The DC’s On The DC – Triple D’s First Cruise and Lil D’s First Trip To The World

I think you're discussing chapter 12 when I'm still reading chapter 8. What the heck does a pillowcase have to do with anything?

Funny! I figured you might not know about that little tid-bit. You can order a pillowcase from ebay...just do a search for Disney Cruise Pillowcases (but since you're crunched for time) or you can just take a plain, white pillowcase, decorate it with something the little princess or prince likes (we found these great iron ons through Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Character-Mickey-Friends-Embroidered/dp/B001PYW2HO/ref=pd_sim_misc5 and they shipped really fast too). So once your done decorating it, place it in a gallon zippy bag with a few fabric markers and some candy for the characters to enjoy, make sure you put you cabin number on the bag, then leave it at Guest Services when you get on the ship. The last night, it will be delivered to your room with all the characters autographs on the pillowcase. Word is they even put the case on the little ones pillow. I hope this works out...this being our first time and all. I've heard of some not getting the case back so we shall see. I read about the candy idea and figured that should work...right?

I think you're discussing chapter 12 when I'm still reading chapter 8. What the heck does a pillowcase have to do with anything?

Here’s the trick to the pillow case thing…

You can bring a pillowcase with you and drop it off at guest services and they will get as many of the characters as possible to sign it and return it back to you. Put it in a zip-lock bag (or something similar) and mark it with your name and stateroom number. Actually, DCL will consider doing this for just about anything you care to bring and leave with them. A lot of folks bring mats for picture frames and get those signed. Here’s a good thread that discusses this in greater length…

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=263619

I didn’t think to mention this in my TR, because Max just ain’t interested in such so we never worried about it. But… I know of some young’ens that just might be very interested it this type of thing.

Y’all have fun.

Cool!

What's this? I have a little princess that might be interested...

Okay, so to address this question. They have princess meets in the main atrium and from what I can tell it is about 4 to 5 different Princesses that are set up there and the kiddos get in a line and one by one they get to go up to each princess and say hi and get their pictures taken. From what I gather, it is very good and perfect for all ages. Note this video from youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042-QkEk168 .

I'll try to get some pics from this....but I didn't notice Jasmine?

Okay…well now for the TR part of this, urr, well,..Trip Report. Where to begin, seeing that the plans of this goes back to about nine months it is truly hard to believe that this was completed.

Chapter 1: A Long Day’s Journey Into Night
The first part of this journey begins in our home town…if you can call it a town, it’s not, we are just a part of a really big county, but we call it home, Highlands Ranch, Colorado. A suburb, just south of Denver. The morning turned out to be just the perfect day to be getting away to the tropics. We wake up to a few inches of snow on the ground:scared1:. Of course I woke DD up to the ship’s horn to the tune of “When You Wish Upon A Star” and quickly opened her window so she could see the snow outside. A couple inches had fallen and it was only on the grassy parts.
So quick ride to the airport….if you call 45 minutes quick. We have to leave the house at 9:00 AM for a Noon flight (not bad). The roads were not in too bad of a condition, slushy, wet. So, SIL drops us off at DIA [by the way DW youngest S (my SIL), we offered to fly her up from Amarillo ($29 fights SWA) to house/dog sit while we were gone. Other than everything in our kitchen cabinets reorganized and rearranged (still can’t find certain pots and pans), a dint in my Pilot, and cleaning of the Master bath (that didn’t need it), that experiment worked out?!]. Here we are, 10:00 AM on a Saturday at DIA…the place is packed. We board the plane on time…but then sit…and sit, they held the plane for two people for 20 minutes, then…

We sit again, this time, waiting for an open de-icier, that’s right, mid-October in Denver, got to de-ice the plane…so by this time it is about 1:00 in the afternoon and we finally take off, but who cares we’re going to see Mickey on his Dream boat. So this is a 3 and a ½ hour flight and what do you ask did I do for that time, yes, I got into the cruising mode and watched….……………………. wait for it……………………… wait……………………………………

Speed 2: Cruise Control

Yes, I know, I just lost all two of you that were really looking forward to this TR, but what can I say, I figured it was a decent movie to watch on an airplane (not dirty), and I’ve never seen it. Plus, Ebert gave it a thumbs up back in the day when it came out and said “Movies like this embrace goofiness with an almost sensual pleasure. And so, on a warm summer evening, do I.” He said goofy, that’s good enough for me and it is about a cruise ship running afoul. So DD was set up with the iPad, which I stocked full of Disney movies for her and DW was comatosed on Dramamine.
IMG_0324.jpg
By 6:30ish we landed in the land of D, and what a great place to be. Other than the fact that it had been raining like cats and dogs there for the last 3 days and the palm tress were blowing sideways…but we had arrived. MCO!!! What a nice, clean inviting airport. You gotta love a place that looks like a mall…or not, either way we were to part of our destination.

I always like to think through things first before, well, anything, and so as soon as we get into the main atrium of MCO I quickly head up the escalators to the Hyatt (while DW and DD are enthralled with the fountains and the Disney Store) to get our room and get booked in and all.
IMG_0457.jpg
I must say, what a smooth process. I was able to check into my room on my phone that morning and I went right up to the kiosk and checked in. Then a bellhop asked if he could help with anything, as the keys were spit out of the machine, good thing too because he went to make sure we were listed as Disney cruisers and this way we would get our luggage picked up for us in the morning for transportation to the ship. Of course another reason I scampered up the steps (I know, it was an escalator) was because I knew the bags would not be to the claim area yet and why start tipping heavily now when I would the rest of the trip, i.e. completely bypassing the bellhop. Well a bellhop got me anyway, but he was very helpful, I really appreciated his help because I was a little out of it after the flight:confused:. He made sure we were on the list to get our luggage picked up the next morning and he told me that I can get everything done in the morning at the DCL desk downstairs by 8:30.

So time for my segue: Staying at MCO Before A Cruise

If you can or you plan on flying in the day before your cruise I highly recommend staying at the MCO/Hyatt the night before. When you check in, make sure to ask about the procedures for Disney cruise guests. You will get a handout with all the needed information and they will make sure that you are on the list to get your luggage picked up in the morning for transportation to the ship. In the morning, on your cruise day make sure you place all the luggage with the blue sticky tags provided to you by either Disney or your TA just inside your hotel room door by 8:30 that morning (I know, if you have never done this before it feels weird and you leave the room feeling that you will never see the bags again, but do not worry). Make sure you get some breakfast either before this or right after. MCO has a great food court with many quick options and of course you can start your cruise splurging early at Krispy Kreme there, I know I did, plus be sure to get a good cup of coffee. The Disney Cruise desk opens downstairs on level 1 on the B side of the Terminal at 8:30 as well. This is the best thing about staying there. At the DC desk they do everything that you would need to do at port except get any children registered for the kids club. They take your picture (this is for security purposes in order to verify you are who you say you are when you get on and off the ship at ports and I’m told this is a way they can have random pictures while on the cruise sent to your Shutters account/file, you get your cabin/KTTWC and you can place money on your account or place a credit card on the account at this time as well, and of course this is when you supply you travel documents to them too (DCL signature form, passports and/or birth certificates). They then set you up with your ME bus to the port and of course, the most important item…your boarding number!

Back to day 1: I get us checked in at the Hyatt and go to find the rest of the crew at the MCO Disney Store where I find DD right in the middle of a Disney charades game with one of the CM’s right in the middle of the floor in the store. How cool is that?! The CM proceeds to give her a Magical Experience card and a first visit pin :thumbsup2.
IMG_0452.jpg
We go down to pick up our luggage and I couldn’t have timed it better. The luggage just started coming out. We wisk ourselves up to our room (great rooms, huge bathrooms too) and get our first real look outside. What horrible weather here too. Raining, palm trees going sideways, yuck. So our plans to swim in the very cool hotel pool that overlooks the runways is out of the question…so off to dinner. DD’s favorite place to eat is Chick-Fil-A (we eat there at least once a week) and when I told her they have one at the airport, she flipped. But it’s a food court with a great big beautiful aquarium in the middle which DD loves and so Chick for her and Quiznos for us.
IMG_0443.jpg
Next up, some well needed sleep, if I can, before this big adventure. Well, looks like more rain for Orlando, but the Cape should be clearing in the morning.

a7fc1663.jpg

Of course I woke DD up to the ship’s horn to the tune of “When You Wish Upon A Star” and quickly opened her window so she could see the snow outside.
Nicely played sir. There’s a memory that will stick with her.

[by the way DW youngest S (my SIL), we offered to fly her up from Amarillo ($29 fights SWA) to house/dog sit while we were gone.
Certainly a better idea then a vacant house and the cost of a kennel (at that price)… if I could get fights for prices like that around my neck of the wood, I’d even consider spending more time with the realitives.

Other than everything in our kitchen cabinets reorganized and rearranged (still can’t find certain pots and pans),
Thisnk of it as an adventure. Pluse… every time you can’t find something, it will remind you of cruising DCL.

waiting for an open de-icier, that’s right, mid-October in Denver, got to de-ice the plane…
Yep… that’s a different reality then the one I’m more accustomed to.

It could have been worse… At least you weren’t watching something like say…
“Ghost Ship” :eek:

I always like to think through things first before, well, anything,
Good DisDad Planing

and so as soon as we get into the main atrium of MCO I quickly head up the escalators to the Hyatt (while DW and DD are enthralled with the fountains and the Disney Store) to get our room and get booked in and all.

Like I said…
So time for my segue: Staying at MCO Before A Cruise…

Excellent Info. I may have to post a link back to this over in my TR.

I get us checked in at the Hyatt and go to find the rest of the crew at the MCO Disney Store where I find DD right in the middle of a Disney charades game with one of the CM’s right in the middle of the floor in the store.

You won’t be seeing that at the local Toys-R-Us

We go down to pick up our luggage and I couldn’t have timed it better. The luggage just started coming out.
Win!!!

What horrible weather here too. Raining, palm trees going sideways, yuck. So our plans to swim in the very cool hotel pool that overlooks the runways is out of the question…

:headache:

Well, looks like more rain for Orlando, but the Cape should be clearing in the morning.
:woohoo:

I also like the choice of Allan a’Dale to close out the post. A good Disney storyteller, voiced by a good musical storyteller to punctuate a good story (and a character form one of the Disney films of my childhood… bonus).

Of course I woke DD up to the ship’s horn to the tune of “When You Wish Upon A Star” and quickly opened her window so she could see the snow outside.
Isn't that kind of a mixed message? :confused3 :lmao:

I'm in awe of the fact that you're willing to publicly admit it. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I get us checked in at the Hyatt and go to find the rest of the crew at the MCO Disney Store where I find DD right in the middle of a Disney charades game with one of the CM’s right in the middle of the floor in the store. How cool is that?! The CM proceeds to give her a Magical Experience card and a first visit pin :thumbsup2.
Wow, getting the Disney experience... at the airport.:thumbsup2

Well, looks like more rain for Orlando, but the Cape should be clearing in the morning.
At least it isn't snow.

So I just added a few photos to the TR Day 1....It took me awhile to upload them last night.

Nicely played sir. There’s a memory that will stick with her.

Certainly a better idea then a vacant house and the cost of a kennel (at that price)… if I could get fights for prices like that around my neck of the wood, I’d even consider spending more time with the realitives.
I use it to send the girls out of town, that way I can get caught up on all my shows.
Thisnk of it as an adventure. Pluse… every time you can’t find something, it will remind you of cruising DCL.
Ahhh, very wise, very wise, great suggestion.:worship:

Excellent Info. I may have to post a link back to this over in my TR.
Please do, I did alot of research on this and nothing was ever concise. I was worried I was missing something, but it all came together and worked out splendidly...as you will see for day 2.

I also like the choice of Allan a’Dale to close out the post. A good Disney storyteller, voiced by a good musical storyteller to punctuate a good story (and a character form one of the Disney films of my childhood… bonus).
Rob, if you don't mind I would like to take a nod from your TR and include a favorite Disney character from my youth to close out every TR report. I like how it kinda puts and end and an explanation mark on the report along with a stamp of completeness.

Once again...thank you sir!

Isn't that kind of a mixed message? :confused3 :lmao:
You have to keep 'em guessing.

I'm in awe of the fact that you're willing to publicly admit it. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:
I'm comfortable with it, really, I am.

At least it isn't snow.
True, very true.

I'm in. Great start to your TR. Nice info on staying at MCO before the cruise. I learned something new. Can't wait for the next update.

Rob, if you don't mind I would like to take a nod from your TR and include a favorite Disney character from my youth to close out every TR report. I like how it kinda puts and end and an explanation mark on the report along with a stamp of completeness.

Once again...thank you sir!

Mind? Not at all… there are no rules for writing TRs, so feel free to barrow ideas as you see fit. Lord knows I’ve learned a few ins and outs from those that have posted before me.

Looking forward to the next update.

Hi there--just hopping on to your trip report from Goofy's trip report that's still in process. Can't wait to hear more! We're going on our first cruise in June 2012.

By the way--I grew up in Littleton, my brother's family lives in Highlands Ranch. Great city!

Hey Dave!

Followed you over from Rob's TR and wanted to make sure I kept up with a fellow DIS Dad. Looks like you're off to a great start!

Before I get too deep into day 2 I want to provide a little back story. I’ve always dreamed of going on a cruise. Sorry, but I grew up watching, um, ack, (clearing throat)….The Love Boat and even younger McHales Navy (love Tim Conway)….hey, it was set on a boat PT 73 that is.
mchales-navy256msn4tv.jpg
So we get up in the morning, still soggy and blah outside, but you can see a glimmer of hope in the sky from our hotel balcony. The trick this morning was to get the bags for the ship placed just inside our hotel room door by 8:30 AM…done. Next up was to go check into the DCL stand and then get a bite to eat for breakfast after that. No biggy right? When I went through the final registration online the only option for me was a port time of 12:30 to 1:30, I figured we could do that, take our time, have a nice easy morning of it. (Do you see where I might be going with this…)
We place the bags by the door and say bua-bye to them, hopeful to see them again that day. We leave our carry-ons back in the deep part of the room so they don’t take those and off to check-in and breakfast we go. A quick jaunt down to the DCL desk in the airport (Level 1/B-side). It was strange because I expected some lines and a lot of people. No such thing. We go through the standard Disney rope line (long walk, right turn, another long walk, left turn…you get the idea) to get to the front desk and the CM’s are jumping over each other to help us. First thing, she gives us our boarding number…#3. I think, well, not bad, not #1, but we aren’t due at the port tell 12:30 so that will work. She then checks all of our documents.
P.S I might get my DisDad membership revoked for this
(I decide to be cheap on this one and go with a little luck and some prayers and not go the passport route the first time. Prayers you say, well yes, I’ve read the horror stories how people are stuck at a port and not able to return to the mainland due to insufficient documentation.)
The documents are in order! (I had to reorder the birth certificates for all of us. Mine looked like a civil war bond note with a Sunday school star for the seal, DD- not sure where hers got lost to in the house, but ordering her’s and mine, easy. As for the DW, well, she was born in El Salvador to U.S. citizens. Believe me, we had tons of copies of the article but nothing with a raised seal. So off to petition the U.S. Dept. of State for a copy of the birth aboard certificate. Not cheap and I also decided to use Vital Check so at least the process would be tracked. It took about 2 and ½ months, but I must say, that is the coolest looking cert I’ve ever seen. All 3D and if you hold it up to the light an embossed eagle can be seen on the whole document.) We then get our pictures taken for the facial recognition and security purposes. Now, here is the kicker, she proceeds to tell us that we will be on the first ME bus to the port that will leave at 9:45. It’s already 9:00!!! :scared1:

So now I feel like the scene in….. ?

Richard-Attenborough-The-Great-Escape_1.jpg

“They found Tom!”

So now for a new plan…nobody has eaten yet, so I send DW/DD back up to the MCO food court to get fed, while I run to the other side of the hotel, back to our room to get the carry-ons and check out real quick. Check out was smooth of course. I meet back up with the crew; DD is a nut for Krispy Kreme so she is good to go, DW wasn’t sure what to get for me so I get myself a coffee and a sugar donut from KK. Now, let’s get back down to the ME loading area with time to spare. Now 9:30. We are looking for the ME host holding the Goofy sign (of course!). Well, no Goofy sign anywhere…. when I spot a lady holding the sign tucked under her arm, I walk up to her and she says, “we’ll be loading in a moment, what group are you with?” Um, goofy!?! “Ohhhh you’re my other Goofies!” “Come on, the bus is waiting!” What?????????? I know, they said the bus would load at 9:45, but lesson learned. Of course there are only 3 seats left on the bus, and I must say…some of the stares we got from the people on the bus, they were…well….COME ON FOLKS YOU’RE STILL THE FIRST BUS OUT, NOT LIKE THE SHIP IS GOING TO LEAVE OR ANYTHING!!! DD/DW get settled in towards the back of the bus while I get cozy with a fork lift operator and his family from Chicago.
ATeam.jpg

“I love it when a plan comes together!”

The trip to the port was great, and quite fast, especially when you’re talking fantasy football, that days football games and of course cruising, plus the MLB playoffs were still going on so the time flew by. The family I’m sitting around has been on 8 cruises before, 3 of them Disney and they were just as jacked as me. The sun started to break, everyone on the bus started to cheer and clap…what fun. Then, as we crested the top of the Bennett Causeway, off to the left side of the bus…the Disney Dream…in all her glory.

They let us off at the side of the building because it is so windy and we go right around the corner to security and up the escalator. This is the hall I’ve been dreaming and reading so much about. There it is, right there in the middle of the building, the model of the Disney Wonder!!! I’m here! This is really going to happen. We walk over to the model and I notice the picture guy setting up. I know what is getting ready to happen. I talk to him and he tells me Capitan Mickey is running late, but that he should be there shortly. I get DW/DD to line up while I go to stand in the kids club registration line. Sure enough, that crazy mouse comes out and they are the first in line for him, :thumbsup2
SCAN0059.jpg

They soon join me in line and they place the kiddo transponder on DD. This allows her to get in and out of the kids clubs. Okay, so now time to go make ourselves comfy and people watch. A lot of the people really dress up for this and that makes it quite fun. We’re coming up on 11:30 and they are beginning boarding….this goes very quick. If you remember we got handed a ‘3’ …first the 1’s, then the 1’s and 2’s together…..now 1 through 3’s!!!! It’s time!!!!!!!!

the-rescuers.jpg

DAY 2: Continued…

Steamboat-willie.jpg

I hope I’m still keeping a few of you engrossed…

Well, if not, I’m doing this for my own repose.

We get our picture taken and then cross over to the Dream. As I approach the CM who announces our name, I’m thinking, I need to have him announce something nifty here….na…this is our first cruise, got to go with the last name. But how cool is it to have your name announced and have the CM’s gathered around clapping for you, just a great experience.

We then stand in awe in the main atrium, a very beautiful and elegant area. We are amazed at just how narrow the ship is though. We then go up the main staircase to deck 4 and straight to the Vista Café…where GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes aka Rob (by the way...please read his trip report. You can access it from the link in his name. He is really raising the bar when it comes to a TR and buy far has a very engrossing prose :worship:) informed me of some delectable treats…and he was right…they are free.! The CM was just placing some fresh pastries and goodies out too. The perfect appetizer for lunch. We then go up to deck 5 as it was almost noon and time for the Kids Clubs aka The Oceaneer’s Club (ages 3-7) and the Oceaneer’s Lab (ages 8-12) to open up (I’ll go more in depth to these a little later on). This turned out to be the perfect time to tour the clubs. It was great to talk with several of the CM’s and calm DW’s nerves about leaving her “baby” with strangers. What a great bunch of young people who really lover their jobs and what a fun place to leave your kiddos for some time away from the adults. DD sat right down and started doing some crafts and she was the first to sign a welcome sign that they hung up. We stayed there for a little longer, but lunch was in the plans.

We headed down to the Enchanted Garden restaurant on deck 2 which offers a buffet lunch with some great offerings. I’ve heard that Cabanas can be quit crowded so we thought we would give this a try. As it turns out, EG was crowded too, but it cleared out very fast and the line moved fast for the food plus we were able to find a table and they had a lot of open tables by the time we were done eating. I couldn’t even tell you what we had other than I had the key lime pie (we don’t get good key lime pie in Colorado). I think we were just so excited we didn’t take stock.
By now it was about 1:30 so it was time to check to see if the cabin was ready yet. They were just finishing up. We let DD open the door with her card (that’s kinda her thing for hotel rooms). Now I know most of the rooms are the same on the Dream, at least the same layout, those with verandas anyway, but what a nice room/cabin. Even though this room had been booked before by hundreds of people, it felt so brand new, as if we were the first people to sail in it. We received a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with an extended verandah. It extends an extra 5 feet from the rest of the ship and the cabins above. This gives you room for 4 on the verandah with two lounge chairs a table and two easy chairs. From the verandah, if you look back at the ship you can see it all.
[I highly recommend this category of cabin, mainly for the extended verandah]

Within minutes of stepping into the cabin our steward came by to introduce himself and see if we needed anything at all.
[Note: at this point always ask the steward for ice. From that point on they will always have your ice bucket stocked full of ice..which is a good thing]:thumbsup2

His name was Bagrab and he was awesome. He kept the room tidy at all times and really looked out for us and yet…it seemed like we never saw him but always felt his presence and handy work.
Of course we have to order from room service and Mickey Ice Cream Bars, cookies, cheese plate and the fruit plate were on order.
[Note: We read on several sites and in books that you have to order the cheese plate and the fruit plate. Fruit plate? Fruit Plate!?! Don’t bother, it is a bowl with a few grapes, apple slices, a few pieces of pineapple, and some melon. The cheese plate was not bad though, just needed more crackers…note to self: bring extra ritz’s for the next time]

Next up, get the FE up. (I learned that you can’t get your FE up fast enough…when the food arrived we had already received some presents outside our door. I packed the FE in our luggage and not the carry-on, but know better for next time.)
In my carry-on I did pack the pillow case we had embroidered with DD name with Rapunzel on it. With a wink and a nod while DD was out checking out the verandah...I ducked down to Guest Services to drop this off.
[Pillowcase you say? Yes, you can bring a blank pillowcase on board the DCL and if you drop it off at Guest Services on the first day it will be returned to your kiddo on the last night. We ordered ours through ebay and gradysmommy who did a great job embroiding it. I would recommend her products, and be sure to allow enough time for her to complete the project and get it to you in the mail. Place you pillowcase in a zippy bag, be sure to note your cabin number on it, include fabric markers (enough for all the characters to sign), and the most important item I learned for the boards….include some candies. We left some Dove miniatures for them. Let’s just say, it doesn’t hurt and with the what we received in return, it is the least you can do. You will be given a choice between Princesses or the Fab 8. For our DD I chose both, to date, my DD still sleeps on this ever since.]
Our luggage soon arrived and we got into unpacking mode while I introduced DD to the Disney Cartoon channel (she was engrossed and really liked some of the old toons). We we’re so excited and busy that we missed the Disboards meet at the Bon Voyage lounge. We were really bummed (or at least I was) because I was looking forward to meeting up with everyone I had been conversing with for the past months. Too bad.
Now off to the Lifeboat drill. Are’s was held in the Walt Disney Theater on the left side. Turns out they had three other muster locations in the theater as well. Our leader was great. He had everyone laughing at him by his antics, calling people out for where they lived and what not. Turns out, he was one of the actors on the Dream and in the last night’s performance he was Lumiere. At this I was able to meet up with my TA and fellow DisDad Mark “Prattpak” Pratt and his lovely wife. Turns out he was just 10 doors down from us.

Since the weather was turning for the worse outside Disney elected to stage the Sail Away party in the atrium (it was starting to rain really bad, and we were starting to get updates from the ships head navigator regarding the storm…more to come on that later). So the party was nice, a little cramped and tough to see what was going on, but we squared away on the Vista Café side of the atrium so we could enjoy some more treats along with some overpriced Adult beverages. DD got a close spot up next to the railing and she enjoyed the dancing and singing. After that we elected to check things out outside. The weather was getting worse and they just announced that we will be staying in port for the night and they will be switching the days around on us. Our Day At Sea will be tomorrow (Monday), followed by Nassau, then finish up with Castaway Cay. No problem, everybody is flexible…except, we have reservations for the day pass at the Comfort Suites Paradise Island (right next door to Atlantis). Well we’re still in port so I can make calls, I get through to the Comfort Suites and they switch the resi…no problem (so they say, more to come on that).

We take in the Golden Mickeys (I must say, I really enjoyed this show. I love how they encompass numerous characters and stories. It kept myself and the little one engrossed). After the show, it’s dinnertime. Tonight we get Animator’s Palate! If it was up to me I would want to eat here every night, but… We get seated and soon or tablemates join us. We were hoping to be able to sit with Prattpak and crew, but he was not able to change the seating assignment due to the fact that we had a child traveling with us and they did not, oh well. So we get seated with a family from Columbia. They have three adorable children so we figure, cool, something for Lil D to do except…..and don’t get me wrong here but, English was not the language of choice. I was actually looking forward to this part of the cruise, meeting new people and enjoying a great meal with them. So much for that. The dad could speak a little, but that was about it. A lot of smiles and nods would exist for the rest of the cruise.

Next up….The Meal and the storm.

4116395260_f497e1db1f_o.jpg

Dave!
First… Excellent work.
Second… I missed where you posted the first half of this chapter (we were traveling at the time), so I’ll go back and get into that one first.

Sorry, but I grew up watching, um, ack, (clearing throat)….The Love Boat and even younger McHales Navy (love Tim Conway)
No need to apologize. I don’t really want to admit to the stuff I watched as a kid either (and I guarantee that some of it was worse then “Love Boat”)

When I went through the final registration online the only option for me was a port time of 12:30 to 1:30, I figured we could do that, take our time, have a nice easy morning of it. (Do you see where I might be going with this…)

I’ve got my suspicions

First thing, she gives us our boarding number…#3.

Score! The #1s go to the concierge guests; of the next 11 possible loading numbers… you did good.

Mine looked like a civil war bond note with a Sunday school star for the seal
:lmao: I love this description.

Now, here is the kicker, she proceeds to tell us that we will be on the first ME bus to the port that will leave at 9:45. It’s already 9:00!!!
Suspicions confirmed… the other shoe just droped.

We are looking for the ME host holding the Goofy sign (of course!).

Perfect…

Well, no Goofy sign anywhere….

Not so perfect…

“Ohhhh you’re my other Goofies!” “Come on, the bus is waiting!” What??????????

:eek:

I know, they said the bus would load at 9:45, but lesson learned.

There is just something about catching the shuttle over to the terminal that always seems to be the biggest adventure and unknown of the trip. I’ve done it three different ways, and it’s always a bit dicey. We always get there… but it’s always just a might stressful.

some of the stares we got from the people on the bus, they were…well….

They’ll live…

“I love it when a plan comes together!”

:thumbsup2

Then, as we crested the top of the Bennett Causeway, off to the left side of the bus…the Disney Dream…in all her glory.

Ahhhhhh… memories…

Another score! And a great picture as well.

DAY 2: Continued…

I hope I’m still keeping a few of you engrossed…

:wave2:

Well, if not, I’m doing this for my own repose.

That’s the attitude I take… If you write for others… it won’t be you doing the writing.

It was great to talk with several of the CM’s and calm DW’s nerves about leaving her “baby” with strangers. What a great bunch of young people who really lover their jobs and what a fun place to leave your kiddos for some time away from the adults.

This is one of those spots where DCL shines. Their staff to child ratio is just way beyond the rest of the lines. I’m glad that your girl took to the idea and look forward to hearing more about it.

I couldn’t even tell you what we had other than I had the key lime pie (we don’t get good key lime pie in Colorado). I think we were just so excited we didn’t take stock.

We did the same. I know it was good; I don’t remember what it was.
But the “Key Pie” is awesome.

We received a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with an extended verandah.

Score again…

Next up, get the FE up. (I learned that you can’t get your FE up fast enough…when the food arrived we had already received some presents outside our door.

That was quick. How many cabins were in the exchange with y’all (and how big a suitcase did it take to bring the goodies… never mind answering the last one… I’ll read about it when that chapter comes around).

…I did pack the pillow case we had embroidered with DD name with Rapunzel on it. With a wink and a nod while DD was out checking out the verandah...I ducked down to Guest Services to drop this off.

Good work, and a nice explanation of this process.
It’s one that a lot of folks miss.

…I was able to meet up with my TA and fellow DisDad Mark “Prattpak” Pratt and his lovely wife. Turns out he was just 10 doors down from us.
There’s a DisDad Meet that will be hard to match

Since the weather was turning for the worse outside Disney elected to stage the Sail Away party in the atrium
Sorry to hear that, but hopefully it will clear up before too long.
That’s the one thing that even Disney can’t control.

The weather was getting worse and they just announced that we will be staying in port for the night and they will be switching the days around on us. Our Day At Sea will be tomorrow (Monday), followed by Nassau, then finish up with Castaway Cay.
Interesting… that must have been one heck of a storm.
The dad could speak a little, but that was about it. A lot of smiles and nods would exist for the rest of the cruise.
This sounds oddly Sounds familiar

Next up….The Meal and the storm.
*** biting nails ***

Animator’s Palate – I had been perusing the menus and this is what we went with:
For DD Every night the same….oh to be a kid. Mac & Cheese, steak fries, and because our servers were so awesome, he placed one chicken strip on the plate as well, because he knows moms want to see the kiddos eat some protein too. He actually told us he tries to do this for all his little guys he serves.

DW - Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes - pasta purse filled with trufflec scented cheese and coated with a delicate champagne sauce. Followed by the Creamy Butternut Squash Soup garnished with chives and drizzled with sour cream. Because we are land-locked she went with the fish on most nights. Tonight the Grilled Pacific Black Cod with sautéed morel mushrooms on a yellow split pea puree. To end it all, the Sweet Temptations - a trio of crunchy walnut cake, pineapple financier, and lemon mousse.

ME – I started with the Sesame-flavored Rock Shrimp and Caramelized Onion Cheesecake - with Asian barbecue sauce and topped with micro greens. Yummmm, it was very good and a unique taste though when I ordered it I received quit the look from the server and this was our first night (he knew how to bond early with me) he proceeds to bring his favorite out as well. The Wild Mushroom Risotto and Porcini Twist - served with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Good as well, but the Asian BBQ sauce had burned a hole in my taste buds. I then tried the Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup with bacon bits and chives (it was okay, Bacon anyway). For the main course I went with the White Shrimp Pennette Pasta tossed with a basil and Reggiano Parmesan cheese sauce and topped with a parmesan cheese wafer though I wish I would’ve tried the Marinated Angus Beef Tenderloin carved to order on wasabi mashed potatoes with bok choy and a tamarind-barbecue reduction.
As you might be able to tell. The menu is centered around a Southeast Asian theme while not going to crazy with the flavors. I think they did a good job with this and I really enjoyed the ambiance of the room. To me, how they are able to have the Crush interact with the various tables around the room is purely mesmerizing.
Now, one of the coolest things DCL does for the little guys is that an hour into the meal the KC Counselors walk through the dining room as if to tell you…IT’S TIME. Plus you can’t miss them in their bright yellow shirts. Yes, time to send your children off to the KC so you can enjoy the rest of your meal, because as you know, kiddos bellies fill up fast and most can’t sit still for too long. This is a great option for the late dinners. They corral up the kids, get there id’s from their badges and you check them in right there in the dining room entrance.
And dessert for me was the Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake with whipped cream and raspberry coulis. Good, but not big enough, if you know what I mean.
DW and I then take a stroll along the outside on deck 4 and make our way back to the KC to pick up DD for the night. The place is crazy!! The cool thing is that when you go to the KC front desk, they are able to tell which room your child is in by the armbands they have on and the sensors in the ceiling. We go right up to where they said she was (very cool). She hands us all of the evenings booty (which is mostly crafts and coloring items that she did in a very short amount of time.

We then settle down for the night. Tied up at port...while the storm passes

the-rescuers.jpg

Since the real effects of the storm and staying in port were not felt until the next day (and that would be a new chapter). I'm going to go into the experiences of those that decided to brave the storm and head out to sea.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
So, on the cruise we ran into some parents that have two kids in DD's school and one of them is in her grade too (different teacher). Anyway, we got to know them real well and DD and their kids hung out and we ended up spending most of CC day with them.

On their flight back, they sat next to one of the Harbor pilots (you can see his boat in one of the later videos) and he told them that the decision to leave the port by the Freedom of the Seas was the Captains choice. He told them about these videos and I though I would list them here.
When Cruise Ships Attack 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z5Ob5JiJbk
Assistant Waiter Victor falls onto our table aboard Freedom of the Seas. On 10/09/2011 the ship Encouters hurricane force winds at 100 plus miles per hour, 20-30 foot seas and the cruise ship leans 33 degrees just hours after leaving Port Canaveral... This video is on deck 3 Leonardo Dining Room main seating....You can hear the dishes falling to the ground and see fear and panic on just about everyone... People were holding onto their children as the dishes, tables, chairs fall....
Waiter "Eugene" falls during terrible storm that caused ship to lean 33 degrees... Main Seating Deck 3 Dining Room.... The Head Waiter is wearing the burgundy jacket and is seen bringing in a wheelchair for a passenger. The video certainly does not show the intesity that was felt by the people on board.
Feeling pretty intense on deck 3 main dining...
Waiter holding himself up because of the severe tilting of the ship...
After being sent to our cabins, we opened our balcony door to let you get a feel of what we were going through.... The ship started to lean and we had to shut the door to prevent nore water from rushing into our already flooded room. Our carpet was completely changed on day 3 after being soaked and the smell set in.... We were on deck 10 Junior Suite with a balcony.
Short footage of Leonardo Dining Room Deck 3 on Freedom of the Seas during terrible storm
Captain Ron speaking about the weather at the Crown & Anchor Society Party...
This is off the 10th floor balcony just after leaving Port Canaveral. The Winds were so strong.
The pilot boat taking us out of Port Canaveral on Sunday October 9, 2011 aboard Freedom of the Seas. The winds were so strong that the pilot boat was rocking sideways.

Thought this report was interesting too. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=4628

Thank goodness for Disney and their decision to stay in port.

We need to pull your TR back up to the top of the list Dave.
Sorry about not getting around to posting in a while.

Sounds like y’all had a fine evening staying in port. From the videos from the RCCL ship, I do believe that the officers made a good decision.

I also see that you DD made excellent use of the Kid’s Clubs. That’s great! By the time we went Max was just too old to really enjoy them, so I’m looking forward to hearing more about her experiences here.

Also… meeting a family from the same neck of the woods was a major win for y’all and especially for the kids.
:cool1:

Looking forward to hearing how the late start affected the rest of the trip.

You’re doing good… keep it up mate.

We need to pull your TR back up to the top of the list Dave.
Sorry about not getting around to posting in a while.

Sounds like y’all had a fine evening staying in port. From the videos from the RCCL ship, I do believe that the officers made a good decision.

I also see that you DD made excellent use of the Kid’s Clubs. That’s great! By the time we went Max was just too old to really enjoy them, so I’m looking forward to hearing more about her experiences here.

Also… meeting a family from the same neck of the woods was a major win for y’all and especially for the kids.
:cool1:

Looking forward to hearing how the late start affected the rest of the trip.

You’re doing good… keep it up mate.

Thanks buddy!! I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to touch my TR lately or yours for that much. I plan to get caught up next week with some travel time myself and a...shhhhhh secret "Dave Only" trip to HS and possibly MK or EP.

I actually have a few hour before I leave work and I just thought I would get writing on chapter 4.

Yes, the kids club is very cool...I wish I was that age again. My DD loved it and keeps asking when we are going back. If you notice my signature...we have a trip planed for 2013 at Christmas on the Dream. I can't wait, but we are keeping it a secret from her. We haven't decided when or how we are going to tell her, but figure we have plenty of time before then.

DC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter