~The Daily Grind~ 10/15/09

Holly
tell them to play nice. although if the repo guy goes than you don't have to deal with them. Good for you for listening to your body and taking that nap, I hope you're feeling a bit better now.

And for the record my mustang was red!

Okay- I need some ideas-

I just signed our church team up for relay for life. This year they are doing a state theme and everything in our area and that I know a lot about is already thinking. Anyway I need to think of a state that we can decorate our area up easily and have a good tasting and easy to fix food and then a kids game from.

I have thought about doing Vermont and doing pancakes with maple syrup- I would do the pancakes in strips and then put the syrup in the little takeout containers for salad dressings and such so they could be dippers.

I have also thought about doing a western state and having a game where the kids mine for toys in the dirt- I figure little boys would love it.

Anyway any ideas or knowledge about less known states with ideas would be appreciated.

Rebecca

so tell me more about what you need to provide for the relay? I know nothing about the relay for life other than an extreame makeover show for breast cancer and they showed them walking on a grass track. I'm all up for helping with Vermont ideas.
And if it's a breast cancer one I'm even more in 5 years ago on the 22nd we lost Tom's mom to breast cancer that returned in her liver.

Holly :hug:

The car is fabulous! Picked it up today. Even got to drive it home in the white stuff. Looks like I have to find the ice scrapper soon.

Relay for Life raises money and awearness for all kinds of cancer. Our town will have their own relay for life (as opposed to going into a larger city. We will all be down at the park and their is a track. You start at 6pm on a Friday night and go through 11am Saturday. Each team does fundraisers before the event to raise money for their team (or asks people for donations- not asking here just explaining) and then on the event night there is tons of stuff going on each teram has a tent area (to rest between walking) as well as to hold fundraisers for the night- people sell food, have games or activities for people to do, basically anything no one esle is doing.

Anyway this years theme for our area is states so each team has to choose a state and decorate for that state and such- so i was trying to think of a state 9not already choosen) that we could do some fundraiing things with. I thought of Vermont (because I had just been talking to someone about you making syrup) and thought that for the morning pancakes and maple syrup would be great- by then everyone is tired and wants something good to eat. I mentioned it to my husband and he suggested doing Vermont Cheddar Cheeseburgers in the evening.

Anyway we would have to decorate our booth to be Vermontish??? I think of syrup and snow when I think of Vermont.

And it would be good to come up with a game to go along with the theme as well. Something that children up through age 12 would enjoy playing and is easy to set up and run.

You have a team of 8-15 people and they take turns manning the booth and walking all night long.

People from the community come to pariticipate and check out the booths if they are not on a team.

It is a fun community building event that raises money for the American Cancer Society.

Rebecca

When I think Vermont, I think maple leaves and Ben & Jerry's ice cream.....

and maple syrup, but you've got that down...

I did the relay almost 2 years ago. One of my sisters and I were the only ones left overnight. We laughed soooooo hard it was a really emotional day, but fun too.

Ben & Jerry's, maple sugar candy, cheddar cheese...You know, I live about an hour from the Vermont border and I've NEVER been! Oh, that's it, I was trying to come up with an idea for DH and mine 15th anniversary, we'll go to Vermont next May!

Yep but it has to be Cabot cheese. Snow for sure, syrup, candy cane hunts at Eric's birthday in Dec is VERY popular with his friends. course you need snow and the small candy canes, we "hide" 300 small ones and then 48 large ones (very easy to find). the small ones have very little red so it makes them hard to find.

Of course Mud goes along with sugaring but it can't be the red southern mud has to be brown icky soupy mud.

Apples is another big one for us for fall.

Let me know what else I can help with I'm still thinking and have the husband thinking too.

You could do Indiana..

Race theme.. We have lots of races.. Indy car, Nascar, Formula One, Drag Races etc.
You could serve corn, corn bread, etc... Corn is a big source of income for our farmers...
Limestone quarries are big, we have coal mines...
You could have the kids play corn hole, race cars...

Orville Redenbacker (POPCORN) is from Indiana.... You could play "There is more than corn in Indiana" by Jim Neighbors...
You could highlight famous people from Indiana.... (ME! LOL)

That is a very cool idea... I'll have to ask DD what their theme is this year!

I can't do Indiana it is already taken, along with Fl, PA, CA, HO, NC, SC, GA PA, TX, and a bunch of others- I could do the less well known midwestern states or a couple of the New England states.

Rebecca

What about Kentucky?

Horses, Derby, bugaboo, sweet tea, coal (for decorating not eating-but you could use licorice piece to eat), biscuit and gravy. I could find other things if you are interested.

Massachusetts! Boston Tea Party and Lobster!

Freedom Trail, Lexington & Concord, Charles River ("(Love That) Dirty Water"), MBTA ("Charlie on the MTA" - it was called that before the "B" was added), uhm.... I'm sure there's more that I can't think of?

...Riots? :rotfl: Maybe not.

...You know, I live about an hour from the Vermont border and I've NEVER been! Oh, that's it, I was trying to come up with an idea for DH and mine 15th anniversary, we'll go to Vermont next May!

I can not believe you have never been to VT living so close to the border.:eek:

Yep but it has to be Cabot cheese.

Is there any other kind? :confused3:scared1: I don't think so!:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!