That Happened Fast - PTR (9/1 - 9/6 at RPR)

am1323

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone!

Let me start by saying my name is Amanda, and I'm in love with Universal.

No, seriously.

I first visited Universal Orlando as a child, and distinctly remember a few of the older rides (Jaws, Disaster, Twister, Terminator 2, and Kong) though for the life of me can't recall the year. Needless to say, it had been a while as I recently turned 32 in March. I have two children, May (6) and Eli (2), and it is thanks to them that I rediscovered my love for riding the movies.

This past January while planning a trip to see the Mouse, it was suggested to me by my mother - Leslie - that we spend a few days at Universal. She had been recently enough to explore the new Harry Potter areas, and knowing I was a fan correctly guessed it was something I would very much enjoy. So I did it. Scattered throughout our eight day trip I managed to work in three whole days at Universal - and let me tell you, I was hooked.

So hooked, in fact, that just a few short months later I returned to Universal with my mother, daughter, and son. (June 2018) for a seven night stay. My husband is not quite so enthused with theme parks, and has recently discovered that as long as he lets me go to my happy place I'm willing to let him have a few nights of peace and quiet ;). It's a situation that has worked out well for both of us.

On our June trip, we purchased seasonal annual passes as opposed to an unlimited ticket. This seemed like enough of a guarantee that we would certainly return within the year - I was thinking January; however, it seems hubby has finally gotten tired of staying at home as he booked us on a cruise leaving February 3 and instructed me (because he's incredible) to move up my trip. Hours and hours of scouring the internet for the best deal and the best dates, and here we are - the last girl's trip of 2018 and my third trip of the year. After reading through so many great trip reports, and using them to plan my own vacation, I thought it was past time I start writing my own.

Now, the details!

Who's Going? : Amanda, May, and Leslie
When? : September 1 2018 (Saturday) - September 6 2018 (Thursday)
Where? : Royal Pacific Resort

I felt very lucky to catch an APH rate for our hotel over the Labor Day Holiday. As we always travel with express pass, there were only three hotel options and seeing as we had an excellent experience with RPR previously seeing such a great rate was the answer to the big question: When? I do try to keep my solo vacations on a certain budget, and it took a lot of manipulating to ensure I hit the right price point. Luckily, United had the perfect flight for me on the same dates. We land early and leave late, which was exactly what I was hoping for considering the relatively short duration of this trip compared to our last.

An exciting difference will be that my husband is keeping my son this time around. While I adore my boy, I am looking forward to not having to utilize child swap (which I cannot say enough good things about, by the way) and being able to move around the parks with more freedom. Also, a week off of changing diapers? Yes please.

We knew there were a few things we very much want to try this trip. I've listed a few below and am more than welcome to suggestions!

-Mythos
-Toothsome
-The Shows! We never stop riding long enough to sit down and relax.
-The Big Pink Donut
-Breakfast at the Three Broomsticks

For planning, I use a touringplans and have created rough outlines for each day of our trip (I'm a serious list person, and hate wasting time going "What do you want to do?"). We will be using Uber or Lyft to get to our hotel from MCO, and purchasing a couple of Freestyle dining plans with my American Express to get the discount.

Always the procrastinator, I have not even begun to pack.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a solid plan!

And you are taking off for Orlando in a couple of days from now......3 more sleeps.....

Jealous! Have a great trip!

The shows are great - all of them! Not a fan of Mythos food here, ambience is very nice. We are a Confisco Grill family, first meal every trip to Uni - our "we have arrived" meal! From personal experiences, the Big Pink Donut travels well, put a couple in your carry on for your trip home - 3 to 4 days of freshness...usually!

Thanks for the advice! I know my daughter will LOVE to bring home a couple to share with her brother who is staying home this trip. Also, we just love donuts. I've heard Voodoo isn't quite so travel friendly though.

One more sleep! We've had some setbacks. I was diagnosed with strep earlier this week and have been on antibiotics, and my mom's dog is sick. Still hoping this vacation happens and everyone is able to enjoy themselves without worry or illness.

Thanks for the advice! I know my daughter will LOVE to bring home a couple to share with her brother who is staying home this trip. Also, we just love donuts. I've heard Voodoo isn't quite so travel friendly though.

One more sleep! We've had some setbacks. I was diagnosed with strep earlier this week and have been on antibiotics, and my mom's dog is sick. Still hoping this vacation happens and everyone is able to enjoy themselves without worry or illness.

Sending good thoughts your way that your trip goes well!:goodvibes

Who's Going? : Amanda, May, and Leslie
When? : September 1 2018 (Saturday) - September 6 2018 (Thursday)
Where? : Royal Pacific Resort

Hope you and your mom are well enough for leaving Saturday.

And hope you are catching 40 winks right now...

Wishing you a fantastic vacation!

I hope you are at UO and feeling fine
and are enjoying the vacation

Touch base with us when you return home and fill us in on the fun you all had

Hi can't wait to hear about your trip! Sounds like fun! I totally understand needing a little off time. It does wonders! Hope it's a good trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts