The Disney Tipping Info Thread *Updated 9.1.09*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, there will be 3 famillies meeting at the POP in April. We are booked at the hotel as a Grand Gathering, there will be 14 of us. We will have a couple of meals together, and I understand that we will pay more for gratuity but on the meals we don't have together do we still have to pay the higher gratuity beacause we are booked as a grand gathering? Just trying to work on a budget. Thanks

The gratuity has nothing to do with how you're booked. If you're seated as a party of 6 or more you have an automatic 18% gratuity. If you aren't then, you'll be able to tip at your discretion.

I'm not so sure that tipping, itself, is difficult as all. I think what makes it difficult is trying to avoid tipping at the rate expected by WDW. For example, what Tricia1972 pointed out wasn't a complication about tipping, but rather that a complication (the fact that the guests were part of a "Grand Gathering") did not apply.

I am going on my Disneymoon in August and we are going to be on the dining plan. I am trying to budget the money that we are going to spend because we will be poor married college students then. Lol. I was planning on budgeting $10 a meal for tips. Do you think that is enough for 2 people? I know that when I was a server, I never got that much for two people.

Can the $200 gift card be used for tipping at table service? Just a thought.:confused3

I know sometimes at restaurants they will authorize a larger amount than your bill assuming you will add a tip to it. Would they do this with the $200. gift card and if they did, would this mean any excess authorized would not be available to use? Also, can you use the gift card at counter service meals?

I am going on my Disneymoon in August and we are going to be on the dining plan. I am trying to budget the money that we are going to spend because we will be poor married college students then. Lol. I was planning on budgeting $10 a meal for tips. Do you think that is enough for 2 people? I know that when I was a server, I never got that much for two people.
Well, when Disney prints the recommended tip amounts at the bottom of your receipt - for your convenience - they calculate 18% of your total check excluding tax and 20% of your total check excluding tax.

It is customary to tip at the rate common in the area where one is dining, not at the rate in the area one is from; that you were never tipped $10 per table where you worked should not be a factor in how much you tip at Walt Disney World.

Given the amount you have budgeted, your TOTAL order excluding tax but including all components (entree, dessert, beverage times 2) MUST be in the $50 to $65 range. This includes any additional items you order that are NOT included in the dining plan such as a side dish, an appetizer, an alcoholic beverage... again, times two if applicable.

What is the norm for tipping at a buffet? I can't see tipping 18-20% of the meal price to someone for just refilling 1 or 2 soda's and clearing 1 or 2 plates per person.

What is the norm for tipping at a buffet? I can't see tipping 18-20% of the meal price to someone for just refilling 1 or 2 soda's and clearing 1 or 2 plates per person.

What you tip is entirely up to you. :goodvibes

The only times that tips are mandated at Disney are when you are a party of 6 or more or are using the DDE/TiW card. In instances where you are one of these two groups, there will be a gratuity of 18% added to your bill.

Beyond that, personal tipping habits are not an item for discussion (per the first post on this thread)

I read so much on these boards about tipping at the restaurants while on the dining plan. I know gratuities are no longer included on the dining plan and we will need to bring money with for that. We are a party of four two adults and two kids. Do they tell you what you must tip at the restaurants or is the amount up to you?

I'm trying to plan for our first ever trip to WDW. I see that TS rest. charge 18% for tipping. Others have recommended taking cash to pay tip as opposed to putting it on your card. Do you just tell the server that you want to pay cash for the tips? Is it discouraged? I'm curious what others do.

I read so much on these boards about tipping at the restaurants while on the dining plan. I know gratuities are no longer included on the dining plan and we will need to bring money with for that. We are a party of four two adults and two kids. Do they tell you what you must tip at the restaurants or is the amount up to you?

I'm trying to plan for our first ever trip to WDW. I see that TS rest. charge 18% for tipping. Others have recommended taking cash to pay tip as opposed to putting it on your card. Do you just tell the server that you want to pay cash for the tips? Is it discouraged? I'm curious what others do.

The amount you tip is up to you, unless you are a party of 6 or more or using the TiW card. Parties of 6 or more/TiW will have an automatic gratuity of 18% added to their bill. The gratuity can be paid in cash, on a room charge or on a credit card.

I have seen conflicting reports on whether or not the tip is included (either in the price or the 2 TS credits) for CRT breakfast. We will be using the dining plan's 2 TS credits for this meal. Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks!

Are the checks at Disney just like in the "real world" in that they have a line to add in the tip? If so, can I just write cash on the line and use our DxDP credits for the meal itself?
I am trying to avoid charging things back to the room.

Thank you!

I know this is a little late, since there aren't many days left but I wanted to give anyone using the dining plan for the CP package a warning.

We used the dining plan for our meal at Coral Reef - which is a Tier 1 restaurant - so it was $53.99/pp if we paid out of pocket. Of course, for that price, you get appetizer, entree and dessert, along with a non-alcoholic beverage.

I knew that the appetizer wasn't included on the basic dining plan, and I was good with that. I just wanted my regular meal, and the reserved seating, since I was going to listen to my daughter sing with her college choir.

I had no qualms with the meal, or with the server. However, when I got the check - we were charged the full $53.99 pp fee - since the tip is based on the total price of the meal - we ended up having to pay a tip that was about $12 higher than it would have been based on the price of the meal we actually ate. I would have left the appropriate tip, but I didn't want to insult the server, since she did do an adequate job. If the tip is to be based on the full 3 course price, we should have been offered it. Otherwise the price should have reflected what we actually ordered.

Anyway - be forewarned - your tip may be more than you expect at the higher end restaurants!

I understand you paid with the DDP, but since you did get the 'package', didn't you have the option to get the appetizer in this case? Doesn't seem reasonable that they would charge you full price for something you didn't get.

We visited WDW in May 2007 and had a WONDERFUL time. We did have the Dining Plan at the time (it has since changed!)

We are thinking of another trip but we just read how gratuities are NO LONGER included in the Dining Plan. How did most of you figure the tip then or was it on the bill and you were EXPECTED to pay it?

I'm a little perturbed at the changes Disney is incorporating. I'm not so sure it's even worth going anymore. We had a wonderful memory but even then (in 2007) on the Disney Dining Plan we were restricted as to how we could use it - especially at EPCOT (around the world places). We wanted to use our snack credits there and couldn't. Everyone (except one place) said we had to use cash or TS credits for stuff. We were not happy with this. Especially when we were looking forward to trying little stuff from the worlds.

How have you all managed with the Dining Plan now? It seems like now it would make more sense to get the CS Dining Plan and forgo the TS plan altogether? I'm not cheap but I'm not spending tons of $$ on tips when I'm already paying a HUGE markup on food and drinks as it is!

-T

We visited WDW in May 2007 and had a WONDERFUL time. We did have the Dining Plan at the time (it has since changed!)

We are thinking of another trip but we just read how gratuities are NO LONGER included in the Dining Plan. How did most of you figure the tip then or was it on the bill and you were EXPECTED to pay it?

I'm a little perturbed at the changes Disney is incorporating. I'm not so sure it's even worth going anymore. We had a wonderful memory but even then (in 2007) on the Disney Dining Plan we were restricted as to how we could use it - especially at EPCOT (around the world places). We wanted to use our snack credits there and couldn't. Everyone (except one place) said we had to use cash or TS credits for stuff. We were not happy with this. Especially when we were looking forward to trying little stuff from the worlds.

How have you all managed with the Dining Plan now? It seems like now it would make more sense to get the CS Dining Plan and forgo the TS plan altogether? I'm not cheap but I'm not spending tons of $$ on tips when I'm already paying a HUGE markup on food and drinks as it is!

-T

I tip like I would if I were paying oop. I divide by 5, that gives me the 20% I tip, write cash on the slip for the server and give him/her the cash tip. We looked at the qsdp for this trip, but one ts made it more worthwhile for us to get the ddp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter