The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

By forgetting important stuff. Only so much room in the ol’ noggin’.
OH how I feel that pain.
They better!
I think pay should increase exponentially with your likelihood of getting shivved.
Agreed. The one drawback I hear from colleagues that worked there say that the one drawback was that there was no flexibility with time off. No thanks.
Yeah I’m guessing not working might have a slightly negative effect
It's.... tight. :( Actually am thinking of picking up some temp agency jobs in Tucson maybe once every other week or so.
I do the same. :)
I do buy a US text package when I’m there, but don’t know if that’s available for off-continent.
My TMobile plan covers all of N. America unlimited text and talk. Kinda like it for $30/month.
Plus by the time it gets to Canada, it’ll be cold.
And by Canada cold, you mean REALLY cold. Although, we'll be down to 1 deg next week.

TIME TO HEAD TO TUCSON!!!!
Good point.
But was the ship’s food as good???
Welllllll....
Huh. I don’t consider 10 years or so to be “a very, very long time”.
Oh, aren't you the flatterer.

That's awesome! Sounds like just rewards for a lot of hard work.
And there's still so much more to come. UGH!
Nice little getaway to my neck of the woods! Glad you could meet up with Mary Ellen and Denny. There are some really good places to eat in Annapolis.
I was holed away most of the time studying, but managed to have a little bit of fun. :) Not sure when I'll be up that way again, but if it's next Spring (the soonest it'll happen) I'll give a shout. It'd be fun to cook up a little get-together with Glenda, MEK, and maybe others who live nearby. :)
Always a wonderful bonus.
Always!
I like it! Almost like a hidden treasure.
It really was! I love finding those.
Holy cow, that is quite the spread! Looks amazing (and filling).
It was an obscene amount of food. And soooooooooo good!
I love this interaction. Wonderful that you could help him practice his English.
He was such a cutie pie. :)
Ha! Love the honesty, too.
He was actually very serious about it too.
This is so great. How cool would it be if you went back in 10-15 years and met up again?
I'd love to see if he takes over the family business.

The airbnb place looked nice. I'm not sure I spent more than an afternoon in Venice on our way down the coast to eventually get to Rome.

I remember liking the food a lot in Italy, but I'm not sure we ate at very authentic places. The two young men I was traveling with had very limited palates, and it was 35 years ago. I don't remember a lot.

I may have starved at the place you went. The first batch of food looked good though.

Something I'm learning more about than I want to all the time... :faint:
OH dear! Hope everything's ok, Andy! :(
I can relate
It's a struggle lately. Hopefully next term will be a little bit better.
There's a lot of life that happened in there. Gotta give credit for sticking it out and making it happen!
He really pushed through and adulted with this one.
That's really great! I know how much you value the people you meet and interact with. This must be high on the list!
I really loved the interactions I had with not just that family but also all of our tour guides and even some we met on the ship.

OK. I'm jumping in, but won't have much in the way of comments.

However on the subject of boarding since we now fly Southwest exclusively, I want to be on that plane first so I can pick my seats. Luckily with Fran and preboarding we can do that.

Glad you all made it Covid free. We'll see when I can get back and read the second chapter.
Well, welcome aboard, Alison!! Missed you around here. Then again, I'm a bit scarce myself right now. I sure hope that I can be around the DIS a bit more next term. But this one is just pretty rough.

I think I'm going to amend my previous thoughts on boarding. I really think that it depends on how LONG the flight is too. If it's a super long flight (5+ hours) I want an aisle or the exit row. Cuz, a girl's gotta pee. If it's short, I don't care at all where I sit and have zero rush to get on that cramped gross plane. LOL!

The airbnb place looked nice. I'm not sure I spent more than an afternoon in Venice on our way down the coast to eventually get to Rome.

I remember liking the food a lot in Italy, but I'm not sure we ate at very authentic places. The two young men I was traveling with had very limited palates, and it was 35 years ago. I don't remember a lot.

I may have starved at the place you went. The first batch of food looked good though.
It was definitely one of the better ones, but an even better one is coming up quite a bit later in the trip. :) I'm glad I had a few days in Venice as there's so much to see! It's pretty fun just wandering around, but loads of museums too. I don't remember much about my first trip to Venice either. Lots of alcohol-fuzzy memories. This time I went with a lot more maturity and appreciation. So much better!!

I came back over to the Trip Reports and found this, I was staying away because I couldn't bear seeing pictures from anywhere. Something you can sympathize with, my external hard drive with ALL of my pictures crashed. I found a place that can repair them but at a hefty price and no guarantees that I will get more than 60% of them back. Thankfully I do have them on memory cards and CD's but it took me 3+ years to organize them and I will have to start over.

I love the pictures. This is a dream trip one day, hopefully. My husband is not up to travelling like this anymore. When we went on our Alaskan cruise in July I needed a vacation when we came home (I did go to Disney solo in October at his insistence), so I totally get travelling with your parents. While he was pushed around in a wheelchair I had to deal with 3 suitcases, one was just all his medical supplies, 2 carry-ons (1 was just his medications) and a backpack plus his walker. I felt like a pack mule. I am hoping that when my granddaughter graduates from college in a couple of years and has earned some money we can take a trip like this. She really wants to travel beyond Disney.

I know MEK although I have never had the privilege to meet her in person. We are friends in Facebook though and I seem to remember her mentioning meeting you recently (that could be in the last year in my world).

OH dear! Hope everything's ok, Andy! :(
Relatively ok… I had Covid in Nov 2020 and when I started resuming what was at the time my normal workout schedule afterwards I was getting light headed and even passed out a couple of times. It’s been 2 years now trying to figure out what’s “cause” and what’s “effect” but long story short, I have issues with afib and am being treated for heart failure. And getting meds balanced to make me feel like myself and get some energy back has been an ongoing battle. I’ve been to 3 different cardiologists (in the same office) who have all had wildly differing opinions on what I should be taking.

I came back over to the Trip Reports and found this, I was staying away because I couldn't bear seeing pictures from anywhere. Something you can sympathize with, my external hard drive with ALL of my pictures crashed. I found a place that can repair them but at a hefty price and no guarantees that I will get more than 60% of them back. Thankfully I do have them on memory cards and CD's but it took me 3+ years to organize them and I will have to start over.
I'm so glad you found me! I sooo get this horrible situation you had. I've lost all of my photos at points here and there (my phone took a swim in the FL Keys and I hadn't backed it up) I'm so sorry you are dealing with that. :(
I love the pictures. This is a dream trip one day, hopefully. My husband is not up to travelling like this anymore. When we went on our Alaskan cruise in July I needed a vacation when we came home (I did go to Disney solo in October at his insistence), so I totally get travelling with your parents. While he was pushed around in a wheelchair I had to deal with 3 suitcases, one was just all his medical supplies, 2 carry-ons (1 was just his medications) and a backpack plus his walker. I felt like a pack mule. I am hoping that when my granddaughter graduates from college in a couple of years and has earned some money we can take a trip like this. She really wants to travel beyond Disney.
Traveling with adult kids is awesome! I super hope you get to do this someday soon. Traveling can be hard enough as it is (but 100% worth it!) , but with mobility issues, it's even harder!
I know MEK although I have never had the privilege to meet her in person. We are friends in Facebook though and I seem to remember her mentioning meeting you recently (that could be in the last year in my world).
She's such a sweetie. :) She was probably the person who gave me the final shove to take the plunge to go for my NP degree. Gots to love friends like that! Yes, I was up in the Baltimore area to visit my son and his family. Was able to sneak off for a quick visit to Anapolis for lunch with her and Denny. It was nice to get away from these books for a few hours off.

Relatively ok… I had Covid in Nov 2020 and when I started resuming what was at the time my normal workout schedule afterwards I was getting light headed and even passed out a couple of times. It’s been 2 years now trying to figure out what’s “cause” and what’s “effect” but long story short, I have issues with afib and am being treated for heart failure. And getting meds balanced to make me feel like myself and get some energy back has been an ongoing battle. I’ve been to 3 different cardiologists (in the same office) who have all had wildly differing opinions on what I should be taking.
OH man!!!! I wonder if the C19 caused some cardiac remodeling which led to the HF. They now know it's primarily a cardiac illness, rather than a pulmonary one. Dang, Andy, that sucks so bad! I could take some wild stabs in the dark at what you might have tried or are on at this point. Honestly, from a book learning perspective, it's been fascinating and I can't wait to put all of it into practice in a year or so!! I do know cardiology treatment is often based on patient responses rather than a "formula" so what might have worked for one cardiologist and "most" of his/her patients, another may have gotten good results with regimens. Keep us posted and PM if you have questions. I can't advise, but can share what I'm learning. :)

OH how I feel that pain.
Uh, oh!
Agreed. The one drawback I hear from colleagues that worked there say that the one drawback was that there was no flexibility with time off. No thanks.
That's worse than getting shivved???

Hmmm... maybe it is.
Actually am thinking of picking up some temp agency jobs in Tucson maybe once every other week or so.
Good luck!
My TMobile plan covers all of N. America unlimited text and talk. Kinda like it for $30/month.
Nice. Mine is only good in Canada.
And by Canada cold, you mean REALLY cold.
::yes::
Although, we'll be down to 1 deg next week.
That's pretty cold. :cold:
TIME TO HEAD TO TUCSON!!!!
Oh, aren't you the flatterer.
Nah. Just calls 'em as I sees 'em.
Sorry to hear about that Andy. Take care of yourself.

Dude! That sounds really scary. Hope you can get the right treatment and get it under control.

Hi Liesa, I'm finally getting caught back up.

Your adventures are so interesting. I love the time you put into each chapter. I don't always read the links but just the chapters are so informative, I feel like I'm there. Your pictures are always fabulous too.

Your meal in Greece has me craving some Chicken Swarmer and salad. I did have some humus at lunch before I even read this.

Looking forward to more.

G is for: Going Up, Going Down, Going Back Up, Going Back Down…. Good Times in Santorini!

The next morning was another glorious, sunshiny day of perfect Mediterranean weather, soft breezes, blue skies, and even bluer seas. Our ship was safely anchored in the caldera of Santorini with its towering rocky rim surrounding us 270 degrees.

Two other large ships joined us which didn’t bode well for touron-free exploring. Never fear, Dear Reader, we had a well-thought out escape plan ready to throw into action. Let’s see how the Experts handle an overly touristy, people-clogged desitination!

First, the Experts employ the Rope Drop strategy. We were already in line for a tender when they announced the All-Clear. Obviously, we couldn’t just walk off the ship as entertaining and soggy as that might be.

The plan was to once again forego the pricey, ship-sponsored transfer to Oia (pronounced EE-UH) and make our own way there via taxi. But first we had to get TO a taxi.

1671590906319.png

The tender ride was uneventful and smooth and the port area was easy to navigate and find our way to the cable car that would hoist us and 4,000 of our closest friends up the caldera rim to where 99% of Santorini’s “stuff” was. If you guessed that we’d visit the other 1%, you’d be right, but I’ll get to that.

Anyway, the cable car was super cheap at $3 pp each way and can move 1,200 people in an hour. That’s a LOT more people and probably faster than the poor donkeys that have to haul some really heavy folks up the hill for about 20 times that cost and 10 times the time. We could have hiked up the switchback trail. No thank you. We were up the hill within 30 minutes from ticket purchase to finding out where 4,000 people were hanging out. Enjoy this short video of the partial ride up. I video'd again on the way back down later.

Now, let me paint a picture for you, Friends…

The streets of the area just above the port where the cable car dumps its passengers out is a maze of $hitshops where you can find any manner of ceramic crap, cheesy dish towels, bottle openers, fridge magnets, and polyester clothing made in a thousand sweatshops in China. The streets are narrow with porters trying in vain to haul luggage past the stenosis of human traffic. Everyone stops without warning to “get that perfect shot” or find that perfect piece of junk to fill their suitcase with giving no regard to who’s behind them making the jammed-up mess 1,000 times worse. This, Folks, is the place to run away from as fast as you can possibly navigate out of. Which is not fast. At all. (Who am I kidding? I can't run.)

With some effort, the 4 of us finally did make it to the place we could hail a taxi, and for $40 (as opposed to $40 pp for the ship’s transfer to Oia. This was Expert Move #2) for the carful we were taken to Oia- a 30-minute mostly non-nausea-inducing trek across some pretty bleak landscape. Let me be clear, like most other places in the world, driving does not mean the same thing as in N. America. If you can simply avoid going off the caldera's rim, you are doing great in Santorini. Yeeeehaw!

We were then introduced to an even more elbow-to-elbow situation; Fira (the village above the port) had NOTHING on Oia for tourist impaction. However, there were some very nice views, some shops that housed some less junky-looking stuff, and a LOT of incredibly over-priced restaurants. I mean, sure, you got a spectacular view, that I’m sure was exquisite at sunset, but the food looked like the same being served 2 blocks over sans view or sunset.

The first place we decided to stop and take a peek in was a church. Don’t ask me which one, there are approximately 4,593 little churches on every island in Greece and they all pretty much approximate each other with loads of gold-leafed icons, paintings of the Madonna with Child sporting golden halos, golden chandeliers, censers, ornate carved furniture, candles galore. It’s all stunning and one could stand in a Greek Orthodox church for quite a while admiring the workmanship of the crafters. We never failed to be impressed with the sheer plethora of items to take in. I think even for those who, for whatever reason don’t agree with or appreciate the tenets, it would be sad to not at least be able to appreciate the artistry therein and the talent poured into the place- even for the history aspect alone. We left a little richer for having a had a short time of reflection and a deeper admiration for the past and these people.

At this point, the four of us split up, agreeing to meet up for lunch at our pre-determined location. Which leads me to Expert Strategy #3- Ditch the Crowd!

Mikki and I wandered through the streets, none of which were easy to navigate due to masses of tourists. We stopped now and then for “that perfect shot” just like everyone else but, because there were so many doing the same thing, no one got a perfect shot; everyone was reduced to the lowest common denominator.

(I like this one though.)

Neither of us is really a shopper, so nothing enticed us to stop and take a second look. Instead, we found ourselves on the steep, zigzagging trail down to Amoudi Bay, home to several fish tavernas, a small fleet of cute little fishing boats and clear, blue water for pictures.

It was on this half-hour hike down that I realized I am helplessly lazy and incredibly out of shape. I nearly burst a lung and my thighs burned with the effort of aerobic exercise. Sad, but true. I was sore the next day (and the next), but it was NOTHING compared to after climbing the Duomo Bell Tower later in Florence. Nevertheless, we made it down the rim to Amoudi just below the town of Oia. Real experts would train before attempting this, so clearly I’m an imposter. Or only an Expert in some things.

(My beautiful daughter)

(Not my beautiful daughter.)

Honestly, we couldn’t have been happier though. There were hardly ANY people down there at all, mostly because cruisers tend to be on the older side and don’t venture out off the beaten path like that much. (Yes, I’m generalizing, don’t skewer me.) We diddled around a little and took some photos down by the water, and I learned the hard way that I’m not only out of shape but not 20-something anymore either and can’t climb up and over rock walls very well anymore. I bunged up my knee and arm which sported giant bruises for the remainder of the trip all for the sake of a selfie. What a dumba…. Scathed we decided to start our hunt for the perfect lunch spot.

I’ll leave off here and pick it up next time with Lunch on the Bay. Until then, Merry Christmas Y’all!!

Last edited:
The next morning was another glorious, sunshiny day of perfect Mediterranean weather, soft breezes, blue skies, and even bluer seas.
Your photos are stunning. Nary a cloud in the skies.
Two other large ships joined us which didn’t bode well for touron-free exploring.
Where's a good pirate ship when you need one?
Never fear, Dear Reader, we had a well-thought out escape plan ready to throw into action.
Ah! You hired a pirate ship!

No?
Obviously, we couldn’t just walk off the ship as entertaining and soggy as that might be.
:laughing: I had this image in my head of the four of you standing on shore, dripping wet like drowned rats.
The tender ride was uneventful and smooth
A slight improvement over your last tender ride?

:rolleyes:
the funicular (Isn’t that the most divine word, ever?! It’s just freaking fun to say; like a disease and mood all in one!!
:laughing: It is! I wonder what the disease (and mood!) is?

I did send you a PM about it, though.
the poor donkeys that have to haul some really heavy folks up the hill for about 20 times that cost and 10 times the time.
I know my parents rode them when they visited about 40 years ago. They never mentioned any alternative modes of transport to the rim.

Enjoy this short video of the partial ride up.
The best part of that video is the unintended commentary.
Over-protective partner: "He doesn't like heights either... don't look out the window Michael."
Michael: "Why not?"

I am left with the unanswered question if Michael was puzzled at her concern or... passed out.

The streets of the area just above the port where the Funicular dumps its passengers out is a maze of $hitshops where you can find any manner of ceramic crap, cheesy dish towels, bottle openers, fridge magnets, and polyester clothing made in a thousand sweatshops in China.
Sounds... lovely.

not
The streets are narrow with porters trying in vain to haul luggage
Luggage? Are there accommodations up there? That'd be cool!
past the stenosis of human traffic.
Had to look "stenosis" up... Great word to describe it!
Everyone stops without warning to “get that perfect shot” or find that perfect piece of junk to fill their suitcase with giving no regard to who’s behind them
So... you're saying Santorini is exactly like WDW.
This, Folks, is the place to run away from as fast as you can possibly navigate out of. Which is not fast. At all. (Who am I kidding? I can't run.)
:laughing:
the 4 of us finally did make it to the place we could hail a taxi, and for $40 (as opposed to $40 pp for the ship’s transfer to Oia. This was Expert Move #2)
:thumbsup2 Definitely an expert move.
You saved $120 which you can now spend on any manner of ceramic crap, cheesy dish towels, bottle openers, fridge magnets, and polyester clothing made in a thousand sweatshops in China.
If you can simply avoid going off the caldera's rim, you are doing great in Santorini. Yeeeehaw!
I'm not sure whether to :scared: or :lmao:
These two shots alone are amazing. Santorini has been on my bucket list for a long time (about 40 years... when my parents went and described it to me.)
Shots like that just reinforce why I need to go.
I think even for those who, for whatever reason don’t agree with or appreciate the tenets, it would be sad to not at least be able to appreciate the artistry therein and the talent poured into the place- even for the history aspect alone.
Absolutely! I mean... I've been in other buildings where I've not shared the same ideals or viewpoints or what have you of the occupants/architect... but that hasn't prevented me from admiring them.
IMG_E6234-2-L.jpg
Beautiful!
Which leads me to Expert Strategy #3- Ditch the Crowd!
:laughing: I first read that as "Ditch the parents!"
We stopped now and then for “that perfect shot” just like everyone else but, because there were so many doing the same thing, no one got a perfect shot; everyone was reduced to the lowest common denominator.

I dunno... If these are the "lowest common denominator"... I can't even imagine how jaw-droppingly stunning the better views are!!

:faint:
It was on this half-hour hike down that I realized I am helplessly lazy and incredibly out of shape. I nearly burst a lung and my thighs burned with the effort of aerobic exercise. Sad, but true. I was sore the next day (and the next)
Uh, oh!
You need to get yourself one of them donkeys.
clearly I’m an imposter. Or only an Expert in some things.
:laughing:
(Not my beautiful daughter.)
:rotfl:
There were hardly ANY people down there at all, mostly because cruisers tend to be on the older side and don’t venture out off the beaten path like that much.
Excuse me? This is generalizing! How dare you!?!?
(Yes, I’m generalizing, don’t skewer me.)
Oh. Okay, then. Nevermind. Disregard previous comment.
I bunged up my knee and arm which sported giant bruises for the remainder of the trip all for the sake of a selfie.
:scared:
And... you didn't post the selfie! Or were you too busy grimacing in pain to get one?
Until then, Merry Christmas Y’all!!
Same to you!

I finally figured out that this was a new trip report that had recently started, not a two-year-old trip that was finished. :)

Your trip looks like it was amazing. :)

Your first two days of getting from Nashville to the cruise ship sounds like a very stressful deal. I was picturing your race through the train station trying to get mom and luggage on a train before it pulled out of the station. You were incredibly lucky more than once on that trip. :) Lost luggage and/or delayed flights would have been disastrous. My sister went on a cruise to Croatia in July and their luggage was lost and their flight landed in a different city than booked. It was a nightmare.

Going Up, Going Down, Going Back Up, Going Back Down
Sounds like you're sharing the cheat code for your favorite Nintendo game or something.
irst, the Experts employ the Rope Drop strategy.
The streets of the area just above the port where the cable car dumps its passengers out is a maze of $hitshops where you can find any manner of ceramic crap, cheesy dish towels, bottle openers, fridge magnets, and polyester clothing made in a thousand sweatshops in China.
Where there are tourists...
(I like this one though.)
::yes:: Looks like something you'd see on a poster in a travel agency or something!
I bunged up my knee and arm which sported giant bruises for the remainder of the trip all for the sake of a selfie.
Selfies only lead to bad things happening. I think that's a proven fact.
Merry Christmas Y’all!!
Merry Christmas!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter