The End For Backlot Tours?

Mad-Jasper

Mouseketeer
While waiting for a FastPass for TSM June 7th, several people waiting in line for TSM became irate when they discovered TSM would not open until 10 AM. When cooler heads prevailed, my wife had a discussion with two CMs that claimed Backlot Tours would be going away soon to make more room for Pixar based attractions. I think one CM mentioned a good bit of it would be Toy Story based.

Also, another CM mentioned to us that Space Mountain would be closing for a refurb... possibly as early as November but as late as February. The refurb would take approxiamately 18 months.

If the latter is true, I'm glad we're returning in October.

I would think that they could do that for the backlot tours since they seem to be putting a lot into the pixar theme now, but i VERY HIGHLY DOUGBT that they would close Space Mountain for 18 months, especially around one of their busiest times of the year in christmas and new years.

they can do what they want to space mountain, don't use it anyway (just as long as they keep TTA open!)

as for backlot tour, think it's a good atraction to have at hollywood studios, fits the moovie theme very well.

wouldn't dream of a replacement for that

I would think that they could do that for the backlot tours since they seem to be putting a lot into the pixar theme now, but i VERY HIGHLY DOUGBT that they would close Space Mountain for 18 months, especially around one of their busiest times of the year in christmas and new years.

Actually the Space Mountain refurb has been in the works for a while now and it will be most likely down for at least 12 months, probably closer to the 18 stated. They need to completely replace the tracks and make many other upgrades as well

....but i VERY HIGHLY DOUGBT that they would close Space Mountain for 18 months, especially around one of their busiest times of the year in christmas and new Years.
The refurbishment of SM has been under discussion ever since SM at Disneyland was refurbished. While the timing is still not definite it appears the refurbishment is going to happen. There are also several rumors about how extensive the you RE for Richmond will be, from minor to complete replacement of the entire ride system. Here's a link to another discussion on this topic: Space Mountain Refurb

well even if they are going to refurb it, which i know is possible that they may do since i have been there before very depressed that it was closed and i know they need to fix some stuff up, it wouldn't make any sense to me why they would close it around one of their busiest times of the year. I know the time has not been set, but if it is around then, i would be completely shocked. Just to ask a question, why does it take 12-18 months to complete the refurb, what do they do that takes so long? Most of them are closed and up again within a month.

well even if they are going to refurb it, which i know is possible that they may do since i have been there before very depressed that it was closed and i know they need to fix some stuff up, it wouldn't make any sense to me why they would close it around one of their busiest times of the year. I know the time has not been set, but if it is around then, i would be completely shocked. Just to ask a question, why does it take 12-18 months to complete the refurb, what do they do that takes so long? Most of them are closed and up again within a month.

The refurb is probably going to include the complete replacement of almost everything inside of the building! It will even require a large hole being cut in the roof in order to allow access to remove and install the equipment. This is not going to be the typical refurb where things are just cleaned up and painted. It's actually going to be more like the construction of a new exhibit. The same thing was done at Disneyland a couple of years ago. Due to the length of time required at least one holiday season will have to be included. Also it's actually better to miss the holiday season much is only two weeks rather than miss the summer season which is three months. You can be assured Disney will pick a time that has the least overall financial impact.

Disney trips are not planned around the refurb of one ride. Are they? Yes, Disneyland's Space Mountain was closed for close to 2 years. The refurb was really needed and they completely gutted the entire attraction. The new ride is very smooth and the music system works much better than the old one.

I think Space Mountain at WDW is one of the worst rides in the park. I've never been there when the ride DIDN'T break down. I'd like to see them change the ride by getting rid of one track and making it more like the one in Paris that I have heard so much about. Of course they won't do that since Space Mountain is not a Toy Story or other Pixar-related attraction. But one can dream.

Seeing the backlot tour end would be sad, but a major exansion of pixar place might be the ticket for DHS. Toy Story, the Incredibles, and maybe Monsters Inc. could be the focal point of the area. I know there will be a Cars land in California Adventure at Disneyland Resort, but I was thinking a Cars Land maybe in DHS.

Unfortunately, there's not much backlot left to tour. They need to either build a new backlot, with some streets and facades, and update/replace the standing set (catastrophe canyon) or remove the attraction, IMO. If they rebuilt it, they could include a really nice Pixar themed section on the tram route, and I would really hate to see them NOT utilize the studio tour aspect the backlot would provide.

Unfortunately, there's not much backlot left to tour. They need to either build a new backlot, with some streets and facades, and update/replace the standing set (catastrophe canyon) or remove the attraction, IMO. If they rebuilt it, they could include a really nice Pixar themed section on the tram route, and I would really hate to see them NOT utilize the studio tour aspect the backlot would provide.

Totally agree...surprised it wasn't mentioned before this. It's a fraction of what it was before. It's mostly "here's where we store the LMA props and vehicles; this room is full of the tires..." and there is Catastrophe Canyon. There are a few other things like the costuming department (who still does the CM costumes, but AFAIK does not do anything for productions), and old props along the road.

I don't see them rebuilding the facades or anything to expand it, so its probably better to do something else.

As for Space Mountain, last I heard around here is that the rehab would be scaled back (no "cutting off the roof"), but it would still be a long one.

Such rehabs are simply necessary. The track and equipment simply need to be replaced periodically. The track doesn't need to be replaced as often, but it still has to happen at some point.

i REALLY miss the original backlot tour...it was neat, but a few of you are right, its next to nothing now!!
i definitley dont enjoy it as much now...if it became another wonderful attraction, Id be ok with that

The backlot tour is but a fraction of what it once was. They have already destroyed it so I don't see any loss in getting rid of it completely. I feel bad for people who wait 45 minutes for it.

As far as space mountain, it broke down last week when we were there. They closed the ride que because of it, meaning it was pretty severe. In excitement, we jumped on the TTA to get a peek at the lights being on, but by the time we got to it the ride was working again.

We got off TTA and headed straight for it. When we got off space mountain and came up the moving walkway, we found out it was pouring out...and INside the attraction. The doorway you go through to get in the giftshop was pour inside. They had to get buckets and try to warn people as they were coming through.

That building needs major rehab and so does the ride. Take it down for 12-18 months, publicize it well, refurb it, and do it right. If you refurb a major ride like that for a long time, ya gotta do it right or ppl will be very angry. Just my .02

I agree with most of you that the Backlot Tour rumors are likely true. I also miss the original tour - took hours and you really saw moviemaking magic. I would hope they would keep the backstage tour theme somehow, but I won't hold my breath.

they can do what they want to space mountain, don't use it anyway (just as long as they keep TTA open!)

as for backlot tour, think it's a good atraction to have at hollywood studios, fits the moovie theme very well.

wouldn't dream of a replacement for that
I thought me and my mom were the only ones that liked TTA I will have to look for the self portrit to put on.:cool1: :scared1: :rotfl2:

Before last year, the last time I was at Disney World was 1996 as a child. When we went last year for the first time since then, most of the backlot was gone, and was now Lights, Motors, Action show. I was extremely disappointed, especially since I hate Catastrophe Canyon, so the only reason I do the Backlot was to see the houses and such, but now that's mostly gone, except for a few car props and such. Very disappointing.

I have no problem with tthem closing the backlot, I loved it years ago but now I really don't see the point. Would love to see a new ride in that spot, or any spot for that matter(can't wait to try TSM in October).

I do hope they keep the TTA open, my kids absolutely love the ride(go on it about 3 times each time we are in the MK), and it would be ashame to see it closed.

Once upon a time, what was known as Disney-MGM Studios was actually a working studio. TV shows and movies were occasionally shot there, and animators could be seen busily working on things like "Mulan." The backlot tour and animation tour were exciting peeks behind the scenes.

Then along came the Big Hat, and the whole high concept of the place as a tribute to 'Old Hollywood' where they made movies just went poof. :mad:

The place seems to have lost its original spark. It's a muddle.

If they want to extend Pixar Place, and add more Pixar-related attractions, I say, "Great!" The park needs something. And TSM is a wonderful addition. There have been rumors about a Ratatouille-based ride (possibly a coaster).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter