The DIS Campers Thanksgiving 2021 Home Foodie Thread

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
I'm here at home making pies and dessert for Thanksgiving tomorrow and thought, "bet other DIS'sers are too".

So here are our creations.

Actually there are two pumpkin and two pecan pies but I only put one of each in the photo for clarity. Tomorrow I'm headed for the homemade cranberry sauce on top of the cheesecake. (I LOVE cheesecake) :lovestruc.

I'm into food pix from now till Sunday night. Plenty of people (like me and DW) will have celebrated Tgiving all over the long holiday weekend.

So can anyone share turkey, stuffing, dessert, gravy, cranberry, and other goodie pix? I'll be your best cheer leader. :cheer2:

I hope all of you have a blessed Thanksgiving with whomever you share it with. Keep those pix coming till SUNDAY! This is NOT an-at-the-Fort food thread - most of us are AT HOME so show us what you have to eat.

Bama Ed

PS - my dad and mom are hosting tomorrow (doing turkey/dressing) so I will get more pix of mine then.

PPS - I'm bringing the homemade smashed potatoes in the morning (skins on, olive oil, garlic cloves, butter, parmesan cheese, s/p, and milk) and DW is making the classic green bean casserole. ::yes::

Last edited:
Is the browning on top an egg wash or milk, Jimmy? It looks great. ED PS - I can see the sugar sprinkle on top...

I'm working in the emergency room tomorrow so DW and daughters are going to her folks. I'll cook here at home on Friday. My father's family will be coming over from Tuscaloosa as well. Getting a head start on two main dishes.

Cornbread being cooked for dressing.20211124_184551.jpg

20211124_184537.jpg

The bird is being allowed some time out of the fridge. I took it out of freezer 3 days ago to allow it slow thaw time. I got the peanut oil out and ready to fry it up.
20211124_184545.jpg

Is the browning on top an egg wash or milk, Jimmy? It looks great. ED PS - I can see the sugar sprinkle on top...
I brushed with milk and then sprinkled cinnamon/sugar (or cinnamon/splenda) on top. Thanks!

I'm wishing now I had the real pumpkin pie as I look at yours....ah well, soon enough. The pumpkin ice cream pie will be fun to try...

@tiggerdad Cornbread dressing sounds good! Glad you will still get to enjoy your family time on Friday.

As you have to work tomorrow, I am curious how many specifically Thanksgiving related visits you will see? I hope not many, of course, but........

We are hosting DW's and my family, sans my dad and his wife (they came up this past weekend). I worked today, came home and cleaned up the house. DW cooked a turkey today. It was one we have had in the freezer for a long time. We have another one we will cook tomorrow. DW was worried the one that had been in the freezer for months wouldn't be any good. It also wasn't very big, so 2 it will be. We aren't big bakers, so it is store bought pies for us. I think there is a pumpkin and a pecan. The rest will be pretty standard fair. Stuffing (although we may do Stove Top this year) Neither of us are fond of stuffing in the bird. Mashed potatoes, fried green beans. I usually do wilted lettuce, but my sister and I are the only ones that like it and my sister has to work tomorrow. Not sure what else DW has planned. I'm not a huge traditional Thanksgiving food person, but it's what everyone else expects and DW likes it.

j

I'm here at home making pies and dessert for Thanksgiving tomorrow and thought, "bet other DIS'sers are too".

So here are our creations.

Actually there are two pumpkin and two pecan pies but I only put one of each in the photo for clarity. Tomorrow I'm headed for the homemade cranberry sauce on top of the cheesecake. (I LOVE cheesecake) :lovestruc.

I'm into food pix from now till Sunday night. Plenty of people (like me and DW) will have celebrated Tgiving all over the long holiday weekend.

So can anyone share turkey, stuffing, dessert, gravy, cranberry, and other goodie pix? I'll be your best cheer leader. :cheer2:

I hope all of you have a blessed Thanksgiving with whomever you share it with. Keep those pix coming till SUNDAY! This is NOT an-at-the-Fort food thread - most of us are AT HOME so show us what you have to eat.

Bama Ed

PS - my dad and mom are hosting tomorrow (doing turkey/dressing) so I will get more pix of mine then.

PPS - I'm bringing the homemade smashed potatoes in the morning (skins on, olive oil, garlic cloves, parmesan cheese, s/p, and milk) and DW is making the classic green bean casserole. ::yes::
Ed , that looks like a classic ny style cheese cake? I dont bake. At all. So im a bit jealous.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Ed , that looks like a classic ny style cheese cake? I dont bake. At all. So im a bit jealous.

Yes it is.

I've done all kinds of cheesecake (peanut butter, chocolate, pumpkin, etc.) but chose a NY basic, straight up style for today. Sadly, nobody (except me) likes the cherry topping on it so I went with making the cranberry sauce and choc syrup.

Back at ya, Assistant Chief!

@tiggerdad Cornbread dressing sounds good! Glad you will still get to enjoy your family time on Friday.

As you have to work tomorrow, I am curious how many specifically Thanksgiving related visits you will see? I hope not many, of course, but........

The first half of day is busy in the minor trauma rooms. These will be finger lacerations mostly and burns. Usually there is a lull after that for rest of day really.

We have to work one of winter holidays and I'm not working Christmas or New Years.

So naturally the power goes out at 715am and estimated time of repair is 11am. We can get the mash and green bean casserole done but it will be a compressed timetable.

At least I've already done my baking and not cooking a turkey today.

The outage affects over 200 customers around me.

Ed

Last edited:
Not good ed, hope you have some volts by now. Or you will be setting up the aliner to cook!

It is a staple on my side of the family. I don't remember a big family dinner (grandparents and others) without some kind of jello mold. It is not as big of a deal on Bert's side of the family. I do think it is something that cracks him up.

Nice turkey!!!
My mom, in the 70s, used to make one that was called stained glass cake or something like that. So it was every color of jello, cut into squares and then put into a jello mold. Lol. We tried unsuccessfully to make it last year. Mom can't remember how to make it. Some things shouldn't be revived and are best lived out in memories. I like the simple mold, that we may be able to do!

Everything looks amazing gang, especially the pecan pies! They are my kryptonite.
I despise jello in any shape or form. :crazy2: My mom used to make it with fruit as did my grandmother. She also had this green opaque mess she called "salad". I'm the only one in the family that can't abide jello.
We had Thanksgiving dinner at Cracker Barrell. It was pretty good, turkey with the trimmings and pecan pie. No family down here so low key on the day. At least my daughter and her BF will be here on Dec. 4th from Tacoma and then our other daughter- not by blood from MD will get here on the 8th with her new husband. The kids will be going to WDW several days while they're here and we'll do Christmas.
Any way, hope you all had a great Thanksgiving day and more for those continuing into the weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter