Texas

As a band director in far, far west Texas, I can tell you that most of us are trying to follow the protocols established by the NFHS aerosol study. Brass instruments should have a cover on the bell. Woodwinds should be covered. Distance should be 6 feet when not playing, 10 feet when playing. Of course, masks when not playing. Most bands are not doing a traditional halftime show. Many of us are doing the best we can with what info we've been given.
Best wishes to you. I have two band directors in my immediate family and many band members between all of us (myself included). To our family, band was always more important than football. We would go to games just for the halftime show. Stay safe and best of luck to you.

P.S. your screen name cracked me up.

Yay! The Rio Grande Valley, previously almost out of control with overcrowded hospitals, etc., is finally doing much better these last few weeks. Maybe the fact that we don't have many colleges round here has helped. But South Padre Island still doesn't help.

Yay! The Rio Grande Valley, previously almost out of control with overcrowded hospitals, etc., is finally doing much better these last few weeks. Maybe the fact that we don't have many colleges round here has helped. But South Padre Island still doesn't help.
Glad to hear it! I spoke to my aunt yesterday, who lives near you, and she sounded optimistic.

As a band director in far, far west Texas, I can tell you that most of us are trying to follow the protocols established by the NFHS aerosol study. Brass instruments should have a cover on the bell. Woodwinds should be covered. Distance should be 6 feet when not playing, 10 feet when playing. Of course, masks when not playing. Most bands are not doing a traditional halftime show. Many of us are doing the best we can with what info we've been given.

My band room is so small that I could probably fit 5 kids the 10 feet apart. Unfortunately, they divided all of my band and orchestra kids into different cohorts so I only have 1 or 2 band or orch kids per class. Home Depot gave me a huge discount on 5-gallon buckets (and threw in noise canceling headphones for me :rotfl2:)and we're bucket drumming.

Truthfully it hasn't been all that bad. We only have about 40% of our kids who choose in-person learning and there are only about 10 of my band kiddos and 5 of my orch kiddos out of my 250 from last year who are doing in-person. This is giving me an amazing opportunity to meet and reach kids I would have never had. The poor band/orch director who replaces me may have nothing but percussionists, but at least it will help rebuild. (I actually retired last year but the person who replaces me quit the day before school started. I came back but my last day is Oct. 23 because at that point I will run out of days I'm allowed to sub).

I'm interested in seeing what the local rehab/long term care facilities do with the new restriction guidelines starting on the 24th. My mom is in rehab and will transition into long term care, right now we're not allowed to see her.

I don't remember if this has been asked, but I'm curious about paying for testing in other parts of Texas. Down here, in our county, you can't get a Covid test unless you have at least one symptom and then either some insurances help pay, but if you don't have insurance (and our county has one of the highest rates of uninsured), you pay-and it isn't cheap. Yet, in NYC, DS just decided to get a Covid test, no symptoms, and the test was free. Are ny other parts of Texas giving free tests?

The website I check is showing pretty high numbers the last few days. Is anyone else seeing that?

I don't know of free tests in north Texas. I might have overlooked those though.

Yay, again! DH just read that there were just 3 states this week who showed a decrease in Covid cases and Texas was one of the 3. Back in August, our county judge announced that cases per day of <50 would indicate we might loosen up a little. At that time, cases per day were about 250 and we were thinking it would be forever to get all the way down to <50. Well, three times this week we did it! By the way, what's also great news for us is that one of the other 2 states is South Carolina, which is where we've gone for Thanksgiving for the last 15 years and are hoping to go this year. Looking good!

Travis county has 103 new cases this week. Currently, there are 72 people hospitalized from COVID-19, with 26 in the ICU and 14 on ventilators. Similar numbers for the last few weeks.

I was in Fredricksburg this weekend. There were so many people on Main Street that were not wearing masks. My DH and I stopped into the Five and Dime store for just a minute. Just getting to the store and back was a mad house of people with and without masks. We stopped at a restaurant or two and there was no social distancing at all, every table was full. We left and found another place to eat off of the main drag that did have social distancing.

I was in Fredricksburg this weekend. There were so many people on Main Street that were not wearing masks. My DH and I stopped into the Five and Dime store for just a minute. Just getting to the store and back was a mad house of people with and without masks. We stopped at a restaurant or two and there was no social distancing at all, every table was full. We left and found another place to eat off of the main drag that did have social distancing.
I don't know why I'm shocked by that. Nothing should shock me at this point. I'm so done with the human race.

I have a flight to san antonio in the morning. Im more worried about my return flight getting cancelled with all these airline layoffs looming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter