The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

The term started on May 1 and, with a TON of hard work and a lot of stress, things are falling into place.
Glad to hear that things are going well. :)
desperately had to find a new travel contract which miraculously happened last week.
Great! Bet that's a relief.
She's even letting me share her Airbnb's couch to sleep on for the contract. For a fair portion of the cost, of course.
Seems more than fair. :)
3 VERY difficult exams, one Advanced Math Calculations and not one, but two Advanced Dysrhythmias exams. I failed every one once, studied for days, re-took them, and passed with 90%+.
Whoa! But nice job! 90%+! Impressive. :worship:
Anyhow, I'm all set to start June 20th.
Oh! You have to wait almost a month before you can start. :scared: Money will be a bit tight until then, I'm betting.
Finally, I have 4 Preceptors/Clinics who've agreed to take me on for May-October next summer. One at an Urgent Care, one at a Family/Low-Income Community Health Clinic, one at a Primary Care Clinic, and the last with a General Surgeon for my specialty hours. PHEW!!! That's huge!!
Glad that fell into place too.
The LAST Task in the class is a HUGE assignment. The whole class (other than the Clinical stuff) is how to do a COMPLETE Head-to-Toe History and Physical Exam.
Holy cow.
which includes everything but the female-specific stuff.
I'm surprised that shoe buying is part of the exam.
I have to demonstrate how to test for and rule out rotator cuff tears vs. impingement syndrome, how to assess precordial pulsations, palpating and measuring liver span, you name it,
Oh sure. Anyone can do that.

:rolleyes1
It should take us about 3 hours to get through it.
Wait... is that a typo? Three hours??????
I'm terrified. I really am. So wish me luck.
If it's three hours, I don't blame you!
But I also know that you can do this. ::yes::

Good luck! (But I don't think you'll need luck. You'll be great!)
I do promise, the best is actually about to start!!! We visited some truly OUT OF THE WAY places in Italy that far fewer tourists get to. I think you'll be pleased with our touring! So, don't abandon me yet!!! :)
Can't wait! :)
popcorn::

It pays to have friends in the right places. :)

Good luck with your studies. A nurse practitioner is a very important position, so I can see how the studies would be intensive.

I'm looking forward to the next phase of your trip. Less is more when it comes to traveling companions. :)

Congrats on passing the exam!
Thanks!!! :)
Write some what?
har har...
mmmmmm... meat...

Screenshot2021-04-03at3.14.59PM_1024x1024.png
It's what makes a TR great!! (That and exploding helicopters.)
:confused3

Bob?

Darren?

Sylvia????
There may have been some of those too. No idea!!
Actually, no, I did not know that's where the statue of David was.
Nor did I until I did some research. Before I started getting into this, I would have guessed the Uffizi.
That's just... I mean... ridiculously incredible! Even before I read your comment on the hand, I was marveling at it. It looks so lifelike!
RIGHT?! It's just so crazy! No wonder it's of international acclaim.
Until right now, I had no idea that David was actually holding anything! Is that a towel?

So, David fought Goliath, right? in his left hand is the pouch of rocks he'd have needed, and in the right, slung over his shoulder is the sling itself. :)
How can they do that?!?!?!? It's stone!
I'd imagine with a LOT of patience and practice.
Is that... a folding clarinet?????
It is!! Pretty neato huh?!
Nice that it was that close. I presume if it hadn't been, you wouldn't have been able to go.
No, it would have been out of the question. When I was plotting out our walking tours and looking at places we could see that were very near our apartment, this came up. The route was only about 1/2 mile square so it was easy to flit from place to place.
I think I've seen that (or similar) before. I don't believe it was particularly useful.
No, like many of his ideas, none really were feasible or took off. While quite thoughtful and creative, they weren't very practical.
Looks like a perfectly executed method to kill someone underwater.
LOL!!! Yep!
I like that she put her arm through. Neat effect!
I thought so too!!!
45 minutes??? Did you run???
It wasn't a terrible large museum and we mostly skipped the hands-on section.
Decimated? You took the Chopper Upper with you?
HAHAHA!
It's like you've never tried to ride Peter Pan at Disney.
My usual line wait cut off is about 30 minutes. Anymore than that, I just ain't gonna do it.
Why not?
You'd throw out 40 bucks worth of sandwiches... :rolleyes1
Which is another reason I wouldn't spend MORE. The daily allotment was toast.
I am not impressed with churches that charge money to go inside. What if you just want to have a quiet place to rest? Or pray? I mean... it's a church! Shouldn't it welcome the poor???
Bingo!
Of course you did. You're tourists... they can charge whatever they want.
Sigh... such a truism.
:laughing:
"You'll eat it and you'll like it."
:lmao:
Did you regret that, considering the mass of food that arrived?
Yeah, actually kinda. None of us could have EVER guessed the amount would be obscene.
Mass of food! Did you guys come close to finishing all that???
Shockingly, yeah, we actually did. There were leftovers, but not enough to be embarrassing.

Great! Bet that's a relief.
It was a colossal relief!
Oh! You have to wait almost a month before you can start. :scared: Money will be a bit tight until then, I'm betting.
Yeah. :( And my first payday won't even be until the 30th. UGH.
I'm surprised that shoe buying is part of the exam.
Aren't you the funny one. ;)
Wait... is that a typo? Three hours??????
Yes, 3 hours.
If it's three hours, I don't blame you!
But I also know that you can do this. ::yes::

Good luck! (But I don't think you'll need luck. You'll be great!)
I really hope so.

It pays to have friends in the right places. :)
For sure!!!
Good luck with your studies. A nurse practitioner is a very important position, so I can see how the studies would be intensive.
That is true. I take the responsibility very seriously and really am putting in the effort to be the best one I can be. :)
I'm looking forward to the next phase of your trip. Less is more when it comes to traveling companions. :)
The whole dynamic really changed with having just the 2 of us. We could cover a LOT more territory without the pressure of meeting back up deadlines, and we could be a ton more adventurous.

It's what makes a TR great!! (That and exploding helicopters.)
Meat filled exploding helicopters!
(That's how rotisserie BBQ was invented, you know.)
Nor did I until I did some research. Before I started getting into this, I would have guessed the Uffizi.
So we're both dumb tourists...
RIGHT?! It's just so crazy! No wonder it's of international acclaim.
I had no idea. I've seen photos and memes etc, but.. had no idea just how detailed it was!
So, David fought Goliath, right?
<face palm>
Oh! That David! For some reason I didn't associate it with the biblical one.
It is!! Pretty neato huh?!
::yes::
It wasn't a terrible large museum and we mostly skipped the hands-on section.
I bet!
"But mom, we want to read about..."
Liesa: "NO TIME! RUNNNN!!!!"
My usual line wait cut off is about 30 minutes. Anymore than that, I just ain't gonna do it.
I'm about the same. I don't do lines at Disney. I'll pay to skip them, thankyouverymuch.
Which is another reason I wouldn't spend MORE. The daily allotment was toast.
The sandwiches were toasted, huh?

:rolleyes:
Shockingly, yeah, we actually did. There were leftovers, but not enough to be embarrassing.
You guys did pretty good!
Yeah. :( And my first payday won't even be until the 30th. UGH.
They usually want you to work before they pay you. Bosses are funny that way.
Aren't you the funny one. ;)
Yes, 3 hours.
:faint:

Catching up. We loved Florence when we were there. About a decade ago you couldn’t buy timed tickets to the museums. So when we did the Uffizi we had to get up early and stand in line for a hour before it opened. It is a huge museum. When we go back eventually, we want to tour the Pitti Palace. We also loved how walkable Florence was. Made seeing everything very convenient

X is for: NON-Xoanon

Bet you’re wondering what that even means. 😉

We’ll get there, but first we have to GET there! But where is there? “There” is the quaint little city of Bari, located on Italy’s east coast right above where the “Heel of the Boot” starts. It’s a seaside town, sleepy, and full of tradition.

Why did I choose to go there, you may also be asking.

The backstory...

“It all started with a mouse”, so they say. Once upon a time back in 2016, I took a celebration trip to Disney for my undergraduate nursing degree. I had decided to try Maria and Enzo’s as it was still fairly new, and the theming was right up my alley. How cool that they went with a 1930’s abandoned air terminal replete with Art Nouveau murals and décor. Love it! The food was sort of meh-ish but something extraordinary happened during that meal.

I was with my 3 youngest kids who at the time were all teens, or just beyond, and we were having the loveliest time chatting with our Italian waitstaff. Even as far back as then, Italy was on my bucket list of places to travel to and I asked our server where I should go if I went to Italy.

“Oh! You MUST come to my village Bari, and another beautiful place is Polignano a Mare!! It is so beautiful there and you will love it!!”

I was sold. I had her write down the names of those towns and promised to take her advice and visit someday. The paper is long gone, but I had memorized the names and when it came time to actually plan out my itinerary, I remembered that sweet server from Maria and Enzo’s. We never made it quite to Polignano a Mare, but we came very, VERY close. I’ll get to that soon, but first, we’ll explore Bari where very few tourists venture. In a nutshell, it was amazing; just absolutely exactly all that I had dreamed about in an Italian vacation!

So, let’s go!!!

We were all up very early, long before sunrise, and hired a baggage handler to get all of our stuff with a cart to the bus station. We paid nearly $50 Euro for that, but man was it ever worth it!!! We all bought bus tickets to the airport, but as it turned out, we ended up having to split up due to the bus that was just leaving only having 2 seats left on it. Anara’s and my flight left first, so we said an extremely hasty goodbye and boarded the bus. Mom, Dad, and Mikki would take the next bus and began their long journey home. With only a small bit of drama which I’ll spare you from, we finally got on our flight on Ryan Air. With some not very great experiences at the Marco Polo Airport now, I highly doubt I’ll ever choose to transit through there again. (More on that in another post). The point here is that we were finally on our way to the Mother-Daughter portion of the trip that was so altogether very different that what I’d done in Greece. If I could only choose one half of this trip to get to do all over, I’d definitely choose the half we were just setting out on.

The sky was breathtaking as we broke through the clouds promising a great day ahead!

The Bari airport is a full 30 minutes outside the historic area of the city where we were staying for the night. I hailed a taxi and soon enough we were dropped off on the main road with a wave of the hand… “that way, through there”.

"Uhh…. Where?"

“Just there.”

“There” was the extent of our driver’s English.

I hopped on the Airbnb app and messaged our hostess through What’sApp- the preferred method that most of our hosts liked to use. It’s basically free phone calling on the net. Within a couple of minutes, a guy on a motorcycle asked if I was “Liesa” and showed us the way through the dense maze of narrow alleys in “there”. Seriously, it was such an amazing setting of little lanes all twisting and turning only wide enough for 2-3 people, or one Vespa, to traverse at a time.

It was far too early for our Airbnb to be ready, but we’d made arrangements for our luggage to be dropped off until we could come back and check in. Interestingly, the “storage place” was across the alley with a neighbor who would watch over it until then. Basically, it was her kitchen.

By the time we dropped our bags off it was about 10:15 and we were itching to explore what Bari has to offer. We didn’t have to go far. In fact, we were right in the heart of Bari Old Town and in the neighborhood where, for generations, ladies have set up their tables for their art of pasta making. The local specialty of Bari is “orchietti” which literally means “little ears” and it’s not hard to understand why. Each little noodle does indeed resemble a little ear once shaped with the nimble fingers of these local experts. Done completely by hand with only a knife to aid. It was mesmerizing to watch!

Each lady had a table of her pasta all bagged up for sale and they came in a wide variety of colors to choose from- red, purple, yellow, green…. Orchietti is the main pasta shape sold, but a few sellers also offered a few other types. Some had a few fruits or veggies; others had bags of sundried tomatoes. If you’re wondering, yes, I’d specifically chosen to stay in this area so I could see this ancient tradition being done. The neighborhood did NOT disappoint!!!

The other reason was for the Castello Svevo which was a 2-minute walk across the street.

And yet another reason was that I simply had to visit the memorial of Saint Nicholas. Yes, THAT Saint Nicholas; the one who Santa Claus gets his namesake from- or at least one namesake from. There are lots of hat tips and nods to Old St. Nick all around town, and even a Santa Claus Museum, which, while we stayed very close to, chose not to partake.

I have a saying in life- “But First Coffee”. I even have a cute little magnetic plaque that says exactly that hanging near my espresso machine in my RV. We were both pretty hungry, so we set off in search of coffee and eats. Luckily, Italians take their food (and coffee!) very seriously and it’s pretty easy to find something that will satisfy within a few steps. This morning was no exception and soon we were seated at the cutest little outdoor café sipping on a yummy latte and eating some creamy tortellini that was just perfect. We shared it and it was just enough to tide us over until dinner. We loved our little neighborhood eatery, and I enjoyed coffee there a couple of times. Mmmm!!!!

Full of creamy, delicious pasta, we still had quite a bit of time to explore and we opted for the nearest bit of antiquity- the Castello Svevo. Built in 1132 by a Norman King, it’s now used as both a museum and a venue for conferences and such. For those of you who skim, we loved it!! This is an absolutely fascinating site and still being actively excavated.

Continued in next post...

Last edited:
Continued from previous post...

For those of you who do want the details, we paid our modest entry fee of something like 9 E for me and 4.5 E for Anara. An absolute STEAL for what it is. It’s not huge and the exhibits aren’t extensive, but it’s so well done! The little self-guided tour takes you from room to room of restored areas with nice explanatory signage along the way. The detailing in some of the works is pretty amazing with loads of mythical creatures depicting the Norman culture at the time they were made. Honestly, it was a nice change from the Grecian and Roman styles we’d seen so much of up until then. (Which explains the title of this chaper- ‘Xoanon’ refers to a simple wood carving especially Greek in origin. This art was decidedly NOT that.)

Surviving pieces of fresco:

From the collection of excavated pottery:

I can’t find the photo of the underground cemetery excavations, so here is one that I found on the internet.

While we really enjoyed the time we spent there, something else happened there that truly warmed my heart. There was a convention of some Italian Navy officers going on and several were milling about in a courtyard during a break. One approached the both of us and at first, I thought, “UH OH! Did we do something wrong?"

It was exactly the opposite. He was, in fact, a bit emotional as he began to personally thank us for coming to the Puglia Region of Italy. He told us that not very many tourists come to this area, and he was very thankful to see people traveling there to see their unique lifestyle and see how beautiful it is there. I wondered how much more he appreciated it being that it was only a year after Covid wiped out their entire economy for 2 long years.

We, of course, were very touched at this and fell in love with Puglia and Bari all over again.

By the time we were done with our castle visit, the Airbnb was ready, and we headed back through the Arco Alto, the primary gate into the Old Town area to take a little rest.

Before I put my feet up, I enjoyed watching this lady making her pasta right outside our door.

Here are a few photos of our lovely little one room Airbnb. It was quite comfortable, clean, well-equipped, and a bit on the funky side. The best part about it, of course, was the fantastic location.

Here is the listing if you ever find yourself in Bari, Italy:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/42706259?source_impression_id=p3_1685504682_A6IhSkShWJ6f9/Zo

She even provided a little Puglian snack!

Next up: The rest of our day and evening in Bari…

Last edited:
Meat filled exploding helicopters!
(That's how rotisserie BBQ was invented, you know.)
"Huh, this meat tastes a little like AvGas".
So we're both dumb tourists...
I suppose so!
I had no idea. I've seen photos and memes etc, but.. had no idea just how detailed it was!
I know!!! Just stunning.
<face palm>
Oh! That David! For some reason I didn't associate it with the biblical one.
The very one!
I bet!
"But mom, we want to read about..."
Liesa: "NO TIME! RUNNNN!!!!"
It was, admittedly a bit like that sadly.
I'm about the same. I don't do lines at Disney. I'll pay to skip them, thankyouverymuch.
I've never paid for a single Genie-whatever-it's-called. I'll just skip it and move on.
The sandwiches were toasted, huh?

heh, nope. Trashed.

Catching up. We loved Florence when we were there. About a decade ago you couldn’t buy timed tickets to the museums. So when we did the Uffizi we had to get up early and stand in line for a hour before it opened. It is a huge museum. When we go back eventually, we want to tour the Pitti Palace. We also loved how walkable Florence was. Made seeing everything very convenient
I did love Florence too and would have loved to have gotten to spend more time there.

Sounds like you did a perfect Rope Drop strategy! If we'd had more than a short day and a half I'd have spent a bit more time at the Uffizi and yes, added the Pitti.

All caught up!

And as they say, (this is a rule) if you have a little time to kill, gelato will do the job nicely!!!
I feel like that's a great rule. I might steal that one.

Hi.

It doesn’t take effort, at all, to come across those glorious gelato shops that seem to be as ubiquitous as $ixbucks and Dollar Stores around here.
That's a big upgrade, IMO. The U.S. could learn something here.

That's because my trip notes for that day look like this:

FAA8F3F9-4703-4AB1-929A-33575CCA1DFE.jpeg
Hey, that looks like my notes from every day! This is why I keep adding exploding helicopters.

There were others that I’m sure led unsavory, probably what would now be unpopular lifestyles, such as Nero and Ceasar, whose busts were inside, and yet there they stand. Perhaps, they may bring someone to contemplate, “Never again”, or “I’m grateful for what we have now.”, or “How can I lead differently?”. There was no ridiculous, infantile tearing down of history in Italy such as we saw here a short couple of years ago, when small groups of out-of-control anarchists thought it was their job to erase history as if it was their own to rule over. I would present that there are better ways to ponder, reflect, debate, and disagree than to destroy what we have, even if we don’t or can’t appreciate. <steps off soapbox>
I'm conflicted on this one (and don't want to start an argument). I think the question becomes whether building a statue for someone is tantamount to approval. Generally that's how a statue is seen in the public square--a memorial to someone we would hope to emulate or remember. Can it be more nuanced than that? Sure. But it reminds me of a quote a filmmaker once said, that it was impossible to make an anti-war movie. His argument was that the movies typically glorify whatever is on-screen, and it was very difficult or impossible to craft a film that didn't glorify its content to some degree. I'm not sure I totally agree with that (Saving Private Ryan seemed to do the trick) but I can understand the point of view. There were definitely many Confederate soldiers who fought bravely and had nuanced reasons for choosing the side they did. But they also fought to uphold slavery. Is that worthy of a statue?

Of course, then you bring in another counter-argument: is ANYONE worthy of a statue? Dig deep enough and I guarantee you will find unsavory aspects in anyone's life.

All that to say, I don't know what the right answer is.
This is a great article about those ceilings specifically and honestly, those alone are worth a visit to this museum!!! (With way better photos!)
I'm amazed at how so many European buildings are just covered, every square inch, in art. It blows me away.

First, I give you a pair of perfect busts:
Woman: Is this some kind of a bust?

Police detective: Yes, ma'am, it's very impressive.

This funky piece was actually “hidden”. I noticed some folks standing at a window with their necks craned around. I took a peek and encountered this:

Um...okay.

This is one that the girls gushed on and on about. They were surprised at how graphic and detailed this work was! (Going out on a limb here, but I'm gonna guess this was an arterial wound...)
Dude ticked off the wrong women.

One that's super well known and perhaps recognizable to some of you??
Not to this uncultured swine.

Sadly, my folks got absolutely, hopelessly lost and even had a local person call me so I could explain where we were. He said he'd be able to point the way to them and make sure they found us. That, unfortunately did NOT happen, and about 20 minutes later (we're up to an hour now) they called me themselves and told us where THEY were and could we just come get them. Mom just couldn't walk anymore. Finally, FINALLY reunited, a super nice local offered to call a taxi for us and within 5 minutes we were picked up by an incredibly sweet lady driver and were home within 10 minutes or so.
Wow, that was quite the ordeal!

Everyone absolutely adored this meal despite being extremely exhausted from a very long day of travel, excessive sight-seeing, getting lost with tons of extra walking, and (for us) a very late dinner.
I'm glad the day ended well, though!

In celebration of passing the ridiculously difficult (for me) math exam that was assigned to me from compliance at my new PACU contract at UK in Lexington, I am going to relax a little bit and write some.
Congratulations!

If you guessed David, you are right!!!
I knew David was in Florence, but that was as close as I got.

Another incredible work, no?! Look at those folds in her robe!!!
Yes. Truly amazing work!

Ever been to a children’s museum?
Of course! I grumble about the way they charge adults full price and then don' t let us play on the exhibits.

There were dozens of replicas with explanations of da Vinci’s contraptions and machines and a surprising number of them were devoted to ingenious, but rather sinister, instruments of war. Chopper-uppers, trench diggers, you name it. There were flying machines, submarines, and studies of the human anatomy that da Vinci was obsessed with. The place was full of interactive displays, like blocks to teach kids (and probably some adults) about arches and force in architecture, optical illusion displays, and even movies that helped explain the history behind the inventor, painter, scientist.
Now that place looks really cool!

It was at that moment that the truffle oil stink bomb hit my face. The odor was so overpowering it clung to my clothes like gum in a toddler’s hair and it permeated everything and hung in the air like the last unfiltered thing you didn’t mean to say in front of all your co-workers. Ah well, I wrapped them back up and we were ready to go.
Oof. Yeah, that's a no from me.

“Madam.” Shaking her head and giving me a look of half stink eye and half disappointment. Crap! I was so busted.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: She is good.

We told him they were on their way and yes, we’d eat there for sure, but we couldn’t help but be very aware he was completely serious about holding it for ONLY 10 minutes. Exactly 13 minutes later, Mom and the girls showed up panting, and my poor mom with her cane definitely limping.
Holy cow. Glad you got the 3-minute grace period.

The waiter, the same one who was no nonsense about holding the table, was also no-nonsense about taking our order. So much so, that he basically told us what we were going to get.
Wow. Bedside manner could use some work.

On the other hand, that looks really impressive! Might be Drooling Homer-worthy.

That was a HUGE relief! For this contract, I had to do a ton of compliance things- drug screening, background check, physical exam, and 14 hours of computer modules and 3 VERY difficult exams, one Advanced Math Calculations and not one, but two Advanced Dysrhythmias exams. I failed every one once, studied for days, re-took them, and passed with 90%+. If you don't use knowledge it doesn't get remembered all that well. Anyhow, I'm all set to start June 20th.
Geez. I bet you're glad to have that behind you.

I do promise, the best is actually about to start!!! We visited some truly OUT OF THE WAY places in Italy that far fewer tourists get to. I think you'll be pleased with our touring! So, don't abandon me yet!!! :)
I'm still here!

I had decided to try Maria and Enzo’s as it was still fairly new, and the theming was right up my alley. How cool that they went with a 1930’s abandoned air terminal replete with Art Nouveau murals and décor. Love it! The food was sort of meh-ish but something extraordinary happened during that meal.
That sounds like my impression of Maria & Enzo's as well. Food was just ok. Loved the theme.

“Oh! You MUST come to my village Bari, and another beautiful place is Polignano a Mare!! It is so beautiful there and you will love it!!”
Nice, I'm glad you were able to keep that promise!

Interestingly, the “storage place” was across the alley with a neighbor who would watch over it until then. Basically, it was her kitchen.
:rotfl2:

I have a saying in life- “But First Coffee”.
I agree.

(Which explains the title of this chaper- ‘Xoanon’ refers to a simple wood carving especially Greek in origin. This art was decidedly NOT that.)
But I did learn something here.

It was exactly the opposite. He was, in fact, a bit emotional as he began to personally thank us for coming to the Puglia Region of Italy. He told us that not very many tourists come to this area, and he was very thankful to see people traveling there to see their unique lifestyle and see how beautiful it is there. I wondered how much more he appreciated it being that it was only a year after Covid wiped out their entire economy for 2 long years.
Wow, what a special moment Makes the journey worthwhile by itself.

She even provided a little Puglian snack!
Any place that gives free snacks is all right by me!

X is for: NON-Xoanon

Bet you’re wondering what that even means. 😉
Nah. It's obviously the opposite of Xoanon.
located on Italy’s east coast right above where the “Boot” starts.
I think you meant to say where the "Heel" starts. I think all of Italy is boot shaped.
1685686602283.png
“It all started with a mouse”, so they say.
Hantavirus?
I had her write down the names of those towns and promised to take her advice and visit someday.
That's a pretty cool story. Just think... so far (at least in this update) you seem pretty enamored with Bari. You may not have even gone if you hadn't had dinner at Maria & Enzo's!
In a nutshell, it was amazing; just absolutely exactly all that I had dreamed about in an Italian vacation!
I'm so happy you had such a wonderful time!
Anara’s and my flight left first, so we said an extremely hasty goodbye and boarded the bus.
Oh! You flew! I just assumed you would've taken a train or bus.
Having measured (on the above map), it would probably have taken you most of a day to travel there from Venice by land.
With only a small bit of drama which I’ll spare you from
Why?????
Drama is why we read TRs!
With some not very great experiences at the Marco Polo Airport now, I highly doubt I’ll ever choose to transit through there again. (More on that in another post).
Oh?
If I could only choose one half of this trip to get to do all over, I’d definitely choose the half we were just setting out on.
Whoa. Considering everything you've posted so far, that's saying something.
The sky was breathtaking as we broke through the clouds promising a great day ahead!
"However, underneath the clouds was sleet, rain, fog and gale force winds."

I hailed a taxi and soon enough we were dropped off on the main road with a wave of the hand… “that way, through there”.
:lmao:
Within a couple of minutes, a guy on a motorcycle asked if I was “Liesa”
No. Way!
Small town or what???
Interestingly, the “storage place” was across the alley with a neighbor who would watch over it until then. Basically, it was her kitchen.
I kinda like that, actually. :)
The local specialty of Bari is “orchietti” which literally means “little ears” and it’s not hard to understand why. Each little noodle does indeed resemble a little ear once shaped with the nimble fingers of these local experts. Done completely by hand with only a knife to aid. It was mesmerizing to watch!
I love that it's still done the traditional way. It's probably been done that way for centuries.
Quite the earful.
And yet another reason was that I simply had to visit the memorial of Saint Nicholas. Yes, THAT Saint Nicholas; the one who Santa Claus gets his namesake from- or at least one namesake from. There are lots of hat tips and nods to Old St. Nick all around town, and even a Santa Claus Museum, which, while we stayed very close to, chose not to partake.
Whelp... went down the proverbial rabbit hole there.
I thought "St. Nicholas was from Italy?"
And he wasn't. He was from Turkey. (For some reason, I thought he was from a bit farther north... Romania, perhaps.)
However... most of him is in Bari, now. Interesting that you flew to a place where some of him is from the other place where the rest of him is!
I have a saying in life- “But First Coffee”.
This morning was no exception and soon we were seated at the cutest little outdoor café sipping on a yummy latte and eating some creamy tortellini that was just perfect.
Man that sure sounds good. (Minus the latte for me... but still.)
Did it look like there had been a moat around it in times past?
we paid our modest entry fee of something like 9 E for me and 4.5 E for Anara. An absolute STEAL for what it is.
Not bad!
(Which explains the title of this chaper- ‘Xoanon’ refers to a simple wood carving especially Greek in origin. This art was decidedly NOT that.)
Of course. I'll probably use it in daily conversations with people from now on.
Beautiful!
So ornate!
He was, in fact, a bit emotional as he began to personally thank us for coming to the Puglia Region of Italy. He told us that not very many tourists come to this area, and he was very thankful to see people traveling there to see their unique lifestyle and see how beautiful it is there.
Awww... That's really nice. :)
I wondered how much more he appreciated it being that it was only a year after Covid wiped out their entire economy for 2 long years.
True. I bet there are a lot of places just like that.
the Arco Alto, the primary gate into the Old Town area to take a little rest.

Is that a photo of the Arco Alto?
Before I put my feet up, I enjoyed watching this lady making her pasta right outside our door.
1. So cool it was right outside your door.
2. So that's how they do it!
Look at those stone walls!!
Next up: The rest of our day and evening in Bari…
Can't wait! :)

Y is for: You’re Walking Too Fast Young One

I’m old. It’s official. The fuddy-duddy factor is real, and my body feels it. Especially when I’m up against an almost 21-year-old who has way more energy than I do. I mean, she’s not up all night with arthritic neck pain or a failing bladder. TMI? Heh. If you’re over 50, you know what I’m talking about. If you’re not, we’ll talk when you are. 😉

How did I get here?

All that to say, I'm slower in touring compared to the younger set these days. Which makes me all the more determined to get out and see what I can before I just can't anymore.

We last left off with both of us resting for a couple of hours. It definitely helped us be able to put more hours of touring in. It was time to hit the stone streets again. The stone streets will forever be a thing of “cool” to me; we just have so very, very little like that here in the U.S. Here is a map of the route we took for the remainder of our short time in Bari:

1686150139744.png

Our first stop was the Basilica Cattedrale Metropolitana Primaziale San Sabino. Say that 5 times fast. Compared to the cathedral in Florence, Bari’s is quite plain.

However, it does have something(s) that were wholly new to me- mummies and effigies. The only information I could find on the mummy of Saint Columba is from this website/blog- https://www.dpeck.info/italy/italy2011a.htm

Nevertheless, there is a bona fide mummy laying in full Renaissance clothing for your viewing pleasure. There were other unnamed effigies of presumed patrons or other important people of the church which, while very interesting to me, also was something altogether novel and curious to me.

Being this was a Sunday, it was no surprise that we happened upon Mass. Had we more time and fewer other things we wanted to see, we’d have stayed a little longer, but as it was it seemed to be just about ending as well, although I have no idea either. I don’t speak Italian and it could have been just a time for worshippers to be up and about for something I didn’t understand. I also think we might have been able to see some of the finer details of the cathedral itself. Because we couldn’t, here is another website that has some photos I wasn’t able to get (the marble mosaic of the Coat of Arms is particularly exquisite!):

https://fromplacetoplace.travel/italy/bari/cathedral-of-bari/

I did get a few ok photos:

We also didn’t even see the basement area excavations which bums me out as I write up this chapter. I had NO idea they were there and am sad to have missed them. ☹ Next time…

Next, we wandered to the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas, the one, the only, place where Santa Claus’ bones are buried. Well, most of them anyway. Legend has it that his remains were in peril due to the Muslims taking over the town of Myra, Turkey and someone had the foresight to remove them to friendlier firma in Bari. By then, Anara and I both felt like we’d seen enough cathedral for one day, but I did take note of the statue erected in his honor. We also thought the museum might be a bit cheesy for the price, so passed on that as well. Perhaps if I ever go back…

With only a general sense of direction, we walked towards what we thought would be the “lungomare”, or “seafront”. Luckily, we guessed correctly and ended up here:

And it was perfection! A few folks were out for an afternoon swim in the Adriatic Sea, while many others where relaxing on the seafront concrete wall soaking up the sun. We joined in and just chatted and people watched for an hour or so. It was incredibly refreshing to see very little trash and no graffiti ruining the space.

By the time we left the sun was getting low and we were getting hungry. I definitely wanted to try the local specialty of Orchietti and had picked a place out, a recommendation by our hostess at the Agriturismo we’d be at on the next day, but we came across one sooner that looked like it would be just fine. And it was!

The evening scene in Italy is so very different than here. The outdoor seating areas are packed full and so much later than here. The patio we chose was bustling and we ended up having to wait 10 or 15 minutes for a table. And they really crammed those table in too! Here in the States, there seems to be a LOT more room between parties, and while not a bad thing, it is quite different. Conversations with strangers is a common and normal thing there.

I ordered a glass of red wine and Anara ordered a limoncello which we sipped on while enjoying the complementary snicky-snacks the waiter brought out. Mmm, doughnut-shaped breadsticks and olives. Wonderful! I think the jetlag and long day were catching up to Anara as she was pretty quiet during the meal. Maybe she was just in the mood to people watch and take it all in.

I do know that I got an order of Orchietti Bolognese. OH. MY. HECK! I cannot rave about this amazing dish enough. It was so, so good with loads of parmesan and ground beef? veal? Yum!! Anara ordered the lasagna and loved it, but there was a small mix up and they brought out the wrong dish for her. Sadly, it came out after I was almost done eating so we each ate alone. Nevertheless, it was all tasty!

Totally stuffed, we slowly strolled back to our cozy brick hideaway, so quintessentially Italian, and had a great sleep before our next big adventure.

Last edited:
Ever been to a children’s museum? The ones that are a bit on the touchy-feely side? This was honestly a pretty neato place.
I love these types of museums. I don't have tons of patience for big ones!!

Congrats on passing your exam!

Bari looks like such a pretty place to visit, if a bit of travelling to get there!! Seems worth the trip!! I love the seaside pics.

If you’re over 50, you know what I’m talking about.
I am but don’t. I’m up for other reasons so it evens out.
How did I get here?
By being born over 50 years ago.
All that to say, I'm slower in touring compared to the younger set these days.
Not me! I dare any youngster to keep up with me when I’m in go mode.
Which makes me all the more determined to get out and see what I can before I just can't anymore.
Yes!
The stone streets will forever be a thing of “cool” to me; we just have so very, very little like that here in the U.S.
I love that too. Just so… old world.
Our first stop was the Basilica Cattedrale Metropolitana Primaziale San Sabino. Say that 5 times fast.
Basilica Cattedrale Metropolitana Primaziale San Sabino

No problemo

Compared to the cathedral in Florence, Bari’s is quite plain.
Compared to Florence’s, every cathedral is quite plain!
Nevertheless, there is a bona fide mummy laying in full Renaissance clothing for your viewing pleasure.
Hi mummy!
I don’t speak Italian and it could have been just a time for worshippers to be up and about for something I didn’t understand.
The holy sacrament of the tiddlywinks.
I did get a few ok photos:
I’d say more than just “okay”
Next, we wandered to the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas, the one, the only place where Santa Claus’ bones are buried. Well, most of them anyway.
::yes::
Luckily, we guessed correctly and ended up here:
Pretty!
It was incredibly refreshing to see very little trash and no graffiti ruining the space.
That should be the norm.
definitely wanted to try the local specialty of Orchietti
You have to!
Here in the States, there seems to be a LOT more room between parties, and while not a bad thing, it is quite different. Conversations with strangers is a common and normal thing there.
Hmmm. Mixed feelings on that. Think it works depends on my mood.
do know that I got an order of Orhietti Bolognese. OH. MY. HECK! I cannot rave about this amazing dish enough.
Glad it was so good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter