The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

Glad you did. I went back to look. Looks delicious!
The lemon cake was my favorite! It wasn't too sweet so worked for breakfast with coffee just perfectly!
Like two sheep that pass in the night. 🐑 🐑
Baaaa!!!
Really? That's both surprising and a shame.
It truly is. I see the absolutely devastating effects of smoking daily at work. Bladder cancer, colon cancer, COPD, not to mention lung cancer- all day long and more. So sad. We can't prevent everything, but we sure can reduce by a LOT!

I'm so behind, but really enjoyed my catch-up reading this morning! BIG YAY for passing your exam. I'm so impressed, but not surprised!!!!

Leaving us hanging on that delicious looking pizza has made me SO hungry!!!
Thank you, Jackie! It's been a while since I"ve seen you here and started to wonder if you were still on the boards. :) Glad you checked in. I have such little free time right now with both work AND school, but try to keep plugging away at this report.

Oh that pizza!!! At least we had ONE good meal that day! ;)

We didn’t really have a walking tour to follow for this day
Ah. So you decided to join a tour instead of just follow one?
Sheesh. Pay the money next time!

:rolleyes:
the best we could do was load a destination and then hope the navigation wasn’t interrupted along the way.
Oh, yes. I'm very familiar with that method. Do it all the time when I'm in your country. Works about half the time... maybe less.

Maybe a lot less.
Meanwhile, landmarks like this one became important beacons that helped lead us home:
That's why it was built.
"You know, Guiseppe. We should build a tall tower so when people are lost, they have something to find their way, with........ And put a bell in it just to be annoying."
Yes, these are all handmade with original materials like clay, foam putty, sticks, moss, paint, you name it!
Impressive.
The more I saw, the more I became a bit sad that I didn’t know about this or have the means to take even a small one home.
I've done that a few times. Sometimes at the time, but mostly later. "Why didn't I buy that?" Alas, too late.
IMG_7162-2-L.jpg
Whoa! That's incredible! I had no idea. I just assumed it would be your standard Nativity Scene
Wow!
At first glance I thought "Why is she showing us this vendor? Something he's selling?" Only a second look showed that he wasn't real.
That's really something!
(Venetian glass anyone?)
Yes please!
we didn’t know it at the time and didn’t spend a ton of time in there, it offered tours of the museum in the basement. Once again, it was a “had we known…”.
Shoot. Bet it would've been interesting.
"What do you want to do today Bartholomew?"
"Oh, I don't know Maximilus, perhaps overthrowing a small village?"
"We did that yesterday. Couldn't we go sailing and discover a new land?"
"I'm really not up to it today. I'm feeling a bit like a nap might be in order."
"Quite right. Nap it is."
That's really something. Looks like a pirate's flag!
Holy crap!

:worship:
Love that staircase. Not surprised it's one of your favourites.
Kinda like this candid little shot of a slice of Italian life. :)
I mean what’s a fountain with Neptune and sea creatures without the water?! This fountain is undeniably the most well-known in Naples and I am glad I could at least see it.
Yeah... I mean the whole point... the whole raison d'etre of a fountain is to have water in it!
there was a McDonalds very close. But we ended up with neither sustenance OR internet.
You didn't at least load up your map?

Oopsie.
the chicken sandwich that Anara tired to order ended up as this:

IMG_7180-M.jpg
Sure. Totally looks like a chicken sandwich with tomato and lettuce. The chicken wasn't cooked so it got up, ate the bun, and left.
Anara couldn’t hold it back any longer- she cried.
:(
Oh dear. I would imagine your heart just fell at that. :(
You always always want your kids to be happy and when they aren't, it's just soul crushing.
We both ordered an Italian bitter cocktail. More bitter than we were perhaps.
Yikes.
It was getting cold, we were in unfamiliar territory, and we had an uneasy feeling about the area of town we were in. Honestly, I have no idea how we even ended up back into familiar places, but we found the neighborhood of precepi, and from there we eventually groped out way home.
:scared:
We were both a bit grumpy, beyond tired, and had a hugely long day ahead of us in the morning. Every vacation is going to have some bumps in the road. I expect that; not everything will go as planned, even if planned perfectly. This was certainly a minor bump in the road, but tomorrow would be another day to try again.
Hopefully tomorrow will be better... but the day sounds like it was fairly good. Just the evening and evening meal?
If only our apartment had been a quiet one where we could get a great night’s sleep!
:headache:

:laughing:
It truly is. I see the absolutely devastating effects of smoking daily at work. Bladder cancer, colon cancer, COPD, not to mention lung cancer- all day long and more. So sad. We can't prevent everything, but we sure can reduce by a LOT!
:sad2:
And young people (some... not all), just aren't learning. Ah well... I was invincible at that age too, once.

The variety was astonishing! Every life situation imaginable was created, from various types of shops, churches, nativities, seaside fish docks, markets,… It would have been incredibly difficult to choose one to purchase even if I could have!
Those were amazing. I can't believe the detail in them. They look very fragile. I would think that it would be difficult to get them home in good condition.
We’d walked a long way and had no idea where we were. We aimlessly wandered and walked for what seemed like forever.
I hope that this was your worst day of the entire trip, since it sounds pretty disheartening to me.

My son and I were lost in Chicago, trying to find the parking garage we had used. It only took us 45 minutes of wandering around with no one seeming to give us helpful information. I can't imagine what it would be like to be lost in Italy.

Oh, yes. I'm very familiar with that method. Do it all the time when I'm in your country. Works about half the time... maybe less.

Maybe a lot less.
It didn't work about 95% of the time which made for some extremely frustrating touring at times. One of the problems with electronics there is that: 1) The cell phone shops are very few and far between there. Here they are as ubiquitous as pizzerias there, and 2) Finding one is tough as getting directions to one proved nearly impossible on several occasions. Prior to this evening, I DID try with no luck.
That's why it was built.
"You know, Guiseppe. We should build a tall tower so when people are lost, they have something to find their way, with........ And put a bell in it just to be annoying."
You may be onto something there!
I've done that a few times. Sometimes at the time, but mostly later. "Why didn't I buy that?" Alas, too late.
I missed out on a couple of souvies on this trip; I'd have liked a piece of glass from Venice and a Lambo from Bologna.
Whoa! That's incredible! I had no idea. I just assumed it would be your standard Nativity Scene
Nope, they are incredibly detailed and go on for blocks and blocks!!
Wow!
At first glance I thought "Why is she showing us this vendor? Something he's selling?" Only a second look showed that he wasn't real.
That's really something!
... and realistic looking too. But you know what they reminded me of a bit?

A scene from Pirates. :) Most depict the same older style of clothing and Old World look.
"What do you want to do today Bartholomew?"
"Oh, I don't know Maximilus, perhaps overthrowing a small village?"
"We did that yesterday. Couldn't we go sailing and discover a new land?"
"I'm really not up to it today. I'm feeling a bit like a nap might be in order."
"Quite right. Nap it is."
:lmao:
That's really something. Looks like a pirate's flag!
Yes!!! It totally does!
Holy crap!

:worship:
Right?! The details never ceased to blow me away!
Love that staircase. Not surprised it's one of your favourites.
It super made for a really nice B&W. Those subjects are harder to find for me.
Kinda like this candid little shot of a slice of Italian life. :)
I typically don't love people in my photos, but I think this one worked for bringing a bit of "life" to the trip.
Yeah... I mean the whole point... the whole raison d'etre of a fountain is to have water in it!
Correct! I just didn't understand- maybe just too much manpower to maintain? No idea.
You didn't at least load up your map?

Oopsie.
No....

We couldn't connect to the internet at this place. It kept asking for my phone number so they could send a verification text/link. But the new SIM was in and I had ZERO idea of what the Italian number was. So I was out of luck completely.
Sure. Totally looks like a chicken sandwich with tomato and lettuce. The chicken wasn't cooked so it got up, ate the bun, and left.
LOL!!! That's as good a guess as any. Methinks it was a case of "Here comes some dumb Americans; let's take advantage and get rid of all this leftover lettuce".
Oh dear. I would imagine your heart just fell at that. :(
You always always want your kids to be happy and when they aren't, it's just soul crushing.
I think she knows that every travel will have its ups and downs as well, but to see her (tbh, both of us) get to the end of the rope was tough. We needed a dip back into "home" and a break.
Hopefully tomorrow will be better... but the day sounds like it.. was fairly good. Just the evening and evening meal?
It was. You'll see as we trek to Pompei....

Those were amazing. I can't believe the detail in them. They look very fragile. I would think that it would be difficult to get them home in good condition.

I hope that this was your worst day of the entire trip, since it sounds pretty disheartening to me.

My son and I were lost in Chicago, trying to find the parking garage we had used. It only took us 45 minutes of wandering around with no one seeming to give us helpful information. I can't imagine what it would be like to be lost in Italy.
They must take weeks, or even months to make!! Crazy how detailed they are!! And I think you're right. Short of a box with peanuts... maybe... I have a feeling they'd not do well.

I think it was probably the lowest point. So now that's behind us...

OH dear!! Chicago is huge and easy to get turned around in for sure. Glad you found your way eventually!

Yay 😀 on passing your latest exam! :cheer2:
The pizza looks lovely.
I am enjoying all your adventures
Thanks for sticking with me, Caroline! I've got a year left, but think the time will fly by since I'll be back in Arizona for some, overseas again for some, then onto Clinicals! YAY!!!

E is for: Escape to Earth-Swallowed Treasures

The Precepi Sellers were up bright and early clattering away in the alley; early morning coffee was no doubt hastily sipped as their wares were carefully arranged on makeshift tables. By 7:30 we were up and out as well to get our day of touring started.

IMG_7182-2-L.jpg

(A stand that hadn't gotten set up yet, but you can see the backdrop. This was RIGHT outside our door.)

But first coffee!

Always.

IMG_7184-2-L.jpg

My ridiculous amount of obsessive research paid off as we made our way to the Porta Novana rail station- the originating station for the Circumvesuviana Line that would take us to the Pompeii station, a mere 45-minute scenic ride with the mighty Mt. Vesuvius looming to the portside of the rails.

Many of the trip bloggers that I’d read gave the exceptionally great piece of advice that boarding at the Porta Novana would save a lot of headache and almost certainly guarantee a seat for the journey. If you board at the Main Rail Station, one stop up, you’d likely have to stand for the trip. No thanks. Plus, the Porto Novana station was a quick 7-minute walk from our Airbnb.

We easily bought our roundtrip tickets which were only about $12 each then quickly found our platform. Easy-peasy!! There are many trains a day to and from Pompeii’s Archeological Site station so even if we’d dawdled things would be ok. But as they say, the early bird gets the worm AND the best photos AND the best lighting.

Soon enough, this ratchet looking train that looks like it came straight out of the LA ghetto rolls up. We were far from the only tourists laughing. Yes, out loud. How could this thing even be rolling?!

IMG_7288-M.jpg

IMG_7289-M.jpg

We hopped on and found the seats we wanted (being the first to board is bomb!) and settled in. I tried to take photos but gave up as we all know how photos from a moving vehicle’s windows turn out. But imagine, if you will, an industrial seaport with ships and containers to the right, and a HUGE active volcano (currently sitting atop a deep magma layer- they say it’s overdue, so when it goes, it’s not gonna be pretty!) ahead and always to the left.

Hopping off, it was time to find the ticket office. It wasn’t hard, we followed the crowd. We were so efficient with our day that the ticket office wasn’t even open yet. So, we waited; but not long. 15 minutes later, with ease, we got our tickets- E16 for me and E2 for Anara. Woot! Time to see the treasures of the distant past.

We did not buy or join a guided tour, but it would have been nice to have had a little brochure or self-guided tour.

Oh wait!! We did! 😉

I’d downloaded Rick Steve’s walk though Pompeii audioguide and used it for the first bit of our time there. But honestly after a while, I gave up and just enjoyed the wandering and relied on the “sort-of-adequate” signage. That would have been my one complaint about the site- there needed to be more signage and explanation. Although I also get that they want to keep it preserved well without the distraction of “extra” stuff. Anyway, what we did learn from the guided audio tour was super helpful and I’d absolutely recommend downloading it to use.

IMG_7197-2-L.jpg

I won’t go into a huge ton of detail, but some of the highlights were the Grand Entrance Promenade, the temple, the statue of the Centaur, the Brothel, the baths, and the fast-food restaurants.

Let’s explore!!!

IMG_7186-2-L.jpg

One of the first places we ended up in was the Temple of Jupiter. This was a very busy place with daily activities – it was described as more of a civic meeting hall than an actual sanctuary.

IMG_7193-2-L.jpg

IMG_7192-2-L.jpg

Pompeii is chockful of partially standing homes with intact fireplaces. Row after row of dwellings were open for exploring. But Visitor beware! Many parts of the historical site will randomly close which happened later in our day. But we got our fill and enjoyed scenes like this:

IMG_7187-2-L.jpg

IMG_7188-2-L.jpg

IMG_7191-2-L.jpg

(Mt. Vesuvius towers in the distance)
IMG_7196-2-L.jpg

IMG_7203-2-L.jpg

I thought the Centaur was a super cool statue; it was massive and towered at around 30 feet or so.

IMG_7199-2-L.jpg

The mosaic floors of any archeological site make my heart race a little, so here’s a little collection of the intricate tilework unearthed at Pompeii. More detailed than I’d seen on the Island of Delos or at Ephesus.

IMG_7204-2-L.jpg

IMG_7205-3-L.jpg

IMG_7207-2-L.jpg

IMG_7208-2-L.jpg

IMG_7240-2-L.jpg

Many of the frescoes have succumbed to the ravages of time, but many are still there albeit faded from the Italian sun and weather. Those that remain are protected either with makeshift shade or covered with plexiglass. Those that are inside homes or public places are in the best condition and a marvel to see.

IMG_7217-2-L.jpg

IMG_7222-2-L.jpg

IMG_7230-2-L.jpg

Speaking of the hot, Italian sun, it was amazing that water was available for the taking, and man, it was sure appreciated!!! I'm kinda in love with this shot!!

IMG_7237-2-L.jpg

The most well-known, and certainly most poignant, antiquities are the plaster casts of the people whose lives were changed in a matter of minutes. They certainly give one a cause to stop and contemplate the frailty of life and the opportunity to be thankful for each day we have.

IMG_7219-2-L.jpg

Further into the center of the town we found the Brothel and the Baths. Let’s just say that the frescoes on the walls of the brothel were… graphic. At this point, the tour groups were becoming a nuisance and clogging up the touring which made things at times annoying. However, I took the opportunity to listen in for a few moments at one in there and learned that the paintings presented a sort of “menu” for the patrons. I imagine life was much shorter with the cooties that must’ve been passed around. I’m not sure what would have been worse: neurologic syphilis or lead poisoning. Suffice to say, I can’t post the photos, but they are easily google-able should you have the need to see them.

IMG_7228-2-L.jpg

(One of the central baths)

Before we left the Central area, we learned about the “fast-food stands” that were all over Pompeii at the time. Each pot would have contained hot water with another pot of food immersed inside to keep the foot warm. I found this fascinating!

IMG_7236-2-L.jpg

IMG_7241-2-L.jpg

(Kind of like double boilers)

It blew my mind that the chariot tracks were visible on just about every street. This was the best example of them that I was able to manage to get.

IMG_7231-L.jpg

These photos only cover about half of our day, so I will pick it up again next time and I think I have a better photo of the “crosswalks” that are absolutely ingenious that accommodated both pedestrian and chariot.

Random photos:

IMG_7201-4-L.jpg

IMG_7206-3-L.jpg

IMG_7216-2-L.jpg

IMG_7233-2-L.jpg

IMG_7210-2-L.jpg

Until next time!! Have a wonderful week, Friends!

Last edited:
Here they are as ubiquitous as pizzerias there
:laughing:
I'd have liked a piece of glass from Venice and a Lambo from Bologna.
Yes, I'd have liked to get some glass from....

Wait...

Lambo?????
1695021039619.png

... and realistic looking too. But you know what they reminded me of a bit?

A scene from Pirates. :) Most depict the same older style of clothing and Old World look.
Yes! I had the same thought!
It super made for a really nice B&W. Those subjects are harder to find for me.
Some subjects just scream B&W... many don't.
I typically don't love people in my photos
I have noticed that. ::yes::
We couldn't connect to the internet at this place. It kept asking for my phone number so they could send a verification text/link. But the new SIM was in and I had ZERO idea of what the Italian number was. So I was out of luck completely.
ohhhh...
LOL!!! That's as good a guess as any. Methinks it was a case of "Here comes some dumb Americans; let's take advantage and get rid of all this leftover lettuce".
I'm pretty sure that's happened a few times.

(A stand that hadn't gotten set up yet, but you can see the backdrop. This was RIGHT outside our door.)
Ugh. no wonder it was noisy.
But first coffee!

Always.
:sad2: You and your coffee. :laughing:
Nice shot with the B&W. :)
the originating station for the Circumvesuviana Line
The circum-what?!?!?

Oh... circumvesuviana... You get off a little bit before the head of the line.
the mighty Mt. Vesuvius looming to the portside of the rails.
Yeah... I must admit that might make me nervous a bit. I know, I know, the odds of it blowing just as I arrive compared to any other day are pretty darned remote... but tell that to all those people who were in Pompeii and Herculaneum the last time it blew.
Wouldn't stop me from visiting (Pompeii being on my bucket list), but I'm pretty sure I'd glance up at the mountain a time or two.
But as they say, the early bird gets the worm AND the best photos AND the best lighting.
::yes:: Rope drop strategy for the win.
Soon enough, this ratchet looking train that looks like it came straight out of the LA ghetto rolls up.
:lmao:
currently sitting atop a deep magma layer- they say it’s overdue, so when it goes, it’s not gonna be pretty!
See? Any day now.
I’d downloaded Rick Steve’s walk though Pompeii audioguide and used it for the first bit of our time there.
Ah! Smart move. Don't think I'd have thought of that.
That would have been my one complaint about the site- there needed to be more signage and explanation.
There were signs. But they were all ornately carved wood... which burned up during the eruption.

Doesn't matter, they were all in Latin anyways.
some of the highlights were the Grand Entrance Promenade, the temple, the statue of the Centaur, the Brothel
hello!
the baths, and the fast-food restaurants.
So... When I originally quoted this, I was going to insert a laughing emoji as I thought you were being funny.
Imagine my surprise to find that you were serious!
Like this one with the person at the far end. Without that, it wouldn't be nearly as compelling, IMHO.
(Mt. Vesuvius towers in the distance)
Thanks for pointing it out. I scrolled right past, being more intent on the ruins than the background.
I thought the Centaur was a super cool statue; it was massive and towered at around 30 feet or so.
Whoa! I would've guessed much smaller. Huh! Amazing how well preserved it is.
The mosaic floors of any archeological site make my heart race a little, so here’s a little collection of the intricate tilework unearthed at Pompeii.
They are pretty cool. I mean they are no different than ceramic tiles and hardwood floors now. The more ornate or clever, the higher the wealth or status of the owner.
I can just hear the voices echoing...

"Hello! Enter, please!"
"Oh! I love the new floor! So beautiful"

And what's even more interesting (to me at least) is that Vesuvius erupted in 79CE, so people who knew/met Jesus could have witnessed it. Imagine living in an era when two events that have been well known for over 2,000 years took place!
The mind boggles.
I'm kinda in love with this shot!!
I can see why. Another little slice of life captured. Nicely done. :thumbsup2
The most well-known, and certainly most poignant, antiquities are the plaster casts of the people whose lives were changed in a matter of minutes. They certainly give one a cause to stop and contemplate the frailty of life and the opportunity to be thankful for each day we have.
My scrolling came to a (no pun intended at all) dead stop when I saw that. Every time I see those images, whether it be online, in a book or magazine, or now in your TR, I always have to stop. It's just... I'm not sure what the words are for it. Heartbreaking? Haunting?
Let’s just say that the frescoes on the walls of the brothel were… graphic.
Oh yeah? So you're saying the trip was educational and entertaining.
At this point, the tour groups were becoming a nuisance and clogging up the touring which made things at times annoying.
Sheesh. Stay home tourists!

Wait...
You is one.
I imagine life was much shorter with the cooties that must’ve been passed around.
Ew...

But... yeah, I'm sure it was.
I’m not sure what would have been worse: neurologic syphilis or lead poisoning.
Lead poisoning? Was there evidence of more useage at the time/place? Or just in general.
A quick Google shows that lead has been mined for over 8,000 years!
Each pot would have contained hot water with another pot of food immersed inside to keep the foot warm. I found this fascinating!
Cool!
(Kind of like double boilers)
::yes::
It blew my mind that the chariot tracks were visible on just about every street. This was the best example of them that I was able to manage to get.
That is cool. You can just imaging the busy street with chariots coming and going.

I would have laughed at the train, too. I did look like a ghetto special. ;)

I know that Vesuvius exploded and the ash that fell killed the people. But I don't see any ash in your photos. Did they remove all of it?

Wow, these are all incredible pictures (as always!!) I did giggle at the lovely train that arrived to pick you up, but hey, at least you got where you were going (and had seats!)

The tiled floors are just incredible. I'm impressed by how well-preserved they are; hardly a tile missing! There was just a Pompeii exhibit here in Chicago, but we unfortunately missed it. The plaster casting and your sentiment about the time we have is powerful stuff for sure. Definitely puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

Congratulations on passing your latest test. You do deserve a break.

I'm still reading along and enjoying all the photos and history details.

Yes, I'd have liked to get some glass from....

Wait...

Lambo?????
1695021039619.png
I mean, one can dream, no?
Some subjects just scream B&W... many don't.
I'd say most don't. B&W is a super tough skill and I am very cautious when converting.
I'm pretty sure that's happened a few times.
Of that I'm absolutely certain. I've been the butt of many a joke overseas in this regard.
Ugh. no wonder it was noisy.
It was also a late-night hang out for youth so we had to endure many a conversation over a smoke or two.
Nice shot with the B&W. :)
Thanks! I like how it turned out!
The circum-what?!?!?

Oh... circumvesuviano... You get off a little bit before the head of the line.
"Circum" = around
"Vesuviano" = Vesuvius

This is the meaning of circumvesuviano:

circumvesuviano (Italian)​

Origin & history​

circum- + vesuviano

Adjective​

circumvesuviano (masc.) (fem. circumvesuviana, masc. pl. circumvesuviani, fem. pl. circumvesuviane)
  1. Around Vesuvius
Yeah... I must admit that might make me nervous a bit. I know, I know, the odds of it blowing just as I arrive compared to any other day are pretty darned remote... but tell that to all those people who were in Pompeii and Herculaneum the last time it blew.
Wouldn't stop me from visiting (Pompeii being on my bucket list), but I'm pretty sure I'd glance up at the mountain a time or two.
It's definitely an ominous presence overlooking its prey. But I do think there would be signs prior...? Steam, earthquakes, little eruptions?
See? Any day now.
;)

Like any other other day after a visit to Taco Bell?
Ah! Smart move. Don't think I'd have thought of that.
He (his company) have so many produced. I used his material a TON when planning this trip and had several resources downloaded to my phone.

There were signs. But they were all ornately carved wood... which burned up during the eruption.

Doesn't matter, they were all in Latin anyways.
🤣
So... When I originally quoted this, I was going to insert a laughing emoji as I thought you were being funny.
Imagine my surprise to find that you were serious!
Nope, was 100% serious! WHO KNEW?!
Like this one with the person at the far end. Without that, it wouldn't be nearly as compelling, IMHO.
In this case, it worked perfectly, and now, I'm not even sure if I remember doing it intentionally.
Thanks for pointing it out. I scrolled right past, being more intent on the ruins than the background.
:) Quite impressive for sure.
Whoa! I would've guessed much smaller. Huh! Amazing how well preserved it is.
There was so much perfectly preserved. In fact, much of the "damage" came AFTER it was dug out from weather and sun and human hands.
They are pretty cool. I mean they are no different than ceramic tiles and hardwood floors now. The more ornate or clever, the higher the wealth or status of the owner.
I can just hear the voices echoing...

"Hello! Enter, please!"
"Oh! I love the new floor! So beautiful"
HA! That sure gives the scenario "life"!
I can see why. Another little slice of life captured. Nicely done. :thumbsup2
There aren't many photos of Anara that she approves of, but when I sent her the edited version she exclaimed, "I LOVE IT!!" So win!
My scrolling came to a (no pun intended at all) dead stop when I saw that. Every time I see those images, whether it be online, in a book or magazine, or now in your TR, I always have to stop. It's just... I'm not sure what the words are for it. Heartbreaking? Haunting?
I think all that. It's just so shocking but gives rise to deep contemplation.
Oh yeah? So you're saying the trip was educational and entertaining.
LOL! Something like that.
Sheesh. Stay home tourists!

Wait...
You is one.
I dunno, I didn't mind the single or pairs of tourists, but a whole group can easily impede thoroughfares and block everyone else. In most of the spaces at EVERY site we went to some of the rooms were quite small and don't have enough room for everyone to fit into so doorways were often blocked. Don't get me wrong, we were on tours the entire Greece portion and they were more often than not wonderful and we learned a LOT, but they can start to irritate single travelers and I do understand why having been on both ends.
Lead poisoning? Was there evidence of more useage at the time/place? Or just in general.
A quick Google shows that lead has been mined for over 8,000 years!
But I don't think it was understood that it caused brain damage until much later and was continued to be used well into the not-to-distant past. This lead (no pun intended) me down a rabbit hole and I found this SUPER informative article. Yes, the Pompeiian did, in fact, poison themselves.

https://phys.org/news/2017-08-ancie...y were made,ruin through their drinking water.
That is cool. You can just imaging the busy street with chariots coming and going.
Would have been quite a sight!!!

I would have laughed at the train, too. I did look like a ghetto special. ;)

I know that Vesuvius exploded and the ash that fell killed the people. But I don't see any ash in your photos. Did they remove all of it?
It really did. The inside was a LITTLE bit better, but not much.

I think it's been excavated all away, but much of it still has not and it still buried. I'll explain in my next chapter that they are still actively uncovering treasures, some quite astonishing! :)

Wow, these are all incredible pictures (as always!!) I did giggle at the lovely train that arrived to pick you up, but hey, at least you got where you were going (and had seats!)
Thanks, Jackie! I really love how many of them turned out. :) Editing them sure does make me re-live the trip; we had so many wonderful times to make memories from.

LOL!!! That train!
The tiled floors are just incredible. I'm impressed by how well-preserved they are; hardly a tile missing! There was just a Pompeii exhibit here in Chicago, but we unfortunately missed it. The plaster casting and your sentiment about the time we have is powerful stuff for sure. Definitely puts things into perspective, doesn't it?
I think everything was covered in such a flash that everything was just simply put to sleep undamaged. The Rick Steve's audio tour gives some incredible perspectives and "science" about the eruption and timeline so you can really get a feel for how they died. So terrible!

Congratulations on passing your latest test. You do deserve a break.

I'm still reading along and enjoying all the photos and history details.
Thanks, Vanessa!! I'm so busy doing other stuff in some ways it doesn't feel like a break; I'm just doing other stuff. Some fun, some more school-related stuff.

I'm so happy you're still here. I wish I had tons of free-time right now to read everyone's reports but I just have so little. UGH! Wish I didn't have to work AND get through this school stuff. My whole being is exhausted from getting to bed around 1:00AM every night. OY!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter