Terrible food at Disneyland this week

Just looking online and I see starting 1/9 they will offer disney100 food specials. For example, Flos has lemon chiffon.

This happened to us at Blue Bayou. We had a reservation, but when we requested waterside, we were told it would be an hour+ wait. We said fine and before we could even sit down in the waiting area, they called our name.
I wasn't impressed with our whole BB experience this time (loved it in the past). We had a reservation, I asked if possible could we be seated by the water since we were there for our 25th anniversary (had a button and everything). The hostess at check in rolled her eyes and in a very annoyed voice said "if you want to sit by the water you will have to wait hours and hours." I said ok, just thought I would ask. When they seated us, we walked right by an empty table by the water, just saying.... :( I understand they can't accommodate all the requests, but didn't appreciate the tone from our hostess.
Hubby got the pasta and it was ok. I got the pork and it was mediocre and definitely not worth the price. Our waiter was good, but busy so we waited a while for refills and such, but not a big deal. The whole time we were there though, the place was freezing! I run hot normally and even I was cold. We wore our sweaters the whole time and left with our teeth chattering.

Last edited:
I wasn't impressed with our whole BB experience this time (loved it in the past). We had a reservation, I asked if possible could we be seated by the water since we were there for our 25th anniversary (had a button and everything). The hostess at check in rolled her eyes and in a very annoyed voice said "if you want to sit by the water you will have to wait hours and hours." I said ok, just thought I would ask. When they seated us, we walked right by an empty table by the water, just saying.... :( I understand they can't accommodate all the requests, but didn't appreciate the tone from our hostess.
Hubby got the pasta and it was ok. I got the pork and it was mediocre and definitely not worth the price. Our waiter was good, but busy so we waited a while for refills and such, but not a big deal. The whole time we were there though, the place was freezing! I run hot normally and even I was cold. We wore our sweaters the whole time and left with our teeth chattering.

I understand that they get the "table by the water" request 100 times a day, but that was totally inappropriate from the hostess. The last couple times I've done BB, I've requested a waterside table, and I pre-empt the snark by saying "I know it will take longer, we're willing to wait." Both times, the wait ended up being much shorter than we feared and certainly not hours - one time it was like 20 minutes, the other not even 10 minutes, though we were just a party of 2.

If you can't watch the boats go by, there's really no point to BB as the food is overpriced and not good.

I wanted to report back a positive experience we just had eating at DLR. Everything was booked for New Years Eve when we decided to make a last-minute visit since we would be in the area for the Rose Bowl. But we snagged a dinner reservation at Storyteller Café, for our first-ever visit there. I was pleasantly surprised about the quality of the food. The corn chowder that the server brought us was the best I have ever had. The prime rib was well prepared and not too fatty. The fresh carved turkey with cranberry sauce was amazing, and I am not a huge turkey fan normally. Everything else that I tried on the buffet was good too. There wasn't a huge selection, but I prefer quality over quantity anyway. It was expensive, but I would much rather pay $20-30 more per person and get a quality dinner than pay for a disappointing overprized quick service meal. When you consider it included soda and dessert, it really isn't that much more expensive.

After my recent experiences at the resort, it was a breath of fresh air. I don't know if we hit it on a good night, and I wouldn't usually seek out buffets, but I will for sure try it again when we go back.

P.S. I strongly agree with the poster above the Flo's old menu was so much better. It bothers me greatly that they standardized the menu to match all the other burger places in the resort. They may have saved money, but all those little things add up and affect the overall guest experience. We used to love eating at Flo's, but hardly go there now.
I have to second this i ate at storytellers buffet in sept and it was awesome, they corn chowder is indeed the best ever and also asked for cheeseburger sliders, and grilled crusted cheese sandwhich, you have to ask the waiter but they will make it for you

This was our experience at Jazz Kitchen last week as well. Food was good but the charm of the place was gone. I don't think I will go back until at least the refurb is done. Maybe not even then if the ambience isn't back.

Funnily enough, we had a great experience at Trader Sam's. Didn't have a reservation, walked up to be added to the list for exclusively an inside table. Got told the wait might be 2 hrs, we were inside with drinks within 30 minutes.

We love the Jazz Kitchen, but I decided to skip it this upcoming trip due to the renovations; looks like I did the right thing.

How is Catal? I made reservations to try it out on our arrival day because we've never been there and the menu looked husband-friendly.

We love the Jazz Kitchen, but I decided to skip it this upcoming trip due to the renovations; looks like I did the right thing.

How is Catal? I made reservations to try it out on our arrival day because we've never been there and the menu looked husband-friendly.
You made a good decision, I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt but it was literally eating in a white room filled with tables. No decor or ambiance of any kind. Might as well have been a white cafeteria.

Never been to Catal so I can't say, the ambience from outside looked good thought.

Catal is fantastic! Try the paella.

That's really inexcusable behavior on the part of the hostess. It was both rude and completely fabricated. I'm so sorry it put a damper on your enjoyment (which of course it would!). She had no right to roll her eyes and be annoyed at a request that of course is going to be a popular one. What else can you do?

As far as the cold, yikes!! That's miserable. That happened to us last year at Carthay. I've never been so cold in a restaurant in my life! Something was drastically wrong with the system as well as the food prep. Everyone was freezing and people had covered themselves in cloth napkins to try and keep warm. I had an app on my phone that registered the indoor temp at 47 degrees. I'm one of those people who is almost always cold anyway so it was so unpleasant. We couldn't get service because something was going on we were not apprised of and we waited an hour for food. It wasn't even very good. We never got the wine we ordered or the coffee until way, way later, at which point we just wanted to leave. They comped us with a very poor excuse for a lava cake (served cold) to share between us.

I wanted to report back a positive experience we just had eating at DLR. Everything was booked for New Years Eve when we decided to make a last-minute visit since we would be in the area for the Rose Bowl. But we snagged a dinner reservation at Storyteller Café, for our first-ever visit there. I was pleasantly surprised about the quality of the food. The corn chowder that the server brought us was the best I have ever had. The prime rib was well prepared and not too fatty. The fresh carved turkey with cranberry sauce was amazing, and I am not a huge turkey fan normally. Everything else that I tried on the buffet was good too. There wasn't a huge selection, but I prefer quality over quantity anyway. It was expensive, but I would much rather pay $20-30 more per person and get a quality dinner than pay for a disappointing overprized quick service meal. When you consider it included soda and dessert, it really isn't that much more expensive.

After my recent experiences at the resort, it was a breath of fresh air. I don't know if we hit it on a good night, and I wouldn't usually seek out buffets, but I will for sure try it again when we go back.

P.S. I strongly agree with the poster above the Flo's old menu was so much better. It bothers me greatly that they standardized the menu to match all the other burger places in the resort. They may have saved money, but all those little things add up and affect the overall guest experience. We used to love eating at Flo's, but hardly go there now.

Storytellers breakfast buffet is also top notch.

Flos has WAY better burgers than any of the other DLR quick service places. They also still have that carved turkey and use it for the club sandwich, which is very good. I like that they serve the sandwiches and burgers with the pickle spear too. Elevates it just a bit.

And, the fried chicken platter is basically the same chicken as Plaza Inn now (it used to have a different breading/batter, but not anymore). That meal is also a step up from most CS locations.

We loved Storytellers when we were there and even though it is pricey we made another reservation for our trip in February. I could eat a whole pan of the bread pudding by myself lol

We love Catal. Great cocktails and food. It will be sad to see them go.

On another note, last year we purchased the Mickey head gingerbread cookie in a Main Street store. It was very good. This year they had the same cookie but it was huge and the cookie was not good. It was dry. Not sure why Disney felt that they needed to upsize the cookie but I hope that they go back to the smaller size. We saw the other full Mickey gingerbread cookie but I refuse to stand in line to purchase anything like that.

I had terrible food in November, it was so sad because I took my Aunt for her first trip to the USA ever and kept telling her how much I love the food at Disneyland. It was so bad, I wrote some reviews on here already.
The worst was River Belle, it was so bad we couldn't eat it. But honestly nothing was really very good.
Bland and barely warm was the consensus of most of it.

I did enjoy the buffet at Minnie Breakfast but that was about it.

I ate at Catal recently with my teenager, and if his completely CLEARED plate of filet mignon is any indication, we had a great visit. The paella is on my list for next time (I also had the filet because I was anticipating him needing more food, which he did even after clearing his plate and the entire calamari appetizer.) LOL

Storytellers was always my fav 'sit down' place, especially the way they catered to my Celiac Disease. Never had a bad meal and always left happy with the service. It was always our 'goodbye breakfast' go-to place. After it went buffet, we went to S55.

I haven't eaten at Storytellers since they went buffet partly due to the risk of X-contamination, but mostly due to the price. I can't eat $50 worth of food at one go to start with, but it's especially 'not worth it' since the offerings can be quite limited for people with allergies or intolerances.

We love Catal. Great cocktails and food. It will be sad to see them go.

On another note, last year we purchased the Mickey head gingerbread cookie in a Main Street store. It was very good. This year they had the same cookie but it was huge and the cookie was not good. It was dry. Not sure why Disney felt that they needed to upsize the cookie but I hope that they go back to the smaller size. We saw the other full Mickey gingerbread cookie but I refuse to stand in line to purchase anything like that.

Oh no, is Catal closing in the future?!

FYI I just saw that La Brea Bakery has permanently closed. Got a question. If we aren't staying at the Grand Californian is it ok to go to the lounge? My friends are CA residents and we are trying to decide on a place to meet up when we are there.

FYI I just saw that La Brea Bakery has permanently closed. Got a question. If we aren't staying at the Grand Californian is it ok to go to the lounge? My friends are CA residents and we are trying to decide on a place to meet up when we are there.
Anyone can eat at any of the restaurants inside the hotels. Exiting the Grand Californian Hotel does require you to go through security again.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter