The Christians on our side

MrVisible

<font color=teal>Every so often, I have a day wher
I got reminded this morning that there are a lot of Christian people out there who are our friends and allies, staunch and dedicated fighters for the equality of gay and lesbian people in our country. I want to thank all of you for the loving acceptance that you practice, in the face of all this opposition. It would be easy to just stand aside and let us fight for ourselves, but many of you step into the fray beside us. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate that. It seems to me that you personify the ideals that all Christians strive towards.

As a result of the train wreck of a thread going on on the Community Board at the moment, I ran across this organization this morning:

http://www.faithinamerica.info/newSite/

The mission of Faith In America, Inc. is the emancipation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people from bigotry disguised as religious truth. The world’s great religious traditions practiced within the United States of America emphasize the love of neighbor as well as the love of God. Compassion, justice, freedom, and respect for the dignity of all people are their most authentic and noble expressions.
For years, I've been wondering where the Christian organizations were that opposed the political maneuverings of NARTH and Focus on the Family and their ilk.

Now I know. They're out there, getting organized, creating media campaigns, dispelling the myth that all Christians believe that we don't deserve to be treated like human beings.

It's this sort of thing that restores my faith in humanity, and specifically in religion. I know it's been a rough couple of weeks on the boards, and I thought I might share this piece of good news. I know I was really moved to find out about it.

So thank you.

MrVisible said:
I got reminded this morning that there are a lot of Christian people out there who are our friends and allies, staunch and dedicated fighters for the equality of gay and lesbian people in our country. I want to thank all of you for the loving acceptance that you practice, in the face of all this opposition. It would be easy to just stand aside and let us fight for ourselves, but many of you step into the fray beside us. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate that. It seems to me that you personify the ideals that all Christians strive towards.

As a result of the train wreck of a thread going on on the Community Board at the moment, I ran across this organization this morning:

http://www.faithinamerica.info/newSite/

For years, I've been wondering where the Christian organizations were that opposed the political maneuverings of NARTH and Focus on the Family and their ilk.

Now I know. They're out there, getting organized, creating media campaigns, dispelling the myth that all Christians believe that we don't deserve to be treated like human beings.

It's this sort of thing that restores my faith in humanity, and specifically in religion. I know it's been a rough couple of weeks on the boards, and I thought I might share this piece of good news. I know I was really moved to find out about it.

So thank you.

Hey, haven't been back to the train wreck thread since I made my exit, so I am glad you posted that site here. It really does have a unique perspective on the whole gay thing and it was very refreshing to have a site say that perhaps shoving reliogion down people's throats is not the best way to make people see the light. Excellent!

And I love Jewish people! Much more grounded and realistic than many of the Christians I know.

I have never understood my fellow Christians who only read part of the Bible. When you read it in it's entirety and get the whole message, keeping in mind that certain parts just don't fit todays world you understand its message of love, acceptance, and forgiveness. In keeping with that message and my own deep held beliefs I don't hate the posters over there that spew their retoric. I feel for them and hope they will be brought back from the edge through God's love and can only pray for them.

MrVisible, dispite all the rhetoric of the extreme religious right always remember there are those of us the "get it" and support you and your rights.

I find it very interesting that since your revalation about certain posters church that they have been conspicuously absent from the discussion.

JennyMominRI said:
Hey,Don't forget the Jews!
Actually, I did kind of forget the Jews. Mostly because I've never really considered them to be the kind of threat that right-wing Christianity poses. I first got exposed to Judaism when I was a counselor at Camp JORI (there in Rhode Island) when I was in college, and it left a very positive impression on me. And I've never experienced anything but support from Jewish people on the subject of homosexuality.

For which I am also deeply appreciative.

Just curious...
Which thread on the Community Board are you referring to?

I'm obviously a glutton for punishment... :crazy:

-Christal

JennyMominRI said:
Hey,Don't forget the Jews!

Jenny, you are one of our best friends on the DIS and one of my favorite posters. I appreciate your thoughtful, intelligent posts and calm under pressure. Glad to have you on our side!

Is there room for a jack-mormon pantheist pagan in the group hug this morning? :grouphug:
You know -- it's odd but this particular little corner of cyberspace feels very homey to me. You folks are all VERY special!

Just to add another dimension - and btw I'm a ordained minister who also happens to be a lesbian so I fit into lots of different categories - I just got back from an event I faciliated in Syracuse and the class of professional religious was made up of 10 different protestant denominations and one reformed Jewish Rabbi ALL of whom were very much in favor and acting for the equality of all folk and all of whom took the news coming out of the Anglican community (a two-tiered system of those in full communion - read not ordaining out lesbian and gay folk - and associate communion relationships for those who are) very hard. Sigh.

The United Church of Christ ( my church ) is the church with the commercials that were banned by most networks. The have a campaign " Still Speaking " that includes gay and lesbian people. They have actually joined with other churches in Massachusetts to remind the State legislature that being christian doesn't just mean catholic. ALL these christian groups have asked the archdiocese of Boston to stop speaking as if they have the only answer from god about gays, they are infringing upon our religious rights!!!!!

United Methodist Pastor. I don't see it as taking sides. But I support full inclusion of GLBT persons. DW and I often talk over going to WDW and DL on "Gay" days just becuase it seems like more fun.

Coming from a Tennessee Methodist, one of my favorite memories in life is when I was 18, drinking margaritas and listening to "what a wonderful world" by Louis Armstrong while dancing with 2 of my best friends (who happened to be gay) on panama city beach. I will never forget that. Not all of us down here in the bible belt are against gays:) Hope to see you in October. I'll be the one wearing the bride tee shirt walking with the skinny guy wearing the groom shirt! lol

I'm with you there! I don't believe in any denomination that excludes people. It's just not what Jesus would have done plain and simple.

Hear hear for the Unitarians. Count me on that role.

I know Christians, Jews, Muslims, atheists, etc. all of whom support me and my gay marriage and none of whom "get" what the fuss is about. It is these people that need to be heard.

What we see more often are the bad sides. Even the mainstream can be problematic. The Methodist's commercial "Our hearts, Our minds, and Our doors are open" is hypocritical. Those doors are open unless you're gay and want to be a minister.

I feel totally conflicted all the time. My Unitarian training makes me a proud liberal, accepting of all. But when I live in Toledo, the right wing pressure really gets to me, nearly making me forsake my own ideals to fight against the bigotry.

Then, only yesterday, I saw what was actually a hilarious story about a "church" where folks laugh hysterically from "the spirit". As I was about to turn it off, the pastor said "traditional churches teach us who to hate. Jesus never taught hate. We should love and accept everyone without judgment." So even the "out there" places can sometimes give me hope.

That doesn't change the hate crime my husband and I suffered at the hands of three teens from the wal-mart church down the street, where the pastor preaches fire and brimstone.

I look to europe. If Catholic Spain can approve gay marriage...can the U.S. be forever backward? I doubt it.

Psychometrika said:
Hear hear for the Unitarians. Count me on that role.

I know Christians, Jews, Muslims, atheists, etc. all of whom support me and my gay marriage and none of whom "get" what the fuss is about. It is these people that need to be heard.

What we see more often are the bad sides. Even the mainstream can be problematic. The Methodist's commercial "Our hearts, Our minds, and Our doors are open" is hypocritical. Those doors are open unless you're gay and want to be a minister.

I feel totally conflicted all the time. My Unitarian training makes me a proud liberal, accepting of all. But when I live in Toledo, the right wing pressure really gets to me, nearly making me forsake my own ideals to fight against the bigotry.

Then, only yesterday, I saw what was actually a hilarious story about a "church" where folks laugh hysterically from "the spirit". As I was about to turn it off, the pastor said "traditional churches teach us who to hate. Jesus never taught hate. We should love and accept everyone without judgment." So even the "out there" places can sometimes give me hope.

That doesn't change the hate crime my husband and I suffered at the hands of three teens from the wal-mart church down the street, where the pastor preaches fire and brimstone.

I look to europe. If Catholic Spain can approve gay marriage...can the U.S. be forever backward? I doubt it.
HOT D*** I wanna marry you. Yea, before coming out I dated a daughter of a UMC church. He kept swearing I would be a UMC minister, but I knew otherwise (as many friends were in UMC seminary and fighting that battle). Then I came out (as bi, but still a problem for the UMC elders), converted to Unitarian Universalism and now will have no problems with sexuality and ordination. Open doors my ***. Unfortunately, I still have some good friends (gay, bi and straight) who are UMC ministers and have to struggle with it daily.

Oh...and about the tolerant/bigotry issue - a professor once explained it to me in a way that intrigued me even though I don't necessarily agree. To him, he was okay with being tolerant and accepting towards anyone who was tolerant and accepting. But those who are intolerant, to him, did not deserve it just as those who are merciless(sp?) deserve, to him, no mercy in their suffering. Interesting point of view...

Well BSMCNEIL my current husband might object. :) But then again we could move to Utah and set up some "Big Love". I'm not sure what Massachussetts polygamy laws are presently. :rotfl2: Glad to know another UU person is out there! Say hello sometime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter