The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

IMG_4982-L.jpg

Wow, those are just gorgeous photos!

Zach was being a party pooper and sat in the car while I took a very short 30-minute roundtrip saunter to the end of the boardwalk trail and back where far fewer tourists venture

Oh, come on, Zach! When are you ever going to be here again?

The food was as bad as the location unlikely.

Ugh. Time for the PB&J special.

The storm clouds just really make these photos sing.

Hey, that's really cool!

Lovely photos of the mountains and the lake. This really was a once in a lifetime trip. I'm glad to see you making the most of it.

I loved the tipi too. Not many can say they actually slept in areal one.

Looking forward to the next leg of your journey.

N is for: No, It’s Too Hot

Day 4- Olancha, CA to Barstow, CA; Pt 1

Up before the sun, because truck drivers are too, (remember, our cute little tipi camp was less than a couple hundred yards off of I-395), we showered and thought briefly about hanging around for the restaurant’s breakfast. But in the end, we wanted to be on the road as soon as possible to beat the heat of Death Valley.

Lest we die.

The drive time from Olancha to DV was slated to be a mere 50 minutes. Oddly, that 50 minutes also equals the amount of degrees Fahrenheit it can heat up in as many minutes, so we boogeyed. The playlist was boogeyable; I’m so glad we could agree on what constituted that.

Prior to this trip I spent countless hours researching what there was to see and do along the way. Death Valley offers dozens of hikes, side trips, sights, etc… Given our limited time I had to pick and choose wisely. It wouldn’t matter.

The drive itself was filled with surreal scenes that looked like Star Wars movie sets. Truly, some of the places looked like the Black Spires of Batuu. What struck me most were the incredible colors! Yes, there were loads of earth tones and naturals, but some areas had the most amazing palettes.

Traveling over the Panamint Range was quite the adventure in and of itself. The elevation changes made for some spectacular scenery with deep gorges and bizarre formations.

Once we got into the Valley proper, the first stop we made was at the Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes to take a peek. Sand Dunes suck to hike on, so we just got out, took a few snaps and moved on. It wasn’t getting any cooler. It was 10:00 by now and approaching 100 degrees. If you’re wondering, yes, we had made an emergency kit with flares, first aid kits, tons of extra water, jumper cables, etc… And TP.

Every emergency kit needs TP.

Back on the road and stopping occasionally for photos or an outlook, we made our way to the Mustard Canyon Drive. For some dumb reason I thought that was a short hike. Sometimes my misunderstandings have happy outcomes. In this case, it was a one-way driving loop- by now it was simply too hot to be out of the car. I think from the photos you’ll see just why it is called Mustard Canyon. The canyon is completely devoid of plant life like much of Death Valley and a super cool yellows.

Onward and downward…

Our next stop was Artists Palette. It is absolutely gorgeous! But with temps like this, there was literally no way to get out and immerse ourselves. We had to take in what we could from the car because in 122 degrees I was quickly getting a bit light-headed even with extra hydration and cooling off in the car before trying. So, from the wienies’ vantage, enjoy:

The day was marching on so after one last stop at Zabriskie Point, we called it a day. This overlook offered a beautiful panoramic view from the short 10-minute hike up to the edge. Trust me, we took the warning signs VERY seriously. I forgot to take one (I was in a heat-induced rush to get back to the car!) of the sign we saw on the pit toilet door- it reminded travelers that rescue helicopters cannot fly in such hot weather. I think people don’t realize this. It said that “your rescue may be delayed”.

I wasn’t going to take my chances beyond this one short little hike. It was worth the pano photo.

On our way out of the National Park, I saw something rare and amazing- a stream in the desert!! There was no way I wasn't going to stop for this. Believe it or not, there are even a few fish that can live in these!

And with that we did a bit more boogeying and made our way to Barstow for the night… where we’ll pick up our exploits on Route 66!

Last edited:

Wow I felt hot just reading that last update! Amazing photos but oh my goodness totally get why it’s called Death Valley at those temperatures. I have to ask what is TP? Sounds like you were well prepared for all eventualities which is great but I’ve no idea what TP stands for ( probably will as soon as you tell me :rotfl: ).
Your panoramic photo should be framed it’s so stunning and I can’t believe you came across a stream in that desert. I am loving traveling with you as you make this journey and so excited to hear that you’ve rebooked your cruise too. Many amazing adventures await you:goodvibes

edited to add-
TP = toilet paper right? Told you my brain was mush this morning :rotfl:

Last edited:
Up before the sun, because truck drivers are too, (remember, our cute little tipi camp was less than a couple hundred yards off of I-395)
Ugh.
So... if it had been quiet, would you have slept later? Or did you need to be up that early anyway, based on the forecast temperatures?
we wanted to be on the road as soon as possible to beat the heat of Death Valley.

Lest we die.
:scared:
So... just a tiny bit... arid?
The drive time from Olancha to DV was slated to be a mere 50 minutes. Oddly, that 50 minutes also equals the amount of degrees Fahrenheit it can heat up in as many minutes,
And if you drove at 60MPH, you could have done a degree a minute a mile!
The playlist was boogeyable; I’m so glad we could agree on what constituted that.
Was it...
Here Comes the Sun - Beatles
Heat Wave - Martha and the Vandellas
Some Like it Hot - Power Station
Hot Blooded - Foreigner
The Heat is On - Glenn Frey
Girl on Fire - Alicia Keys
some areas had the most amazing palettes.
Some really incredible photos in this update. Could easily comment on all, but all pick out some faves...
Like this one. Just screams desert to me.
I love this one. It's an absolute classic.
It was 10:00 by now and approaching 100 degrees.
:faint:
If you’re wondering, yes, we had made an emergency kit with flares, first aid kits, tons of extra water, jumper cables, etc
Huh. I doubt I would have thought of that. But... yeah, really smart idea.
And TP.

Every emergency kit needs TP.
:laughing: But of course! That's why it was in such short supply at the start of the pandemic!
(Remember that?)
I saw this shot and said "wow"... but then...
Holy postcard, Batman!

:worship:
Look at all those rose hues! Gorgeous.
I think from the photos you’ll see just why it is called Mustard Canyon.
::yes::
But pinks, too!
We had to take in what we could from the car because in 122 degrees I was quickly getting a bit light-headed even with extra hydration and cooling off in the car before trying.
I've never come close to experiencing anything like that.
I can't even imagine.
Almost looks like melted Neapolitan ice cream...
That reminds me somewhat of the Badlands in South Dakota.
rescue helicopters cannot fly in such hot weather.
Huh! This I did not know.
I wonder if it's a function of lack of lift or engines overheating... or pilots.
Sorry, it's too small to read. :(
Whoa. No walking after 10am!!
It was worth the pano photo.
::yes::
Stunning.
On our way out of the National Park, I saw something rare and amazing- a stream in the desert!! There was no way I wasn't going to stop for this. Believe it or not, there are even a few fish that can live in these!
Really! No way I ever would've expected that.
Do you know if the stream runs all the time? Or does it dry up?
Replies tomorrow….

But, in other news, remember that Italy Trip and Greek Island Cruise I’ve had to cancel twice?

This girl booked that cruise again and now I get to plan all over again!
Hey! Congrats! I'm sure third time's the charm. :)

I've been MIA for a while and just getting caught up. Your photos are absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to read andsee more.
Glad to see you back!! And glad you're still enjoying this journey! I'm still going at a snail's pace due to work, but slow and steady, right?

Wow, those are just gorgeous photos!

Thanks, Mark! There were so many beautiful scenes along the way!
Oh, come on, Zach! When are you ever going to be here again?

Kids these days....
Ugh. Time for the PB&J special.

We had plenty of food.... we'd have been better off with it.
The storm clouds just really make these photos sing.

I really lucked out there!
Hey, that's really cool!
Unique if anything!

Lovely photos of the mountains and the lake. This really was a once in a lifetime trip. I'm glad to see you making the most of it.

It truly was!! There is just so much to see along our highways and byways!

I loved the tipi too. Not many can say they actually slept in areal one.

I think you are right! So glad this came onto my radar!
Looking forward to the next leg of your journey.

And it's up! Death Valley for your reading pleasure!

Wow I felt hot just reading that last update! Amazing photos but oh my goodness totally get why it’s called Death Valley at those temperatures.

It was almost unbearable. K-stan got that hot too and no one could really be out in it much. It literally burns your nose if you breathe in that way.
I have to ask what is TP? Sounds like you were well prepared for all eventualities which is great but I’ve no idea what TP stands for ( probably will as soon as you tell me :rotfl: ).

Toilet paper. :) but see that you got it in the end.
Your panoramic photo should be framed it’s so stunning and I can’t believe you came across a stream in that desert. I am loving traveling with you as you make this journey and so excited to hear that you’ve rebooked your cruise too. Many amazing adventures await you:goodvibes

I love that photo too and do wonder if it should be a contender for my little trinket corner/display from this trip. :)
edited to add-
TP = toilet paper right? Told you my brain was mush this morning :rotfl:
Theeeeere we go!! ;)

If you had to do a hike then this was a good one. I never realized that there was that much variation in color in the valley. It is gorgeous.
The valley once was home to America's largest borax mine due to its rich mineral deposits. There is actually a museum you can visit from the Harmony Borax Works Mine that used mules and wagons to haul it out. Just after my first was born, he was 11 months old, my ex and I went there, and at that little campground at Furnace Springs, I turned my back when he was on the picnic table. He fell off and broke his nose. It's still crooked today. :( I felt TERRIBLE!

But yes, the colors there, despite the barren landscape are absolutely amazing!

Ugh.
So... if it had been quiet, would you have slept later? Or did you need to be up that early anyway, based on the forecast temperatures?
Probably would have slept til at least daylight.
So... just a tiny bit... arid?

Just a wee bit. Glad we had 6 gallons of water in the car just in case.

And if you drove at 60MPH, you could have done a degree a minute a mile!

Now that's a new method of measurement.

Was it...
Hot Blooded - Foreigner
That's a GREAT playlist!
Some really incredible photos in this update. Could easily comment on all, but all pick out some faves...

Why thank you. I will say unequivocally that yours are far superior in your last update. Hoping to comment on it today!

I love this one. It's an absolute classic.

Love that one too, but I think my Monument Valley one is better coming up.

Huh. I doubt I would have thought of that. But... yeah, really smart idea.

We traveled some VERY remote roads this trip and I needed to be prepared!

:laughing: But of course! That's why it was in such short supply at the start of the pandemic!
(Remember that?)

:lmao:People are so idiotic sometimes.

Holy postcard, Batman!

:worship:

THanks!!! :) I like that one too!

Look at all those rose hues! Gorgeous.
From Wiki: "Artist's Drive rises up to the top of an alluvial fan fed by a deep canyon cut into the Black Mountains. Artist's Palette is an area on the face of the Black Mountains noted for a variety of rock colors. These colors are caused by the oxidation of different metals (iron compounds produce red, pink and yellow, decomposition of tuff-derived mica produces green, and manganese produces purple). "

I thought I'd taken a photo of the sign, but can't find it. I did find this though....

But pinks, too!

YES!! And greens!
I've never come close to experiencing anything like that.
I can't even imagine.

I had a necklace on... it was HOT on my neck!!

Almost looks like melted Neapolitan ice cream...
Love it!! Good way to describe!

That reminds me somewhat of the Badlands in South Dakota.

That's an area I have no recollection of or experience in. Would love to see it someday!
Huh! This I did not know.
I wonder if it's a function of lack of lift or engines overheating... or pilots.

Air too thin, blades can grab to lift off. Same with fixed wing. They need a certain pressure density minimum.
Sorry, it's too small to read. :(

I was afraid of that!
Whoa. No walking after 10am!!

RIGHT?? They take it very seriously!
Really! No way I ever would've expected that.
Do you know if the stream runs all the time? Or does it dry up?

I honestly don't. I'm sure at times it does? Maybe? I do know that at one of the pullout/stops we made there was a sign about life in the desert and the pupfish is one that does inhabit those streams.
Hey! Congrats! I'm sure third time's the charm. :)
At this point, I'm almost cynical. Honestly, it's hard to emotionally connect to it. Sadly.

Probably would have slept til at least daylight.
Slacker!
:laughing:
Just a wee bit. Glad we had 6 gallons of water in the car just in case.
Oh, sure. Totally causing the collapse of the ecosystem. Sheesh!

;)
That's a GREAT playlist!
:laughing: You mean you didn't have that???
Why thank you. I will say unequivocally that yours are far superior in your last update. Hoping to comment on it today!
Nah. Just different. :)
Love that one too, but I think my Monument Valley one is better coming up.
Oh! popcorn::
We traveled some VERY remote roads this trip and I needed to be prepared!
Right. On the major routes, maybe not so much. But off the beaten path? ::yes::
I thought I'd taken a photo of the sign, but can't find it. I did find this though....

Wow! Look at how green that is!
I had a necklace on... it was HOT on my neck!!
:scared:
Did you take it off?
That's an area I have no recollection of or experience in. Would love to see it someday!
I'm hoping to in the not tooooo distant future.
Air too thin, blades can grab to lift off. Same with fixed wing. They need a certain pressure density minimum.
So I was right with my first thought.
But not being a heli pilot, I didn't know if it might have to do with engine performance or pilot comfort.
At this point, I'm almost cynical. Honestly, it's hard to emotionally connect to it. Sadly.
:(
That's too bad.
And I can 100% relate.

The valley once was home to America's largest borax mine due to its rich mineral deposits. There is actually a museum you can visit from the Harmony Borax Works Mine that used mules and wagons to haul it out.
I remember the commercials for 20 Mule Team Borax on TV when I was a kid - which which was really long ago. ;)

But in the end, we wanted to be on the road as soon as possible to beat the heat of Death Valley.

Lest we die.

I mean....that seems totally valid.

Oddly, that 50 minutes also equals the amount of degrees Fahrenheit it can heat up in as many minutes, so we boogeyed.

Wow, really? I had no idea it was that rapid. Yikes!

The drive itself was filled with surreal scenes that looked like Star Wars movie sets. Truly, some of the places looked like the Black Spires of Batuu.

Yeah, I can definitely see that!

That just looks like a classic "road trip" photo to me.

Sand Dunes suck to hike on

::yes:: Truth.

Our next stop was Artists Palette. It is absolutely gorgeous! But with temps like this, there was literally no way to get out and immerse ourselves. We had to take in what we could from the car because in 122 degrees I was quickly getting a bit light-headed even with extra hydration and cooling off in the car before trying.

Wow, 122! I've never experience that. Can't say I'm in a hurry to do so, either. Those little pops of turquoise are really cool, though. Beautiful.

I forgot to take one (I was in a heat-induced rush to get back to the car!) of the sign we saw on the pit toilet door- it reminded travelers that rescue helicopters cannot fly in such hot weather. I think people don’t realize this. It said that “your rescue may be delayed”.

I had no idea that was the case. But that's pretty scary.

Death Valley is one of the parks I haven't visited yet. This is making me want to go in, like, February.

Was it...
Hot Blooded - Foreigner

:rotfl2::rotfl2::worship:

Well done, sir.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter