The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - MAY 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok confession time. My mom and I booked a 5 night stay CL at the BWI last week...we were there 3 nights then switched to the GF RPC! I REALLY wanted to like something else (something cheaper basically) but I just didn't and I cant help it!! it was my 6th time staying RPC> we had a great turret king room for 2 wonderful nights!! now trying to figure out when I can go back...

Ha Ha...
You sound like me , I'm always trying to "like" a cheaper resort , but I always end up hating it and wanting to go "home" to the GF :cloud9:

Hello fellow GF fans.

I have a query. When would be the best time to book RPC rooms for a Christmas stay in 2011? I apologize if this is an oft-asked question. My search skills are obviously sorely lacking.

We have had the pleasure of staying at the GF during May or July in years past. But, my DM and I decided that the luscious thought of a Disney Christmas was too good to pass up.

followthatmouse - I usually book as soon as I decide that I'm going. Then, if a good discount comes out, I try to apply that to my reservation. I rarely make my plans that far in advance, though, so you'll have to wait until they release the 2011 rates (sometime in the summer, I think), or expect to book at peak prices.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip planning! Christmas time at the GF is lovely!:lovestruc

johnsonet - Thank you! My memory is fuzzy on how we took that photo, but I think you are right. From the angle and what is in direct line of sight, it must be from the area near the ping pong tables.

Here is my photo for today - well, two related photos, both of the marina.
In front of Gasparilla's, looking toward the MK:

Standing behind Conch Key, looking toward Sago Cay:

BCV23 - Thanks, we are looking forward to it! Too bad you won't be eating at V&A's next trip, I don't think we will be either. It's a tough choice, as we try to go when it's just the two of us - if we take a friend, they often aren't interested in such a long dinner, or the unfamiliar food choices.

We love V&A but it's always been a special treat for us. When our children were young, we rarely did it as we only went once a year and wanted to dine as a family. Now that they're grown, we've celebrated a number of anniversaries there as a couple and once en famille. We had a great anniversary dinner at Citricos this year instead. Not sure when we'll be back at V&A but I do love it. :love:

I don't think I saw it on here, however I may have missed it so I apologize if this is old news. I saw on the transportation board that Southwest airlines is now participating in RAC (resort airline check in) at the GF, as of yesterday! :banana: This is great news, especially since we'll be at the GF next month and are flying SW. I'm very happy that we'll be able to check our bags at the resort and not have to lug them to MCO.

Isn't that great news? :cool1: We fly on SW on occasion and may do so more often now.

pezaddict231, I'm sorry to read of your experiences with RAC. We've probably used it at least a dozen times including several times at the GF with no problems at all. We love it. I wonder if the problem is with Jet Blue since you had the same experience with them at another resort?

Oh, and it will not work to drop your bags with them the day before you leave. It has to be more than 3 hours but less than 12 hours IIRC.

Heather Lynn, what's new at the GF?

k&a&c'smom, I love your "photo of the day." Thanks for sharing them with all of us.:surfweb:

k&a&c'smom - Thank you for the pictures! I can't wait til April! We may not be staying at the Grand but at least I'll be able to gaze at it across the lagoon from my Poly beach chair!!!! :goodvibes

Hello to all of my fellow Diser's:

I just booked a trip for my 29th Birthday and my mom and I are stayings at the GF!!!

This is a dream come true for both of us, as we have never stayed at the GF before.

We will be going in September of 2010 and will be staying in a Garden View room.

Are there any tips about the room/transportation to and from the parks that anyone can give me?

Also, how are the resturants? Which ones are your favorites???

Thanks in advance!!!

XOXOXO

Lindsaygirl27 - How wonderful that you have a trip to the Grand booked with your mother. My DD and I have stayed at the GF several times, and always visit when we stay in other resorts. It really is a lovely resort.

What specifically would you like to know about the rooms and transportation? There is the monorail and boat launch to the MK, monorail to the TTC and Epcot, and buses to AKL and DHS.

All of the restaurants are very good, we especially like the GF Cafe for breakfast and lunch, Narcoossee's and Citricos for dinner. Of course, Victoria & Albert's is incredible for a fabulous dining experience.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask, there are so many friendly posters here to help you with your planning.:grouphug:

Figment1990 - Thanks! I'm sure you'll have a great time, and you get a new perspective on the GF.:)

BCV23 - V&A's is wonderful! And thank you regarding the photos.

k&a&c'smom - Thank you very much for the information. I can tell you that we are rather excited to be at WDW and the Floridian during the festive season!

Lindsaygirl27 - I hope you have a wonderful stay. We have been fortunate enough to stay at the GF on several occasions. The ambiance, the grounds, the proximity to the Magic Kingdom and the restaurants are all wonderful. Our favorite restaurants are Narcoossee's for a seafood dinner and the GF Cafe for breakfast. Of course, for a special occasion, V&A's. This is a spectacular culinary experience, though not inexpensive.

k&a&c'smom - Thank you for the pictures! I can't wait til April! We may not be staying at the Grand but at least I'll be able to gaze at it across the lagoon from my Poly beach chair!!!! :goodvibes

Love that view!

053.jpg

Hello to all of my fellow Diser's:

I just booked a trip for my 29th Birthday and my mom and I are stayings at the GF!!!

This is a dream come true for both of us, as we have never stayed at the GF before.

We will be going in September of 2010 and will be staying in a Garden View room.

Are there any tips about the room/transportation to and from the parks that anyone can give me?

Also, how are the resturants? Which ones are your favorites???

Thanks in advance!!!

XOXOXO

SO exciting, Lindsaygirl27 :cool1: What a great place for a mother/daughter trip. You will love it! GV rooms are awesome - beautiful and spacious. Most every room is an easy stroll to the main building, where you can catch the monorail (on the 2d floor) to MK and Epcot, or buses to DHS, AK, the water parks and Downtown Disney.
The restaurants are GREAT. Citrico's is my favorite :cloud9: Delicious food and great service. All the restaurants are very nice.
You'll love the pools and beach - and you and your mom can walk over to the GF spa for a treatment or workout.
I HIGHLY recommend afternoon tea in the Garden View Lounge. I've done this with my daughter, my mom and with girlfriends. EVERYONE loves it :lovestruc The Garden View Lounge is on the first floor of the Main Building and serves a delightful tea every afternoon.
You're going to have such a great time! princess:princess:

Love that view!

Thanks johnsonet! I think I'm going to make that my new wallpaper on my computer here at work! :)

I HIGHLY recommend afternoon tea in the Garden View Lounge. I've done this with my daughter, my mom and with girlfriends. EVERYONE loves it :lovestruc The Garden View Lounge is on the first floor of the Main Building and serves a delightful tea every afternoon.
You're going to have such a great time! princess:princess:

I second this recommendation! Even DH loves it. We went on our last trip to the GF and ended up canceling one of our planned dinners later in the week because we wanted to go back and enjoy afternoon tea one more time.

Last night, I was doing research for our 2011 trip, and mentioned the Ft. Wilderness cabins to my SO. He did say they looked nice, but said he doesn't really want to stay anywhere except GF. I think I've made a monster. LOL!

Last night, I was doing research for our 2011 trip, and mentioned the Ft. Wilderness cabins to my SO. He did say they looked nice, but said he doesn't really want to stay anywhere except GF. I think I've made a monster. LOL!

haha my husband has gotten the same way. Part of him wants to try other places but part of him wants to always stay at the GF!

haha my husband has gotten the same way. Part of him wants to try other places but part of him wants to always stay at the GF!

Mine too! He will try other places, but he really doesn't want to go back to the moderates! I've completely converted him. First he was "But we just went on a vacation last year!" Then "But we just went to Disney last year." Then "well, maybe if we stay at a moderate to keep the prices down." And now it's "Maybe we can stay at the GF this spring and Boardwalk in the fall?" :rotfl:

(In his defense, our trips are shorter now, but they are more frequent. Except this next one, we're there for 10 days!!!!! Whoo hooo!!!!! :woohoo:)

Lindsaygirl27 - Welcome to the GF FAQ board! Sounds like a great trip you have planned! Biggest tip I've gotten about transportation and the GF is to take the monorail TO the Magic Kingdom and the boat back. You'll be the first stop both ways and both are fun! To get to Epcot, you have to take the monorail to the TTC and then switch to the Epcot monorail. I did not know that prior to being on this board planning my GF stay and was surprised to learn it. It's really not a big deal though - still a very quick trip.

followthatmouse - I would follow the advice suggested here about booking your holiday trip as soon as you can if you can manage the deposit. You can always try to rebook with discounts if they become available. the Grand and especially RPC during the holidays is pretty popular!

Lindsaygirl27 - Welcome to the GF FAQ board! Sounds like a great trip you have planned! Biggest tip I've gotten about transportation and the GF is to take the monorail TO the Magic Kingdom and the boat back. You'll be the first stop both ways and both are fun! To get to Epcot, you have to take the monorail to the TTC and then switch to the Epcot monorail. I did not know that prior to being on this board planning my GF stay and was surprised to learn it. It's really not a big deal though - still a very quick trip.

That's good to know about getting to Epcot. About how long do you think it took to get from the GF to Epcot? Someone told me to plan at least 90 minutes! I figured I could walk there faster than that!

That's good to know about getting to Epcot. About how long do you think it took to get from the GF to Epcot? Someone told me to plan at least 90 minutes! I figured I could walk there faster than that!

EPCOT is probably 15-20 minutes from GF if the monorails are all running at a decent clip.

I would say it was definitely NOT 90 minutes. It also somewhat depends on how fast you walk once you arrive at the TTC. Often times we were walking up the ramp to the Epcot monorail and the monorail was approaching so we
would hustle to jump on that monorail. Those times it was very quick. It really depends on your timing. If you walk out the doors at the GF and onto a monorail, it makes for a very quick trip. I've found riding the monorail is not always faster than buses and boats, but I find them more enjoyable because of the cool perspective on looking at the WDW parks, resorts and grounds!

Thanks! Ok, just for my planning purposes, if you had reservations in Epcot at the Biergarten- how much travel time would you give yourself from the GF? An hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter