The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

So many great years together for many of you. I had my slow start, and now Melissa and I are looking forward to my first and both of our last marriages. And because "things were too quiet around the house" (please note some sarcasm.) We agreed with the kids to add a pup to our home. Meet Willow, our Catahoula Leopard Mix we just rescued.

View attachment 425296

She is a ball of energy, but also so sweet, though she has potential congenital heart defect called PDA or Patent Ductus Arteriosus. It can be fixed surgically and we have her going to someone Thursday to confirm it and look at surgical options. We are truly committed rescuers, not for one moment did we consider any other option then to find out what could be done so she can have a long healthy life with us.

View attachment 425294

And who could resist that face? Even bug as taken to her (excuse the mess, I am mid project in the library.)

View attachment 425297

Thought the cats may beg to differ.

View attachment 425298
Those are some, uh, healthy looking cats there. Hope they don't lay on the poor dog.

Kris,

I cooked some asparagus on the grill Friday evening and although good it came out a little dry. Can you tell me Bert's secret for keeping the asparagus that he cooks moist on the grill? Maybe some olive oil/water misting bottle spray? Once I spread a little butter over them they were fine but I wondered if he was willing to share his secret.

The rest of the interwebz are probably interested too. :surfweb:

Ed

Bert is napping at the moment. When he is up, I will have him chime in. I can help with he blanches them first, then sits in marinade (it has lemon and olive oil and other things) then rubs grill with oil to keep asparagus from sticking and roasts. Then we put cheese on it. I will have him drop I soon!

When I cook, I make reservations!

Kris,

I cooked some asparagus on the grill Friday evening and although good it came out a little dry. Can you tell me Bert's secret for keeping the asparagus that he cooks moist on the grill? Maybe some olive oil/water misting bottle spray? Once I spread a little butter over them they were fine but I wondered if he was willing to share his secret.

The rest of the interwebz are probably interested too. :surfweb:

Ed

Wrap them in bacon.

I think PaHunter might be on to something with the Bacon...

Here’s my recipe:

Ingredients
Asparagus (this should be a given)
1 tsbp kosher salt
Black pepper
2oz lemon juice
2oz extra virgin olive oil
Grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
1. Trim the asparagus ends and blanch the asparagus in salted, boiling water for 3-5 minutes
2. Mix lemon juice, olive oil, 1 tbsp salt and pepper to make a marinade
3. Add blanched asparagus (while hot) to the marinade, cover and let sit for 30 min to 2 hours
4. Remove asparagus from the marinade and grill over medium temperature for 3-4 minutes, flip and grill 3-4 minutes more. Be careful not to totally torch the tips
5. Remove from the grill and add Parmesan cheese to taste

Notes
1. The marinade doesn’t taste great on its own. Discard when done.
2. You can use any acid you like (vinegar, wine, etc.), just make sure it’s not overpowering
3. The large amount of salt seems to be necessary, but you can play with other spices as well, or use cayenne pepper - for Nick, you can use Tony’s for this - it works great (1.5 tbsp of Tony’s and omit the salt)

I hope that helps. Ed, for your issue I think blanching the asparagus will fix the issue.

Or, Bacon. Everything is better with bacon.

Here’s my recipe:

Ingredients

Here I was thinking it was pears

Everything IS better with bacon. Even pears

Here’s my recipe:

Ingredients
1 tsbp kosher salt
Black pepper
2oz lemon juice
2oz extra virgin olive oil
Grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
1. Trim the asparagus ends and blanch the asparagus in salted, boiling water for 3-5 minutes
2. Mix lemon juice, olive oil, 1 tbsp salt and pepper to make a marinade
3. Add blanched asparagus (while hot) to the marinade, cover and let sit for 30 min to 2 hours
4. Remove asparagus from the marinade and grill over medium temperature for 3-4 minutes, flip and grill 3-4 minutes more. Be careful not to totally torch the tips
5. Remove from the grill and add Parmesan cheese to taste

Notes
1. The marinade doesn’t taste great on its own. Discard when done.
2. You can use any acid you like (vinegar, wine, etc.), just make sure it’s not overpowering
3. The large amount of salt seems to be necessary, but you can play with other spices as well, or use cayenne pepper - for Nick, you can use Tony’s for this - it works great (1.5 tbsp of Tony’s and omit the salt)

I hope that helps. Ed, for your issue I think blanching the asparagus will fix the issue.

Thanks Bert. Blanching helps definitely because it pre-cooks the stalk in the hot water meaning less time on the grill. I thought it was olive oil and SOMETHING (lemon juice is an acid that helps break down the tough fibers).

And yes, bacon wrapped around popsicle sticks makes even those taste better. Thanks for the advice.

Ed

And who could resist that face?
I need another animal like I need a hole in the head ,LOL, but I woulda taken her home.
Picture of the cats is hilarious

as Melissa said "I think our zoo is complete. 2 cats, 2 dogs, 2 exotics (tortoise and hamster) and a couple fish."

I know the cats don't know what to do with this puppy. Its so much speed, energy and puppy teeth!

Those are some, uh, healthy looking cats there. Hope they don't lay on the poor dog.

Melissa feeds them well. I think with this puppy around they are going to become thin cats. They have to really run to keep her from puppy nipping a tail.

And now for the update on Willow. It's confirmed she has a PDA and a rather large one. We are tentatively scheduled for August 27th for the catheter method and waiting for more information on the ligation method (open heart.) The difference in cost plus recovery time will allow us to make a good decision on how to move forward.

She is crate training and house training very well. Though in the past 8 days we have been to the vet many times. First Willow tested positive for roundworm and it was back to the vet for deworming meds, 2 days later it was back due to the puppy scratching bugs eye and needing meds for that to heal up. And then for follow ups for bug. The good news is her cornea scratch is healing up, though slowly.

We know we were destined to get Willow because we would do all we could to make sure she has a long healthy life. While the PDA surgery is 4-6K, its also a 12 week old puppy, and I spent 4k on my 9 year old Aussie when she blew out her ACL. Why wouldn't I do it for a such a young pup?? I think that's why we got this cutie.

cute puppy, DD3 is in Vet Tech college right now and actually just learned about the PDA, good luck with her, what a doll. a new puppy always excites things

Congrats on the marriage, we are still celebrating our 30th from this past June and Gizmo turned 2

View attachment 425822
Team Bradford Thank you for picture of your Gizmo. He Looks just like our Harmony. She was our orphan puppy. In late 2001 my wife's step father passed away and we got her. For the next 2 years we had to keep her in our upstairs apartment as our dog Bobbie hated her. In 2003 Bobbie had deteriorated to the point of it was time for us to do what was best for her. Harm came downstairs with us and became my constant companion. Where I went she had to come. When we got the Wookie she taught her to do the same. Thank you for bringing back treasured memories.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!