~The Daily Grind~ 10/13/09

PBF, thanks for the games. I'm pretty sure I can alter both of them to work for our group. I appreciate the help!!!

I agree on eating out costing so much. We do that way too much too. I've been doing better lately because I started making a weekly menu and trying really hard to stick to it.

PBF, thanks for the games. I'm pretty sure I can alter both of them to work for our group. I appreciate the help!!!

I agree on eating out costing so much. We do that way too much too. I've been doing better lately because I started making a weekly menu and trying really hard to stick to it.

You're welcome! The Xmas game themes are so easily switched out for pumpkins, birthday cakes, or whatever. TinkerBean, Z2H and I have almost had "Depends Moments" (!) while watching otherwise oh-so-cool teenaged guys wandering around our house moaning things like "Prancer - where are you?" :rotfl2: Sometimes, people collaborate while others guard their finds carefully, and sometimes people give up early, but there are always a few diehards who can't quit until all are found...but it is always a hoot!

I do weekly menus, too. It helps a lot with the grocery spending. We do the "envelope method" for our spending - it really helped us with the eating out bug. We try to put a fair - but grinchly - amount into our "Entertainment" envelope every two weeks on payday (that's where our eating out/take-out $$$ comes from) and when it is empty...oh, well..."turn your attention to the lovely freezer and pantry!!!" We've cut back to Chinese take-out to once every two months or so (from about once a week), no pizzas except the ones we make ourselves, and we go out to eat as a family about once every two months for a birthday or special occasion. And like PN, those are specially budgeted for. Good luck!

I have weekly menus but some games ran over and some days were bad w/ homework, I blame myself..dumb! dumb! dumb!

Add me to the eat out too often! I too have been trying to cut it down and get back to the weekly menu - that really does help.

I am in awe of the Pinball family for doing strict enveloping. This month I am trying to not put anything on credit cards - I took an amount of cash out of the bank to cover groceries, Target and incidentals. Other things have to be approved of first.

At the the power bill will go down with fall moving in around here! Our vehicle gasoline bill always kinda stinks since we live 2 miles from the county road and 20 minutes to any town. Takes alot of gas just to go get the mail! So I don't.:rotfl:Bills and catalogs can wait for me. But gotta go get it today - my tassimo coffee is in there!!! (have to have priorities!!):lmao:

I am in awe of the Pinball family for doing strict enveloping. This month I am trying to not put anything on credit cards - I took an amount of cash out of the bank to cover groceries, Target and incidentals. Other things have to be approved of first.

Oh, but it is a sad, sad day when the "Scrapbooking" envelope is empty :sad::sad::sad: !!!

(That always seems like the day that TinkerBean calls and says 'Hey, watcha doin'? - aka our code for "Let's do the Mike's, Jo's, and ACM loop!")

I used to be the queen of the debit card and DH was always pulling $200 out of the ATM - and then had nothing to show for it - until we started the envelope thing. It took some major-league getting used to, but it still warms my little heart when I hear DH say, "I need to buy X...what envelope should the money come out of?" He was, shall we say...a reluctant convert...to the cash only plan. :hug: But it does work for us - and the kids are into it too. Woo woo! Good luck with your new plan!!!!

Way to go PBF! Enveloping really makes you think. I did it for a while (DH made me...I was kicking and screaming all the way!), and when it's cash, you do a double take! Debit cards are so fast and easy, almost not like money at all...

And, I so have to get back to making menus! So far I have Monday is pasta, and Friday is chicken wings. I also need to have recipes that I can premake while cleaning up the night before, and then DH puts in the crock-pot before he goes to bed in the morning. How great is it to know that dinner is cooking all day, and ready when you are?

And have to have fish at least once a week...it's supposed to keep Alzheimer's (old timers) away. My problem is I never know how many for dinner on a given night. Some nights it's 2 and other's it's 6 or 7...sheesh... makes for lots of leftovers, I don't want o be caught w/o enough food...

I found a great mediveal circlet on ebay...and a cape, and a poison ring...

Happy Halloween for me :teeth:

TinkerBean just called to remind me of the *funniest* game we've EVER done at a party. During this game, when we were watching, we were literally crying with laughter and holding each other up! This was at one of Z2Hs birthday parties a couple of years ago...it probably isn't appropriate for your ladies' group, DIT, but maybe you or another DISer could use it for a different party... We did it outdoors, as it can get a bit messy, but a broom kept handy would work as long as you don't do it on a carpeted floor.

We call this "The LifeSaver Game":

Pair off all the party guests using whatever method you wish. Have each couple stand and face their partner and ask them to decide which is the "sticker" and which is the "stickee." Give each pair one wrapped roll of fruit (not the mint) LifeSavers. Yell "go." The first couple where the "sticker" sticks ALL of his/her Life Savers onto the face of the "stickee" wins! The entire roll of them have to be stuck on to win - sometimes...:rolleyes1 some fall off and have to be retrieved and put back on! Licking is totally allowed (and kinda necessary!).

I'm the only one who has been pitching ideas that don't have to do with underage drinking. :headache: Sometimes you just want to smack sense into people.... :teeth:

This is why you are one of my favorite college kids. :thumbsup2

Dessert Punkin Smash... it's a crustless pumpkin pie. Never tried the recipe, so I'll report back if it's good or not...
You know how we are about pumpkin anything here, you must let us know how it turns out and share the recipe if it was good.

I have weekly menus but some games ran over and some days were bad w/ homework, I blame myself..dumb! dumb! dumb!

With the crazy sport schedule your family has, it is any wonder you have time to eat home twice a week.

Our downfall is DD. For the three of us to grab breakfast, coffee and juice, it is almost $15, for one of us, it can easily run $4-6. I never realized how much I spend there until I stopped going as much:eek:

PBF, your parties sound like a hoot. :dance3:

My to do list:

Put wood in the wood stove. Yes, it is that time of year again.
Write in DD's communication book
Empty dishwasher
Put a load of laundry away, one in the dryer, and fold a load.
Call pharmacy to reorder prescription, automated reorder system down though and pharmacy not open yet.
Get DD up and ready for school
Work
Fax docs down to the credit union
Call DM husband
Caffeinate
Recover from DH calling me to tell me he was at the hospital for an x-ray.:scared1: He had a dr appt to have his elbow looked at, our dr. sent him straight to the hospital to be xray'd :eek:
Meatloaf and baked potatoes for dinner.
Dr. appt for DD after school.

i must confess that we do the envelope thing too! every week i do the same thing with our checks. this envelope for this, this for that.....blah blah blah......but it works for us. i have though lately been using my card and that needs to STOP!!!!!!!
and the menu planning thing was so my thing. but it seems over the summer i have slacked off and having a tough time getting back into it. MUST DO THIS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter