• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Temp Checks

Family style is way superior to a buffet when you have little ones. No more chaos trying to get plates for your toddlers and bonus the food is hot and fresh. I for one love the changeover of the buffets to family style all you can eat.
I wonder though which one leads to more food waste; buffet or family style? That will ultimately determine which one wins out in the end.

I wonder though which one leads to more food waste; buffet or family style? That will ultimately determine which one wins out in the end.
Plus the cost of staffing in one format versus the other.

I mean family style definitely costs more to staff. Food waste is a very small portion of the expenses of a restaurant, but labor costs are not. That said, is anyone seriously contending that the food quality of the buffets was better than the food quality (and freshness/heat) of the family style restaurants? All the reviews of the family style converted buffet restaurants (like Chef Mickeys) so far appear to be glowing. Chef Mickey's was a restaurant that was known for having pretty crappy food before, and that appears to have much improved. I'd really love for the regular character parts of the meals to come back when the health situation improves, but I, for one, am not rushing the return of buffets over family style.

I mean family style definitely costs more to staff. Food waste is a very small portion of the expenses of a restaurant, but labor costs are not. That said, is anyone seriously contending that the food quality of the buffets was better than the food quality (and freshness/heat) of the family style restaurants? All the reviews of the family style converted buffet restaurants (like Chef Mickeys) so far appear to be glowing. Chef Mickey's was a restaurant that was known for having pretty crappy food before, and that appears to have much improved. I'd really love for the regular character parts of the meals to come back when the health situation improves, but I, for one, am not rushing the return of buffets over family style.
I think it’s important to look at the positives from this. Some of the COVId changes have been a net positive. I hope surprise character cavalcade are a thing that continue at Disney. It’s much nicer then having to line up for an hour to see a parade. Ditto with random character pop-ups. I want meet and greets to come back but the random character pop ups without having to wait in line are awesome. I think the improved food quality and ease of service with family style meals is a good thing. I’m sure there are other changes I’m missing.

I would think family style has more waste. At a buffet I can pick the items I want. At family style if they bring some of each thing a lot can go wasted. I went in a solo trip in January and to Biergarten which is now family style and I wasted a ton of what I was brought but also left totally full.

Chef Mickey was fully booked even back when the reviews were lackluster. They will undoubtedly go with whichever setup has the lowest overhead cost. So I think they’ll get back to buffet at some point.

Not disagreeing that it isn't good, but we can't live in a sterile world and the "other stuff" helps our immune systems to build natural immunity over time. Cleaning and using alcohol to clean is what is helping to create certain bacteria that is resistant to antibiotics and other methods to kill that "other stuff". We don't need another superbug down the road.
Exatly I have a sister in law who is a nurse who say not to use hand santizer unless it's ablostly nesesarcy, even now i try not to use it unles I have someone at a store tell me that they want mee to becuse of it being their polcy for me to go in.

temp checks missed the mark. adults know if they have a temp! what you want to do is stop an asymptomatic infectious person from entering. rapid antigen tests would do that........

Not disagreeing that it isn't good, but we can't live in a sterile world and the "other stuff" helps our immune systems to build natural immunity over time. Cleaning and using alcohol to clean is what is helping to create certain bacteria that is resistant to antibiotics and other methods to kill that "other stuff". We don't need another superbug down the road.
I try and tell people this and it usually doesn't go over well. Antibacterial soap is just as bad. Regular soap and water gets the job done. And, if people are using sanitizer for covid, experts have found that covid does not spread easily on surfaces. I told my kids to not use the hand sanitizer at school any longer. Wash hands after going to the bathroom and before eating. Other than that, build some immunity.

I think it’s important to look at the positives from this. Some of the COVId changes have been a net positive. I hope surprise character cavalcade are a thing that continue at Disney. It’s much nicer then having to line up for an hour to see a parade. Ditto with random character pop-ups. I want meet and greets to come back but the random character pop ups without having to wait in line are awesome. I think the improved food quality and ease of service with family style meals is a good thing. I’m sure there are other changes I’m missing.

Sorry, not a fan of the cavalcades. It's like watching one firework go off at random times every hour or so. Parades and firework displays are a big part of the magic of Disney - and those cavalcades are an anti-climatic whimper. If Disney thinks those are the "new normal" - not with my money. Disney's already getting a pass because I'm currently paying the same premium price (actually more since I can't get an AP) - for about half the magic.

Also, keep in mind that the parades, fireworks, and shows were HUGE population distribution events. Their regular presence made it far easier to ride certain 'hard to ride' attractions because they would literally suck people out of the attraction queues. Without them - with cavalcades (no disruption) - there's only one thing to do: stand in ride lines. Or I guess eat.

Oh and the family style vs. buffet discussion is a bit silly. It (family style) works for some venues - but for others it won't. Imagine eating at Boma 'family style'... my family would have 50 different things on the table. Again, not with my money.

A Disney experience is not exactly cheap (heck, it's down right pricey). The time for Disney to 'get a pass' is just about over. About everyone in the land can get a highly effective vaccine now (including down to 12 years old as of this evening) - so no more excuses. And since a certain segment of our population will likely never get vaccinated, time for Disney to fully reopen and return the issue of health within the parks to one of personal responsibility - just like before COVID.

Otherwise, I'm sure some of Disney's competitors would love to steal some of their loot.

Sorry, not a fan of the cavalcades. It's like watching one firework go off at random times every hour or so. Parades and firework displays are a big part of the magic of Disney - and those cavalcades are an anti-climatic whimper. If Disney thinks those are the "new normal" - not with my money. Disney's already getting a pass because I'm currently paying the same premium price (actually more since I can't get an AP) - for about half the magic.

Also, keep in mind that the parades, fireworks, and shows were HUGE population distribution events. Their regular presence made it far easier to ride certain 'hard to ride' attractions because they would literally suck people out of the attraction queues. Without them - with cavalcades (no disruption) - there's only one thing to do: stand in ride lines. Or I guess eat.

Oh and the family style vs. buffet discussion is a bit silly. It (family style) works for some venues - but for others it won't. Imagine eating at Boma 'family style'... my family would have 50 different things on the table. Again, not with my money.

A Disney experience is not exactly cheap (heck, it's down right pricey). The time for Disney to 'get a pass' is just about over. About everyone in the land can get a highly effective vaccine now (including down to 12 years old as of this evening) - so no more excuses. And since a certain segment of our population will likely never get vaccinated, time for Disney to fully reopen and return the issue of health within the parks to one of personal responsibility - just like before COVID.

Otherwise, I'm sure some of Disney's competitors would love to steal some of their loot.
This! We have gone a few times since they reopened & were very tolerant of the necessary changes. But, we will be taking along break if things don’t change back soon.

Universal is already is. They have now reopened all kids play areas, seating every seat, single rider is back and the rest is coming soon. At their rate I will be shocked if they keep masks outdoors when walking around much longer, give it another month while all the other changes play out first.

Universal is already is. They have now reopened all kids play areas, seating every seat, single rider is back and the rest is coming soon. At their rate I will be shocked if they keep masks outdoors when walking around much longer, give it another month while all the other changes play out first.

My six flags isn't even doing that much. No single rider and while they are not every other row in coasters leaving a seat between parties. Monster mansion (Boat ride) are one party per boat.

I would think family style has more waste. At a buffet I can pick the items I want. At family style if they bring some of each thing a lot can go wasted. I went in a solo trip in January and to Biergarten which is now family style and I wasted a ton of what I was brought but also left totally full.

Depends on the throughput...at Disney, that's probably true. But a weeknight family buffet probably has more waste than a weeknight family style set up, since buffet food can only stay on a buffet for "x" amount of time before it all needs to be tossed...so you're tossing what folks don't eat on their plates, and what isn't taken from the buffet in a certain period of time.

I think Disney's throughput probably prevents much of this type of waste...

Depends on the throughput...at Disney, that's probably true. But a weeknight family buffet probably has more waste than a weeknight family style set up, since buffet food can only stay on a buffet for "x" amount of time before it all needs to be tossed...so you're tossing what folks don't eat on their plates, and what isn't taken from the buffet in a certain period of time.

I think Disney's throughput probably prevents much of this type of waste...
I like the family style much better then buffet style, but even I have to admit that that the single greatest cost to restaurants isn’t food, it’s labor. Any savings made up by family style restaurants on food waste is going to be quickly overrun by increased labor costs.

Disney announced they are dropping down to the 3ft distancing soon today. Looks like they are intentionally slow walking these announcements out, seems like a good bet that more of the shows and fireworks may be back sometime this summer (If the current announcement pattern holds, check back next Wednesday for another announcement). If you want to see what 3ft distancing looks like, see what's going on at Universal now.

I like the family style much better then buffet style, but even I have to admit that that the single greatest cost to restaurants isn’t food, it’s labor. Any savings made up by family style restaurants on food waste is going to be quickly overrun by increased labor costs.
With 4 littles I like family style too. Otherwise we end up standing in the buffet line 3+ times just to get 1 plate of food each.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter