Test Track Updated- Good, Bad, Ugly?

ZephyrJG

Earning My Ears
Hello! I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I haven't been to WDW since 2011 :sad1: and only recently learned that Test Track has been completely changed since then.

TT was one of my favorite rides, and after looking at videos and ride-throughs online, I feel disappointed with what it has become.

A friend who was there recently said it was "ok", but also that it was no longer a ride he would go on multiple times in one trip.

"It's still kinda cool, but one ride was enough. It doesn't feel as magical anymore. The charm is gone."
- my friend

I was wondering what you think about it. It's hard for me to get a good idea just based on YouTube vids, and I would like more than one opinion from people who have actually been there.

Thanks!

Personally I liked the actual ride part better before. I miss the hot/cold room. My kids do like the design portion that is shortly before you go in and we have fun making "commercials" afterwards. Overall I would say it about evens out. I certainly think we would like to go multiple times still. Our favorite part is when you go fast outside and that hasn't changed.

We like the new version. Creating a car then seeing how it performs is fun and we hit it every day we're in FW.

Bill From PA

Personally I liked the actual ride part better before. I miss the hot/cold room. My kids do like the design portion that is shortly before you go in and we have fun making "commercials" afterwards. Overall I would say it about evens out. I certainly think we would like to go multiple times still. Our favorite part is when you go fast outside and that hasn't changed.

Same here - we miss the hot/cold areas but the best part is the fast ride outside and I don't think that has changed, at least not that I could tell.

I'd agree that I have relatively mixed opinions on whether the newest version is better than the oldest one. It's definitely different for the inside portion. I guess I'd say I liked the older version slightly better as far as the "ride" portion goes. However, as others said, the design studio is cool and adds a fun element to the ride that didn't exist before. The outside portion hasn't changed a bit, at least I don't think. It's still a family favorite for us.

For me once we did the design studio once it was no big deal after. The inside part of the ride is much more boring than it used to be. Outside is the same.

I've done the new version so many times that I forgot the old version, to be frank, but I think it's an OK improvement. Designing the cars is a lot of fun & adds a competitive aspect, and the ride feels modern. It took some time to get over the change, but now i'm ok with it.

The new ride has the design phase - which has zero bearing on the actual ride. It's a bit of a holding area for people. I personally do not care for the new version of TT. It seems cheap to me, lots of neon lights and there's really no discernible story line to the ride...

It could've been improved so much more. I look at it and it still has some good features, but the"testing" aspect of cars has been diminished. Just my $0.02.

I think I'm 50/50 on the "new" TT. My son's and I do like the design center (they like it more than I do) and it is fun seeing how your design performs on the track. But as other have said the interior of the ride could have been done a little better. But hey the best part is still going fast outside and that hasn't changed !!

I wouldn't say it's completely changed, if you liked it before I think you'll still like it :) And feel lucky you'll get to ride it before it changes again, then you have comparison of multiple iterations :)

The track is the same give or take some modifications so for all intents and purposes it will be the ride you remember. Personally, we think theming is worse and that the process of designing your own car is unnecessary.

DD and I love the new car design preshow - she's figured out how to win the board for the day :)

I don't like it now.

Creating a car then seeing how it performs is fun and we hit it every day we're in FW.

If that were real it would be cool. But once you realize that if you have 3 groups of 2 all in one car and each group or even person has created a separate car, you know it's all just nonsense.

The once or twice I've ridden it without DH and DS since the new version I just skip the car-design part.

The new theme doesn't do anything for me, and I don't care about designing a car either. But I still love the ride itself just as much, it's a must do multiple times for me.

I don't like it now.

If that were real it would be cool. But once you realize that if you have 3 groups of 2 all in one car and each group or even person has created a separate car, you know it's all just nonsense.

The once or twice I've ridden it without DH and DS since the new version I just skip the car-design part.

While the ride itself isn't affected by the car design, there is a contest running during the attraction, with scores posted at the end, etc. Not sure what you mean about nonsense?

I wish I could have ridden the old version to compare, but as much as I love the ride, I wish they'd speed up the speed test past. I am a slow driver and I drive quicker than that!! :drive::laughing:

We like it OK - The interactive area where you design the car seems to keep you busy until you move forward, the ride itself is still the same with the exception of the changes with the inside portion - but I always feel like I am being ejected from a giant pinball machine with the way the lights work at the end before the doors open to the track.

The only thing I prefer the old one over was the queue. Track is identical and still pretty much has same elements. I enjoy making the car but the queue was a lot more enjoyable in the old one with test dummies and sledge hammers hitting tires, etc.

The new queue is absolutely stunning and feels like Epcot. I hated the old queue because it was dirty and loud. It also was starting to feel dated since the attraction was designed in the mid-1990's.

The ride itself is rather dull now. I miss the fake crash test and the oncoming truck effect doesn't work as well. However it looks more polished and feels like you're in TRON.

DD and I love the new car design preshow - she's figured out how to win the board for the day :)
Love to get some tips. I seem to be maxed out in the 215-218 range. I think I broke 220 once, and the daily high usually seems to be right around 232.
I'm probably constrained by not wanting to make a car that looks ridiculous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter