Temporary Injury Need Advice

1971DBday

Keep moving forward!
i just broke my radius this past Saturday in a freak accident (radial fracture) and vacation is in 27 days. While I will be discussing what I can and cannot due on this vacation with my ortho and physical therapist, they are not Disney experts. I am not in a cast, just a sling but that will hopefully be gone in two weeks.

While in Disney I will still be under the restriction of not lifting anything heavier than an eating utensil and should avoid bumping of the elbow (location of fracture) so here are my concerns/questions:

1. Would you still where the sling so hopefully more people notice and you lesson the chance of bumping? Also concerned about bus transportation. If I’m stuck standing and lose grip I could land on my bad arm.

2. What rides would you avoid? We typically go on everything and right now I’m definitely avoiding RNRRC, Prime evil whirl, and space mountain but think I might be able to handle EE, Slinky Dog (I’ve never been on), Star Tours,ToT, 7D, and BTMRR by keeping this arm up and not holding on with that arm.

Please help and tell me if my idea in #2 is just stupidity. I am 47 and this is my first broken bone. Help and honesty are appreciated!

i just broke my radius this past Saturday in a freak accident (radial fracture) and vacation is in 27 days. While I will be discussing what I can and cannot due on this vacation with my ortho and physical therapist, they are not Disney experts. I am not in a cast, just a sling but that will hopefully be gone in two weeks.

While in Disney I will still be under the restriction of not lifting anything heavier than an eating utensil and should avoid bumping of the elbow (location of fracture) so here are my concerns/questions:

1. Would you still where the sling so hopefully more people notice and you lesson the chance of bumping? Also concerned about bus transportation. If I’m stuck standing and lose grip I could land on my bad arm.

2. What rides would you avoid? We typically go on everything and right now I’m definitely avoiding RNRRC, Prime evil whirl, and space mountain but think I might be able to handle EE, Slinky Dog (I’ve never been on), Star Tours,ToT, 7D, and BTMRR by keeping this arm up and not holding on with that arm.

Please help and tell me if my idea in #2 is just stupidity. I am 47 and this is my first broken bone. Help and honesty are appreciated!
I am so sorry about your arm and hoe you make a fst a nd full recovery so here is my answe to your question

1yes I ould wear the sling it might help other to not bump into you on that side but some people at Disney are just too into there vacation to notice you have a sling and might still bump into you. as fair as bus you can also wait for the next bu where there is a set most of the time when it is so full that peole are standing the next bus comes sooner then every 20 minutes

2 I would not realy know what rides to not ride I think this is something to talk to your dr /PT about it might also be how fair along you are with recovery how much pain you are in and so on. you might want to start with something small like 7DMT and see how your airm feel after but aia would be a little worried about what if you sliped in the ride car and tried to catch your self with your bad arm

alsoin every park there is a first aid if you need ice or to lie down while you pain meds kick in or even if you just need to lie down they have a few OTC meds

1 yes - and I’d be tempted to use one of those slings that includes an extra strap that anchors the sling around your body
2 - go slow - try the wimpy rides first - see how it goes

1 yes - and I’d be tempted to use one of those slings that includes an extra strap that anchors the sling around your body
2 - go slow - try the wimpy rides first - see how it goes

Was thinking about that type of sling but not sure it would be easy to take off for rides like FoP.

I didn't get my first broken bone until I was 58! I broke my arm, literally just below the shoulder, and had to wear a sling for months. The only silver lining was that because I was a Good Girl, and I followed doctor's orders, I didn't have to have surgery. No one even gave me a sticker! LOL

You may be pleasantly surprised - my ortho (and his wife) are HUGE Disney fans (as are several of my doctors) and so the conversations are actually pretty easy.

But, failing that, you can always ask about things that you *can't* you do - that will inform your decisions about what you can still do. So, if the doc says "No roller coasters" then we know exactly which rides you have to avoid. If it's "nothing bumpy" or "nothing where you will slide on the seat" for example, then you know that Toy Story Mania and Swirling Saucers will be a no-go.

I agree with @gap2368 - wear the sling, because it gives a good visual cue that people should treat that side with care. And use First Aid if you need it; you can get an ice pack, or some Tylenol, or lay down for a bit if you need to.

You can also have family members create a "bubble" on that side of your body - making sure that someone in your group is always "covering" that side to help prevent other Guests from bumping into your elbow.

If your sling is black, it may get very hot in the sun; consider bringing along a towel or a lightweight shawl or something to help keep the sun off of the sling.

If walking with the sling is more tiring (when I broke my shoulder last year, for some reason, walking with the sling about drove me nuts LOL) then consider renting a wheelchair, and having a family member push you. Remember to keep someone on your injured side to make that bubble and protect your elbow!

And last, but not least, think ahead to how you will get into/out of ride vehicles with just one hand/arm available. Take your time, and make sure that you have assistance ready from someone in your group in case you need it.

Just wanted to offer sympathy... I'm here reading because my husband broke his foot this weekend and our trip is 9 days away. We are waiting for his orthopedist visit this week but are hoping we can still go.

I'd be worried about any ride with extreme motion. You think you can do EE, but if you can only hold on with one hand, what will happen to your body on the "bad arm" side? Will the lack of the second anchor point cause you to lean heavily on the bad arm? Also avoid Alien Saucer swirl, well, it seems pretty obvious to avoid any ride with SWIRL in it!

Last edited:
Look at the harnesses for the rides. If you can take your sling off by that time, it may not be an issue but if you are having pain when the sling is off, some of the over the shoulder harnesses may be tough (EE, etc.) Also remember that rides like BTMRR, Dinosaur, and Safari do tend to bounce you around a bit so make sure you account for that.

As someone who is injured fairly often, I'll start with my usual response. You'll probably be just fine; start from that position. So to answer your questions...
  1. Yes, wear the sling. If nothing else it communicates to people you meet that you are injured.
    • An elastic band that can be attached that secures the sling around your torso is a good thing to have on hand. (more on this)
    • An even better option is an actual cast. You don't need one but it will do a better job of getting noticed and people will take it more seriously.
      • A product called Delta-Cast or Delta-Lite is the lightweight fiberglass cast material they use now. It can be bought on Amazon.
      • It's easy to apply.
      • It can be cut in half longways making it removable when not needed. Put on and wrap with self adhesive tape.
  2. I would avoid any ride that absolutely requires 2 hands to hold myself in place. This really does not eliminate very many rides.
    • If you secure your game arm to your torso it will essentially be immobile relative to the rest of you.
    • People do most of the roller coaster without holding on with their hands at all. You'll be surprised at what you can get away with with a healing broken limb.
Here's a last bit of advice. Whatever pain management approach you are on, it assumes a normal daily routine. A trip to WDW isn't that. Before you go on vacation, tell your doctor that you will do your best to favor and care for your arm but the very nature of this sort of vacation involves pushing yourself more than you normally would; and ask if a short course of stronger pain management meds. might be appropriate. If the Doc agrees, take them. Take them before you hurt and you'll use less of them.

Beyond that. push yourself a little, take care of yourself more, and have fun.

I worry about you, my friend!
I work with hammers and heavy metal (large metal structures not like lead or dysprosium). I break something about once every two or three years.

I'm 45 now and don't heal like I used to so I really do need to slow down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter