Tent camping in May

Djt227

Earning My Ears
Hello! I'm new to this board but have been reading along and you guys definitely seem to know what you're talking about! My family and I are planning our first trip to the Fort this May and we're so excited!!

We will be tent camping for 6 nights. We have been camping since our girls were little (now 4 and 5) but we're from Philadelphia and usually camp no more than an hour or two away from there. I really am not sure what to expect with Florida weather in May. Any weather related tips (like would just fans be ok? Or expect lots of rain?) would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

There are some regular tent campers on here that will be great resources. May will be hot. The later in the month you get, the more humidity and afternoon rains. Rain can be 10 minutes or several hours, but I rarely remember having full day wash outs. Search on here for A/C in tents. Many newer tents have a boot for an A/C unit. Since you are from Philly, I'd consider using an A/C even if you are used to "Summer" camping. The heat and humidity in Florida can really take it out of you. There are lots of options during the day to cool down, but night time can be miserable if you aren't used to it. And May will already be consistently into the 90s.

j

May can be 'summertime' in FL with heat, humidity, and rain, 'or' you may luck out and it can be relatively mild temps and no rain. We have seen both scenarios!! We will be there end of April - first of May for F&G festival, but we are in a mh and do have AC which we are usually thankful for. Good luck! :goodvibes

Thanks for AC tips. I guess it's better to be safe then sorry! Lol, it's hard to think of air conditioning in a few weeks when it's freezing here today!

We're going the second week of May so fingers crossed for the better end of the May weather. Would love to hear how your trip goes @North of Mouse!

@North I hope you have a great trip! I'm also really looking forward to F&G festival. I've never been and heard it's wonderful!
I just finished seam sealing our tent and organizing all our gear. Can't wait to get to the Fort in 3 weeks!!

@North I hope you have a great trip! I'm also really looking forward to F&G festival. I've never been and heard it's wonderful!
I just finished seam sealing our tent and organizing all our gear. Can't wait to get to the Fort in 3 weeks!!

Thanks! We leave for Disney in just over a week and are getting excited for the F&G festival. We have been several years and it's too beautiful to describe. Even so, Disney being Disney, they cut back a little every year. It was much prettier a few years back, but, of course if you haven't seen it before, you will not know that. It's still awesome! Hope you enjoy it!!

NoM... Are you a "Tent" camper or do you have a camper (of some sort)?

Oh, no, not this girl sleeping in a tent!!! LOL (nor her dh).
Tried it 2 nights many moons ago, and said never again - would rather not camp at all!! Have to have our comforts, a 'locking' door, and our 'personal' bed & bath. :D

Have had mh's for the last 13 yrs. - several different type/sizes TT's before that, even had a pop up for one season, but couldn't abide wet canvas. Now, we're totally content - dh loves driving the mh - I towed TT's, but haven't driven the mh yet. We like to 'rough' it gently!! :P

Last edited:
We've tent camped in May in the past, and will be at FW May 22-27 this year. It's pretty toasty, honestly, but not too bad. Bring fans, and hope that it doesn't rain all night so that you can keep some ventilation open. We did get some rain overnight and a few big afternoon storms, but mornings were generally really nice. We were in the 2000 loop last time we camped in May, and we found there was plenty of shade, which helped. We were in the 300 loop last April (because there were no partial sites left when we booked) and found it baking hot, with the concrete and the relative lack of shade, even though it was quite a bit cooler than when we were there in May. Then again, I've also been to WDW in late May (not camping) and it was hoodie weather, so who really knows. :D

Anyway, plan for heat, plan for rain, plan for lots of pool time in the hot afternoons with the kids (we have a 5 and 7 year old and they're looking forward to the pool slide more than the parks!), and have a great trip!

Thanks for AC tips. I guess it's better to be safe then sorry! Lol, it's hard to think of air conditioning in a few weeks when it's freezing here today!

We're going the second week of May so fingers crossed for the better end of the May weather. Would love to hear how your trip goes @North of Mouse!

Planning for May next year, please let us know how it goes.

OK, we're back from 10 nights at the Fort and will let you know the weather as I promised!!

This last week has been 'very' hot, dry and windy!! It was mostly 87*-95* with 50%-60% humidity. Two days it was 97*, so as you can see, summer is fast approaching in the south!! The lower humidity levels kept it from being as hot as the same temps in mid summer - but still plenty warm. The nights did cool down nicely though. Our AC did run a few times early night, but the site we had (119) is in the full sun so that would factor in.

We had a great trip - no rude CM's, no bus issues, mostly great timing, great food, no obnoxious guests that we saw.
Sometimes the Dis can be sooo negative, but I firmly believe Disney is what you (general) make of it.

It was mostly lower crowds so we were able to get extra FP's during day and do 'stand by' for some of the mainliner rides. Rivers of Light, Soarin' (new one) and Frozen were all great. The extra screen for Soarin' and the extra track for Toy Story Mania really made a difference in wait times.
We didn't do rope drop at all and still did great.

Good luck to you both!!! Have great trips! The weather can really vary from year to year! :goodvibes

"Cold" front came through Florida last night. We are camping in the Keys and have long sleeves on tonight and it's quite windy. Last year, I had awful heat rash from the same camping trip. I hope this weather holds for your trip!!

always take a tarp with some sort of tie down. tarps are like duct tape...never leave home without one. We actually cover our whole tent with a huge tarp. and then we tie it down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter