The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

The only two that really come to mind are Anthony Rapp and Norbert Leo Butz, both were great.

I would love to see Patrick Stewart and Bernadette Peters!

My favorite show thus far was Miss Saigon. I know it's not as popular but I just really enjoyed it.

:thumbsup2 I saw Miss Saigon three times and have the CD in my car. I love the music, cry every time.
I also loved Les Mis and Wicked and will seeing Lion King next week with the family.

This is a great thread!

:thumbsup2 I saw Miss Saigon three times and have the CD in my car. I love the music, cry every time.
I also loved Les Mis and Wicked and will seeing Lion King next week with the family.

This is a great thread!

Hey! I'm seeing LK with my family next wk too!!!:)

:goodvibes That's when I should have gone...lol

I was all set to wear Mickey Ears.:rotfl2:

Have you seen it before? I am looking forward to it.

Yes I have actually but it was several yrs ago,
looking forward to seeing it again, couldn't resist
the buy one get one free tickets!!:thumbsup2

Ok, I've expanded the discussion to include actors that we got to see on the Great White Way, or actors that we would love to see but just haven't had the chance.

I would love to see Nathan Lane on B'way. I think he is a great actor, not to mention funny.

I've seen Betty Buckley in Sunset Blvd, that was cool. Oh, this was a total fluke, but I got to see Brent Spiner as John Adams, and Pat Hingle as Benjamin Franklin. I was totally psyched when I got to see those two on stage together. I would also love to see Matthew Broderick, but haven't had the chance.

I saw Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick together in The Producers, and they were hilarious. I also saw them together in The Odd Couple, although Matthew seemed kind of off in that show. It was like he was just repeating the Producers character, and it didn't always work.

My favorite performer that I've seen on stage is Hugh Jackman. I saw him in The Boy From Oz 5 times, and he was incredible. His performance was amazing, but he also did a ton of crazy ad-libbing, and it was so much fun.

The performer I want to see on Broadway currently is Daniel Radcliffe in Equus. I've heard he's terrific in that role.

I'm seeing In The Heights next week! :cool1:

I have seen:
Cats
Chicago
RENT
The Drowsy Chaperone
Avenue Q

And in May, I will be seeing Wicked in the West End.

My favorite out of the ones I've seen would have to be Avenue Q, not just because it's funny, but because it really makes you think about life. It's so existential.

my favorites are Lion King and Mamma Mia.

The only show I have seen on Broadway is West Side Waltz with Katherine Hepburn. She was amazing, of course. i am so grateful I got to see her in a play.

Touring shows with stars: Keith Carradine in Follies, Jerry Lewis in Damn Yankees, Lorna luft in something????, Cathy Rigby in peter Pan, and Robert Goulet in Camelot.

would love to see Sutton Foster.

ETA: saw Phantom in Toronto in early '90s

some other touring shows: Chicago, Secret Garden, Evita, Hairspray..

my favorites are Lion King and Mamma Mia.

The only show I have seen on Broadway is West Side Waltz with Katherine Hepburn. She was amazing, of course. i am so grateful I got to see her in a play.

Touring shows with stars: Keith Carradine in Follies, Jerry Lewis in Damn Yankees, Lorna luft in something????, Cathy Rigby in peter Pan, and Robert Goulet in Camelot. I have seen other shows, but can't remember them all.

would love to see Sutton Foster.

Mama Mia is Fantastic...seeing it again this april!!:goodvibes

Since my two favorites are Evita & Gypsy, I think it has everything to do with the fact that Patti Lupone was in both of them - she is amazing.

I've seen:

(Years ago)
Grease (original run in the 70's)
Evita
Annie
Same Time Next Year

(More recently)
Rent
Hairspray
Phantom
Mamma Mia
Avenue Q
Beauty and the Beast (was anyone else creeped out by Chip on the table?)
Spamalot
Chicago
Gypsy

Dreamgirls (touring)

I took my daughters to New York for my birthday last weekend. We saw Avenue Q, The Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins. They were all sensational!! The Disney Broadway shows are amazing - we have seen Beauty and the Beast in the past, and The Lion King is on the list for our next trip.

Avenue Q was hysterical! My older daughter had seen it but DD15 was too young on our last trip, so it was really a thrill for her to be able to see it on Broadway. I love Broadway shows!!! I might go up by myself for a weekend this summer and see a few of the classics if they are still open, like Gypsy and South Pacific.

On our next family trip we also want to see Phantom - almost saw it this trip but there wasn't an evening performance on the day we had free, so it will go on the list for next time!!

One of my favorites was The Drowsy Chaperone - I just loved that show!

I took my daughters to New York for my birthday last weekend. We saw Avenue Q, The Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins. They were all sensational!! The Disney Broadway shows are amazing - we have seen Beauty and the Beast in the past, and The Lion King is on the list for our next trip.

Avenue Q was hysterical! My older daughter had seen it but DD15 was too young on our last trip, so it was really a thrill for her to be able to see it on Broadway. I love Broadway shows!!! I might go up by myself for a weekend this summer and see a few of the classics if they are still open, like Gypsy and South Pacific.

On our next family trip we also want to see Phantom - almost saw it this trip but there wasn't an evening performance on the day we had free, so it will go on the list for next time!!

Can I asked you which hotel you stayed at, and if you were
satisfied. Looking for a reasonable priced place to stay for
our anniversary trip this spring.:flower3:
One of my favorites was The Drowsy Chaperone - I just loved that show!

Can I ask which hotel you stayed at and if you were
satisfied. Looking for a reasonable place to stay for
our anniversary trip this spring.:flower3:

Sweeney Todd-This is Sondheim's magnum opus! Nothing compares to the dark complexities show this brings to the table. I am talking however about the original incarnation of the show and not the joke of a revival a few years ago.

I couldn't agree more with this post. Fellow Sondheim lover here.

I have seen, in no particular order:

Fiddler on the Roof - original production - the first show I ever saw when I was a little girl
Cats (hated it)
Sweeney Todd (original cast w/Len Cariou, Angela Lansbury, Victor Garber -:thumbsup2 saw it three times!!)
Phantom of the Opera (didn't like it)
Once Upon a Mattress w/Sarah Jessica Parker (it was only OK)
Thoroughly Modern Millie (it was OK)
Oklahoma! :-)thumbsup2 revival about 5 years ago)
Gypsy w/Bernadette Peters :-)thumbsup2 loved it)
Gypsy w/Patti Lupone (hated Lupone and the girl who played older June, but the rest of the cast was OK)
Into the Woods (revival w/Vanessa Williams)
Beauty and the Beast (good)
Mary Poppins (good)
Cabaret (most recent revival - production was very good but we saw Brooke Shields who was just awful)
Good Vibrations (awful - ran for maybe a month)
Wicked (good, but I prefer the original cast album to the cast we saw)
Sunday in the Park with George :-)thumbsup2 last year's revival - one of the best things I've ever seen)
South Pacific :-)thumbsup2 at Lincoln Center - wonderful production & excellent male lead Paulo Szot)

I don't know if this counts but I just recently saw a concert reading of A Little Night Music with a great cast including Natasha Richardson, Victor Garber, Vanessa Redgrave and Christine Baranski - I wish that there could be a full revival of this show, it's wonderful.

Hoping to see the revival of West Side Story next.

I can't believe I never saw Cats. I don't know how that happened.

I can't believe I never saw Cats. I don't know how that happened.

You didn't miss much. I truly believe that you have to be a cat lover to appreciate this one. I guess the beauty in it is watching the actors communicate the essence of a cat in their movements and mannerisms. Being considerably less than a cat lover, yuck, all this beauty was wasted on me.;)

Oddly enough, the Broadway show I've enjoyed the most was a Follies run in 2006 of "Of Thee I Sing" with Victor Garber, Laura Thompson and Brooks Ashkamsis (spelling?). Although they were on book, that show counts as the best I've seen, I think in part because I didn't have super high expectations and it surprised me with how great it was.

Lion King is awesome, but it's a totally different experience IMO from a 'normal' Broadway show. KWIM?

Sweeney Todd (original cast w/Len Cariou, Angela Lansbury, Victor Garber - saw it three times!!)

I think the worst I saw was back in the 1970s -- Beatlemania. We were debating between Sweeny Tood and Beatlemania and we choose Beatlemania! What were we thinking?
BTW, Minniefan -- I don't know if you saw the postings about a Q&A Stephen Sondheim did last weekend, but he was asked out of all the auditions he's seen, which have been the most memorable and one of them was Victor Garber's for Sweeney Todd. Sondheim said Garber made them all weep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter