The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

Yup I am with your daughter - no fishies for me. Don't want them looking back at me. Oh wait I am a just for the halibut girl.
The meals looked divine and did she share her recipes so that you can recreate them at home? Homemade orchetti pasta - oh yum.
Fish definitely seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it thing. :)

She did; she gave us little notebooks to write them down as we cooked, but mine is back in Bowling Green. I tried in vain to get ahold of Anara so she could text pix of her notes, but she didn't answer. When I talk with her next time I'll ask her to do that so I can share. :)

Friends... Welcome to my Little Pity Party. I apologize in advance.

I'm drowning. I'm discouraged and defeated a little.

This class (Primary Care of the Adult Population) is, for me anyway, much more time-consuming and difficult than the others (Patho and Pharm) and it's all I can do to get enough sleep and rest. I have really no downtime as I work from 1-11:30PM, get to bed at 12:30 or 1, get up by 9:30 and study until I go to work again. On my days "off", I study from 9A- 10P with little breaks for at least a little mental health. I'm tired.

I'm not sharing all of that for sympathy or to make myself look good. I'm just being honest and need to ask a favor. If you are following this thread and have commented, please understand that I don't have the energy or time to reply until I get this class behind me. HOWEVER, writing and sharing is my therapy in some ways and allows me to step away from Diabetes, Gout, and Influenza (and 100 more, no exaggeration) diagnoses and treatments for a short time. I need the mini-vacations!!!

I KNOW that many, including myself when I am more active on the Boards and able to read reports and comment, have a hard time "investing" in peoples' threads if there is no reciprocation or interaction. I get it!! Honest! I am no different. BUT!!! For this short season of insanity, let me enjoy giving you the occasional chapter and indulge me with your beautiful, heartfelt comments, insights, whatever you care to leave for me. It DOES encourage me. It gives me a diversion from my very stressful life (did I mention that 40 hours a week in a high-acuity Recovery Room of a teaching hospital is a small piece of Hell in and of itself?). You, my friends, I can honestly say, keep me going just by being here and sharing even a word or two.

I am not one now, but two, chapters behind on comments, but I just don't have it in me to go back. But I PROMISE I have read and smiled at every single one- they are a treasure. I'm going to work on another chapter and if I am honest with both myself and you, my readers, I won't be able to comment for some time. I have 13 weeks left to pass this class. I plan to take the Practice Exam on the 13th, the REAL Exam 6 or so weeks after that, and should I fail it (many, many do) I will have to remediate and try again. The pressure is enormous.

So... with that, I hope you enjoy the chapter coming up and bless you all. :)
I love your trip reports and am amazed at what you have accomplished in your life. Thanks for writing about your trips.

I'm drowning. I'm discouraged and defeated a little.
I'm sorry to hear that. :(
I do know that you've gone through quite a bit already, both with your nursing school and now this (to date)... and you've come through everything with flying colours. Keep working at it and I'm sure you'll do great! :)
This class (Primary Care of the Adult Population) is, for me anyway, much more time-consuming and difficult than the others (Patho and Pharm) and it's all I can do to get enough sleep and rest. I have really no downtime as I work from 1-11:30PM, get to bed at 12:30 or 1, get up by 9:30 and study until I go to work again. On my days "off", I study from 9A- 10P with little breaks for at least a little mental health. I'm tired.
:faint:
I need the mini-vacations!!!
Yes you do!

And... we sure enjoy it when you do and we get to read a bit more of your adventures.
indulge me with your beautiful, heartfelt comments, insights, whatever you care to leave for me.
Sorry. Best I can do is mindless drivel.
did I mention that 40 hours a week in a high-acuity Recovery Room of a teaching hospital is a small piece of Hell in and of itself?
:scared:
I plan to take the Practice Exam on the 13th, the REAL Exam 6 or so weeks after that, and should I fail it (many, many do) I will have to remediate and try again. The pressure is enormous.
You got this. I know you do. :)

Rita had planned for us to go to the harbor to see the fishermen come in from their day at sea.
That's cool. Never done that... anywhere.
EDITED: Anara DID go with me! I talked to her tonight AFTER I posted this and she was indignant that I forgot she was there. Oops. ;)
:laughing: Busted!!
IMG_6976-2-L.jpg
Love the tone of this shot.
Some even smiled for the camera!!
I believe that's a monkfish.
mmm... crabs...
Hard to tell... are those lobsters or prawns?
At one point, one of the co-op leader/fish buyer/wholesalers took a bit of an extra interest and asked Rita "why she was bringing beautiful, young women to the docks”. “Are you trying to find her a husband? I am available…”
So you got hitched in Italy! Well, I'll be. Congrats!
I hope I didn’t offend, but I literally had NO idea how to react or reply. Was I supposed to be witty? Was he expecting a date? What the heck? I just don't think I could come home to fish stink every day.
:laughing:
So that's where you draw the line.

;)
ETA: Anara reminded me that they also sang us an Italian fishing song!!
Nice. :)
... which was obviously a MAN’S world. Maybe a woman hadn’t stepped foot in there in centuries, but I played the dumb tourist card and boldly took a few more photos until Rita came to find me.
Huh! I'm very surprised by that. Thought that would be something that would have changed years ago.

did you know that “furry” crabs even exist?!
Nope!
Those Italians sure know how to eat! Jeez, Louise!
::yes::
Rita had homemade orchietti on the menu and had all 3 of us expert handmade pasta makers in now time! Such fun!!!
So... think you could make it at home, now?
I was declared the “winner” (remember I sucked at focaccia earlier and was voted off that island?). So, YAY ME!
Congrats! :laughing:
Little roulades were expertly prepared with herbs and parmesan stuffed in the middle, rolled, then stewed in a rich wine and tomato sauce for a couple of hours.
mmmm... yum
(Sausages, NOT potatoes!)
Huh! I didn't know what it was until I read the caption... but I sure didn't expect that!
What else…? A gorgeous cream sauce for the orchietti so we could have it two ways. I mean, why not?! :faint:
They both look amazing.
OH!! And some rigatoni to wash it all down? Sure, I’m game. I mean one dish was more than enough, but 5?!
Of course!

:faint:
No Italian meal is complete without dessert, right?
Right!
A light, fluffy Lemon-Ricotta Cake would be just perfect. And it was. So perfect in fact, we had it for breakfast the next day too.
mmm... lemon. Yes please.
Did I feel sick afterwards. Maybe a little. Was it delicious? YOU KNOW IT!!!
:laughing:

I enjoy reading your trips reports and don't need you to respond to my comments. I know that you are busy with important and life defining activities. :)

The food looks absolutely amazing.

Really enjoying your trip thru Italy and Greece. You've done things most tourists don't get to experience. So nice you've been able to do it with some of your family. Special times you'll all remember! Good luck with your studies and work. It takes a lot of motivation and energy to do what you're doing!

Sounds like you are extra busy! Sending lots of hugs and soak-it-all-in vibes. This too shall pass...

Your further cooking adventures sound amazing. I'm still astounded that you found this.

I got a similar random flirtatious guy (but a bit more direct!) back when I was visiting then-bf in Gambia, and my response was, If I ever run into you in Paris, I'll go out with you! (I figured my chances were pretty good, and I was right, lol)

So... with that, I hope you enjoy the chapter coming up and bless you all.
Enjoying your TR as usual and do not worry!! We are still here and enjoying the ride!! I am not nearly as busy as you and still guilty of taking many months long breaks from the DIS and coming back once in a while and trying to get all caught up!! But I love hearing how everyone's doing and the pictures are amazing.

Your trip continues to sound fantastic as always, and I like coming here to fill in the gaps I can't see from just the pics on FB lol!! Especially hearing about all the food and cooking lol!! And adventures with travelling with family and ...seniors...which can be an adventure too!! Keep up the good work and good luck with your class!

I fell woefully behind trying to get ready for my Disney trip with my daughter and granddaughters. It was interesting to say the least but fun. I may do a trip report, but I am busy planning the solo trip my husband is "forcing" me to take. It wasn't hard to say I'll go again.

I saw your comment on toenail fungus and I have to agree. My one grandson has had an issue with his big toe since January. The poor boy had 4 shots of lidocaine and was still sobbing while they cut part of it away. He would yell a bad word, apologize and yell it again. Thankfully our foot doctor is amazing and a gamer so that helped my poor Mikey calm down.

I love the pics of the food making in Italy. I will have to look into visiting there with the grandson in a couple years. He really wants to go to Italy and he LOVES to cook. He makes a chicken alfredo (his recipe) and the one cheese costs about $25 - its aged 7+ years. I think that kind of trip would be a lot of fun for him. Plus he said he needs to visit his "homeland" since he is part Italian. He does make me laugh.

Looking forward to more but take your time.

B is for: Brick by Brick and Bounty of the Sea

**** Watermarked photos are mine; unmarked photos were taken by Anara. Honestly, she did better than I did on these!

Rita had planned a day of touring the area with a special trip up and into the Trulli Valley of the Puglia Region.

1692504001788.png

On our 1-hour journey up the from the low-lying seaside, Rita told us the story of how the Trulli-unique 😉 architecture got it’s start.

About halfway, we made a short stop at a roadside shrine which gave us a really nice view of the seaside lowland below us from where we'd come. Shannon was also getting a bit carsick from the winding road so having a bit of fresh air was really nice!

46761DA8-0F2F-48CD-8D6E-FA507AF348C0-2-L.jpg

There are many articles and websites giving in-depth histories of the trulli (plural) homes, but in a nutshell, they were the genius work of new, but poor, landowners who needed to construct a home that could be turned into rubble very quickly when the tax collectors came around. Apparently, in the 14th and 15th centuries, there was new King of Naples who gave an edict that levied a heavy tax on all new settlements. So, the landowners, with a good supply of peasant labor came up with this design to outsmart the system- build homes that could be destroyed in a few minutes.

IMG_7021-2-L.jpg

IMG_7020-2-L.jpg

IMG_7022-2-L.jpg

IMG_7026-2-L.jpg

One knock on the keystone, and wham! Problem solved. (If only we could be so lucky and clever nowadays!) The design is actually pretty amazing. Constructed with NO mortar or cement, they used the same technique that we saw in Greece earlier in the trip… “Dry Stone”. I’ve pasted in 2 articles that, if you’re interested, you can find out more about their history and construction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trullo

https://www.understandingitaly.com/trulli.html

Rita had a lifelong dream of buying one, and actually came close a couple of years ago, but someone swept in and got the one she’d picked out before her. Then Covid hit and she’s barely making ends meet now, and with her medical issues, she says that her opportunity has passed. My heart sank for her.

We first stopped at an abandoned trullo (singular) where we were able to see the inside and some of the construction technique. They are quite small with rooms off of the main circular room with the domed ceiling. A fireplace is off to one side and small alcoves meant for “shelving” were here and there recessed into the walls. Luckily, Anara took some really nice photos of the inside for us of this one which is being slowly renovated:

IMG_7023-2-L.jpg

3E245DCF-46CD-4D6C-ABBA-DFC28E196E36-2-L.jpg

BB4D5F7C-B363-4CF8-A737-79616079B8DA-2-L.jpg

7F2D30DE-3108-40B4-9B54-6400BC04DEAB-2-L.jpg

019F4FDC-F5C7-43CB-A350-E1B3EE1B4485-2-L.jpg

99796449-8C6C-4C70-83B5-9C1D2DDBDFC2-2-L.jpg

After our stop there, we drove into the actual town of Alberobello (which means beautiful tree), the most famous and touristy place to see big groups of trulli.

6CBE5FE2-4189-4AEC-8368-EE57854B078E-2-L.jpg

D7B6DD3E-4EF0-473B-A988-49B7ACAC9713-2-L.jpg

IMG_7031-2-L.jpg

IMG_7036-2-L.jpg

075D5248-C681-4D07-A200-09EB7A552F7F-2-L.jpg

IMG_7040-2-L.jpg

3CDEE9E1-362C-4875-AC4B-39209E6FA343-2-L.jpg

Most of the trulli in town are renovated and turned into pricey, chic Airbnbs or rentals that are way out of my price range. But it is a cute little town with little mom-and-pop shops selling souvenirs, some quite cute. Miniature trulli with tiny bonsai art seemed to be the thing there. No way to get it home, and again out of my budget, but fun to look at, nonetheless. After our free time walk through town, Rita aimed the car for our lunch spot- Ricciolandia, where we’d have a whole new adventure…..

IMG_7047-2-L.jpg

She was so excited to treat us to her favorite seafood place… Anara wasn’t so excited. When I think of “seafood” I think of, you know, fish. Or maybe shellfish like crab or shrimp.

We were not there for that. (Although we did get some of that too, that was a secondary afterthought.) Rita was beaming when she ordered a huge tray of…. URCHIN. I wasn’t so sure about this whole proposition but will never insult a hostess by refusing a meal. I’ve eaten some unbelievably bad food all over the world. My personal philosophy is- you do it. With a smile on your face. (Unless there’s a true allergy) I’d never tried urchin, so now was the time. I figured how bad can it really be?

IMG_7049-2-L.jpg

(The urchins before being cleaned and steamed)

The restaurant she treated us to was called the "Ricciolandia". "Riccio" is Italian for urchin, she explained, as our wine came along with our bread; I made sure to have a few hearty sips to prepare for this new adventure. Anara gave it a hard pass and ordered a dish of plain pasta with parmesan and butter.

IMG_7051-2-L.jpg

Rita said it was going to be a little bit before our food came so we took turns taking a short walk out to the water's edge. It was so strikingly blue and the air was so fresh! What a perfect little area to come have a picnic and a dip in the sea! I wanted to check the temperature so took my shoes off delicately stepped onto the rocky edge. That's when I felt the ocean's temperature. My whole leg in fact, because the rocks happened to be slimy and I went **** over teakettle in a not-so-delicate manner.

Great. Now I'd be one more outfit down until we found a laundromat.

Wet and embarrassed I went back to the table to wait for our food.

IMG_7054-2-L.jpg

So, here’s the deal. It was fishier tasting than anything I’ve ever eaten from the sea. It’s a bit slimy too. Rita demonstrated the proper technique of taking a piece of bread and scooping out the inside treasure (?) of urchin goo and popping into your mouth. While I wasn’t technically gagging, I kinda was. I like fish, honest. But this was just out of my fish-loving league. I couldn’t let Rita be responsible for the entire tray of like 20? Urchins, so put on my best brave face and ate maybe 6 or so. Generous gulps of wine made the urchin eating better and the table a little merrier.

Several more dishes came out as well which were quite tasty. Fried whole fish is NEVER a wrong choice.

I have absolutely zero recollection of this one, but am pretty sure it looks like fried calamari or something.

IMG_7062-2-L.jpg

With that, it was back to the villa for yet another round of cooking. I have no idea where I was going to put even one more bite of anything in my mouth that day, but well, when your hostess goes out of her way to stop at the butcher for more meat, I guess you must sacrifice, right?

Last edited:
Most of the trulli in town are renovated and turned into pricey, chic Airbnbs or rentals that are way out of my price range. But it is a cute little town with little mom-and-pop shops selling souvenirs, some quite cute.
The town is adorable. It looks like something out of Lord of the Rings. The construction is ingenious. I would think the heavy stone would keep the dwellings cool in the heat.

Rita was beaming when she ordered a huge tray of…. URCHIN.
You are a good sport. Your daughter had the right idea. :) The urchin looks disgusting.
I wanted to check the temperature so took my shoes off delicately stepped onto the rocky edge. That's when I felt the ocean's temperature.
So how was the water temperature? ;)
That would be super embarassing.

Rita had planned a day of touring the area with a special trip up and into the Trulli Valley of the Puglia Region.

1692504001788.png
So the Achilles heel of the country. Got it.
Shouldn't that be in Greece??
how the Trulli-unique 😉 architecture
Yes, I see what you did there. :)
Shannon was also getting a bit carsick from the winding road so having a bit of fresh air was really nice!
Shannon? I think I missed something. What was this, again?
landowners who needed to construct a home that could be turned into rubble very quickly when the tax collectors came around.
That's one way of avoiding taxes.

"So let me get this straight, Herb... So to not pay $200 in taxes you just cause $30,000 worth of damage to your house?"
One knock on the keystone, and wham! Problem solved. (If only we could be so lucky and clever nowadays!)
I don't want to be that lucky!
"So... sorry about that. I was just trying to deliver this Amazon parcel and accidentally knocked your house over."
Rita had a lifelong dream of buying one, and actually came close a couple of years ago, but someone swept in and got the one she’d picked out before her.
But then maybe you wouldn't have stayed with her?
Then Covid hit and she’s barely making ends meet now, and with her medical issues, she says that her opportunity has passed. My heart sank for her.
:(
We first stopped at an abandoned trullo (singular)
Ah! I was wondering what you meant when you earlier posted Trulli (plural).
Like this shot. :)
So many!
I don't know how Fido is going to feel about knocking his house down.

"Sorry, pup. Gotta knock down the ol' doghouse."

"Grrrrrrr..."

(I didn't even notice the second dog until the third look!)
Most of the trulli in town are renovated and turned into pricey, chic Airbnbs or rentals that are way out of my price range.
Huh. Bit surprised. Thought that'd go the other direction.
She was so excited to treat us to her favorite seafood place… Anara wasn’t so excited.
Not a fish lover, if I recall from earlier. Maybe I'm wrong.
When I think of “seafood” I think of, you know, fish. Or maybe shellfish like crab or shrimp.
Well, sure. It's what we're used to seeing.
Rita was beaming when she ordered a huge tray of…. URCHIN.
Cool! I'd be all over that.

Unless I didn't care for it of course. But I'd love to give it a go.
My personal philosophy is- you do it. With a smile on your face.
Anara gave it a hard pass and ordered a dish of plain pasta with parmesan and butter.
:laughing: Well, if she doesn't like seafood... she really isn't going to
What a perfect little area to come have a picnic and a dip in the sea!
Sounds really nice... unless of course you...
wanted to check the temperature so took my shoes off delicately stepped onto the rocky edge. That's when I felt the ocean's temperature. My whole leg in fact, because the rocks happened to be slimy and I went **** over teakettle in a not-so-delicate manner.
unless you... do that.

:lmao: :rotfl:

Sorry. Shouldn't laugh at your misfortune...

Bwahahaha!

Sorry.
Beautiful shot! :thumbsup2
Those rocks look slippery...

:rolleyes:
Rita demonstrated the proper technique of taking a piece of bread and scooping out the inside treasure (?) of urchin goo and popping into your mouth.
That sounds good. Basically... scarpetta!
Generous gulps of wine made the urchin eating better and the table a little merrier.
:rolleyes1
(I mean, they are kinda pretty tho)
Fried whole fish is NEVER a wrong choice.
Absolutely. Hello!
I have no idea where I was going to put even one more bite of anything in my mouth that day, but well, when your hostess goes out of her way to stop at the butcher for more meat, I guess you must sacrifice, right?
Right!

<urp>

I could not have eaten the urchin. You're way braver and nicer than me.

Sorry about your sea mishap. I hope you dried out fast.

Lovely photos of said sea.

Oh wow...I think I would have had a hard time putting on a brave face and diving into the sea urchin goo...but the fried fish looked delish!! Those pics of the sea are incredible!! Too bad about your wipeout!!

After our stop there, we drove into the actual town of Alberobello (which means beautiful tree), the most famous and touristy place to see big groups of trulli.
Truli a beautiful place and the architecture is amazing.

That's when I felt the ocean's temperature. My whole leg in fact, because the rocks happened to be slimy and I went **** over teakettle in a not-so-delicate manner.
Great. Now I'd be one more outfit down until we found a laundromat.

Wet and embarrassed I went back to the table to wait for our food.
I too would have laughed at you falling into the water - hope you didn't squish when you walked.

Again I am with your daughter and I wouldn't even try the sea urchins. Pasta for the win.
Seafood is not for me so I am not sure I would have eaten anything. Picky eater here.

Alright Friends, I have a few weeks "off" until my next term begins. I'm pleased to report that I....

PASSED MY EXAM!!!!

:banana: :dancer::banana::dancer::banana::dancer::banana:

I had scheduled it for 4:00 on Monday afternoon....

or so I thought. I logged on to check to see if the countdown clock had opened up as it usually does a few hours before the exam, but nothing.

HUH?!

After a bit of researching I realized, to my horror, I had accidently scheduled this proctored exam for the day before thinking Labor Day was the 3rd----- it was the 4th.

Luckily, there were openings on the 4th, but my parents had already made a dinner reservation in Nashville for 6:00 so I could either celebrate or drop tears of defeat into a margarita.

We joked that Plan C was to PREPARE with a margarita.

With some luck I found a time slot for 9:30 that evening and even with a delicious jalepeno marg onboard, I passed it at 11:30PM. It was a CRAZY difficult one- harder, IMHO, than the Patho or Pharm ones were. Just a LOT more information to hold in this already overloaded brain.

I have SO much I want to get done during my break- and one of those goals is to work on making progress on this TR on my 3 days off a week!! It's taking so long! OY!! But I also need to start making tracks on planning my Philippines, Bali, Australia, Tasmania trip too. On top of that, I have a BUNCH of Skills Workshops that I need to work my way through and get done, as well as some Credentialing stuff for one of my Clinical Sites. It's a busy life right now.

All that to say, I have edited my photos for our bus trip to Naples from Puglia, and hope to get that chapter done tomorrow. It'll be short and sweet- promise!

Well done. I am sure that you could have done without all the drama but onward and upward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter