Thank you to this board, but our upcoming group trip will be one and done!

Im not sure if this has been touched on, but you absolutely dont need FP for the child not going on.

We actually split out family in 2 groups, then split the 42"+ fasT passes. So we essentially get 2x as many 42"+ rides.

You go up with your kid and the other riders. Say "heres my kid". they hand you the ticket, other guests get in the FP lane. THAT paper rider swap ticket will act as your Fast pass ticket for up to 3 guests.

Im not sure if this has been touched on, but you absolutely dont need FP for the child not going on.

We actually split out family in 2 groups, then split the 42"+ fasT passes. So we essentially get 2x as many 42"+ rides.

You go up with your kid and the other riders. Say "heres my kid". they hand you the ticket, other guests get in the FP lane. THAT paper rider swap ticket will act as your Fast pass ticket for up to 3 guests.
It's gone completely digital now. No paper!

I just wanted to thank everyone on this board! I am in charge of a 6 day, 12 person trip in April 2020 (the week before Easter...) and these boards have been immensely helpful.

I haven't been in almost 10 years, so I have put in the time, I have learned what to do and more importantly, what not to do.

I woke up a 3am PST last week to secure all of our dining reservations. I will wake up early in February to secure what I can for our fastpasses.

However, after this trip, I CANNOT see us doing this again. Disneyworld's system of "our way or the highway" sucks! It's not just the money. It's the time. The time to plan. Then the time to make sure we follow the plan. It's ridiculous.

Please understand these are MY opinions. Those of you that go multiple times per year (where you can afford to miss a ride or two) or during the off-season most likely feel differently.

Here's why I won't be doing this again.

1. Dining reservations 180 days out (before park hours are finalized. You don't know which parks will be opening early / staying late longer. You have an idea, but Disney can change however they want).

2. Having to choose FPs 60 days out. I've been following the dibb and I've basically come to terms that during our week, we won't be able to get any of the headliners for the first 3/4 days. No SDMT, no FOP, no SDD.
a. I moved our HS / AK days to the end of our trip to help account for this.

3. Not being able to book multiple parks for the first 3 in advance, if you have park hoppers. Why is this even a thing?! I paid more to be able to "hop". I should be able to schedule FP at whatever park I want, as long as my ticket will get me in. I do understand tiers would still apply. But tiers are also another reason the system isn't friendly.

4. If all you can get are later in the day FPs, you'll spend the first part of the day in standby lines.

5. We have 2 kids, one of which won't be able to ride anything over 42 inches. No problem, we'll just use rider swap. But now I'm seeing everyone has to have a FP, even group 2. What's the point of this? If me, my wife and taller kid have to have a FP for FOP, what do we get my smaller son during that time? A FP he can't use?

6. We looked into VIP, but we have 12, so we'd need two guides. Our week will be approx. $600 plus per hour x 2. $1200 per hour and you still have to use the FP line! So a 30 minute wait in a FP line will cost $600...

7. We looked into getting club level rooms. We are staying at CTR for the location (My family rented DVC points for BLT 1 BR based on advice from here). But the club rooms were almost DOUBLE the price for that week. So, for a 6 day stay, it would have been an extra $3600 for each family PLUS the $50 per person, per day for 3 extra FP. Club rooms are a waste if you are trying to maximize park time, so our extra 3 FPs (plus 90 day window) for a family of 4 over 6 days would have been an extra $4800. If you are keeping score at home, that's $67 per FP!

8. All of this leads to an incredibly rigid "vacation" schedule. What if your kids want to go back to a certain park? Too bad, unless you want to abandon all the pre-scheduled FPs and wait in line all day. What if you don't feel like a certain meal that day? Too bad, unless you want to roll the dice on what is left.

I know the rebuttals, but I'm not looking for an argument. To each their own.

1. "You should go at a different, less busy time." I could, but coordinating 3 families with kid's school schedules doesn't allow for that.
2. "You could use "refresh" to help with FP." I will do that, but staring at my phone all day is not my idea of a good time. I want to spend time with my family.

I will play by the rules, because I know if we don't, it will be a nightmare. I have spent the first part of planning trying to convince the other people in my group that "yes, all this planning is necessary". I believe they are on board, but I have a feeling if they knew all of this before plans were made, Disneyworld would have lost the vote.

We also scheduled one day over at Universal Florida. I used advice here to book a "throwaway room" (was able to use Chase UR points at 1.5 cent value) at one of the properties that includes Express Pass. And that's it, planning done! We'll be able to hit both parks and do pretty much all the rides we want in that one day (and in any order we want!). I am so looking forward to that day!

This is not the typical rant that is after the fact, where the person didn't plan and is mad at all the people who did. I WILL plan. I'm just saying the planning is the reason we will vacation elsewhere next time.

Thanks for letting me vent and again thank you to everyone who posts here.
You should go to Disneyland. It is all magical Disney without all of the planning except booking your room, transportation, and a handful of dining reservations. I actually freaked out before we went because I had nothing to do beyond those things.

We had such a wonderful vacation there staying onsite at the Disneyland Hotel. We enjoyed the close proximity of everything, especially Downtown Disney. My family is pushing me to book a WDW trip this summer, but I really wish that we were going back to California instead.

You should go to Disneyland. It is all magical Disney without all of the planning except booking your room, transportation, and a handful of dining reservations. I actually freaked out before we went because I had nothing to do beyond those things.

We had such a wonderful vacation there staying onsite at the Disneyland Hotel. We enjoyed the close proximity of everything, especially Downtown Disney. My family is pushing me to book a WDW trip this summer, but I really wish that we were going back to California instead.
I grew up 20 minutes from DL. Been there many times and have always had a blast. I knew DW was a different beast going in, but it really is night and day.
But I get it, they can’t have the exact same systems. One counts more on locals and 2-3 day visits, on average (I would imagine). The other is a beast people plan multiple week stays to.

You are correct. You don’t need one for the child not riding, but people are reporting you do need one for everyone who will be riding (in both group 1 AND 2). Sounds like it’s enforced by CM discretion mainly on SDMT and FOP.
Defeats the purpose IMO (aside from extending the window for the group 2 people) because it penalizes the child who isn’t riding.

OP, I whole heartedly AGREE.
Coming up in 2020 is my 11th or 12 th trip since 2000. I'm planning for 6 persons ( 5 adults, I child). I can say that there isn't a lot of FUN to be had doing all this preplanning. I understand it'll be worth it IF I get the ADR character breakfast I've chosen and a few very key FP's . Honestly, I feel sorry for any newbies, it's almost too much researching and planning.

I grew up 20 minutes from DL. Been there many times and have always had a blast. I knew DW was a different beast going in, but it really is night and day.
But I get it, they can’t have the exact same systems. One counts more on locals and 2-3 day visits, on average (I would imagine). The other is a beast people plan multiple week stays to.
I fell in love with California.

OP, I didn’t read all the response, but it seems as if you’ve hit a nerve!
FWIW, I thought your post was respectful, honest, and not particularly negative.

Our first trip was just my husband and I - maybe 12 years ago. I didn’t know we had to do any planning (or maybe you didn’t really need to at that time) - we ate where we were, and grabbed paper fast passes.

While I like the convenience of not running across a park to snag another fast pass, the fact I need to book 2 months out is pretty silly if you think about it. My kids wanted to ride slinky immediately again after our FP+ ride - but FP+ for that ride were gone 50+ days ago. And there was no way I wanted to wait in the line for 75 minutes.....Being in toy story land was like visiting the surface of the sun :rotfl2:

Even trying to plan with our family of five feels ridiculous - okay kids, it’s March, where do you want to eat lunch in September?

Disney has made it much more difficult to have a spontaneous vacation. Sure, if you don’t care about what you see, or do, or eat....it’s still possible to be completely flexible.....but Disney is definitely trying to make that the exception instead of the norm.

And I completely agree with your point about buying hoppers, but not being able to book fast passes at multiple parks....

I"m sorry you are frustrated with the planning. I've never planned for such a large group so I can't really comment on that, but I will say you are awesome to take on all the planning for your party!! Personally I love to plan, and pour over the plans, and change the plans.....so for me that part is fun. I get that to some it would be a nightmare though. I hope you have an awesome trip, and I would love it if you reported back here after your trip and let us know how you feel after the week is done!

My kids wanted to ride slinky immediately again after our FP+ ride - but FP+ for that ride were gone 50+ days ago
Yes, this is my concern with my kids too! They are kids, of course they are going to want to ride again! I'm sure they will understand as I explain the ins and outs of the FP+ system to them...
okay kids, it’s March, where do you want to eat lunch in September
Seems like a reasonable request...:P
And I completely agree with your point about buying hoppers, but not being able to book fast passes at multiple parks....
This just seems like DW exerting of control over something they really don't need to. Making it 3 in one park could limit your park hopping ability depending on what times you get for the first 3.

I"m sorry you are frustrated with the planning. I've never planned for such a large group so I can't really comment on that, but I will say you are awesome to take on all the planning for your party!! Personally I love to plan, and pour over the plans, and change the plans.....so for me that part is fun. I get that to some it would be a nightmare though. I hope you have an awesome trip, and I would love it if you reported back here after your trip and let us know how you feel after the week is done!
I plan to report back. Thanks for reading.

My kids wanted to ride slinky immediately again after our FP+ ride - but FP+ for that ride were gone 50+ days ago. And there was no way I wanted to wait in the line for 75 minutes.....Being in toy story land was like visiting the surface of the sun :rotfl2:

Yes, this is my concern with my kids too! They are kids, of course they are going to want to ride again! I'm sure they will understand as I explain the ins and outs of the FP+ system to them...

But...even if there was no such thing as fast pass...the line would still be 75 minutes long. Plus, your kids would have waited 75 minutes for their first ride rather than zipping through the fast pass line.

My DBF thinks I’m crazy, but I actually enjoy the planning. I get a thrill when I snag an ADR or fastpass I wanted. I love anticipating the trip we are going to have many times up until we are actually there. For all the rigidity and structure of the planning, the best way have a good time is to plan well and then be flexible once you are there. I’ve never not gotten to ride something I really wanted to. Sometimes it means getting there early, sometimes it means staying until close, but it can be done even without Fastpasses. If you aren’t all touring together you may find it’s not as difficult to get Fastpasses for your particular group. My family is usually 5 people and I’ve always ended up getting all the headliners at least once even if it’s not at the time I’d prefer. A lot of dining can be changed the day before when people have to cancel to avoid being charged. I picked up ADRs for Sci Fi diner and Liberty Tree Tavern last Spring Break the day before. Unless you are on the dining plan, don’t be afraid to leave the park to dine occasionally. Orlando has a lot of nice options that are priced well below Disney and getting out and taking a little break can be refreshing and invigorating. When my kids were small, we’d often leave for a late lunch, have break at the resort, a quick dinner and then back to the park until close. If you are mainly doing the headliners after dark, it won’t matter as much if the little ones conk out in their strollers.
I hope your trip goes better than you are expecting. Having fun is the best plan. Even with all my planning, my spreadsheets, and my touring plans, I’ve never had a trip happen that I didn’t throw a trip plan away and do something else that worked better for us once we were there. There’s no way to see and do it all. So just know what your must dos are ahead of time.

But...even if there was no such thing as fast pass...the line would still be 75 minutes long. Plus, your kids would have waited 75 minutes for their first ride rather than zipping through the fast pass line.
It would more than likely be less than 75mins, measurably less more than likely too. Having FP on an attraction pretty much ensures the wait time will be longer (and sometimes vastly longer) than it would be if no FP existed.

When you have a constant stream of people going through a line, with little stoppage, you can get people through it quicker. If you have to stop people to let another line of people through you'll end up waiting longer. Whenever I was in the standby line I'm always hoping people are paying attention and keeping the line moving so I can squeak by before the CM cuts off the SB line to let FP people through. Same goes for when I'm in the FP line and I get stopped so people in the SB line can go through. Stoppage just adds to the wait time. You're just waiting longer in the SB line than in the FP line to begin with.

It still may be longer than someone wants to wait but that's all subjective.

OP....You've said many of the things that my family has been saying and feeling for some time now. We are avid Disney fans. Have been going to the parks since the mid 70's and has seen all the changes over those many years. We got married at WDW and enjoyed many years at both DL and WDW. However, the amount of planning with dining and FP's is too much. Deciding where you're going to eat, what ride(s) you want to FP, what park to be in....it's not my idea of a vacation anymore. For those who say no one says you have to do that, you're right, but if you don't … chances of getting a walk in reservation at a TS restaurant is not likely. And unless you're willing to wait in one hour plus lines for rides (even longer for the more popular rides), chances are you won't get on it. There is little to no room for flexibility.

more. For those who say no one says you have to do that, you're right, but if you don't … chances of getting a walk in reservation at a TS restaurant is not likely. And unless you're willing to wait in one hour plus lines for rides (even longer for the more popular rides), chances are you won't get on it. There is little to no room for flexibility.

Even over the 4th of July we were able to have our pick from many different restaurants by pulling up the app.

Even over the 4th of July we were able to have our pick from many different restaurants by pulling up the app.
I have no doubt this is true.

But "many different restaurants" could mean at times that don't work for our group or places that are not currently in the park we are at.

If you don't have a preference about where you eat, what time you eat or what you ride, I'm sure the sky is the limit on flexibility.

I have no doubt this is true.

But "many different restaurants" could mean at times that don't work for our group or places that are not currently in the park we are at.

If you don't have a preference about where you eat, what time you eat or what you ride, I'm sure the sky is the limit on flexibility.

On the other hand, if only one or two restaurants will do, then yes you do need to book them.

If someone thinks they can walk up to, say, the California Grill at 850 pm when the fireworks are at 900, then they are delusional. Have to use some common sense here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter