The BIG one - Hmm. Things I didn't think...

Saturday post is actually on the chopping block, but they won't manage to chop it within the next 48 hours! :rotfl2: The problem is that I don't know that the letters will move through the system quickly enough to be delivered on Saturday. It may very well be Monday. :headache:

The regular high schools have different levels of academics for the kids to choose from, but they don't tend to be heavily populated by kids who COULD go somewhere else, like a private school or a magnet. That means for things like standardized test scores the regular high schools have a HORRIBLE record, because the academic powerhouse kids they DO have can't offset the staggering numbers of slackers. It made me laugh when we went to the Open House at the regular high school. They had a panel of kids that were chosen to answer questions. They very purposely chose a girl who came back there from a magnet, and another girl who left the all girl Catholic private school. The ex-magnet girl said something about how her college level courses at the magnet were so crowded, and now they are virtually empty. :rotfl2: Yes, going from an academic magnet to a plain high school would have that effect. If you have an academically BRILLIANT child then you can have individualized, high level instruction at a regular school because the classes will only have a handful of kids in them! But if your child is just academically competent or maybe he struggles in a subject or two, the dynamics are completely different.

You people with the video requests. :sad2:

I can't believe how difficult they have made it to find out any info on those new high school programs. The one high school has an excellent reputation for their drama department. They will now house a "performing arts" career path program, but I have NO CLUE what that actually MEANS. I know if you get in you have to commit to stay there for an entire year. I also know the district will NOT provide transportation.
If DS gets accepted to the Arts magnet he can ride a bus from our "home" high school to the magnet and back each day, for free. But also the magnet isn't that much of a drive for us, so we can take him and pick him up if necessary.

I can't even imagine what a district that size must be like. We had actually bandied about the idea of a Parents' Union similar to what they did in Los Angeles but gave up when we went to the charter school.

It is very interesting to touch base with folks from all over the country and hear similar problems in the schools. You'd think maybe someone (other than us parents) would "get it" but no. It's all political which is very sad.

As for the naysayers, there's always a "Debbie Downer" Hey I just bought a new treadmill. "Oh what kind was it because my cousin's wife's sister's neighbor's boss got hurt on that very same one".

You people with the video requests. :sad2:

Can we at least get a shot of the tent you are gonna set up next to the mailbox?

:rotfl2:

Seriously Elizabeth, I was in the same situation as your son. It was either Catholic school way across town, or a school that was....lets just say WAY under par! I waited and waited for that letter, I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere......Sending good vibes to you every day! :hug:

I can't even imagine what a district that size must be like. We had actually bandied about the idea of a Parents' Union similar to what they did in Los Angeles but gave up when we went to the charter school.

It is very interesting to touch base with folks from all over the country and hear similar problems in the schools. You'd think maybe someone (other than us parents) would "get it" but no. It's all political which is very sad.

As for the naysayers, there's always a "Debbie Downer" Hey I just bought a new treadmill. "Oh what kind was it because my cousin's wife's sister's neighbor's boss got hurt on that very same one".

I don't know how many students the district serves, but there are 35 middle schools. Of course the size of the schools varies. Ours has about 1100 kids. There are 5 or 6 elementaries that feed into our middle school, and one of them is REALLY far away. The zoning is screwy, so our school is way over capacity while another school not too far from here is only at about 70%. The school board claims that it is because the high school the other school feeds into is really over crowded. Excuse me? Send the kids to THAT middle school and then address the high school numbers when they get to HIGH SCHOOL!! :headache: Idiots.

Can we at least get a shot of the tent you are gonna set up next to the mailbox?

:rotfl2:

Seriously Elizabeth, I was in the same situation as your son. It was either Catholic school way across town, or a school that was....lets just say WAY under par! I waited and waited for that letter, I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere......Sending good vibes to you every day! :hug:

I never said anything about a tent. I said a lawn chair. It is supposed to be nice weather tomorrow. Thanks for the good thoughts. I hope they work. I hope we actually hear something tomorrow. Waiting even longer will suck.

I heard back from my friend about the Six Flags excursion. So far she and another mom are planning to take eight kids, and they are going to stay at the park with them. The only issue I see is that they aren't planning to go until around noon. The park opens at 10 AM. You see the problem. It will be so crowded they won't be able to do anything. But I am staying out of it.

Could we at least see a picture of you sitting beside the mailbox?

I really hope the letter comes tomorrow and that it holds good news.

Hmm. Maybe. It is looking more and more likely that DS will be at Six Flags with his friends, but maybe DH will take a picture of me. I will make him carry my lawn chair and I will carry the camera.

I heard back from my friend about the Six Flags excursion. So far she and another mom are planning to take eight kids, and they are going to stay at the park with them. The only issue I see is that they aren't planning to go until around noon. The park opens at 10 AM. You see the problem. It will be so crowded they won't be able to do anything. But I am staying out of it.

That. Is your Disney instinct coming into play. If you're like the rest of us, rope-drop is almost mandatory(and is completely mandatory on weekend, or especially busy times of the year) :lmao:

That. Is your Disney instinct coming into play. If you're like the rest of us, rope-drop is almost mandatory(and is completely mandatory on weekend, or especially busy times of the year) :lmao:

I am up by 5 AM every day at WDW. DH is usually awake too, because that's his normal schedule at home. DS has to get up by 6 AM so we won't be late for breakfast or rope drop, whichever comes first that day. You know, whatever it says on the spreadsheet. :rolleyes1

Like I said, I am staying out of it. If he thinks Six Flags in wall to wall crowds is better than stalking the mailman, so be it.

I am up by 5 AM every day at WDW. DH is usually awake too, because that's his normal schedule at home. DS has to get up by 6 AM so we won't be late for breakfast or rope drop, whichever comes first that day. You know, whatever it says on the spreadsheet. :rolleyes1

So, do you have a spreadsheet for tomorrow?

Dear Lord, what time does your mailman come tomorrow?

I think we are all waiting for this one......:wizard:

Mike, the mailman doesn't arrive until fairly late in the day. I have never stalked him before, so I don't know exactly what time. Definitely by 5 PM. So in 10 hours we could have a letter.

DH just came back from the mailbox. No letter. :sad2:

We did get $250 worth of Am Ex gift cards that he won as part of a sales contest at work, but no letter.

Sorry!

I told my DW this story and she suggested that you make a campfire next to the mailbox. According to her you can spend an entire day in front of a campfire without anyone wondering what you're doing...I tried telling her you were in a different part of the world, but, she said that campfires always work.

Sorry!

I told my DW this story and she suggested that you make a campfire next to the mailbox. According to her you can spend an entire day in front of a campfire without anyone wondering what you're doing...I tried telling her you were in a different part of the world, but, she said that campfires always work.

FIRST of all, I am the least "outdoorsy" girl on the face of the planet. If I was sitting by a campfire in the WOODS it would be suspicious. :lmao: Sitting by a campfire next to a row of residential mailboxes would have me arrested in about 15 seconds. And while I hear the jail just got its best inspection report in 7 years, they are still below acceptable standards, so I would just as soon not have to go there. :rolleyes1 Not to mention I don't know how to build a campfire in the first place.

I have to work today, so DH is on mailbox duty. The bad part is that he doesn't get home from work until 2 PM or so. He claims the mail never arrives before 3:30 or 4 PM during the week anyway. The other bad part is that he fancies himself as quite the practical joker. He will lie to me about what the letter says, because he thinks that sort of thing is hilarious. :mad: I do think he will be honest if I have DS with me, but if he picks DS up from me before he gets the mail then there is no telling what kind of line he will come up with. I threatened to bring the little girls I nanny to spend the afternoon at our house, which would effectively wipe out DH's hopes of a nap, so he better be nice. He offered to bring the letter, unopened, to me at work, but I don't want to wait an extra 20 minutes for him to drive it over there. I just want to know what it says.

I am MUCH more nervous today than I was Saturday. :sad2:

FIRST of all, I am the least "outdoorsy" girl on the face of the planet. If I was sitting by a campfire in the WOODS it would be suspicious. :lmao: Sitting by a campfire next to a row of residential mailboxes would have me arrested in about 15 seconds. And while I hear the jail just got its best inspection report in 7 years, they are still below acceptable standards, so I would just as soon not have to go there. :rolleyes1 Not to mention I don't know how to build a campfire in the first place.

:lmao: I didn't realize it would get you arrested, but, I did mention that I thought it wouldn't work. (Around here -- well, my normal here, since I'm at HHI at the moment -- it would definitely be weird to set up a campfire next to the row of residential mailboxes, but, I suspect that if you had a bucket of water, a ring of stones and no alcohol they'd just come have a chat and perhaps even join you for awhile.)

I am MUCH more nervous today than I was Saturday. :sad2:

Oh dear! I hope it all goes well in the end.

:lmao: I didn't realize it would get you arrested, but, I did mention that I thought it wouldn't work. (Around here -- well, my normal here, since I'm at HHI at the moment -- it would definitely be weird to set up a campfire next to the row of residential mailboxes, but, I suspect that if you had a bucket of water, a ring of stones and no alcohol they'd just come have a chat and perhaps even join you for awhile.)

Oh dear! I hope it all goes well in the end.

I am QUITE certain the city has some ordinance about fires. I won't test them. When DS was 4 or 5 he went to a birthday party where they lit a Dura-Flame log on fire on their back patio. I am sure that was illegal, but nobody reported them for it so it was fine.

If I had a ring of stones I would be more inclined to attempt some sort of witchcraft than a campfire. ;)

Thanks for thinking of me today!

4 more hours. In 4 hours we should know something.

We are all waiting with you!
I know it will all be good!:goodvibes

No fires, huh?? We just can't burn on Sunday because.....it is wash day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter