed by 10:00 and try to get a good night’s sleep. I have a typical night before vacation sleep, which means not much. But we wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed and get on the road at 8:19am, just slightly passed our 8:00am goal. Pretty impressive for us! Our trip down was uneventful, traffic was light. We packed breakfast and lunch to eat in the car and just made quick stops at the Florida welcome center for OJ and potties and on the Turnpike to get gas. We used the new 429/Western Way route from the Turnpike to Disney. It was great! No traffic and you could see Spaceship Earth and the Swan/Dolphin in the distance. We got off 429 and were very soon under the arches! The kids were bouncing and screaming, well the girls were. Andrew was asleep. They woke him up and soon we were pulling into Saratoga Springs (SSR).

Anabelle on the lookout:
P1130005.jpg

Rebecca also on the lookout:
P1130007.jpg

They were looking for this (notice the NO TRAFFIC on this route):
P1130013.jpg

And this was her reaction:
P1130015.jpg

Andrew's reaction:
P1130006.jpg

We had been in cell phone contact with my stepsister, Laura, as she and her two kids (Cassie-8 and Marcus-6) were driving up from Lake Worth (near Palm Beach) to meet us for the weekend. We timed it very well and she pulled into the SSR parking lot as I was checking in. Check in went smoothly, although I was a little jealous when the family checking in right next to me was chosen as the SSR “Family of the Day”. I don’t know what that got them other than buttons and a balloon bouquet, but I tried to be happy for them! I didn’t request any particular room, I figured I’d just get the luck of the draw. We were assigned to The Paddock section, third floor, room 6710. It ended up being a great location. Very close to a bus stop and an easy walk to Downtown Disney and the main pool/community area at SSR. We unloaded the van and checked out our home for the next 8 days. I was very happy with the villa. It was very nice having the extra space, two bathrooms, kitchen, and washer/dryer (for reasons that will soon become obvious). We have really been spoiled staying in condos. As much as I’d like to stay at the Poly or AKL someday, I don’t know if we will ever be willing to give up the “home away from home” amenities.

This was our home for the week:
P1140026.jpg

We relaxed in the room for a while and then took the kids to the playground. I don’t have any biological siblings and John’s sister doesn’t have any kids, so my stepsister’s children are my children’s only cousins. They love them terribly and don’t get to see them as much as they would like. It was a joy to just watch them running around playing and being happy to just be with each other. My mom called, her plane from Charlotte had landed and she was on the ME bus on her way. She called once the bus was pulling into SSR and I drove the van up to meet her. We got her settled and we decided to head over to DTD for dinner. We didn’t know exactly where the walking route was, so we decided to take the bus.

We headed over to Wolfgang Puck Express and there was no line, it was about 5:15pm at this point. As we are deciding what to order, Laura looks around and realizes that Marcus is missing. He was right with the other kids sitting by the fountain, but now he is not there. We leave the remaining kids with my mom and split up to look for him. After a few minutes, Laura has Puck’s call security. Meanwhile, the other kids are getting upset and John and I are running around looking for him as well. When he was around 3, Marcus hid in a clothing rack at Burlington Coat Factory and it took over an hour and the police to find him. I had visions of a similar conclusion, but thankfully he was found much more quickly this time. He had apparently walked over to the fountain outside the Rainforest Café and then realized he didn’t know how to get back and started crying. A nice mom took him to a CM and they took him into The Art of Disney and let him draw while they figured out where he belonged. A plainclothed security CM brought him over to Puck’s and all was well. I asked one of the security CM’s how many kids they found in a day and he said “plenty”. I can only imagine how many kids get separated from their parents in a typical Disney day. The whole thing took about 20 minutes and now there was a significant line at Puck’s. It moved fairly quickly though and soon were up to order.

This was our first experience with the Dining Plan. We ordered and the CM asked if we had any counter service credits remaining. I replied yes, as we had just checked in so there should be 40 credits on the card. The card wouldn’t work, so I tried to just charge it back to the room figuring we’d clear it up at the front desk later. Well, we couldn’t charge to the room either. Great, let’s just use the debit card then. Meal finally paid for, we ate and then walked back to the villa. The walk was very doable, actually took less time than the bus with the additional stops at SSR. The kids changed into their swimsuits and we all headed to the pool. I went back to the front desk and explained what had happened at Puck’s. Turns out they had accidentally printed out two sets of keys when we checked in and had given us the wrong set. The “real” set was in the manager’s safe and, of course, the manager was not there. So, the CM printed us yet another set of keys and told us to just throw the other ones away. She credited our room the amount we spent at Puck’s and said she’d have five CS credits removed from our account. OK, all set then. Well, not really, but I’ll get to that later.

Anabelle and Cassie at the pool:
P1130024.jpg

The kids had a great time in the pool. For some strange reason, the lifeguards leave and turn off the slide and sprayground at 8:00pm. The kids still had fun and we headed back to the villa for baths and were all in bed by 10:00pm. We had a breakfast appointment with some princesses to rest up for!

Oh I am so glad you are starting! Love the pictures, your kids are too cute! I can't wait for more!

Allyson :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter