The Disney Visa NIGHTMARE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only real complaint I got out of the original post was that the Disney logo was not on the denial letterhead. What did I miss?

PS- I still get pre-approved stuff at my home. The problem is that it is addressed to my father, who is dead and has never lived with me.

Riddle me this mr. freeze? What kind of a car 4 candidate carries the disney credit card ?

Are we discussing the Disney Visa card or playing "disqualify opinions and evidence that disagree with my own?"

Again, your choice. If you want to go with Option 1, be my guest with the floor, I'm eager to hear. If you're sticking with Option 2, I concede: as far as I can tell, you should be named World Grand Champion of "disqualify opinions and evidence that disagree with my own."

-WFH

The only real complaint I got out of the original post was that the Disney logo was not on the denial letterhead. What did I miss
This was symbolic and/or symptomatic of Disney turning their back on determining who their own "best customers" are.

By slowly morphing the MKC into the Disney Club into the Disney Visa, the program has become less about rewarding certain groups of important customers (first, workers for Disney's partners, later, Disneyites rabid enough to pay for the priviledge) and more about increasing Disney's profit margin.

Leaving "Disney" off a credit rejection form wasn't a Capital Offense, it was just a Straw That Broke Some Camel's Back.

-WFH

Again, your choice. If you want to go with Option 1, be my guest with the floor, I'm eager to hear.

You probably missed it - buried somewhere on pg 9. I happen to agree with those that feel the card is poorly marketed and hardly a viable replacement for something which used to be available to everyone.

Are we discussing the Disney Visa card or playing "disqualify opinions and evidence that disagree with my own?"

No disqualification here - just curious.

Originally posted by Walt's Frozen Head
This was symbolic and/or symptomatic of Disney turning their back on determining who their own "best customers" are.

By slowly morphing the MKC into the Disney Club into the Disney Visa, the program has become less about rewarding certain groups of important customers (first, workers for Disney's partners, later, Disneyites rabid enough to pay for the priviledge) and more about increasing Disney's profit margin.

Leaving "Disney" off a credit rejection form wasn't a Capital Offense, it was just a Straw That Broke Some Camel's Back.

-WFH
Okay, but I think it is a stretch to say: Because Bank One forgot the Disney logo, Disney is turning their back on loyal customers. -Just my opinion.

I happen to agree with those that feel the card is poorly marketed and hardly a viable replacement for something which used to be available to everyone.
Why the 'tude in responding to my posts, if you agree with me on this?

I'm stepping up to the plate and offering myself as an "opposite chair" for those who disagree with mikeymars' valid points but can't stick to the topic when dealing with someone who was turned down for the card... are you such a person or not?

Is this thing on?

-WFH

Okay, but I think it is a stretch to say: Because Bank One forgot the Disney logo, Disney is turning their back on loyal customers. -Just my opinion.

One that mirrors my own... it just seemed to me that detail happened to be a focal point at the moment he went over the edge, and not the sum of the perceived problem.

-WFH

This thread has twisted and turned into some idealogical debate over Disney loyalty and the dissatisfaction some have with the Disney Visa program. Now we have WFH coming in to defend mikeymars against insults. What a waste of time this thread has become. Mikey obviously had no problem with Disney's new program or with Bank One because he applied for the Card.But he gets rejected. Now he blames Disney for partnering with a company like Bank One. I don't know much about Bank One except that in 2001 they made 2.6 BILLION and in 2002 they made 3.3 BILLION dollars. Maybe they did this be being cautious with who they lend money to. Maybe I should buy their stock. Now did Disney pick Bank One because it starts with the letter B and it was first on the list ? I doubt it. They probably researched various companies, short listed the best ones, then negotiated the best deal they could make for themselves. Anyone have a problem with that ? Why did Disney chose a Platinum level card ? Don't know. Are they targeting the wrong customers ? Don't know. Could they offer better benifits ? Of course, we all want more. But this isn't why mikey posted. He posted because he got rejected. I find it odd that a person who states he was rejected because he doesn't use the credit cards he has would apply for one history says he won't use, then make it his mission in life to find out why the name Disney didn't appear on his rejection notice.

Why the 'tude in responding to my posts, if you agree with me on this?

Poor attempt at humor. Sorry. But I would like to debate that riddle at a later time.

But this isn't why mikey posted. He posted because he got rejected.

It shouldn't matter what his reasons were for posting. He has a right to this forum and shouldn't be lynched because of his viewpoint regarding the way he was declined. Who are we to judge his position?

at least not by me. And he can post about any topic he wants but he better get accustomed to having others reject his opinions. My point is that this thread is being blown into some "greater cause" crusade when all it really is about is credit card rejection.

Originally posted by Walt's Frozen Head
So how about it? Y'all got anything of value to add, or you want to go the snide personal comments direction? Choose the weapon and feel free to take the first shot.

I'll stand by my comments about hyper-sensitivity. Basically, this person received a denial letter and didn't like the fact that it was a form letter with a blank space where "Disney" should have been.

This prompted a 21 paragraph rant containing, among other things, 2 months worth of chronicles. Additionally, it prompted 9 certified letters (or cc's of said letters) to Disney and Bank One executives, 2 phone calls and, I quote, "This is FAR from over."

If that's not being hyper-sensitive and overreacting, then I've never seen such things.

Remember, I only read the original post (and a few that followed mine this morning) and not the 11 pages worth of replies, so I am not being suckered into some philosophical debate about the diminished magic of Disney. This is strictly a reaction to the original post.

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
at least not by me. And he can post about any topic he wants but he better get accustomed to having others reject his opinions. My point is that this thread is being blown into some "greater cause" crusade when all it really is about is credit card rejection.

Exactly. Credit card rejection and the most severe overreaction I've seen in quite awhile.

I think one of the questions to ask is whether or not the reaction would have been the same had the letter said "Congratulations! Here's your new _________ BankOne Platinum Visa Card" where there obviously would have been the same blank space where the word "Disney" should have been. Since that seems to be what started this whole thread, I would be interested in seeing the answer. I have a feeling that it would have been a secondary thought ("Oh look Jane, they left off Disney--that's strange") and that letter would've quickly gone in the trash as soon as the card went into his wallet. Of course, since I don't know Mikeymars, this is only my opinion, which I'm entitled to before we go down that road. Also, Disney has the right to eliminate any programs that they want and decide what is the best course of action for them--if you don't like the programs that they've made available to you, vote with your dollars by not spending them with Disney.

I understand the issues regarding their decision to eliminate Disney Club and think that its a shame, but again, they can frankly do whatever they want--whether or not they decide to instate or eliminate a program is their choice, and I would bet that there was some serious thought and analysis that went into their decision... if someone doesn't think Disney factored in the repurcussions of lost revenue from disgruntled "rejectees" I'd bet my left arm that they'd be wrong. How many people do you think will boycott Disney because they didn't get a credit card? Relatively few, and the revenue they'll make on everyone else who has the card will more than make up for that. Just some thoughts...

They probably researched various companies, short listed the best ones, then negotiated the best deal they could make for themselves. Anyone have a problem with that ?
As usual, the answer all boils down to how you define "best", and if you really believe Disney's decision making process is in synch with what is in the best long term interests of the Walt Disney Company.

If you accept that Disney executive management truly undertands what is in the best long term interests of the company, and believe that they have those long term interests as their goal, then I suppose your answer would be "No, I don't have a problem with that."

However, if other Disney decisions have left you with the impression that managment might not really understand what is in the best long term interests of the company, or that maybe they are more concerned with short term interests, then your answer could be "Yes, I do have a problem with that."

Further, if you look with your own eyes at what the MKC to DC to Disney Visa transformation means to Disney customers, and don't believe it is in the best long term interests of the company, your answer would most certainly be "Yes, I do have a problem with that!"

I have a feeling that it would have been a secondary thought ("Oh look Jane, they left off Disney--that's strange") and that letter would've quickly gone in the trash as soon as the card went into his wallet.
That's pretty clear, since the implied motive of not wanting Disney's name associated with a rejection would not apply. That hypothetical doesn't prove the implied motive is not a real one, however.

if someone doesn't think Disney factored in the repurcussions of lost revenue from disgruntled "rejectees" I'd bet my left arm that they'd be wrong.
The question isn't so much "did they consider it", but "did they correctly consider it". And more to the point, did they also consider all of the other issues besides verifiable lost revenue in the next quarter.

Their recent track record on such decisions is not exactly sparkling.

Originally posted by rtkane
Out of curiosity, what's a "car 4 candidate"?

sorry - just caught this now.

there is a thread at the top of the rumors and news board titled "carpools defined" which should provide some assistance.

you're right - the decision reeks of money. I still say it causes segregation and is discriminatory in that it is not available to all fans and forces disclosure of personal information to obtain. This adversely affects those who have a sincere dedication to the place and are being turned down.

I've been know to go off on an issue myself at times and it's certainly one's right to do so in this case. Seems silly to me to put so much emotion, cost and effort into it but that's his choice.

Whether Disney made the "best" decision in chosing a company to associate with for this CC remains to be seen and we may never know. I'm not sure I'd call any of the national credit card companies that would produce this type of product as people I'd want to work for. Marriott uses the same company and I've had no problems with them from a consumer standpoint. I'm certain that Disney looked at the possibilities, took financial solvency issues into account and asked for bids from a few. They then chose the one they thought was best for THEIR needs. Will it work out good for Disney, time will tell and we may never know. We also don't know how it'll work out for the rest of us.

I'm still not convinced that Disney meant this CC as a replacement for the DC. The fact it's not available to everyone is unfortunate but not a requirement. I'm also not convinced that Bank One is turning down people that have truly good credit (to include the income to pay if they max it) just because of the model. Others, namely the OP, seem convinced they are. He seems to have more knowledge about it than many of us but unless I see an article or the like that states the same though, I will remain unconvinced. Show it to me in a newspaper or journal that seems credible and maybe I'll concede that issue, until then, not.

The facts in this thread are very simple. The OP got rejected for a CC and got a poorly worded for letter of rejection and a likewise poorly thought out initial response from Disney. The only other issue is that some people got turned down that reportedly have good credit. Does this reflect on Disney, sure, but not nearly to the degree some would say or imply. My sole reason for applying was to have access to possible discounts as I have plenty of CCs already. I didn't need it and could have lived without it but decided to get it. i don't have any plans that would involve a major credit issue like buying a new house and will have no debts come 3 years with the only one now being my house payment. I use my 2 main CC a lot (Marriott and Delta AMEX) and pay them off every month. I will not use the new CC for most things but did for the DCL cruise to try to get the $50 credit offered.

"However, if other Disney decisions have left you with the impression that managment might not really understand what is in the best long term interests of the company, or that maybe they are more concerned with short term interests, then your answer could be "Yes, I do have a problem with that."

Further, if you look with your own eyes at what the MKC to DC to Disney Visa transformation means to Disney customers, and don't believe it is in the best long term interests of the company, your answer would most certainly be "Yes, I do have a problem with that!"

I could be wrong, but I'm interpreting your comment to mean that you have a problem with Bank One if it was somehow related to the diminished benifits of MKC- DC- Rewards Visa. If so,I disagree. I'm fairly certain Disney selected Bank One for financial reason, which I have no problem with.

As for the Rewards portion of my post, that is solely Disney's responsibility and has nothing to do with Bank One. Could Disney offer more absolutely. Should they have ended DC, no. Will the new Visa offer better rewards later,after DC ends, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter